• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

yyzjohn

Banned
My Pixel XL was delivered today and I wasn't home when the Purolator truck came by the house. Now have to go and pick it up tomorrow. Pissed.

Stock Android is over rated. Buy an Exynos S7 Edge next year after the S8 series comes out. I'm pretty sure that supports all bands and it will be still be a beast of a phone. Exynos processors shit on Qualcomm's now. My Tab S2 that I used to own never lagged and it used the same processor Exynos 5433 that was in the Note 4...

I'm kind of miffed with Samsung stuff, even though I know it has some awesome stuff. I guess having an S4 for 2.5 years made a bit sour on Samsung devices. But yeah, I really hope more companies make their own SoC processors. Makes for good competition and even may drive down the price of Qualcomm's shit.

reKon

Banned
The exynos s7 doesn't work with any CDMA bands.

Damn, sucks for him.

I'm kind of miffed with Samsung stuff, even though I know it has some awesome stuff. I guess having an S4 for 2.5 years made a bit sour on Samsung devices. But yeah, I really hope more companies make their own SoC processors. Makes for good competition and even may drive down the price of Qualcomm's shit.

Samsung devices are fine now. I hopped in right in the perfect moment because I haven't had the same terrible experiences that others have had in the past w/ TouchWiz. The last Samsung phone had before this one was the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm not even sure if that counts since I was running on stock Android the entire time.

Somebody at Best Buy had a Pixel and was looking for a case. All the mobile employees were fawning over the phone and I wanted to butt in, but was busy getting an order issue fixed. The blue looks really nice in person. If it had a black front I would definitely get it over the "Quite Black" option.

The pixel "just works"

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/20/op...id-phone-ever/

Honestly, this guy does shit on Android quite a bit.
Good to hear.

I'll admit if google can make a big leap in design/features next year I may be tempted, even with the big iphone update year. If they can match the bezeless front and embedded fingerprint sensor and waterproofing and throw in 3d touch and OIS and all that shit. It would be a toss up for me because the pixel really does run well. I played with one for a solid 20 minutes and it almost seemed like a different OS at times. Maybe it will be running a different OS in andromeda next year :p

Jeffrey

The question is how long the pixel will just work? Will 8.0 kill the battery?

Any instances of memory leak?

Btw can you buy a pixel in store yet? Is the best buy one unlocked or Verizon?

Can't be too careful but I always wanted to try this

16%2B-%2B1

NotBacon

That Android community 180...

2 weeks ago: "wtf is this shit?"
reviews hit: "okay it's really good but it's still bland and competitively priced expensive"
this morning: "wow it actually looks great in person"
now: "my order says processing, anyone else?"

Everyone comes around in the end to the most consistent user experience. That's why the iPhone is so popular and the same thing will happen with the Pixel.

No one gives a fuck about sd cards or wireless charging when you don't have 1/2 second touch delays and have easier to use and less buggy software.

No Love

Banned
Yeah honestly that is a big deal to me. I love my Axon 7 but there are some annoyances about it that really frustrate during those critical moments.

#1. Weak ass signal. Needs moar barz. Needs a better hardware modem most likely.

#2. The contacts is broken when you try to add people via Hangouts. The add contact button won't appear when you hit add contact in Hangouts or anything else so you have to fucking switch to the contacts app manually, make a new contact, then try to add the contact again by searching for the new contact name you made. VERY ANNOYING and a total time-waster.

#3. Camera needs better focusing and lowlight.

#4. Battery life could be better.

I'm sure the Pixel XL will solve all these problems however the screen won't really be better, the audio will be much worse, and it'll cost me an extra 500.

Guess it just goes to show you that 500 is a premium minute to minute experience fee.

ArchAngel

reviews hit: "okay it's really good but it still bland and competitively priced expensive"

This happens every year. EVERY YEAR!

reKon

Banned
The pixel "just works"

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/20/o...its-the-least-frustrating-android-phone-ever/

Honestly, this guy does shit on Android quite a bit.

"These are all commonplace on Android phones. Today after using my Google Pixel all day, I turned on my Galaxy S7 edge and brought it out to dinner with me. That was when it hit me how much I’ve been just accepting as normal. The phone had been on for 20 minutes, and I unlocked it, cleared a few notifications, and tapped the home button. I scrolled over a page and tapped on the Twitter app, and it hung for a solid 5 seconds before even opening. It eventually opened, yeah, and after I closed it and opened it back up there wasn’t a problem. But it was frustrating."

OK this has never happen to me with my phone. Like ever...

Wtf is this shit... What do you guys do with your phones to have shit like this happen? I'm honestly puzzled.... I have like 5 gigs of internal space left in my phone and don't have any of these issues of slowing down and lagging.

Thanks.

Has anyone tried it at a POS terminal? I presume it should work fine there too.

I'd quite like to update to the beta, although losing Night Mode really sucks.

Google tells you when it's disabled for beta when you open the app. I haven't done a purchase but you should be good to go.

Sky Chief

This happens every year. EVERY YEAR!

And it's certainly not only an Android thing

"Who the fuck would buy a phone without a headphone jack?"
"Hmm, waterproofing is a great feature but it's still the same design as the last two years"
"Man I forgot how cool black phones looked"
"I just got shipping confirmation on my dongles!"

Jeffrey

Guess it depends on the person. I skipped on the iPhone 7 and got a 6s instead.

Still like my axon 7 and am interested in the mate 9 and rumored one plus 3 update.

So does the pixel fix 3rd party apps or something? Never had any real issue with core system apps on android phones for the most part. It's 3rd party that gets wonky.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
lol I thought it was some sort of lifehack like "charge your phone over a bucket of water and it charges 10% faster" or something.

Ha

Also oddity in 7.1.1 the shortcut to disable battery saver isn't there anymore you actually have to hit the battery icon then hit the toggle. Ok the shortcut for the battery saver is now at 5% instead of 15% battery saver still turns on at 15% tho

Doing a battery burn since I never did it after the update the other day. Full brightness and watching stuff using vlc and it isn't going down as fast as I thought will charge it up then and drain it again

Mindwipe

Everyone comes around in the end to the most consistent user experience. That's why the iPhone is so popular and the same thing will happen with the Pixel.

No one gives a fuck about sd cards or wireless charging when you don't have 1/2 second touch delays and have easier to use and less buggy software.

They really don't. If they did the iPhone would have stopped being popular a long time ago.

I didn't buy a Pixel still. I still think it looks mediocre and feature poor for the price. I am literally hanging on a rapidly dying Z3 Compact until February instead in the hope a decent phone is announced.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can't be too careful but I always wanted to try this

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Pzx2VnbnYZA/WAmHkihLu8I/AAAAAAAHLbo/VfOjmNSYKj0_nhRUXN9CoV-0eLkn5spIwCJoC/w1855-h2300-p-rw/16%2B-%2B1[img][/QUOTE]

Any particular reason you're not returning this handheld death machine?

PurolatorHelp

Neo Member
My Pixel XL was delivered today and I wasn't home when the Purolator truck came by the house. Now have to go and pick it up tomorrow. Pissed.

Hi yyzjohn,

If you prefer, we can schedule a second attempt of delivery on Monday.

You can send the tracking information to customer.care@purolator.com, we’ll make the arrangements for you.

Cheers,

Catherine
Customer CareTeam/ Purolator Inc.
E-mail: customer.care@purolator.com / Twitter Handle: @PurolatorHelp

mackattk

Got my Z play in yesterday. Charged it up to 100% and after 2.5 hours of playing with it through boom beach, general website browsing, installing/updating stuff it only get down to 82%. Really looking forward to seeing how long I can go this weekend without having to charge it. Enjoying this quite a bit more than the Axon 7, so I am glad I switched out to it. If it wasn't for the Z Play I would probably be getting a pixel.

Are there any alternative locations/sites that host google factory images?

I am getting just 30 kbps from Google trying to download 6p factory image to unbrick my 6p.

I got my Z Play as well and like others have said the battery is a beast, however it is a boring ass phone so i'll probably be returning it. The design is ugly just feels too bulky. Also it came with a woodgrain looking back cover and i guess because there is no magnet at the top of the phone there is a good amount of play on the top of the cover which is annoying once you notice it its hard to forget about it. Also the camera can't focus for dick. Performance wise it's great but just too blah for me.

hitgirl

Been one week since I put my RMA into Google for my 5X and have not received a confirmation email or anything. Called them and they say to keep waiting.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Been one week since I put my RMA into Google for my 5X and have not received a confirmation email or anything. Called them and they say to keep waiting.
I got mine instantly.

It crashes into a boot loop when I try to use the camera. Piece of junk. Can't wait to RMA.

reviews hit: "okay it's really good but it's still bland and competitively priced expensive"

This is why I start cackling when I see people forcing themselves to by cheap tickets boxes instead of true stability. No one's saying you have to spend the money you don't have.. But I'd rather spend mine knowing my phone is going to work regardless of how boring it is rather than to compromise on tacky features that aren't even at their most stable to give it that much of a look.. Please lol. It's like do you boo, you'll see the light soon.

Goodbye to all of that ✋🏾

mokeyjoe

I imagine they have to overshoot the rating in order to make sure all units comply with it. Even so, these are brand new phones and who knows if the water resistance holds up over time?

Personally I don't think phones really need to do much more than stand up to the odd spill and brief dunking, it's not as if you're going to be going swimming with it. Anything more than that is largely for peace of mind.

mackattk

I imagine they have to overshoot the rating in order to make sure all units comply with it. Even so, these are brand new phones and who knows if the water resistance holds up over time?

Personally I don't think phones really need to do much more than stand up to the odd spill and brief dunking, it's not as if you're going to be going swimming with it. Anything more than that is largely for peace of mind.

At the very worst a brief dunk in a toilet.. anything more than that is overkill. waterproof would be really nice to have, but i don't think my usage patterns would change any knowing that it is... so baring any water accidents (fortunately I have never had any), waterproofing is just a bullet point, nothing more.

Ty4on

Rain and snow. It'd be really nice to use the phone in rain without worrying or not being afraid of dropping it in snow/puddles.

Phones are so tightly screwed together I think it should be standard on flagships.

Top Bottom