• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Watevaman

I'm loving my S7 so far, but I was wondering if you guys knew of a program that could set my ringtone/notification sound levels at certain times? I used to run it on vibrate all the time, but now that I have a signal at my house again and use my phone as my alarm, I turn the volume to max at home and forget to turn it back to vibrate at work. Is there anything out there that lets me, say, set a time period where my volume is full, one where the phone is on vibrate, etc.?

I know it's simple as hell but if it can be automated I'd love to do that.

I'm loving my S7 so far, but I was wondering if you guys knew of a program that could set my ringtone/notification sound levels at certain times? I used to run it on vibrate all the time, but now that I have a signal at my house again and use my phone as my alarm, I turn the volume to max at home and forget to turn it back to vibrate at work. Is there anything out there that lets me, say, set a time period where my volume is full, one where the phone is on vibrate, etc.?

Tasker would do this also Automate

linkboy

I really regret cheaping out and getting the 5X when I had the cash to go with a 6P. Just my two cents, certainly not a power user as well. I just want to install 10 apps and have the phone run smoothly.

I'm tempted to blame SwiftKey for the majority of my problems but the stock keyboard really isn't very good. I think the spec bump to the 6P would help.

Have you used the latest version of Google's keyboard. It's a great update.

Another good keyboard is BlackBerry's. It's not an official release from BlackBerry, but I've been running it on my Nexus 6 for a while now and haven't had any issues.

BlackBerry Manager

Aiii

So not worth it

Nights Keeper is pretty much the GOAT of DnD apps. Lets you set any kind of defaults, you can mute media sounds so you don't accidentally alert the office when an ad pops up in an app during work too.

ukas

Or turn off location services.

Of course, the reality is that your phone provider has this data via cell tower triangulation as well, they just don't tell you.

Yep, either way your being tracked. It's not the first time a news outlet has brought this up and tried to make a big deal about it. I'm sure a few others will jump on this story too.

The March update fixed performance for about two weeks. Every monthly update refreshes phone performance for a few days, until the slowdown returns.

I'm most annoyed by the inconsistent opening of the camera. I have a baby, and I can't trust this phone to take a photo on cue.

Thats not the update refreshing performance month its the fact that your phone is rebooting when it does the update.

Honestly, not seeing the performance issues on my phone. Even the double tap to open the camera was fixed for me.

Yep, either way your being tracked. It's not the first time a news outlet has brought this up and tried to make a big deal about it. I'm sure a few others will jump on this story too.

If only they'd build some more useful user-facing features around the constant tracking. I'm still waiting for location aware profiles, for example. I'm sure it takes a lot to implement it and make it viable for end-users, only for it to be used by 3% of the user-base, but at least gives us a good reason to get tracked all the time. Not to mention that they're partly doing location aware profiles with secure places anyway.

Asgaro

You might want to check out MM's built-in automatic sound rules.

tzXaZ6Y.png

I'm still a student so don't have a job, but if I were to have one I would find Total Silence really handy!
Why? Because when I simply go in Vibration Mode by pushing the volume all the way down, apps like e.g. Snapchat still give audio when you play a snap!

With Total Silence you are completely sure nothing can be heard during lessons/work.

Now, I don't think the above options can trigger Vibration Mode, so if you really need vibrations, better to use third party apps.

How Android tracks your every move

So they're basically saying, if you want to become a professional criminal, use an iPhone.

As somebody who is fascinated by my location data, I've always liked that if I'm wrongly charged with a crime my phone could probably give me a solid alibi.

Of course if I transition into criminal scum sooner or later I'll have to leave the phone at home.

If only they'd build some more useful user-facing features around the constant tracking. I'm still waiting for location aware profiles, for example. I'm sure it takes a lot to implement it and make it viable for end-users, only for it to be used by 3% of the user-base, but at least gives us a good reason to get tracked all the time. Not to mention that they're partly doing location aware profiles with secure places anyway.

Isn't this the foundation of Google Now? The traffic and commute alerts are worth it for me... I can't think of any phone feature that has improved my life more (since the advent of SMS or GPS) than the auto-alert of what my morning/evening commute is, with built in alternative routes.

Quixzlizx

As somebody who is fascinated by my location data, I've always liked that if I'm wrongly charged with a crime my phone could probably give me a solid alibi.

Of course if I transition into criminal scum sooner or later I'll have to leave the phone at home.

Isn't this the foundation of Google Now? The traffic and commute alerts are worth it for me... I can't think of any phone feature that has improved my life more (since the advent of SMS or GPS) than the auto-alert of what my morning/evening commute is, with built in alternative routes.

Google Now always alerts me about traffic problems about 5 minutes too late. I wish it could figure out that I usually leave the office at 5.

Talon

I'm still a student so don't have a job, but if I were to have one I would find Total Silence really handy!
Why? Because when I simply go in Vibration Mode by pushing the volume all the way down, apps like e.g. Snapchat still give audio when you play a snap!

With Total Silence you are completely sure nothing can be heard during lessons/work.

Now, I don't think the above options can trigger Vibration Mode, so if you really need vibrations, better to use third party apps.
Jesus Christ, Android.

Hasney

To control media audio, just press the down arrow next to the volume slider once hitting volume down. Then you can mute media volume seperate.

Necrovex

Just returned to the U.S., and saw my backup phone of a Galaxy S5 arrived. I've been an iPhone user for a few years, but my phone was breaking and I decided to order a backup before it died. In the end, the iPhone was stolen when I was in Swaziland. But enough about that, I now have a S5, and I know very little about Android phones. Would anyone give me any advice about them, and apps I should really have on there?

Trying to take care of all this before I go back to South Africa, where I will have a dickens of a time having reliable wifi.

this_guy

Just returned to the U.S., and saw my backup phone of a Galaxy S5 arrived. I've been an iPhone user for a few years, but my phone was breaking and I decided to order a backup before it died. In the end, the iPhone was stolen when I was in Swaziland. But enough about that, I now have a S5, and I know very little about Android phones. Would anyone give me any advice about them, and apps I should really have on there?

Trying to take gear of all this before I go back to South Africa, where I will have a dickens of a time having reliable wifi.

Did you turn off iMessage? It's going to eat up text messages sent to your new phone if you didn't disable it.

reKon

Banned
the hp chromebook 13 is actually the one I bought. Can't wait to get it , looks bootyful. Don't really care for a touchscreen so I didn't hold out for a touch version.

When are you going to be receiving this? Apparently it's been released at the end up April and yet I don't see any full reviews for it? Also, you can't even buy it directly from the HP web site? Why are they treating this laptop differently?

Asgaro

To control media audio, just press the down arrow next to the volume slider once hitting volume down. Then you can mute media volume seperate.

Ah didn't know that. Now I use a shortcut panel in my notification shade which, among others, displays all the volume sliders and their value.

I still think it's not intuitive to not automatically mute all sounds when the user switched to vibration. Don't see the use case for the current implementation...

I still think it's not intuitive to not automatically mute all sounds when the user switched to vibration. Don't see the use case for the current implementation...

I prefer to keep my notifications on vibrate all the time, but still listen to podcasts, play games, watch videos, or use Google Maps navigation. For those cases, it makes sense to keep the media volume separate from notification volume / vibration setting.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I prefer to keep my notifications on vibrate all the time, but still listen to podcasts, play games, watch videos, or use Google Maps navigation. For those cases, it makes sense to keep the media volume separate from notification volume / vibration setting.
Yup. Exactly why I prefer different volume controls. We just need a mute switch. Those are great.

When are you going to be receiving this? Apparently it's been released at the end up April and yet I don't see any full reviews for it? Also, you can't even buy it directly from the HP web site? Why are they treating this laptop differently?
I have it already. Just got it today. Absolutely love it. Super high quality and thin and snappy and whatnot. Dat fast charging too.

Not sure how it is for america but in canada there are lots of distributors to get it from.

reKon

Banned
I have it already. Just got it today. Absolutely love it. Super high quality and thin and snappy and whatnot. Dat fast charging too.

Not sure how it is for america but in canada there are lots of distributors to get it from.

You have a desktop PC? One of the things I want to try if I go the chromebook route is using chrome remote desktop to stream using the PS4 remote play app on PC. Not sure if I'd be able to hook up my PS4 controller directly to the chromebook and get that working properly though.

Also, any comments on the trackpad?

You have a desktop PC? One of the things I want to try if I go the chromebook route is using chrome remote desktop to stream using the PS4 remote play app on PC. Not sure if I'd be able to hook up my PS4 controller directly to the chromebook and get that working properly though.

Also, any comments on the trackpad?
I do have a desktop pc but I've never tried that. Depends what you want to know about the trackpad. It's definitely on the smaller side, not too small but it's not a large trackpad. It's also not glass from what I can tell. With that said, it works perfectly and is very responsive and feels good to the touch.

Just a reminder of how bad microsoft is at trackpad drivers on windows. In fact using chrome OS these days shows you much MS needs to slim down.

Fatalah

Question: Do Verizon edition phones put LTE and CDMA on separate chips, so you can use LTE data and CDMA voice calling simultaneously? (i.e. 2013 Moto X)

Advanced calling 2.0 (VoLTE) stinks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I really regret cheaping out and getting the 5X when I had the cash to go with a 6P. Just my two cents, certainly not a power user as well. I just want to install 10 apps and have the phone run smoothly.

I'm tempted to blame SwiftKey for the majority of my problems but the stock keyboard really isn't very good. I think the spec bump to the 6P would help.

There is zero reason any phone from the Nexus 5 onward shouldn't be able to run day to day tasks fine with an 8XX chipset and enough RAM depending upon the screen res.

There has to be some other Android jankyness at play here.

Where'd you get it in Canada? I haven't seen an HP Chromebook 13 anywhere... how much did you get it for too?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The 100%-waterproof, easy-carry pouch that lets you keep using your smartphone

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

*100% waterproof up to IPX8, with enough room to hold most smartphones with displays of up to 5.5 inches.
*Crystal-clear front window enables unencumbered use of your smartphone’s touchscreen.
*Includes integrated hand strap and finger hook, plus detachable lanyard-style neck or shoulder strap – and a convenient credit-card-sized slip pocket.
*Made from strong 600-denier nylon and high-clarity transparent thermoplastic polyurethane.
Available in two bold colors — Lightning Yellow and Storm Black.

i'd buy one

Question: Do Verizon edition phones put LTE and CDMA on separate chips, so you can use LTE data and CDMA voice calling simultaneously? (i.e. 2013 Moto X)

Advanced calling 2.0 (VoLTE) stinks.

no. since ... !mid~ 2014 just about all of the newer Verizon and Sprint phones do not have the antenna diversity required to do CDMA+LTE.

that was seen as a stopgap solution to VoLTE

Omzz

Just got a 6P and had a random question. Do any of you guys have problems with calls when the other person is using bluetooth from the car? I thought it was a problem from the other end with the first call but then happened with two other people too. Voice would cut off in between and eventually couldn't even hear each other

Normal calls work but noticed this, really weird problem

Rejoice and be exceedingly glad that the Lords and Masters at Cellco Partnership aka Verizon Wireless Telecommunications have finally graced their carrier variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with a release of Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Sprint and T-Mobile got it months ago...

Top Bottom