• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Europol started a campaign to make the public more aware regarding mobile malware: https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/mobile-malware

I can't believe we still, to this day, don't have a solution to the Android update cycle. It's a mess with no end in sight: for instance the Pixel will only get 2 years of updates; 3 years of security updates. Still too short in my opinion. Also considering it's Google's.

One day, shit will hit the fan.

IIRC there was a post on XDA about how Android fragmentation is what keeps so many exploits from being so easily run across a wide array of devices.

mackattk

Anyone with Moto z play having some weird wifi power issues? Having wifi use 20% of my battery under gsam stats... Not sure if this is normal or not.

UclhfOP.png

Mindwipe

Europol started a campaign to make the public more aware regarding mobile malware: https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/mobile-malware

I can't believe we still, to this day, don't have a solution to the Android update cycle. It's a mess with no end in sight: for instance the Pixel will only get 2 years of updates; 3 years of security updates. Still too short in my opinion. Also considering it's Google's.

The shit is quite possibly going to hit the fan this year, and even if we had software updates the shit probably would have anyway. Rowhammer is a fucking scary exploit.

Gambit61

Anyone with Moto z play having some weird wifi power issues? Having wifi use 20% of my battery under gsam stats... Not sure if this is normal or not.

This is off battery with wifi always on and 5GHz wifi /wifi scanning disabled. I did get a weird mediaserver drain last week when using RSBrowser/Chrome so I switched Firefox and battery life has been great again. I found a bug report and posted about it here https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/EJSiLeWiN7Q

Ty4on

Does it help anything? I have my Bluetooth on all the time because of my Pebble, but I turn WiFi off when I leave the house. Partly because it improves battery life, but also because as I walk around it connects to public WiFi spots I don't have access to, effectively cutting my internet.
That shit is so annoying. I keep forgetting to turn wifi back on when I come home and wonder why my phone is getting so hot.

My commute goes by the airport which has public internet you have to log into and the phone always connects to it.
Not quite the same issue, but at Uni the sheer number of wifi access points messes up BT. If I turn off Wifi the chance of losing connection to my BT headset seems lower.
cutting your internet?
it supposedly improves locating (faster locating = less battery spent trying to locate)
- but if you turn off locating, then I guess this makes no difference to you.

seems like Android has changed its CA certificate requirements too :/
You can set Android to use wifi for location even when wifi is "turned off". It's the "Scanning always available" setting at "Advanced wifi" on my device.

RuGalz

The shit is already hitting the fan, many are just not aware of it. The update solution is there. If you want fast, good update/support, you have to pay for it that's what it comes down to. 3 yrs is fine by me, the battery turns to shit by that point anyway. Google probably will be able to support it longer once they got their own SoC.

Good luck not hitting random stuff on the edges. You can implement software deadzone but GUIs are not designed to work with dead zones so you may end up having half or whole button in the dead zone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Also you have to turn the phone upside down to take a call because like the front facing camera everything has to be on the fucking bottom.

Hasney

If the phone looks that good and performs well while being 6.5", I don't care if I have to stick it up my ass to take a call or a selfie, I'm getting it.

Also you have to turn the phone upside down to take a call because like the front facing camera everything has to be on the fucking bottom.
No. You haven't payed attention, nor have read about this phone.
This phone uses groundbreaking tech so you can use it as any other phone.
http://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_teases_mi_mix_concept_with_borderless_display-news-21282.php

The earpiece and proximity sensor are completely hidden and had to be reimagined. The Mi MIX uses a piezoelectric ceramic driver for the earpiece and an ultrasonic proximity sensor, which works through the display.

Good luck not hitting random stuff on the edges. You can implement software deadzone but GUIs are not designed to work with dead zones so you may end up having half or whole button in the dead zone.

This is a solvable issue. In fact, next year's iPhone is going to be all screen, based on the rumors, and you know Apple will have an API-level native solution ready.

RuGalz

This is a solvable issue. In fact, next year's iPhone is going to be all screen, based on the rumors, and you know Apple will have an API-level native solution ready.

I don't expect Xiao Mi to go rewrite android to accommodate it. Devs will do whatever Apple require them to do in order to keep their apps in the store.

snacknuts

we all knew her
What you see may not be what you get -- there are reports that the device shown on stage was a non-functional dummy. Let's wait to see what the released product is like.

It comes out in less than two weeks, so I would imagine that is pretty close to what they'll be selling.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So MS is about to launch another chat app in their slack competitor MS Teams.

The amount of chat apps for work or home is just mind boggling. Idk how to keep track of them all.

mackattk

Hmm.. another weird thing. Under GSAM, it shows that there is data on wi-fi even though I haven't been connected to a wireless network.

Edit: I think I figured it out. It was Google Chrome of all things. I disabled location permission through app settings and the wi-fi drain is down to a more respectable 5%. Weird.

studyguy

My OnePlus2 Fingerprint sensor went dead.
Apparently it happens to do that every so often? It was giving me a FAIL on the sensor check, but now giving me a PASS this morning so it seems like I can probably get it going again. If I do I might just sell off and jump ship... where to is the question.

That Mi Note 2 looks sorta nice though the screen resolution is the only thing giving me pause, but I might just bite the bullet and go S7 to not worry about things any longer.

demented

Mi max is sexy but too big :( digging the note 2 tho, can't wait to see how much it will be at resellers and if I can find a way to avoid paying taxes and customs for it here. If under 500eur I'll get it.

co1onel

New Chrome update today. Not sure what they did but it's insanely fast now.
I couldn't tell if it was placebo or not, but it feels much faster on my pixel now. Gonna just drop rsbrowser since it's not much faster anymore, and I was getting weird graphical glitches with it.

Top Bottom