• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Turning animations down on the Pixel makes it disgustingly fast. For once I'm leaving the animations at full since it's so fast and smooth.

1. It's damn near as big as tablet.

2. It lacks proper support from the dev community.

3. Good luck getting proper American LTE band support.

4. Their skin is not the best on the market.

It's as big as an Iphone 7+

It will have proper dev support since it has a Snapdragon chipset.

Xiaomi may launch one with global bands

Their skin is fine.

The Xiaomi phone is absolutely gorgeous in MKBHD's video on it. It just looks so futuristic and it is definitely what I would like to see other smartphones evolve into. I thought it was going to be this huge phablet given the screen size, but it is only a tiny bit taller than the iPhone 7 Plus and not that much wider.

reKon

Banned
lol @ the haters in this thread. Keep sticking to your boring ass phones with uninspiring designs. I'm glad that there are companies like Xiaomi and Sharp that actually try new and interesting things and will build upon that

reKon

Banned
actually just watched the mkbhd video. This thing looks incredible. I'd love to handle a 5.5 inch version just to see how it is...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mi max is sexy but too big :( digging the note 2 tho, can't wait to see how much it will be at resellers and if I can find a way to avoid paying taxes and customs for it here. If under 500eur I'll get it.
It's not too big, if you do not consider the iPhone Plus to be too big. Don't focus on screen size. Remember, it has no bezel.

1. It's damn near as big as tablet.

2. It lacks proper support from the dev community.

3. Good luck getting proper American LTE band support.

4. Their skin is not the best on the market.
This post seems dismissive and negative for no reason. It's an awesome phone that pushes tech forward.

Why do people dislike it? You have Vanillalite talking nonsense about flipping the phone upside now. He's dismissive while demonstrating he knows nothing about it. Really? Why so harsh? What's upsetting about the phone? It seems cool to me.

Saiyan-Rox

That phone looks gorge holy shit O,O

Also first day using the Pixel XL and first thing I have to say is fuck are the notifications and ringtones bad! and I thought the ones cyanogenMod came with were awful.

It doesn't make sense to sell any of these highend $300 - $500 chinese phones in the US because the only way they make money is their services.
It does make sense in the same way the Koreans took over electronics from the Japanese. Go in with a lower price to get your foot in the marketplace then slowly raise your prices.

It does make sense in the same way the Koreans took over electronics from the Japanese. Go in with a lower price to get your foot in the marketplace then slowly raise your prices.

That doesn't mean they can pull it off in the US.

They would have to make serious relationships in the prepaid/budget segment and do some huge marketing.

Unfortunately that's their only entry and then they will be labeled as a cheap phone by American consumers.

In the end they will just lose a boatload of money and still have no brand recognition.

This is why Google went with a premium price. They have the brand name and that's the only way in.

Asgaro

Y7qEcN1.jpg

Meh, Runkeeper doesn't track as accurately when Pokemon Go is running.
Also see gaps in the route tracking: I have to switch every few minutes to Runkeeper for a short while to make sure it "catches up" with whatever it's doing.

Still prefer hatching eggs over accurate timings though!

Quasar

So it seems my iPad screen is dying (the screen has gone all green tinted). And assuming Apple won't fix it freely I'm either up for a large repair bill or buying a new 2 year old Air 2 as there's still no Air3, which really grates.

So I have been considering just getting a cheaper Android tablet. Thoughts?

I mostly use my iPad for media consumption, though also playing Digital board games.

Pixel C seems unavailable here. The Samsung S3 seems still unannounced here and it's apparently 16:10 which is bothersome as I mostly use my iPad in portrait.

tariniel

Does anyone know if I buy a used device from Swappa, will the manufacturer warranty still apply for me?

I'm considering an S7 Edge since the screen is gorgeous, I'd get the USA T-Mobile Snapdragon one if the warranty will transfer to me in case something goes wrong. If the warranty doesn't transfer no matter what then I'd rather look at the international Exynos version.

My other option is wait for some black Friday sales although there's no guarantee there.

Jeffrey

Does anyone know if I buy a used device from Swappa, will the manufacturer warranty still apply for me?

I'm considering an S7 Edge since the screen is gorgeous, I'd get the USA T-Mobile Snapdragon one if the warranty will transfer to me in case something goes wrong. If the warranty doesn't transfer no matter what then I'd rather look at the international Exynos version.

My other option is wait for some black Friday sales although there's no guarantee there.

Aren't warranties of the phone tied to the imei?

Outside of carrier specific warranties.

Furyous

SMH at y'all salivating over something that more than likely won't work in the US. Call me a hater all you want but this isn't coming stateside.

The OP3 Daydream edition or whatever it is called needs a microsd slot and IR blaster at bare minimum to justify that price. Toss in wireless charging since that $80 price tag is more than the estimated $62 cost of the S820.

Bloodember

SMH at y'all salivating over something that more than likely won't work in the US. Call me a hater all you want but this isn't coming stateside.

The OP3 Daydream edition or whatever it is called needs a microsd slot and IR blaster at bare minimum to justify that price. Toss in wireless charging since that $80 price tag is more than the estimated $62 cost of the S820.
All bands are present on the phone except for a few specific to carriers, so it'll work in the US.

teiresias

What's the most efficient way to get my entire Google Music library on my device rather than having to stream it? Make a playlist that includes every album in my collection and then download the playlist to my phone? Over wifi obviously.

Bloodember

It's most likey missing CDMA so there goes Sprint, US Cellular and Verizon.

All that's left is TMobile and ATT and are we sure it even has all their bands?
From the slides, it looks like it's missing band 12 and 17. It shows it has CDMA bands, just matters if the CDMA carriers allow it or if those bands are US based.

From the slides, it looks like it's missing band 12 and 17. It shows it has CDMA bands, just matters if the CDMA carriers allow it or if those bands are US based.

Be interesting to see if someone gets it working on Verizon than. Still don't think anyone will do it. Too much money to import with limited support from manufacturer/carriers.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It supports ATT's most important band (band 4) AND it also has band 2 support.

So, if you have ATT, you're pretty much in good shape with it.

But, expect it to go for $1100+ on ebay and the like, it's waaaay too popular now

reKon

Banned
Damn Honor 8 in blue is beautiful in person. It's darker than I thought it would be. Maybe it was the light that threw me off.

Did Google do something to Android to improve battery life?

I'm running 7.0 on 6P. Battery life took a big hit after the 7.0 update, but this last week it seems to have improved a good amount.

Noema

Wow Pure Nexus is a thing of glory. My Nexus 5X is feeling 3x faster than the 6P I was using.

Pure Nexus is the Creme de la Creme of custom ROMs.

I suggest trying out Elementalx kernel as well for maximum Android goodness.

Heck the pixel blue looks decent in person.

Every phone needs a blue version

My issue with the blue pixel is that front is white, which is disgusting and an affront to taste. With a black front it'd look cool.

A blue front would be rad.

Top Bottom