• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Heavy use on my Moto Z Play today. Off charger at 8:30am. Still at 63% with almost 4 hours SoT.
Man, I'm so jelly. The idea of using a phone, with zero concern for battery life or data limits, sounds amazing. As is, I am always thinking about how what I do will affect my use of the phone later in the day.

that big of a battery in a 7 mm phone is impressive. Looks like similar battery you're getting to an Exynos S7 Edge. Maybe even better.

what did you spend most of the time doing?

A ton of music which isn't even part of the SoT. A little YouTube and heavy web browsing. Was out all day and not needing to worry at all about the battery is not something I'm used to.

Got a pixel as my work phone to replace whatever samsung shit I was using. Man it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than other android phones. It just feels like a different OS compared to the other devices. Wish the battery was a tad better but my use case is probably weird because I get notifications literally every 12 seconds at work.

Won't use it as my personal line because I like the iphone 7 a bit more but if they can make some huge design improvements that match what everyone else will put out next year (minimal bezel/embedded sensors/etc...) it's going to be hard AF to choose.

Jeffrey

https://youtu.be/OVt1kvuXvMY

Only 'speed test' that ive found so far, but it seems like LE pro 3 is comparable performance wise to international s7 edge.

Not too shabby for a $300 phone that you can buy in the US. (I know I know. Nuk is nice).

I'm curious how's the battery life. Mine comes Tuesday and I'm a heavy phone user. Every phone requires a charge up around lunch time for me.

Furyous

*slams breaks hard as shit*
*cat scratching chalkboard sounds*

$1300?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This device's BOM cannot be over $325 if over $300 at all...

For $1300 I need:

A good $800 good faith discount due to lack of brand recognition
Pixel software and launcher
IR blaster
FM radio
Wireless charging's newest spec
10 day battery life with a minimum of 72 hours SOT
4500 mah battery
Microsd support
Lifetime upates from Google. Not two years and wait for the dev communityt os upport the device but LIFETIME UPDATES FROM GOOGLE.
I need a few more things as well but this is the PG version of this reply...
The Porsche Design (sigh) version is 1440p and $1300

Jeffrey

*slams breaks hard as shit*
*cat scratching chalkboard sounds*

$1300?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This device's BOM cannot be over $325 if over $300 at all...

For $1300 I need:

A good $800 good faith discount due to lack of brand recognition
Pixel software and launcher
IR blaster
FM radio
Wireless charging's newest spec
10 day battery life with a minimum of 72 hours SOT
4500 mah battery
Microsd support
Lifetime upates from Google. Not two years and wait for the dev communityt os upport the device but LIFETIME UPDATES FROM GOOGLE.
I need a few more things as well but this is the PG version of this reply...
The Porsche Design (sigh) version is 1440p and $1300

Well it's a limited edition device for rich folks. No one is buying that for value ;)

I honestly can't think of anything that would convince me to spend $1300 on a phone. I'm having a hard time being sold on a phone over $400 these days.

Jeffrey

Really curious if water damage is such a big deal from repair stores. I assume shattered screens is more common.

Last electronic that I dropped in the toilet was my gba. And that still worked lol.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tried out VR for the first time today on my Axon 7. Very positive first impressions, my kids were blown away. Lots of cool distractions, but for me the biggest use will be videos. The VR documentaries are incredible. The Axon with its front facing speakers and high res screen seem tailor made for VR. The down sides are it's a battery murdering vampire and after some time my phone got incredibly hot.

Knight77

Does anybody know how to get rid of the "Beta Progam" message after the boot when using, obviously, a Beta? I subscribed to the beta program to get the 7.1 update and even if is not big deal the pop-up message after the boot is a bit boring...

Jeffrey

How does it work though. Is there any current phones with front cameras hidden behind the screen?

China loves selfies so this gotta have a front camera somewhere.

How does it work though. Is there any current phones with front cameras hidden behind the screen?

China loves selfies so this gotta have a front camera somewhere.
rumour is that apple will embed front cam and other sensors behind the screen but I bet if that meizu phone is real then it just doesn't have one.

BiggNife

Just saw the V20 in person. Fantastic build. Great lightweight phone. Will probably be my next phone. Anybody get it?

After having a G3 that randomly stopped recognizing my SIM card and a G4 that just bricked itself out of nowhere after six months, I'm pretty sure I'm done with LG for at least a few years. It's a shame, because they make solid hardware and I love that their models focus on screen estate over bezels.

Jeffrey

man these oneplus 4 rumors are getting more and more ridiculous.

now its a 5.7 AMOLED 2k screen.

So current rumors are that + 8gb ram and 830. I assume dash charge 2 as well?

All it needs is 128gb ram and a larger battery and a better camera (XDA interview has their cofounder mention camera is priority now) and idk... what else.

All it needs is 128gb ram and a larger battery and a better camera (XDA interview has their cofounder mention camera is priority now) and idk... what else.

128GB of RAM huh? Let me guess, you need a 12K screen too?

I'm almost there. They still send hangout messages sometimes and the odd part is I'm the only one that uses the desktop app...

They refused to jump on hangouts. Somehow I managed to get them all on this because I promised the pictures and videos of my nieces and nephewswould come through clearer. Allo isn't perfect, but the group chat is great

tzare

Hopefully they focus on better camera, it is all that is (somehow) missing right now, for that price.

Btw, pixel owners, what are the terms for that unlimited cloud storage for photos? only pics taken with the pixel ? from any other device uploaded from the pixel o just unlimited ?
If conditions are good i may buy next year pixel (if they improve here and there of course)

taco543

Just saw the V20 in person. Fantastic build. Great lightweight phone. Will probably be my next phone. Anybody get it?
I bought it from T-Mobile got it delivered early, had it for a couple of days and dreaded it so very much. The UI they use is horrendous, which is the cause of all the other issues, the keyboard is awful and terrible at prediction, the settings is a joke to get around, and the default launcher has no app drawer. I had to install so many different qol changes that I didn't see the point in having the phone and returned it. All of that being said however the build of the phone, baring in mind the camera glass fiasco, was great and that quad dac was astonishing. But I honestly am better off with my Nexus 6p then I was with that phone. Not to mention all the boot loop issues that are plaguing lg phones.

Hopefully they focus on better camera, it is all that is (somehow) missing right now, for that price.

Btw, pixel owners, what are the terms for that unlimited cloud storage for photos? only pics taken with the pixel ? from any other device uploaded from the pixel o just unlimited ?
If conditions are good i may buy next year pixel (if they improve here and there of course)

Why would they allow it for other devices.? People would just use or buy a Pixel and return it and have unlimited photo uploads for life. Seems unrealistic.

Jeffrey

Why would they allow it for other devices.? People would just use or buy a Pixel and return it and have unlimited photo uploads for life. Seems unrealistic.

google could always check if you have a pixel logged into your gmail acc.

Would be kinda lame if its only limited to pixel imo.

RuGalz

I still have devices I no longer own registered in my account. If it weren't limited to Pixel, I can easily abuse the storage by uploading many TB of images/videos that I currently have on my server. There are many reasons why they'd limit it to Pixel only.

The product page says it's limited to images and videos uploaded from Pixel anyway.

Futureman

Connect to Chromecast via app.

Start movie/TV show.

Halfway through open app back up to take a pee.

Discover that Chromecast disconnected at some point and I can't pause.

Most likely reason?

1. Old Chromecast (pretty sure I have a 1st generation one, bought it in December 2014)
2. Using an iPad Air 1
3. Depends on app (seems to happen more often w/ HBO than Netflix)

tzare

I still have devices I no longer own registered in my account. If it weren't limited to Pixel, I can easily abuse the storage by uploading many TB of images/videos that I currently have on my server. There are many reasons why they'd limit it to Pixel only.

The product page says it's limited to images and videos uploaded from Pixel anyway.
So if i transfer my dslr photos to pixel and upload from there those are uploaded at full resolution with unlimited storage?

Your idea of lame doesn't not jive with a successful business model.

RCS on Messenger just might kill Allo.

RCS is a mess right now since all of the carriers are using their own implementation that doesn't work together. Allo also does a lot of cool things that the Google Messenger app just doesn't do. Also, you are never going to get encryption with RCS and Allo has encryption on by default that only breaks at google servers with the option of turning it on end-to-end.

Connect to Chromecast via app.

Start movie/TV show.

Halfway through open app back up to take a pee.

Discover that Chromecast disconnected at some point and I can't pause.

Most likely reason?

1. Old Chromecast (pretty sure I have a 1st generation one, bought it in December 2014)
2. Using an iPad Air 1
3. Depends on app (seems to happen more often w/ HBO than Netflix)

The new Google Play Services basically fixed pesky chromecast disconnects but yeah that's not going to work for Apple devices.

Top Bottom