• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

when has a successful business model ever not end up lame in some way for the consumers :p

Anyone play around with the new android auto app?

I gotcha. It just doesn't seem realistic from Google's view. They want people actively snapping photos with Pixel phones.

I downloaded the Auto app but it looks like the new update is going to be a slow rollout. Holy shit its exciting though. Its like bringing back the old Moto driving mode but on steroids.

Futureman

The new Google Play Services basically fixed pesky chromecast disconnects but yeah that's not going to work for Apple devices.

Sounds like that makes sense. I usually use the iPad but I've used my S7 from time to time and it seems to not have this issue.

I wonder why though on iPad Netflix seems to hold the Chromecast connection better than HBO?

Big Blue

Your idea of lame doesn't not jive with a successful business model.

RCS is a mess right now since all of the carriers are using their own implementation that doesn't work together. Allo also does a lot of cool things that the Google Messenger app just doesn't do. Also, you are never going to get encryption with RCS and Allo has encryption on by default that only breaks at google servers with the option of turning it on end-to-end.

The new Google Play Services basically fixed pesky chromecast disconnects but yeah that's not going to work for Apple devices.

https://jibe.google.com/

By aligning on the universal RCS profile - with Google providing the RCS Android client - carriers can now provide RCS messaging across the Android ecosystem.

Toki767

Galaxy S8 rumors seem kind of eh.

Their own assistant, no physical buttons, all glass edge to edge screen.

Just seems like a lot can go wrong.

Jeffrey

what are the odds of no headphone jack on s8? Like apple, samsung can profit nicely on their own proprietary stuff too if they wanted.

Ty4on

what are the odds of no headphone jack on s8? Like apple, samsung can profit nicely on their own proprietary stuff too if they wanted.

I don't think they're getting rid of it in the foreseeable future. My impression of Samsung is still that they throw the kitchen sink at products. Removing features only when pushed hard (removable battery for build quality).

this_guy

The vast majority of non-US carriers will. Just a matter of when.

Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T are listed as being committed to be part of the universal profile. Still need Verizon but if the US carriers commit then it would be a huge win. RCS is probably more important in the US because apps like Whatsapp and Telegram never took off here so sms is still huge.

I'm really tempted to upgrade to an S7 edge now from my HTC m8. Was going to wait to see what Samsung had up their sleeve for the s8 but with the s7 edge going for $500ish unlocked, the S8 doesn't sound like a huge step up hardware wise.

Jeffrey

I'm really tempted to upgrade to an S7 edge now from my HTC m8. Was going to wait to see what Samsung had up their sleeve for the s8 but with the s7 edge going for $500ish unlocked, the S8 doesn't sound like a huge step up hardware wise.

SD830 and next gen exynos switching to 10nm process could be a fairly big gamechanger in terms of battery life and performance. Best to wait until december which is probably around when Qualcomm reveals the 830 to see how that is.

SpecX

After the Note 7, I doubt Samsung will take any risks like this that will further piss off their costumers. If Apple shows huge success though from the removal, bet it will be gone by the S9 or 10 though.

SD830 and next gen exynos switching to 10nm process could be a fairly big gamechanger in terms of battery life and performance. Best to wait until december which is probably around when Qualcomm reveals the 830 to see how that is.

Hmm that's true though are we expecting there to be benchmarks out by then?

emag

New LeEco Le S3's battery is draining 10% per hour, just sitting there, after being plugged in/on wifi for updates all through the night. Moreover, even with the launcher replaced, the customizations are still very intrusive.

Will be returning it unless things change drastically within the next day.

RuGalz

So if i transfer my dslr photos to pixel and upload from there those are uploaded at full resolution with unlimited storage?

Probably have to change resolution and every EXIF tags to match Pixel as well.

New LeEco Le S3's battery is draining 10% per hour, just sitting there, after being plugged in/on wifi for updates all through the night. Moreover, even with the launcher replaced, the customizations are still very intrusive.

Will be returning it unless things change drastically within the next day.

Returned mine today after discovered that they locked the bootloader for the US release. I didn't even bother to open it.

Jeffrey

LeEco Le S3 is draining 10% per hour, even after being plugged in/on wifi for updates all through the night. Even with the launcher replaced, the customizations are still very intrusive.

Will likely be returning.

10% per hour idle? Sounds like a lemon. what is draining the battery according to the battery monitors?

Speaking of which that memo regarding LeEco and faraday future don't paint a pretty picture. I wonder if they will be able to stay in the US longer than a year or two.

Jeffrey

System, kernel, and phone signal are the big three.

weird...

my pro 3 should be here tomorrow. Impressions on the battery are great from folks on reddit, hope its decent because its the main reason why i snagged one (the streaming system and shitty ui clearly aren't!).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Huawei might have its own full screen concept phone; Mate 9/Mate 9 Pro to be unveiled November 14th?

mr9p.png

RuGalz

Speaking of which that memo regarding LeEco and faraday future don't paint a pretty picture. I wonder if they will be able to stay in the US longer than a year or two.

They probably will just let Vizio deal with hardware side of business in the US and tie it in to content side.

Jeffrey

why the hell is the chinese version so much cheaper than europe lol.

hope the US prices are decent whenever they launch it here (Is that actually confirmed? Seems like there is mention in previews but thats about it?)

Jeffrey

Chinese government subsidy to install backdoors on every phone? lol

i mean its no difference from the NSA installing backdoors for US phones/carriers etc, and China and Russia hacking the US government!

At the very least we should get that price cut as well! :p

Saiyan-Rox

Seems like the OnePlus 3T or whatever they call it is pretty much confirmed to be thing at this point. The official Qualcomm account tweeted about it which is probably a mistake on their part since it hasn't been confirmed by OnePlus yet.
https://twitter.com/Qualcomm/status/795677902117502976

Id hyped to see it! OP have really made a massive comeback this year.

first time being locked into a contract (Pixel XL) so seeing all these new phones coming out is going to be a pain

If it does come with Android 7.0 as well, I may have to grab it and use it over my Nexus 6P, especially if it can beat it in battery life and at least match it in terms of a camera. Please CDMA, please.

Not sure if it was always there, or if it was a recent update, but Samsung's browser seems to have added a magnifying window when selecting text, like iOS has.

That's honestly one of the only little things I like better about iOS, so it's pretty great to suddenly have, even if it is only in the browser. Makes it SO much easier to copy text.

Jeffrey

anandtech's pixel review is up

They seemed disappointed with its design and performance compare to other phones. They noticed hitches and other bugs in the navigation and app loads, which I've not read much about in other reviews, although most phone reviews are shit regardless ("This phone is smooth!").

What's surprising is that they are getting worse cellular reception than other phones? Wonder if they got a defect.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
anandtech's pixel review is up

They seemed disappointed with its design and performance compare to other phones. They noticed hitches and other bugs in the navigation and app loads, which I've not read much about in other reviews, although most phone reviews are shit regardless ("This phone is smooth!").

What's surprising is that they are getting worse cellular reception than other phones? Wonder if they got a defect.

Ha I just saw the review, and I was gonna post as well.

Benchmarks seem fucking horrific at least in terms of the CPU. GPU is pretty much by the numbers like other 820 devices.

Those web benchmarks are fucking bad though.

Edit: They do love the camera.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Some worrying benchmarks from the Anad review

84290.png

84312.png

Even in the web benchies it does well in Android wise Apple still wipes the floor. Last year's iPhone still beats this year's Pixel.

84295.png

84296.png

Google needs to do something considering its their phone, OS, and browser. This shit getting tiring. More so for the Pixel price tag.

ArchAngel

Damn, these benchmark numbers. Well sell this faker phone immediately. It almost got me to think it was the best phone I've ever tried, but now I know it's not!

Top Bottom