• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

as a new Honor 8 owner, this makes me happy.

84290.png

this_guy

anandtech's pixel review is up

They seemed disappointed with its design and performance compare to other phones. They noticed hitches and other bugs in the navigation and app loads, which I've not read much about in other reviews, although most phone reviews are shit regardless ("This phone is smooth!").

What's surprising is that they are getting worse cellular reception than other phones? Wonder if they got a defect.

Also this quote from Anandtech:
Android Nougat’s user interface feels fluid and responsive, but opening and working in apps can sometimes feel a bit slow. This behavior is partially captured by the Pixel XL’s score when running PCMark’s real-world scenarios: It scores lower than the Nexus 6P, a phone that’s not particularly quick either, and the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro, which uses Qualcomm’s midrange Snapdragon 650 SoC and costs less than $200. In other cases, such as web browsing, the Pixel XL is as fast or faster than any other Android flagship phone, but again the issue comes down to inconsistency. Other Snapdragon 820 flagships, such as the Galaxy S7 and OnePlus 3, and Apple’s iPhone 7 are noticeably faster during use.

Pixel seems like a good phone with a great camera and stock OS, but it's overpriced.

LeleSocho

Banned
Had almost no doubts, it's their first real attempt on making a phone so it's normal that this phone was a bit of a mess (always within the perfectly functioning flagship boundaries let's be clear).
I imagine who really thought this was an Android iPhone is pretty disappointed but i'm sure next year's Pixel will be so much better that will make look this Pixel like kids play.

Jeffrey

Had almost no doubts, it's their first real attempt on making a phone so it's normal that this phone was a bit of a mess (always within the perfectly functioning flagship boundaries let's be clear).
I imagine who really thought this was an Android iPhone is pretty disappointed but i'm sure next year's Pixel will be so much better that will make look this Pixel like kids play.

they better. Apple is gonna go all out with 10th anniversary. Samsung will basically suck your dick for free to get back confidence for the brand.

China is invading US soils already with ZTE, huawei, oneplus etc.

diaspora

I'm confident that it can be better if they're not bloating it with their "AI" garbage.

Jeffrey

Since Honor all but puttered out in the US, I wonder how Huawei plans to sell the Mate 9? Probably just online

edit: OnePlus is doing its hype thing again: https://twitter.com/oneplus/status/796049807609622528

hopefully at least price it closer to the chinese price than europe.

no one is gonna buy a huawei phone in the US for ~$700.

interesting to see whats up with oneplus 3T. hope the other additions outside of the 821 are substantial because no one actually needs a slightly overclocked 820 over the original, especially if you are running a light OS. Isn't OP3 already basically as smooth as it can be?

They seemed disappointed with its design and performance compare to other phones. They noticed hitches and other bugs in the navigation and app loads, which I've not read much about in other reviews, although most phone reviews are shit regardless ("This phone is smooth!").

What's surprising is that they are getting worse cellular reception than other phones? Wonder if they got a defect.
I find it hard to disagree despite me thinking it's the best android phone out. It definitely has tons of room for improvement which is why the pixel 2 should be interesting if this one really was a bit rushed.

Some worrying benchmarks from the Anad review

84290.png

84312.png

Even in the web benchies it does well in Android wise Apple still wipes the floor. Last year's iPhone still beats this year's Pixel.

84295.png

84296.png

Google needs to do something considering its their phone, OS, and browser. This shit getting tiring. More so for the Pixel price tag.

My Pixel and Pixel XL (until I sold it) absolutely slaughter my Nexus 5x in every way. It does not matter what benchmarks say and usability is all that matters. I care about battery life and performance and the Pixel is hands down the best I have ever used on a phone. The iPhone has slightly better UI performance but the UI is less satisfying and some simple tasks are just harder on iOS.

Whats also funny about these benchmarks is they always show outdated phone benchmarks long before current software updates. Ars and Anand need to start rebenchmarking old phones that they are comparing against because software updates drastically change how android phones perform.

See this for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a7AC2UXpYg

HawkeyeIC

dont have a pixel, how does it work? Does it not require reboot and 30mins of optimizing apps anymore?

You get the notification, it downloads and installs in the background (took maybe 20 minutes for todays update) while you continue using the phone as normal, and then when it's done you restart the phone and it boots up like normal. No waiting whatsoever.

dont have a pixel, how does it work? Does it not require reboot and 30mins of optimizing apps anymore?

The app optimization was fixed with Nougat by performing it on off hours.

Pixel phone are even better by installing everything on a separate partition when you are using your phone. All you have to do is reboot and you are done but the reboot can be whenever you normally want to do it.

Ty4on

Some worrying benchmarks from the Anad review

84290.png

Google needs to do something considering its their phone, OS, and browser. This shit getting tiring. More so for the Pixel price tag.

Anyone know why Nexus phones do so poorly in PCMark benches? I know PCMark is a little different, but from what I know it uses stock calls in Android and which I assume a Google phone would excel in. Do the rest cheat by forcing highest clock speeds?

more OEM bloatware slowing down the OS.

R.I.P. Pure Android.

Futureman

I'm Chromecasting a tab with CNN Live from my laptop to my TV. When I hit full screen on the laptop, the full screen on the TV zooms in 200% or so. Any way to fix this?

this has me worrying about getting a pixel :L

on second thought im a pretty light user, i mostly just use my phone to listen to music or podcasts, and use a few apps, mostly just instagram, snapchat and the browser...sometimes i use it to check my banking and for amazon, but that's pretty much it.

im sure the pixel will be fine for me

Jeffrey

this has me worrying about getting a pixel :L

on second thought im a pretty light user, i mostly just use my phone to listen to music or podcasts, and use a few apps, mostly just instagram, snapchat and the browser...sometimes i use it to check my banking and for amazon, but that's pretty much it.

im sure the pixel will be fine for me

Why not get a cheap phone then. $400 and less phones can net you those features.

Well depends on how hardcore you are about the camera though.

Jeffrey

Le Pro 3 arrived. good build. Snappy. camera isn't completely terrible in decent lighting.

Will see if battery is decent.

Sad that there is no option for swapping capacitive buttons. Not used to samsung.

The UI is wild though. will take a while to get used to that appswitcher/shortcut thingie.

oh yeah the stereo speakers are loud as fuck. Not as good as axon 7 but its still one of the better options out there for a 2016 phone.

i can get a pixel for $350 so price is irrelevant

Don't let anyone deter you. There is a lot of people in here trying to justify not buying the Pixel and they love to be negative about it. The pixel is the best performing and best software experience you can get on android. The phone has been getting glowing reviews left and right since launch.

Those benchmarks don't express how amazing the UI performance really is on the Pixel. Once the other phones get Nougat their performance and battery life scores will sink.

Don't let anyone deter you. There is a lot of people in here trying to justify not buying the Pixel and they love to be negative about it. The pixel is the best performing and best software experience you can get on android. The phone has been getting glowing reviews left and right since launch.

Those benchmarks don't express how amazing the UI performance really is on the Pixel. Once the other phones get Nougat their performance and battery life scores will sink.

yeah that's a good point, im sure when i get the phone ill be happy with it

Android 7.0 CDD says Google may soon require OEMs to stop screwing with USB-C charging standards

In its latest revision of the Android Compatibility Definition Document, Google has laid down some rather interesting rules not related to Android itself, but rather common device hardware. In the CDD, a new section has appeared that specifically related to the USB Type C standard and charging - a subject that has become increasingly thorny with the proliferation of numerous proprietary fast charging standards.

Type-C devices are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to not support proprietary charging methods that modify Vbus voltage beyond default levels, or alter sink/source roles as such may result in interoperability issues with the chargers or devices that support the standard USB Power Delivery methods. While this is called out as "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED", in future Android versions we might REQUIRE all type-C devices to support full interoperability with standard type-C chargers.

Google using their monopoly power to kill Qualcomm Quick Charge (tm)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
well...some positive news:

evleaks:
Samsung Galaxy S8 models are indeed skipping SM-G94* model numbers, will ship as SM-G950 & SM-G955. Know what else is in the works? SM-N950.

A report in Korean investment publication The Bell (via Droid-Life) claims that next year’s first-half Android flagship from Samsung, presumably marketed as the Galaxy S8, will follow a trend begun with 2015’s Galaxy S6 and come in two different variants. But unlike S6 — and this year’s Galaxy S7 — both S8 models will feature so-called edge displays, which curve on the sides to meet the phone enclosure in an effect that can make the handsets appear bezel-less. There won’t be a planar, or flat, screen model, according to the report.

Two key differences are said to exist between the variants, tipped to VentureBeat as the SM-G950 and SM-G955 (S7 devices shipped in the format SM-G93x, suggesting that Samsung is indeed skipping the SM-G94x nomenclature, reportedly due to Korean superstition surrounding the number 4).

The smaller model, G950, is said to offer a 5.7-inch screen, which would put it in the same league as a fall 2015 model, the Galaxy S6 edge+ (but slightly larger than 2016’s 5.5-inch Galaxy S7 edge — which was not followed by a plus variant — and quite a bit larger than the 5.1-inch Galaxy S6, S6 edge, and S7).

Besides being a half-inch bigger at 6.2 inches, the G955 was also rumored to adopt a different aesthetic appearance, thanks to a nearly edge-to-edge display. To achieve this appearance without pushing the limits of the device’s pocketability, it’s said to be the first Galaxy model to forgo physical and capacitive navigation buttons in favor of on-screen ones. The two phones will allegedly be sold as the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 plus.

As has become tradition over the past several years, Samsung is expected to introduce the new lineup at Mobile World Congress 2017 in Barcelona, Spain. And while it is making a concerted effort to curtail leaks of models that have taken on added importance in the wake of the costly Galaxy Note7 recall and cancellation, with the widespread popularity of the 8-year-old line, success seems highly unlikely.

Top Bottom