• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

It would be a new phone for my dad. He's currently on a Galaxy S3 and I'm curious, what would be the flat out best Android phone for under $300 that works on Verizon?

Jeffrey

welp. seems like finalized Daydream VR req are out.

SD 821 minimum.

So much for Axon 7 being 'daydream capable' device. Google really did fuck them over :/

hope they at least honor a refund for folks that chose axon 7 over op3 because of VR capability.

AndyD

aka andydumi

SD 821 minimum.

So much for Axon 7 being 'daydream capable' device. Google really did fuck them over :/

hope they at least honor a refund for folks that chose axon 7 over op3 because of VR capability.

They did. They even advertised it as such.

SD 821 minimum.

It's been known for many months now that the only way to get the sustained performance at a hardware level is with the 821.

Google doesn't want OEMs shitting on Android's Daydream just like they don't want them shitting on Android's quick charging.

Anyone that bought an Axon 7 for the sake of daydream made a stupid decision.

Jeffrey

It's been known for many months now that the only way to get the sustained performance at a hardware level is with the 821.

Google doesn't want OEMs shitting on Android's Daydream just like they don't want them shitting on Android's quick charging.

Anyone that bought an Axon 7 for the sake of daydream made a stupid decision.

idk. ZTE was listed as a company that will make daydream stuff during i/o. And ZTE has been working with google to get the thing certified as of last month according to their community dude.

And from qualcomm's site , it does seem like 820 should be enough for daydream.

big and bigger

lol
it's so odd. It's such a no brainer move to me to make the smaller one smaller with the same screen size and no bezel, and the bigger one bigger screen with no bezel, same dimensions.

That way you have a 5 nch phone that's even smaller than before, and a 6.2 inch phone for those who want a phablet, with the same dimensions as the previous 5.5.

No brainer shit.

Laekon

SD 821 minimum.

Is it the GPU of the 821 that matters? The Pixel with the 821 doesn't run any faster then an 820 phone.

I hope the S8 news isn't true. I don't like the edge design and would just like an S7 with a full metal body and USB C.

it's so odd. It's such a no brainer move to me to make the smaller one smaller with the same screen size and no bezel, and the bigger one bigger screen with no bezel, same dimensions.

That way you have a 5 nch phone that's even smaller than before, and a 6.2 inch phone for those who want a phablet, with the same dimensions as the previous 5.5.

No brainer shit.

well, they can't even figure up why their last phone was burning up. something something brains.

Is it the GPU of the 821 that matters? The Pixel with the 821 doesn't run any faster then an 820 phone.

I hope the S8 news isn't true. I don't like the edge design and would just like an S7 with a full metal body and USB C.

Its most likey nothing to do with speed. I believe it's software programmed into the 821 chip to keep good performance for extended periods of time without overheating and/or excessive throttling. Specifically in VR.

fuck metal bodies.

Qi fast wireless charging is the future present.

Milchjon

Soooo, I'm about to switch to Android. Only question is hardware.

What I want is to maximize the combination of
-camera quality (especially in low light!)
-battery life
-looks
-convenience (I don't wanna fuzz around, don't wanna wait forever for updates, don't wanna get stuck with extra 3rd party crap...)

Once these things are good, price becomes an issue, but it's somewhat secondary.

Don't think I want Sony or HTC. No XLs. China stuff if there are good experiences with them.

Basically, I think I wanna get as close to an iPhone experience as possible without going Apple.

I've been thinking that only the Pixel and S7 really fit the bill, but I'm no expert, so I'm asking you guys.

Edit: No OIS on the Pixel? Well that's a bummer.

-battery life
-looks
-convenience (I don't wanna fuzz around, don't wanna wait forever for updates, don't wanna get stuck with extra 3rd party crap...)

Once these things are good, price becomes an issue, but it's somewhat secondary.

Don't think I want Sony or HTC. No XLs. China stuff if there are good experiences with them.

Basically, I think I wanna get as close to an iPhone experience as possible without going Apple.

I've been thinking that only the Pixel and S7 really fit the bill, but I'm no expert, so I'm asking you guys.

S7edge or pixel

fuck metal bodies.

Qi fast wireless charging is the future present.

I've been saying that forever and everyone's like "Bu bu bu it's not REALLY WIRELESS because charging plates!" and "quick charging is faster!"

Sadly, I can see how Samsung is going to toss it out in favor of a full metal body, because they're the only manufacturer left that implements it. RIP Nokia.

Don't really want to pay an extra 100 bucks or so for that edge...

It's a tough choice. I think the Edge gimmick is stupid and for me, it actually gets in the way of using the phone. But the S7 Edge is also slightly bigger an has a bigger battery (3,600 mAh instead of 3,000). That should make a big difference in battery life. My S7 usually lasts me through an entire day with 4-6 hours of screen time, but I barely use the phone for more than Twitter, GAF, Telegram and podcasts.

snacknuts

we all knew her

-battery life
-looks

Pixel all day.

Hmm, with all other contract details being equal, I'm looking at 50 (Pixel) vs 90 (S7) vs 170 (S7 edge) Euros up front.

The Pixel is a fine phone, but unremarkable, much like the S7. You get the Google Android and pure Material Design look and feel, which is a plus. You're not getting that on Samsung, but you can emulate it, replace the icons, the launcher, animations and all that. Performance stays great. Samsung even got a theme store.

Another plus for the Pixel is the OS update frequency. With Samsung you're obviously getting the security updates, but OS updates take their fucking time. I'm still on Android 6.0.1, which would usually annoy me to no end, but 7.0 brings so little to the table, that I'm not getting anxious about it. The S7 already does split-screen, too.

What speaks for the S7 are the tiny QOL features you know from Nokia, like always-on display and wireless charging. I love it and wouldn't want a phone without it, but YMMV. Seriously, wireless charging is the shit. Not sure about the Pixel, but the S7 stole the pop-out video feature from iOS and it's really neat. Browsing GAF, someone posted a YT video, pop-out and continue reading the thread. It's great and should be an OS feature. I'm sure Google will get around to implement it in 2018 or something.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either phone.

-battery life
-looks

"don't want to wait forever for updates" is code for "i want a Pixel"

gotta deal with whatever shortcomings that has...

S7 Edge is great, but you will have to wait a few months for updates with that.

the good thing about Samsung (and LG) is while they are a few months behind like everyone not named Google, they actually do the monthly security updates too, unlike many other OEMs.

the Pixel also looks ugly as hell.

"don't want to wait forever for updates" is code for "i want a Pixel"

gotta deal with whatever shortcomings that has...

S7 Edge is great, but you will have to wait a few months for updates with that.

the good thing about Samsung (and LG) is while they are a few months behind like everyone not named Google, they actually do the monthly security updates too, unlike many other OEMs.

the Pixel also looks ugly as hell.

Basically, yeah. The thing is, I reluctantly bought the S7, because I wanted wireless charging and got a great deal. But the lack of timely OS updates really isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would. I was pretty hyped about 7.0, when the first DP got released, but the RTM wasn't as impactful as I thought it would be. Even the OS-wide VR support turned out to be nothing (yet). So with that, I'm back on my pre-7.0 sentiment and believe that timely OS updates shouldn't be a big selling point. It's not like you necessarily get OS updates after 2 years on either phone anyway. Security updates are a different matter and Samsung delivers on that front.

Yeah pixel is a no brainer if it's cheaper than your other options which seems strange to me

Google struck a deal with Deutsche Telekom (biggest telco in Germany) and they're pushing the Pixel right now.

I've been saying that forever and everyone's like "Bu bu bu it's not REALLY WIRELESS because charging plates!" and "quick charging is faster!"

Sadly, I can see how Samsung is going to toss it out in favor of a full metal body, because they're the only manufacturer left that implements it. RIP Nokia.

i used to be like that until i got my Note 7.

sometime in the summer a few months prior to that, i picked up a Samsung Wireless Charging Stand on clearance at Target for like $18 because hey why not...

now, it's totally won me over. and that's even vs Type C where i don't even have to look at the plug or feel the little ridges that Samsung has on the smaller (up?) end.

It looks like Europe is going to get the LG V20 S, a 5.2" waterproof version of the V20.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-V...-key-features-adding-water-protection_id87568

A French site says they got invitations to a 30 November launch event:

http://www.phonandroid.com/lg-v20s-version-etanche-52-pouces-bientot-france.html

I played with the Japanese version of this, the V34, during my trip to Tokyo last week and this is the phone I've been waiting for to replace my G3. Guaranteed day 1 purchase.

Jeffrey

daydream VR reviews are out.

Also it seems pretty easy to run daydream vr on other phones? even the 6p. It does get choppy if it heats up.

Mindwipe

Also it seems pretty easy to run daydream vr on other phones? even the 6p. It does get choppy if it heats up.

Yeah, as long as you're running Nougat you're pretty good. Which means no testing on my Xperia unfortunately but so is life.

Google certainly haven't put any effort into keeping people out if they're determined. Which is smart.

Now, Daydream is a separate ecosystem and experience, and Cardboard apps don't work in the Daydream app typically (I assume this will change as Cardboard apps add Daydream support). In fact, Daydream View isn't even a functional Cardboard viewer right now because it has no external button and the remote doesn't work with the Cardboard app (again, this may change, I just don't know).

Oh, come on. This is so Microsoft Google.

Hey coders!

Remember this old thing we had? We have this new thing, that's like the old thing, but better! Except it doesn't support anything you've done for the old thing. But don't worry! All you have to do is add a couple of lines and some other stuff to make your old thing work on our new thing!

Happy coding!

Hybris

Hey guys,

I was looking into getting a new phone around black friday. I'm using an old Galaxy S3, and I'm running into compatibility issues when downloading newer things from the store, and the battery life isn't what it used to be.

Project Fi interests me a great deal because I am by no means a heavy user on my phone, so the "pay for what you use" data plan seems good for me. I only use about 50-100 MB on any given month. I was going to go with a Nexus 5x, any opinions on it for a light user like myself or any Black Friday deals I should check out? Thanks.

TTOOLL

Edit: wrong post

Another try...

nexus2cee_DSC05493_thumb.jpg

Welp

Edit: wrong post

Another try...

nexus2cee_DSC05493_thumb.jpg

Welp

As to the headset itself, I have a few thoughts; first, it is very comfortable and the headband is easy to adjust (when wearing it). Second, it lets in a surprising amount of outside light, and doesn't really even come close to sealing against my face. Third: if you put a Google Pixel XL (like Google provided) in the viewer, the elastic strap to hold the viewer door in place goes directly on the volume rocker. The strap can accidentally engage the volume key (you cannot flip the phone and insert it buttons toward the ground), which is a real nuisance, though the number of times it happened were few compared to the total number of times I used the headset. Still, this seems like less than well thought-out design on Google's part.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...w-step-right-direction-mobile-vr-not-big-one/

One size fits all design, I guess.

I'm still not sure if I should get the new GearVR or the DayDream headset.

Hey guys,

I was looking into getting a new phone around black friday. I'm using an old Galaxy S3, and I'm running into compatibility issues when downloading newer things from the store, and the battery life isn't what it used to be.

Project Fi interests me a great deal because I am by no means a heavy user on my phone, so the "pay for what you use" data plan seems good for me. I only use about 50-100 MB on any given month. I was going to go with a Nexus 5x, any opinions on it for a light user like myself or any Black Friday deals I should check out? Thanks.

Last year's Moto X is a could phone. You can get one round $250ish? I would go with that if you want the extra gig or RAM, speakers, SD card, and larger screen. The 5X would be more for software support and portability.

Jeffrey

Sooo overkill

That's not to say more RAM isn't better, but there is a point where it's just overkill. Not to mention efficient use of RAM matters, and OnePlus botched that with the regular 3.

yep at some point the battery drain will not be worth it.

I mean most people just use facebook, browser, some music app etc. People been fine with 2gb ram.

Top Bottom