• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

Just ordered a Daydream view from the Google play store. Never had a go with VR at alland this wasn't that expensive to dive into.

Also put a skin on my old OP3 I gave to my GF after getting the pixel and damn I forgot how thin that thing is compared to the Pixel.

Didn't it take like 4 updates for them to even optimize it for 2GB?

That was mostly because of the encryption and Qualcomm 808 but the ram does blow on the 5x.

If anyone says the ram is fine on the 5x it's because they are used to apps and browser tabs reloading constantly. Night and day difference in reloads between my 5x and Pixel.

I wouldn't do 2GB again.

Jeffrey

Just ordered a Daydream view from the Google play store. Never had a go with VR at alland this wasn't that expensive to dive into.

Also put a skin on my old OP3 I gave to my GF after getting the pixel and damn I forgot how thin that thing is compared to the Pixel.

oh you have both?

how do they actually compare 'smoothness' wise? I'm having a hard time finding any decent comparisons outside of some speed tests which don't really represent anything.

i've heard both where smooth and snappy, but is the pixel really that much better outside of the camera?

Saiyan-Rox

oh you have both?

how do they actually compare 'smoothness' wise? I'm having a hard time finding any decent comparisons outside of some speed tests which don't really represent anything.

i've heard both where smooth and snappy, but is the pixel really that much better outside of the camera?

Yep I've both here but the OP3 is my GF phone now. In smoothness theyre both the same tbh I've noticed the pixel can close some apps in the background but not extensively. The camera and the software in the pixel is where it shines but the OP3 is what £400 cheaper off contract?

People on here told me it wasn't worth it and of course I didn't listen but I'm happy with the pixel and in the end depends if you want fast software and better camera or to save a bunch of money.

Saying that though there's a new op3 being announced soon anyway.

Jeffrey

s7edge nougat beta looks smooth. Seems like a good update for those owners. At least for exynos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JVZjPw7pg

Yep I've both here but the OP3 is my GF phone now. In smoothness theyre both the same tbh I've noticed the pixel can close some apps in the background but not extensively. The camera and the software in the pixel is where it shines but the OP3 is what £400 cheaper off contract?

People on here told me it wasn't worth it and of course I didn't listen but I'm happy with the pixel and in the end depends if you want fast software and better camera or to save a bunch of money.

Saying that though there's a new op3 being announced soon anyway.

what aspect on the software side is better than oxygenOS or the plethora of custom roms for op3, besides nougat (should be coming to oxygen soon, CM14.1 is already available for testing) and assistant?

GuessWho

Next week I'm getting the v20 but I'm nervous about the size. It's really in summer that I keep my phone in my pants pockets and I'm worried about the size. Anyone have regrets after getting a phablet?

Jeffrey

Next week I'm getting the v20 but I'm nervous about the size. It's really in summer that I keep my phone in my pants pockets and I'm worried about the size. Anyone have regrets after getting a phablet?

depends on your pants? I've never been a fan of tight stuff, haven't had any issue with 5.5" phones in khakis and gym shorts etc, even with the hefty cases.

yyzjohn

Banned
Well Doze seems to be working real well on my Pixel Xl. Didn't want to leave the phone charging all night while I slept so I took it off the charger at 98℅ and went to bed. Woke up 8.5 hours later and the phone was at 96℅.

$600 for a Snapdragon 810 in late 2016?

Black Friday is almost here. I haven't upgraded my phone yet this year so I'm hoping for a sale on the Pixel. It's either going to be that or save about $300 and get the Honor 8 because it's good enough (and I prefer somthing smaller than 5.5")

Black Friday deal was already leaked. $400 off with Verizon activation.

this_guy

Black Friday deal was already leaked. $400 off with Verizon activation.

Thanks I saw that, but don't feel like activating and canceling a line with Verizon. By the time you pay activation fee and first month's bill it's not worth the hassle. I'm hoping Google will do a promo for Project Fi.

Noema

Well Doze seems to be working real well on my Pixel Xl. Didn't want to leave the phone charging all night while I slept so I took it off the charger at 98℅ and went to bed. Woke up 8.5 hours later and the phone was at 96℅.

It always works well when the phones are new.

what phone you rolling with now?

6bFKTpc.jpg

Noema

Depends on the size of your hands I guess, but I got used to my Nexus 6 pretty quickly. It's still a wee bit awkward trying to use it one handed but I manage, but also the nexus 6 is particularly wide.

You'll be fine.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
2GB is not fine. 3 is minimum at this point.

3-4 gigs works better than 2 especially on QHD phones as they need more RAM to push the extra pixels. Plus even on 1080p it gives you more head room especially in high volume multitasking.

Idk wtf you'd need 8 gigs for on a phone though.

Had something weird happen with my phone. I plugged it in to charge, and when I started using it again it asked for my pin along with my fingerprint. OK, sometimes it does this. But then it had weird apps open in the background like Cortana (never use that), and in Chrome it was trying to send a private message to another gaffer from a thread I've never been in. My icons were back to default system instead of the Flight icons I normally use, and my dock icons are different (basically, the stock icons).

Da fuq?

Rengoku

So turns out the Camera NX mod that was originally taken from the Pixel phones has been updated to include ZSL (Zero Shutter Lag) for both Nexus 5x and Nexus 6p.

Aside from having some new features from the Pixel camera app, the fact that taking HDR photos on my Nexus 6p has no shutter lag at all is game changing. No more having to wait 1-2 seconds for that little circle to fill up!

Jeffrey

so ZTE employee is saying Daydream VR will work with 820?

I mean now that we know its easy enough to sideload, but good to get a confirmation.

Daydream will work on 820 but perhaps the confusion is that it needs software patches from Qualcomm to support. I think this is why there is confusion about the 821 chip. We (ZTE) recently received the software update on 820 from Qualcomm and continue to make progress with Daydream development. We are working closely with both Google and Qualcomm, so please be assured that development continues and that it is on existing Axon 7 devices with the 820 chip. There are still more dependencies that we are waiting on, and then when development is finished, it still has to go back to Google for final approval. We can't provide an exact timeframe until we are further along in the process but we can tell you that it is a very high priority within ZTE and we're working as fast as we can to get it out to all of you. Please expect this timeframe to be measured in weeks, not days. There's still a lot of work left to be done.

https://community.zteusa.com/message/67547#67547

On a side note, ZTE has a poll up that they will present to their dev teams about investigating into a more stock android rom.

This could be important. Axon 7 is already top tier hardware wise (besides camera and cellular radio?), especially for $400, but it's funky customizations are whats holding it back.

stockish android + a more flexible warranty and better dev support. Could steal oneplus's lunch quite easily.

oh wow, that was quick

back on the Note 7

they sent me the wrong SIM and the Note 5 wouldn't fully activate

even when i actually try to give it up, fate refuses

MAYBE NEXT WEEK FAM

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note, ZTE has a poll up that they will present to their dev teams about investigating into a more stock android rom.

This could be important. Axon 7 is already top tier hardware wise (besides camera and cellular radio?), especially for $400, but it's funky customizations are whats holding it back.

stockish android + a more flexible warranty and better dev support. Could steal oneplus's lunch quite easily.

Axon has been really great with the community over this phone, and they have been pushing out updates constantly.

If they got a more stockish ROM I'd see no reason for anyone to ever deal with OnePlus ever again.

Quixzlizx

Axon has been really great with the community over this phone, and they have been pushing out updates constantly.

If they got a more stockish ROM I'd see no reason for anyone to ever deal with OnePlus ever again.

What's still wrong with their ROM after fixing notifications?

Since Google doesn't seem interested in launching their own phone in the rest of Europe I'm looking at getting something else.

Are there any good deals for the Nexus 5X out there? Somewhere that would ship to Europe.

Moreche

I'm really enjoying my iPhone 7Plus 256 but it cost nearly £1000 but the rumours of the upcoming Oneplus 3T has me really wary of keeping it.
I really want to see what the Oneplus 3T is capable of.

Top Bottom