• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

they really are spending a lot of time on this stream about the slightly bigger battery and dash charging. ... so now it has similar battery life to all other phones lol. OP3 battery was below average.

RuGalz

SO I bought a bundle of USBc cables a while back and unfortunately all of them aren't quick charge compatible. I'm looking to buy another pack of them, but allow my phone to charge rapidly when I plug them into my laptop. Any suggestions?

I've seen the reviews on individual ones, but looking more for a pack.

There are a lot of crappy cables I wouldn't go by regular reviews. Bad cables could damage your phone or things you plug it into. Here's a chart of the ones that have been tested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/edit?usp=sharing

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But hey! I saved 200 dollars on the phone. Who would buy a Pixel when they both have the same spec sheets!

I don't think $200 is anything to sneeze at for many people. But even beyond that, the price difference between an Axon 7 and comparable Pixel XL is almost $500.

Jeffrey

It's not like Google isn't selling your info to ads, especially with pixel, to get google assistant working right, it pretty much needs access to more of your phone.

reKon

Banned
Anyone has experience with missing mail via USPS? I had to send a missing mail request for the Galaxy S7 Edge I ordered over 8 business days ago...

SO I bought a bundle of USBc cables a while back and unfortunately all of them aren't quick charge compatible. I'm looking to buy another pack of them, but allow my phone to charge rapidly when I plug them into my laptop. Any suggestions?

I've seen the reviews on individual ones, but looking more for a pack.
Qualcomm quick charge isn't part o the usb-c spec
The old spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/htmlview

Played with the updated Google Play Music.

It's a step forward in terms of recommendations, though I wish it surfaced public playlists, though there it's better than Apple at least. Search seems to be turning up better results for me.

I still have deeper issues though with how limited the genres surfaced in various parts of the interface goes. That and big holes in the catalogue so I still have keep buying CDs and uploading.

And not unlike Apple Musics for you I'm not that sure how to influence the reccomendations. Does 'thumbs up' ing tracks do anything? Does frequent playback of songs/artists influence that?
It's switched to machine learning so yes thumbs up works more then it use to with the old algorithm

Jeffrey

i love how the reasoning behind the name of oneplus 3T is because everyone uses S, and T is the next letter (from XDA interview).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
seems like they are killing it.

anandtech has the 128gb at $480.

So then you're pushing current demand + new demand cause a new device onto the 3T which makes me think back ordered all over again.

By time you can just buy it whenever you want it'll be next year.

What's the most effective and cheapest way to fix a small scratch on a Gorilla Glass screen? I don't want to pay to get it completely replaced, but on the other hand the scratch is on the center of the screen and it's super annoying.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have a Google Wifi three-pack sitting in my cart at their store and I'm trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. I currently have an Airport Extreme and it sucks, at least insofar as it does not provide a good signal to the far side of my house. $300 is a bit salty for a router solution, though. Hmm...

EDIT: Ordered. Should be here in 3-4 weeks.

Did anybody read this article from 9to5google about Andromeda? It's pretty new. It's also long. I shall post only snippets:

Now, we’re hearing some more information from this same tipster, and the more we hear the more inclined we are to believe them. Note that we haven’t independently verified any of these details with secondary sources, so we don’t have a super high amount of confidence in this information, but this tipster has been proven correct on bits of information they have shared before.

According to this tipster, two major OEMs yet to be mentioned that are working on Andromeda devices now have access to Andromeda dev kits, with first devices scheduled for Q3 or Q4 (presumably next year, which would line up with the supposed timeline of a “Pixel” laptop from Google). This person also says that “Android 8.0” is already being merged into Andromeda. In the meantime, it seems Google is sticking with its typical schedule, however. “All 7.X software updates will be independent of Andromeda until official announcement,” they say.

This same tipster has also gone into great detail on a new feature that’s supposedly going to be part of Andromeda: notification syncing across devices. This will come pre-packaged with Andromeda, this tipster says, and will be tied to the Google account that you use to sign into your device. It will also supposedly be powered by the same underlying machine learning software that Google mentioned in its release of the latest version of Google Play Music, intelligently displaying notifications only on the device that the user is currently using.

Our tipster also suggests that some apps’ content — like RCS messages — will automatically sync across devices a la iMessage. This also plays well into what we were hearing before — that Allo is going to make a lot more sense under Andromeda.

This same tipster told us about the “Pixel 3” laptop that David scooped back in September before that piece was published, and if what David said is true, Google seems to lining up a big hardware + software launch for fall 2017 — around the right time for what would be the launch of “Android 8.0”. As you should be able to tell, Andromeda sounds a lot like a reworked version of Android taking advantage of the cloud and adding support for more varied hardware.

Recently, our tipster told us: “Huawei tablet is undergoing final rounds of field testing. Battery life is good. Really good.” One thing seems certain: There’s a Huawei tablet around the corner, and Huawei is maintaining a good relationship with Google despite not coming to terms on the Pixel. What’s not certain: Basically everything else.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The question is can Android phones become Andromeda phones? If yes then exciting times ahead. If no and they just stay on their own 7.X branch then it's basically stupid to buy an Android phone before the Pixel 2.0 and the 2018 Andromeda phones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The question is can Android phones become Andromeda phones? If yes then exciting times ahead. If no and they just stay on their own 7.X branch then it's basically stupid to buy an Android phone before the Pixel 2.0 and the 2018 Andromeda phones.
I'm cool with obsoleting everything if it means we get huge progress.

I want that tablet soon. I'd buy it tomorrow.

Anyone using RSBrowser having issues with pictures not showing up or the webpage not rendering correctly lately?
Yes. It seems like some https issue.

HawkeyeIC

Google is stupid, but they aren't that stupid...

Are they?

I'm cool with obsoleting everything if it means we get huge progress.

I want that tablet soon. I'd buy it tomorrow.
amen to that

Worthy price to pay. I wany my smartphone decision next year to be as hard as possible between pixel 2 and iphone. I want all the andromedas and the bezeless designs which is what 2017 seems to be all about. Smaller would be nice on the regular model but I'm probably fantasizing there.

HawkeyeIC

Come on. There is no way they obsolete the 2016 pixels. It would completely tarnish a new brand. If they were going to obsolete route, they would have done everything the same but left the Nexus branding.

Jeffrey

bought a barely used OP3 for $360.

now to sell this axon 7. Still one of the better phones of the year, but the whole spyware stuff...

I'll live without it.

LeleSocho

Banned
bought a barely used OP3 for $360.

now to sell this axon 7. Still one of the better phones of the year, but the whole spyware stuff...

I'll live without it.

So wait, you sold a smartphone because it had chinese spyware in it... and buy another chinese phone?

...what?

Hasney

It doesn't matter. The geniuses in here and on /r/android will continue to praise these cheap ass phones even though they are key logging to the Chinese government and will never receive software updates or support.

But hey! I saved 200 dollars on the phone. Who would buy a Pixel when they both have the same spec sheets!

It makes you wonder what sacrifices Apple made on their Chinese customers behalf that Google refused to do.

I mean, do they go to China before the NSA or to Google? I sure hope they still make it there too!

Eh, I'll forget about it by spending $500 I saved on going out.

Moreche

I'm looking at cheap on contract S7 Edge as I'm returning my iPhone 7Plus today.
Is the S7 Edge still a great phone or should I go elsewhere?
Thanks.

tzare

I'm looking at cheap on contract S7 Edge as I'm returning my iPhone 7Plus today.
Is the S7 Edge still a great phone or should I go elsewhere?
Thanks.

recently bought an s7 edge (exynos) so far fantastic phone, smooth, great performance, awesome camera, gorgeous design and form factor( seems really small despite 5.5 screen) and 200 bucks cheaper than a pixel phone.
And all screen is yours , since still uses capacitive buttons.
I find hard to consider a pixel over it just because 'pure android' , being way more expensive, and having less hw features. Maybe next year pixels won't have compromises. Maybe Google should've waited for early next year and release it with SD830 and with extra features.

Bw, i wonder if google algorithms for HDR+ will be able to be used on other OEM phones when they get Nougat

Maybe Google should've waited for early next year and release it with SD830 and with extra features.

Lol. These posts are still happening?

Yeah, Google should have delayed an entire successful phone launch 1 year because it's missing a couple hardware features that YOU require.

tzare

Lol. These posts are still happening?

Yeah, Google should have delayed an entire successful phone launch 1 year because it's missing a couple hardware features that YOU require.

i do not require it.But it has competition that has it. So those phones have advantages. Success is relative, compared to what, nexus? galaxy series, iphone?
And waiting for early next year (along S8, HTC11, LG G6 etc...) is not big deal They can do whatever they wish, and some die hard 'pure android' enthusiasts will accept anything just because stock android. Lens flare, no waterproofing...

Yes it is a solid phone, but just that. Most reviews consider it uninspired, dull, expensive and it also has a few issues of its own. It is like a oneplus3 with a better camera.
As much as i loved my nexus 5, s7 edge just ticks all the boxes for me (except for spen) , and it is even cheaper.

Top Bottom