• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

tzare

Nougat beta from s7/edge seems nice. I wonder if that new option that allows to change screen resolution has a positive and noticeable impact on battery life and SOT. It was implemented in note 7 afaik too.

Brandwin

I have a Nexus 6P that hasn't giving me any issues (battery life isn't as good as it was) that is a year old. But right now, I have a 32gb Pixel XL in my Best Buy cart ready for pick up. I don't need it, but I love having the newest tech and I am so close to pulling the trigger. I figured I could sell my 6P for about $300 on Swappa and just put towards it. Apparently buying from Best Buy, they still work on AT&T like if I bought from Google. I am so torn, which maybe means I shouldn't do it? I dunno too much!

I have a Nexus 6P that hasn't giving me any issues (battery life isn't as good as it was) that is a year old. But right now, I have a 32gb Pixel XL in my Best Buy cart ready for pick up. I don't need it, but I love having the newest tech and I am so close to pulling the trigger. I figured I could sell my 6P for about $300 on Swappa and just put towards it. Apparently buying from Best Buy, they still work on AT&T like if I bought from Google. I am so torn, which maybe means I shouldn't do it? I dunno too much!

The ones from best buy don't have a locked bootloader?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Samsung-Galaxy-Round.jpg

The galaxy taco

My S7 funnily finally arrived yesterday. I'm in love with this device. Any tips from users here? Thanks!!

Go to the settings and application manager and disable all the garbage and bloat you don't need. Stuff like S Healt, S Voice, all the Google and Microsoft garbage, if you don't use their services.

Always on Display isn't enabled by default. You can find it under Display.

Get a cheap wireless charging pad on ebay and see if you like it.

TTOOLL

Go to the settings and application manager and disable all the garbage and bloat you don't need. Stuff like S Healt, S Voice, all the Google and Microsoft garbage, if you don't use their services.

Always on Display isn't enabled by default. You can find it under Display.

Get a cheap wireless charging pad on ebay and see if you like it.

Already did these, I don't think it came with a lot of bloat, only Microsoft stuff and Facebook (?!) which I don't use. I'm trying to find a good way to check my calendar without using s-planner widget. I downloaded any.do and I quite like it, but their widget will show only taks, I have to open the app to check my calendar. I don't like using google now because the battery hit. Any suggestions?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Played around with daydream tonight. Phone overheated in 30 minutes and I had to close the app (got a warning). Come on Google...
Build it while people pay to beta test it. Typical.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Since my wife loves her Z Play (9-12 hours screen time) I picked up a Z for me. The Best buy deal was too good to pass up.

Now, not to excited to root right away, any add block apps that work without root?

Jeffrey

tons of Mi Mix's on ebay for relatively reasonable prices, if you're into it

isn't supported in any US LTE so no real reason to get it.

Also will probably shatter from UPS dropping it at your door step.

edit: I see $900ish? The phone is ~$500, doesn't seem too reasonable.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Well, it supports band 4 on ATT, so at least you're getting their most powerful signal

And yeah, prices are high, tbh. I saw one for 800, that's better than 1000-ish, considering their in limited supply

Both are way too iOS, but yeah, Samsung shitting the bed with their skin again is annoying. Thankfully they support themes.

I just like the font density and compactness of the notification panel on EMUI 5.

The strange thing is Samsung's S7 Marshmallow color scheme and look was pretty nice. Then for whatever reason they made everything gigantic with ugly ass rectangles everywhere in Nougat:

I just like the font density and compactness of the notification panel on EMUI 5.

The strange thing is Samsung's S7 Marshmallow color scheme and look was pretty nice. Then for whatever reason they made everything gigantic with ugly ass rectangles everywhere in Nougat:

other than the colors and icons, is that much different from stock nougat?

Jeffrey

got my op3.

man i keep forgetting how everything is fucking gigantic on android by default out of the box.

Like default ios has everything much smaller.

reKon

Banned
My S7 finally arrived yesterday. I'm in love with this device. Any tips from users here? Thanks!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.packagedisabler&hl=en

it's only a $1.49. You can sign up for Google rewards and take surveys to earn Google Play credit if this really matters to you though.

I would use this app and carefully go thrrough and disable the bloat. google any processes that you don't know and you'll find info on whether you should disable it or not. Most of this was obvious. Probably none of the Google apps you would want to disable.

tfur

I got the flashing Google menu on the 6p.

Is there a way around this if I have a locked boot loader? All flashing gives me complaints about locked oem?

fastboot flashing unlock = remote: oem unlock is not allowed

It sucks since this is a Google Fi phone, I do not have a lot of options to while waiting for a replacement.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wonder when Google will retcon daydream to require a SD 835.

Until we get some crazy new tech I don't see the snap 8XX whatever ever getting around the heat problem for VR.

VR basicly cranks your shit to the max. That's fine for shorter experience type stuff. Something 5-10 mins. Long form stuff always gonna have this issue.

Jeffrey

Until we get some crazy new tech I don't see the snap 8XX whatever ever getting around the heat problem for VR.

VR basicly cranks your shit to the max. That's fine for shorter experience type stuff. Something 5-10 mins. Long form stuff always gonna have this issue.

hmmm i feel like ive heard my coworker saying they watched a whole movie in gear VR. Does that headset have any kind of cooling system?

hmmm i feel like ive heard my coworker saying they watched a whole movie in gear VR. Does that headset have any kind of cooling system?

A VR movie does not tax the GPU. A VR app/game, however, requires the GPU to render the same scene twice, one for each eye. That's far more intensive and much more prone to overheating.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

A VR movie does not tax the GPU. A VR app/game, however, requires the GPU to render the same scene twice, one for each eye. That's far more intensive and much more prone to overheating.

This. Of the current content movie watching is probably the least taxing on the hardware.

Top Bottom