• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lol. These posts are still happening?

Yeah, Google should have delayed an entire successful phone launch 1 year because it's missing a couple hardware features that YOU require.

I've asked this before: how do we know it's actually successful? Do we have sales numbers?

If we rely on the fact that some models are sold out, but we don't actually know how many they manufactured....that doesn't seem like the best method.

I'm not saying they're not successful, just pushing back on your assertion because I haven't seen any numbers, but maybe you have.

reKon

Banned
This matte black skin made my S7 a lot more slippery vs the glass back :|

I swear I have a better grip naked than I had withe titanium metal brand skin. Looks like it back to slim cases for me. All I cared about was grip. How couldn't they get that fucking right and use the proper material?

I've asked this before: how do we know it's actually successful? Do we have sales numbers?

If we rely on the fact that some models are sold out, but we don't actually know how many they manufactured....that doesn't seem like the best method.

I'm not saying they're not successful, just pushing back on your assertion because I haven't seen any numbers, but maybe you have.

Since when was a successful launch only about sales numbers? Google made a HUGE splash with the media.

The Pixel is now a known contender which is something that previously could only be said about Samsung and Apple. There is now three and that's a huge deal.

When it comes to sales numbers no there are none. You can guess whatever you want but having all models backed up or sold out on the Google store still is a big deal. Even Verizon is backed up until December on some models. I actually expect this launch to be a loss for Google. It was well worth it to them because Pixel is now a very known brand and it was nothing before.

reKon

Banned
Since when was a successful launch only about sales numbers? Google made a HUGE splash with the media.

The Pixel is now a known contender which is something that previously could only be said about Samsung and Apple. There is now three and that's a huge deal.

When it comes to sales numbers no there are none. You can guess whatever you want but having all models backed up or sold out on the Google store still is a big deal. Even Verizon is backed up until December on some models. I actually expect this launch to be a loss for Google. It was well worth it to them because Pixel is now a very known brand and it was nothing before.

I don't watch a lot of cable TV, but I've never seen Google push a product this hard. It's up their with Samsung and Apple in terms of how often I've seen these ads. One of my friends who who uses iPhone's and knows that I'm an Android guy asked if I'm getting the Pixel.

There's not even any confusion in the name. Just 1 pixel. This will benefit Google in the future in trying to become the defacto android experience.

Jeffrey

Seems like people are having a hard time getting a refund after returning their note 7 if they bought unlocked or used through ebay or swappa.

Good vibes all around.

mackattk

Seems like people are having a hard time getting a refund after returning their note 7 if they bought unlocked or used through ebay or swappa.

Good vibes all around.

Yeah... Samsung telling people that they should expect refunds in 60 days is a bit ridiculous. Some are even having trouble getting the fire rated shipping box to ship them back in the first place.

Some people are having issues with some Verizon stores as well, namely non-corporate authorized reseller stores. A huge mess all around.

Being out almost $1000 for weeks to months is too much.

Yeah... Samsung telling people that they should expect refunds in 60 days is a bit ridiculous. Some are even having trouble getting the fire rated shipping box to ship them back in the first place.

Some people are having issues with some Verizon stores as well, namely non-corporate authorized reseller stores. A huge mess all around.

Being out almost $1000 for weeks to months is too much.

Samsung users are most likely migrating to Apple in droves. Google needs to be on all carriers soon.

Jeffrey

this is why you buy stuff with credit cards, use it like a debit card (pay off balance monthly), but get them reward points, and purchase protections.

LeleSocho

Banned
I mean what else can you do? If you are on android, just assume google and the NSA and russia and china are all spying on you.

iOS isn't impervious too.

Dunno... stop buying chinese phones if you are worried about their backdoors?
You either don't care about those and buy chinese phones or you care about it and don't buy these kind of phones at all.
The line of reasoning that led you to selling a chinese phone because of backdoors and buy another one right after it is nonsensical to say the least.

Jeffrey

Dunno... stop buying chinese phones if you are worried about their backdoors?
You either don't care about those and buy chinese phones or you care about it and don't buy these kind of phones at all.
The line of reasoning that led you to selling a chinese phone because of backdoors and buy another one right after it is nonsensical to say the least.

I mean its not the only reason? I get bored of phones quickly and I mostly just needed an excuse to snag a op3.

Huh, so this is the first official huawei branded phone/tablet sold in the US. Wonder when the mate 9 is coming?

reKon

Banned
I mean its not the only reason? I get bored of phones quickly and I mostly just needed an excuse to snag a op3.

Huh, so this is the first official huawei branded phone/tablet sold in the US. Wonder when the mate 9 is coming?

Bestbuy has been selling off contract Huawei phones over a year now.

kharma45

Things must be different in the US. If I said Google Pixel this side of the Atlantic no one would have a clue. Phone might well have been warmly received by critics but it's still a niche device that the majority of the population won't know or care about.

Jeffrey

Also not being able to buy the pixel in a retail store for the millions of folks not on Verizon. A bit of a hard sell.

Guess you can buy it online but, that does hurt.

Wonder if they will get all that sorted out with other carriers with pixel 2.

Things must be different in the US. If I said Google Pixel this side of the Atlantic no one would have a clue. Phone might well have been warmly received by critics but it's still a niche device that the majority of the population won't know or care about.

Verizon and Google went crazy in the US. They air many commercials every night on multiple networks. Basically Apple level advertising and it's still happening.

Google also sent review units to pretty much every media outlet possible and they all reviewed and reviewed positively. I'm talking about non tech media outlets that never even care about phones unless a new iPhone drops.

Things really could not have gone better for the Pixel launch in the US. (Besides multiple carrier stores not having them).

My dad wants to upgrade his S5 to something with a bigger display so S7 edge seems the obvious choice.

Any chance of a good deal over Black Friday do we think?

Moreche

I would have loved to buy a Pixel at launch but with no finance plan or protection plan in the U.K. they lost a sale from me.
I want to be treated the same as a buyer in the US.

tzare

Verizon and Google went crazy in the US. They air many commercials every night on multiple networks. Basically Apple level advertising and it's still happening.

Google also sent review units to pretty much every media outlet possible and they all reviewed and reviewed positively. I'm talking about non tech media outlets that never even care about phones unless a new iPhone drops.

Things really could not have gone better for the Pixel launch in the US. (Besides multiple carrier stores not having them).

it doesn't matter if it is just us based. Maybe pixel 2 will have success WW, just like apple or samsung are. Now it is irrelevant in most of the markets, it doesn't exist, i cannot buy it and when it is, it will probably be too close (or may even launch later) to next generation of android phones.
reminds me of XBO doing well in the US for a few months..... that is not the global picture.
Hey maybe google has a plan, and this it is just the first step for becoming number one android manufacturer in the future.

Europe is east of China confirmed!

it doesn't matter if it is just us based. Maybe pixel 2 will have success WW, just like apple or samsung are. Now it is irrelevant in most of the markets, it doesn't exist, i cannot buy it and when it is, it will probably be too close (or may even launch later) to next generation of android phones.
reminds me of XBO doing well in the US for a few months..... that is not the global picture.
Hey maybe google has a plan, and this it is just the first step for becoming number one android manufacturer in the future.

The US centric view of this thread is always funny, considering where the majority of Android's success lies. I understand why that's the case in this thread or on GAF in general, but less absolute statements would be appreciated.

tzare

The US centric view of this thread is always funny, considering where the majority of Android's success lies. I understand why that's the case in this thread or on GAF in general, but less absolute statements would be appreciated.

i can understand google's approach trying to go for such an important market as the US one, obviously, and those with english as their main language since it is important for their services (assistant google now), but it is kinda fun how some consider Pixel as something relevant compared to what samsung, apple or huawei have achieved worldwide. Even sony with their weird US presence is more important thant Google as a phone manufacturer right now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My time spent living and working in Europe demonstrated why tech development there is so, so far behind the USA.

tzare

My time spent living and working in Europe demonstrated why tech development there is so, so far behind the USA.

depends on what tech i suppose. And regarding brands, most things are sold all over the world, so every market has its relevance, and well, as mentioned before, as example, some may think XBO is doing fabulous just because it is doing okay un US, but the real world says otherwise. And companies earn their money from anywhere they sell products. So yes, pixel is now fucking irrelevant in the world compared to most OEMs

they're going to do a double reverse Xperia

Quixzlizx

Also not being able to buy the pixel in a retail store for the millions of folks not on Verizon. A bit of a hard sell.

Guess you can buy it online but, that does hurt.

Wonder if they will get all that sorted out with other carriers with pixel 2.

Considering it's mostly backordered, it could potentially just be timed exclusivity until they can ramp up production.

Menaged

Got a new update for my Nexus 5x (maybe it was just a security patch), and maybe I'm imagining, but it seems like my battery took another it.
Could be placebo though, but I'm still a bit sour about my battery since Nougat.

TTOOLL

This. I can buy any Apple or Samsung product here. Google's?

Jeffrey

You can overnight a phone from amazon with a 1080p screen and a finger print sensor for less than $200. You might get chinese spyware, but life always has its risks.

Never been a better time to buy a phone still.

Top Bottom