• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Fracas

#fuckonami
So why do you guys use an Android device over anything else? (iOS, Blackberry, WP10, Tizen[lol])

What are some defining qualities that make you not want to ever switch?

As someone who just switched to Android from iOS, it's the former's customization that I love. Every single facet of Android is customizable, and I really enjoy having options.

And there's also the price-specs facet to consider. You're getting far better features than an iPhone for a better price. Not to say Apple's ecosystem is bad (for example, iOS is much more user friendly imo), but Android is pretty much everything I wanted out of an OS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So why do you guys use an Android device over anything else? (iOS, Blackberry, WP10, Tizen[lol])

iOS is the only real alternative, and while iMessage is tempting I've just kept with my current setup. I like Google apps. I like Chromecast support. I like banking rewards credit. I like having access to my already purchased apps as well as Humble Indie Games.

Plus going forward with current pricing you can get 90% of the iPhone Plus experience for a fraction of the cost these days.

For starters I like Google's services a lot more than any service Apple offers with the exception of iMessage. While some people say Google's apps are better on iOS (And some of them are) I prefer them on Android and I also prefer using things like the Google Now side-tab, and Google Now voice assistant compared to the hot mess that is named Siri. Also I'm not sure if it just me, but email on iOS feels like hot garbage. Whether I used the stock app or Gmail it just didn't work that well and no matter what I did it would constantly show that "999+ unread messages" bubble on the app which annoyed the hell out of me.

I have also come to like Android simply because the OS feels a lot better than iOS. I mean, iOS use to have the advantage of being a lot smoother and more polished, but it feels like ever since iOS 8 or so that has no longer been the case. Don't get me wrong, Android has some annoying bugs and issues every update just like iOS, but I have come to accept them more because I like using the OS in general. Things like have a multitasking button and dedicated back-button on Android are things that have become hard to live without. iOS has its swipe left to back, but I felt like it didn't work in every app which just leaves it being wonky since it isn't supported in every application or setting.

Finally on a hardware level I'd say it is a wash. Honestly, I have owned some Android Phones that I have absolutely loved like the MotoX 2013 and my current MotoX 2014. However, not all Android phones are great and sometimes despite having over a dozen different manufacturers I still cannot get the perfect device that has all the features and a screen size I prefer. The thing is I feel like this would be an issue if I owned an iPhone as well. The iPhone 6S isn't a perfect phone by any means, it doesn't offer the best camera on the market, storage is limited, I'd prefer an AMOLED screen, and above all else it is ridiculously expensive. Even if I could force myself to use iOS I do not know if I can justify spending $800 (After tax for 64GB) on a phone when I could get so many other quality Android devices for at least $300 less than that.

Kssio_Aug

Other than Android, I can see only iOS as a real substitute.

I don't plan to change though. I'm used with Andorid's interface, and I use my Calendar Widget to remember many things, every day, as well as I use Google Keep a lot, and it syncs to my google account.

Also, since Android is a more open platform, it has some apps that allows some functionality that, if I'm not mistaken, an non-jailbroken iPhone can't offer, such as folders navigation.

Not sure if iPhone would allow me the same functionality I'm used to. I use Android devices for probably 10 years uninterrupted... when I think about switching to an iPhone I give up when I think about price and interface.

The only thing I have to complain about Android devices is that sometimes some annoying bugs just happen. I use a Nexus 5 and since a while (like 6 months or even more) I was having issues with the track pad recognising my head when making a call, what was making me accidentally touch the mute and other buttons with my ears! I restored my mobile yesterday though, and I hope that's finally fixed now.

clav

When Apple considers adopting a universal USB standard, I might switch.

Proprietary cables should not be a problem any more.

As for now, I like the removable battery feature + default apps.

If Surface Phone actually shows any competition, I may switch, too.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Nexus 6 (not P). It's just too slow after the Marshmallow update.

Galaxy S7, Droud Turbo 2, or Other? I'm on Verizon.

I'm curious how the Droid functions on Marshmallow.

Apple is the only alternative and Apple is a terrible company. I dislike Apple more than I like Google. (we all know how much i like google)

HTC's import ban and licensing agreement because of INVALID Apple patents.

Apple conspiring to remove Android and all its OEMs phones by creating the Rockstar consortium.

I could go on and on... You dont see google pulling this shit.

Typical users dont have the same priorities we do. People try something and if its confusing or stupid they move onto something else and tell their friends.

Samsung's goal is not to choose wireless charging over a good personal assistant. They want to do everything an iPhone can do plus more. If you want to compete with apple you cant confuse your user base like Samsung does. Hey Siri is probably a big thing for iPhone users now. On Samsung its a terrible experience when it doesnt have to be.

Samsung is choosing to fill a database with voice queries over gaining customers. Two personal assistants is not attractive and they should be just using googles since they dont have the choice to only user their own.

I'm not sure why you bring up Samsung's motives. I know why they're doing it and I know why it's wrong.

I'm saying that some people might not care about the voice assistant on their phones, regardless how much marketing money Google and Apple spend on it.

For some people, having Ok Google being replaced with S-Voice is not an issue at all. It's not even that useful, especially not outside the US. Not to mention that you can still use it, just not when the phone is locked, which is a very specific situation. If customers care about this specific thing, they should make it loud and clear that they're not going to support Samsung's behavior and trash it for having such a shitty replacement (which is what reviews already do).

I also didn't say that Samsung choose wireless charging over a voice assistant. I said that I would do that. Instantly. In a heartbeat. Google Now and Ok Google is that worthless to me. Google Now more so than Ok Google. I completely disabled that shit and replaced it with Cortana, because Now only showed me garbage and it got worse over time. "Oh hey, you said that you're interested in tech. Here are 10 shitty clickbait blurbs from The Verge, even though you've said that you're not interested in their stories a thousand times!" No idea how they could fuck this up so badly.

I'm using a Nexus 5 over an iPhone, because it was cheaper. I buy my phones off-contract and smartphones are usually not worth more than 400 bucks to me. That rules pretty much every iPhone out (the SE is 479 bucks here). Not to mention that iOS looks terrible and gaudy, while I love the material design aesthetics.

I'm not sure why you bring up Samsung's motives. I know why they're doing it and I know why it's wrong.

I'm saying that some people might not care about the voice assistant on their phones, regardless how much marketing money Google and Apple spend on it.

For some people, having Ok Google being replaced with S-Voice is not an issue at all. It's not even that useful, especially not outside the US. Not to mention that you can still use it, just not when the phone is locked, which is a very specific situation. If customers care about this specific thing, they should make it loud and clear that they're not going to support Samsung's behavior and trash it for having such a shitty replacement (which is what reviews already do).

I also didn't say that Samsung choose wireless charging over a voice assistant. I said that I would do that. Instantly. In a heartbeat. Google Now and Ok Google is that worthless to me. Google Now more so than Ok Google. I completely disabled that shit and replaced it with Cortana, because Now only showed me garbage and it got worse over time. "Oh hey, you said that you're interested in tech. Here are 10 shitty clickbait blurbs from The Verge, even though you've said that you're not interested in their stories a thousand times!" No idea how they could fuck this up so badly.

I'm using a Nexus 5 over an iPhone, because it was cheaper. I buy my phones off-contract and smartphones are usually not worth more than 400 bucks to me. That rules pretty much every iPhone out (the SE is 479 bucks here). Not to mention that iOS looks terrible and gaudy, while I love the material design aesthetics.

Are you outside the US?

I'm looking to upgrade from my Nexus 6 (not P). It's just too slow after the Marshmallow update.

Galaxy S7, Droud Turbo 2, or Other? I'm on Verizon.

I'm curious how the Droid functions on Marshmallow.
The Galaxy S7 is pretty much the best Android phone around at the moment and if you get it with Verizon's payment plan there are some deals to be had (Like what Best Buy is offering). That being said if you want another phablet device and can wait until August I would for the Note 7 which will probably be a phenomenal device.

Quasar

Android offers a wide range of handset choices and price ranges is one reason, the integration with other google products and services being another. The open-ness of the ecosystem and its bredth and depth is another.

Windows phone is a non starter, sadly as I liked the OS, they were just unable to get devs on board. And frankly without google apps I can't really consider it. Ditto non Android Black Berry phones.

So that leaves Apple, who are too expensive, too controlling. Though I do own some Apple hardware. At this point I'm pretty embedded in the google ecosystem so it would be pretty hard for me to switch. This will be moreso once Google Home comes out.

The Galaxy S7 is pretty much the best Android phone around at the moment and if you get it with Verizon's payment plan there are some deals to be had (Like what Best Buy is offering). That being said if you want another phablet device and can wait until August I would for the Note 7 which will probably be a phenomenal device.

Thanks. Phablet is not a requirement. If anything, my current phone is too big.

VoxPop

Wow lots of replies.

I've been using my iPhone 6 for a while now after a brief stint with the S6 Edge. I've had my fair share of Android phones and iPhones. Never got to actually use a Windows Phone.

LOVED my old Blackberry Curve + Bold and still want one (might pick up a Passport Silver Edition if I can find one for 300 or less)

My launch day M7 was glorious. It was new. It was fresh. It had awesome speakers. Unibody metal design. I really thought HTC was going to take Android places. I still have the phone and would use it if it wasn't a slow POS now and battery/camera didn't suck.

I don't really take sides of one or the other. Just use whatever I like most at the time.

My personal pros for each OS/Manufacturer

Android

Back Button - SO GOOD

Variety - It's great having so many different phones I can try but a lot of them are budget crap and/or just really doesn't excel in areas I want. But variety is always a plus.

Removable Battery - I think this is such a great feature on Android. Especially with the planned obsolescence on devices these days. Much better feature than stupid things like slow removable storage.

File System - Another great feature I can't live without which is why I can't ever drop jailbreak from my iPhone.

Direct downloads from browser - Same as above.

Customization - Skins are atrocious but being able to use launchers/rooting/tweaking easily more than makes up for it.

iOS

iMessage - Simply the best messaging app out there. Best UI. Lightning quick. Elegance and feature packed in one package. Nothing even comes close (trust me, I've used nearly every messaging app out there). FB Messenger is pretty good but I don't use FB anymore.

Ecosystem - The apps are second to none. A lot of apps run and look better on iOS. This is not a bash on Android but more at the devs. They also got a lot of the niche apps down which I can't find on Android.

General polish - This is something I can't stress enough. A majority of their built in apps look and work great. Things as simple as the dialer, calendar, keyboard, calculator, weather, camera, notes, stocks, music, podcasts, etc etc, all work amazing. I don't need to go on the App/Play Store and find a better version of a simple thing that should just work out of the box. Why do I have to deal with setting up something stupid like visual voicemail? Simple, functional and a good UX is all I need in my basic apps. I'm guaranteed a great camera, screen and battery. Something I can't say about Android.

3rd party support - Just because the iPhone is so popular, it gets immense support from 3rd parties. Can't say the same if I bought something like the Nexus 6P. I feel like I bought a Nintendo console when I buy an Android device unless its something popular like the Galaxy. It was a struggle finding nice accessories for my old HTC One, Nexus 5, etc, aside from cheapo cases on Amazon.

Blackberry

No frills. Great email and messaging apps (albeit the og king of messaging; BBM is no longer relevant). Legendary keyboard. That colorized LED notification light. A lot more tolerable now with support for most Android apps.

I honestly think Android just needs more premium handsets like the S7 Edge with slightly more polish and they could really do some damage. Wishful thinking though.

clav

^ So you were just borderline trolling for responses?

Some people can't use iMessage because they don't have latest Apple products. Why isn't there an Android or web equivalent? If it's that great, why isn't it everywhere?

Polish? Where's the back button on iOS? Upper left hand corner?

Third party keyboards are terrible on iOS. Chrome isn't really Chrome on iOS as it's rendering from Safari's backend. Apple requires users to step in to Apple Maps before allowing handoff to Google Maps.

As for Android, looks like removable batteries are not a thing any more. Couldn't you tell from my post that I own an old phone? Everyone is going sealed shut, and the removal process is extremely difficult since you have to heat up the epoxy glue.

Some people can't use iMessage because they don't have latest Apple products. Why isn't there an Android or web equivalent?

Third party keyboards are terrible on iOS.

As for Android, looks like removable batteries are not a thing any more. Couldn't you tell from my post that I own an old phone? Everyone is going sealed shut, and the removal process is extremely difficult since you have to heat up the epoxy glue.
most apps on ios don't need the back in the corner, you just swipe from the left edge. That's all I have to add to this.

where dem nexus leaks

clav

People made arguments how hidden UI elements are bad design.

One of the biggest complaints about Windows 8.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus leaks are boring. It'll be exactly what you think it'll be. I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

People made arguments how hidden UI elements are bad design.

One of the biggest complaints about Windows 8.
it's only bad when it's inconsistent

that's why the back button gets a lot of flack. It does different things in different places/apps. I don't mind either implimentation tbh. Going back isn't something I think about much lol.

Nexus leaks are boring. It'll be exactly what you think it'll be. I'd be thrilled to be wrong.
what I think? 2 giant fucking phones, overpriced, quesitonable battery life.

What I hope? 2 premium phones, one human size and one fetish size (5 and 5.5 or 4.8 and 5.5 or something). Great battery. Etc...les do it.

VoxPop

Some people can't use iMessage because they don't have latest Apple products. Why isn't there an Android or web equivalent? If it's that great, why isn't it everywhere?

Third party keyboards are terrible on iOS. Chrome isn't really Chrome on iOS as it's rendering from Safari's backend. Apple requires users to step in to Apple Maps before allowing handoff to Google Maps.

Trolling because I didn't expect a ton of people to reply? Lol

iMessage has been out since iOS5/Mountain Lion in 2012. What latest Apple products are you talking about?

Yeah, because the polish I was talking about was the back button /s

and no, you can turn off the "breadcrumbs" feature on the upper left corner. I usually just swipe the edge of the screen to go back or forward between apps/previous screen

Shrug, I don't use a third party keyboard either way. Or Chrome. Which is exactly what my polish remark was about. The default keyboard and Safari work perfectly fine for me.

I can set whatever default app for browser/maps with my jailbroken phone anyway (which I have set to Google Maps).

What are you so mad about anyway?

clav

I hear people yapping about how the iOS keyboard is terrible.

Also you just dismissed the problem why iMessage doesn't have a web equivalent.

Oh, yours is jailbroken.

So even you know the in box experience is broken. You had to do something.

VoxPop

I hear people yapping about how the iOS keyboard is terrible.

Oh, yours is jailbroken.

So even you know the in box experience is broken.

Yeah everyone roots their phone or unlocks their bootloader because its "in box experience is broken".

Consumers change the look of their homescreen because the "in box experience is broken"

KMzYj.gif

edit:

why does iMessage need a web equivalent?

It's a messaging app on my phone/laptop/tablet that auto changes to SMS when talking with a non-Apple device.

clav

Where did I say stuff about the bootloader and unlocking the phone?

That's your answer dismissing your reason to jailbreak a phone? You know you wanted default apps, so you jailbroke it.

iMessage can be platform agnostic which Google has done.

Why do I have to buy an iPad or Macbook or iPhone to use it?

Quasar

T

Shrug, I don't use a third party keyboard either way. Or Chrome. Which is exactly what my polish remark was about. The default keyboard and Safari work perfectly fine for me.

I can set whatever default app for browser/maps with my jailbroken phone anyway (which I have set to Google Maps).

I've certainly tried third party keyboards on my iPad, but they run terribly because of the way Apple set those up.

And certainly not being able to change defaults on iOS devices is a major annoyance that I don't have to deal with on Android. But really my list of iOS complaints is gigantic.

VoxPop

Where did I say stuff about the bootloader and unlocking the phone?

iMessage can be platform agnostic which Google has done.

Why do I have to buy an iPad or Macbook or iPhone to use it?

So rooting an Android device to get additional features is not the same as jailbreaking an iOS device to get additional features isn't similar in any way?

No one told you to buy an iOS device to use iMessage. The same way no one told you to buy an Android device to use Google Now.

What are you crying about?

clav

Apple is doing everything to close jailbreaking. When you have to do that though to get a feature, something is wrong with the current model.

Are you saying Apple should allow rooting?

I didn't say anything about rooting.

Then why do people say iMessage is the best to people who can't use it? There's no parity for comparisons if it can't be used on different platforms.

Quasar

edit:

why does iMessage need a web equivalent?

It's a messaging app on my phone/laptop/tablet that auto changes to SMS when talking with a non-Apple device.

Well to provide better cross-platformness. And that's pretty much why I never considered using it. A single platform messaging system is totally useless. Of course I hate the whole silo-ing of messaging that we have now overall.

Of course with all the lawsuits and damages Apple has been paying out for iMessage its not much of a surprise its been pretty static.

VoxPop

Apple is doing everything to close jailbreaking. When you have to do that though to get a feature, something is wrong with the current model.

Are you saying Apple should allow rooting?

I didn't say anything about rooting.

What exactly are they doing to close jailbreaking? If anything, they took a bunch of features from it. Including the APP STORE. Yeah a new major update usually breaks it but I don't see them going out of their way to destroy it.

Allow rooting? What are you even talking about?

Quasar said:
Well to provide better cross-platformness. And that's pretty much why I never considered using it. A single platform messaging system is totally useless. Of course hate the whole silo-ing of messaging that we have now overall.

Of course with all the lawsuits and damages Apple has been paying out for iMessage its not much of a surprise its been pretty static.

Yeah well, its mostly a messaging app for mobile devices. Which is why it automates to SMS when talking to people without iMessage. You can also use any of the hundreds of messaging apps on the app store if you need a web equivalent.

I have hangouts and iMessage both built into my messages app on my laptop without having to use two different programs.

clav

That's absolutely the end goal in addition to pushing software updates.

The device is not for you to mess around.

Apple is the only alternative and Apple is a terrible company. I dislike Apple more than I like Google. (we all know how much i like google)

HTC's import ban and licensing agreement because of INVALID Apple patents.

Apple conspiring to remove Android and all its OEMs phones by creating the Rockstar consortium.

I could go on and on... You dont see google pulling this shit.

lets not forget them conspiring with a cabal of book publishers to raise book prices for everyone.

Not to agree with clavier since he seems super defensive about this, but isn't the current version of iOS without a jailbreak in place? I just did a quick Google search and there was even a "The sky is falling" article on zdnet talking about how Jailbreak is coming to an end on iOS because the last one available was all the way back in March. I mean, if it has taken this long to make one available what happens when Apple releases another update and forces them to start all over?

how can it be called good, much less be called "the best" if a messaging platform actively stops messages from arriving?

it literally manages to cause the thing it's supposed to do to not happen.

doesn't that actually make it a shitty messaging app?

VoxPop

Not to agree with clavier since he seems super defensive about this, but isn't the current version of iOS without a jailbreak in place? I just did a quick Google search and there was even a "The sky is falling" article on zdnet talking about how Jailbreak is coming to an end on iOS because the last one available was all the way back in March. I mean, if it has taken this long to make one available what happens when Apple releases another update and forces them to start all over?

I highly doubt they make these updates just for the sole purpose of stopping jailbreaks. Especially when the amount of jailbroken phones is probably in low single digit percentages. Apple might as well brick everyones phone when they try and jailbreak then. The newest version has been jailbroken though (9.3.2) but not yet released.

The Faceless Master said:
how can it be called good, much less be called "the best" if a messaging platform actively stops messages from arriving?

it literally manages to cause the thing it's supposed to do to not happen.

doesn't that actually make it a shitty messaging app?

I don't think it ever stops the message? It's just how the system is. Your iMessage ID is linked to your phone number / email which usually stays the same when you switch phones. They should definitely tell you but it literally takes 10 seconds to deactivate and just receive SMS.

So rooting an Android device to get additional features is not the same as jailbreaking an iOS device to get additional features isn't similar in any way?

No one told you to buy an iOS device to use iMessage. The same way no one told you to buy an Android device to use Google Now.

What are you crying about?

it's not the same because you can buy a phone with an unlocked or uinlockable bootloader and root it right out of the box.

it's also not the same because out of the box without root access you can already do things that require a jailbreak on another platform.

VoxPop

it's not the same because you can buy a phone with an unlocked or uinlockable bootloader and root it right out of the box.

it's also not the same because out of the box without root access you can already do things that require a jailbreak on another platform.

Can you get rid of all the bloat on your carrier branded Galaxy S7 without root?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't miss my jailbreaking days. Or my Android ROM days.

Good riddance. Thanks to a far more flexible stock experience.

Top Bottom