• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I ended up disabling the S7's always on display, it's useless if I can't see 3rd party full notifications and I think the battery hit is no worth just to see the time, I miss Moto screen. I'm aware the Note 7 version will arrive with Nougat, so let's wait.

edit: I also disable aroung 37 processes using EZ disabler, let's see the difference now.

Note 7 version is so good.

this_guy

Allo is so much better than Hangouts for the non tech crowd. Honestly, my family and non geek friends just love using it already.

Once they add a desktop app I think a lot of Hangouts users will start migrating unless they use it for work.

The app itself is nice, but lack of a desktop app and conversations not moving when switching phones are two issues that need to be addressed asap.

HawkeyeIC

Yes. I have a 6P. The 5X is another family member's phone. I just kept saying me and my :p

The 6P camera has always been irritating in the sense of multiple picture taking slowdown. It was bearable last year but today, knowing the Pixel doesn't have that issue, far unbearable now.

I thought XDA had ported the Pixel app over to the 6p?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, that $450 gift card deal with Best Buy is too good to pass up, so I think I'm going to be getting my Galaxy Edge this afternoon.

Been out of the Android game, buying into the iPhone 6 hype and abandoning Android. Regretted it for 2 years.

What's the best device for streaming from phone to TV? Chromecast? Amazon Fire Stick? I've been using an Apple TV, and I'm guessing that's out.

Well, that $450 gift card deal with Best Buy is too good to pass up, so I think I'm going to be getting my Galaxy Edge this afternoon.

Been out of the Android game, buying into the iPhone 6 hype and abandoning Android. Regretted it for 2 years.

What's the best device for streaming from phone to TV? Chromecast? Amazon Fire Stick? I've been using an Apple TV, and I'm guessing that's out.

Look at the Pixel as well when it comes to Android phones.

Best steaming device is the Shield Android TV. Hands down. Android TV gives you both and allows chromecasting and a full smart TV interface. A more budget friendly version would be the Mi Box sold at Walmart but the Shield is really where it's at.

Fire TV is a completely different ecosystem than what your new phone will be and won't have casting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Look at the Pixel as well when it comes to Android phones.

Best steaming device is the Shield Android TV. Hands down. Android TV gives you both and allows chromecasting and a full smart TV interface. A more budget friendly version would be the Mi Box sold at Walmart but the Shield is really where it's at.

Fire TV is a completely different ecosystem than what your new phone will be and won't have casting.

Pixel isn't an option for me. I refuse to ever buy a phone without expandable memory again.

Shield TV is kind of pricey. But, I'm getting a lot of Best BUy gift cards. Might try it, and just return if it it's too much. One question on it though. Does it have an IR receiver so I can use a universal remote on it?

reKon

Banned
uh so this was a trainwreck of a weekend:

- Lost my Galaxy S7 last night, doubtful that I'll be able to recover it as I'm sure some fucker in a Cab after me took it or the maybe cab driver themselves (I wish I wasn't so careless after drinking)

- I had actually ordered a Galaxy S7 Edge Int'l version from Swappa 3 weeks ago and USPS has seemed to lose track of the package. I'm going to try to figure out what sorting facility that it's stuck at put pressure on them to find my fucking package. Otherwise going to have to file a claim since it's insured and it will take even longer.

- If I don't recovery my S7, I essentially lose the $300 - $350 that I would have been able to sell it for.

- Since moving over 5 months ago, I STILL have not been able to find my back up phone, the Xperia Z3 Compact. I swear I've checked everywhere and it's nowhere to be found.

So yeah.. I think what I'll have to do is just buy that Moto G4 Play for $100 from Amazon and have this be my temp phone and eventually just a back up phone. The Xperia Z3 Compact doesn't have 12 band LTE, but the Moto G4 Play does so in the event I'm able to find it, I would have sadly have to sell my Z3 Compact (it was a fantastic phone - great performer, great battery life, and easy to hold).

Any thoughts? Is there some big sale on cheap Android phones that I should be aware of coming this week that's under $150 and would be a significantly better option?

Pixel isn't an option for me. I refuse to ever buy a phone without expandable memory again.

Shield TV is kind of pricey. But, I'm getting a lot of Best BUy gift cards. Might try it, and just return if it it's too much. One question on it though. Does it have an IR receiver so I can use a universal remote on it?

It has an IR receiver. It's a powerhouse when it comes to features. Not much it can't do and most are very happy with the purchase. It's also not too spendy when you compare it against an Apple TV so maybe you can sell yours to make up some of it.

Make sure you try to get the bundle where you get the gaming controller and the TV remote for the same $200 entry fee.

hey guys, i'm having a dilemma w.r.t. messaging on my phone. sick of having multiple messaging apps. i primarily use signal, but i hate how wonky sms messaging can be especially when i'm sending group messages to iphone users. i don't really have a handle on how that plays out (esp when i switch from iOS to android but retain the same phone number)

what i'm looking for is an all-in-one messaging application that allows me to text people from my desktop. no missed messages. i do love the encryptiont that signal provides, however. maybe combining it with something like pushbullet? or is allo the right method? i essentially want the benefits of iMessage but for android, lol.

is pushbullet still the best app for quickly sending things between phone/comp? i.e. sending a link from my browser to my phone asap. thanks for any tips.

Quixzlizx

hey guys, i'm having a dilemma w.r.t. messaging on my phone. sick of having multiple messaging apps. i primarily use signal, but i hate how wonky sms messaging can be especially when i'm sending group messages to iphone users. i don't really have a handle on how that plays out (esp when i switch from iOS to android but retain the same phone number)

what i'm looking for is an all-in-one messaging application that allows me to text people from my desktop. no missed messages. i do love the encryptiont that signal provides, however. maybe combining it with something like pushbullet? or is allo the right method? i essentially want the benefits of iMessage but for android, lol.

is pushbullet still the best app for quickly sending things between phone/comp? i.e. sending a link from my browser to my phone asap. thanks for any tips.

I think Hangouts is the only Google solution with both SMS support and a desktop app. Don't really know about third-party apps.

Allo is so much better than Hangouts for the non tech crowd. Honestly, my family and non geek friends just love using it already.

Once they add a desktop app I think a lot of Hangouts users will start migrating unless they use it for work.
when/if they do this, I hope they separate it from chrome and just make it its own application. Would be cool if Allo was a standalone chat app you can get on every single platform.

it's not perfect but AirDroid...

Noema

These discussions make me glad that I live in a land ruled under the yoke of Whatsapp totalitarianism. For better or worse, I don't have to worry about messaging apps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Held of on the edge. Guy at Best Buy told me that if I wait till Black Friday I can get a Gear for free as well as the $450.
I'd want in but it looks like I have to get a phone contract? Annoying.

I'd want in but it looks like I have to get a phone contract? Annoying.
I think it's only available on the monthly payment plans which isn't that bad since you could just pay it all off right away. Also, I think you can apply the $200 trade-on GC to the price off the phone so you'd only pay $500 instead of $700.

NEO0MJ

So it looks like I'll have to replace my phone soon. I was wondering when the next flagship is coming? If it's soon I'll wait for it. If not what's the best non Samsung or Sony option right now? Is the Motorola good?

mackattk

So it looks like I'll have to replace my phone soon. I was wondering when the next flagship is coming? If it's soon I'll wait for it. If not what's the best non Samsung or Sony option right now? Is the Motorola good?

Moto's are good - slightly overpriced but I am really enjoying my Z Play quite a bit and am extremely happy with it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Google Pixel, HTC 10, LG G5.

These refresh products are dumb. How about companies just do it right the first time and not release a slightly updated product 2-3 months after the phone originally launched.

Jeffrey

Not feeling these refresh models.

If people want a OP or ZTE just get the already released models for cheaper.

at least the ZTE you can still buy the older model unlike OP3.

It's not really a refresh anyways. they've been selling this model in china day 1. Think they were just waiting to see if it was worth bringing over here.

'3d touch' on android will forever be trash until google standardizes it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what's a good microsd card to add to a phone and blend it as internal? Have not had a phone with a sd card in ages.

Jeffrey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_BTRPUr6k

I have to agree with MKBHD here, the OnePlus 3T is basically picking up where Nexus left off. Now if they have CDMA for the OP4 by early summer/late Spring, then you could see these things really, really sell, considering how large the user base is for Verizon. I'd fucking buy one if it worked on Verizon.

The issue is that many of the popular rom creators already said they are passing on OP3T. Hope OP is smart about it and send them some freebie phones, because otherwise OP3T's rom scene might be DOA.

The issue is that many of the popular rom creators already said they are passing on OP3T. Hope OP is smart about it and send them some freebie phones, because otherwise OP3T's rom scene might be DOA.

Is it weird for me that I'd be okay to just use the given ROM?

LG G5 prices are looking nice, but it's so old now. And it's unlocked. Would I be missing out on any AT&T features if I buy unlocked? Its gimmick is already dead too. And how is the screen? I saw an S7 the other day and the burn-in was so bad. A shame for such an otherwise nice screen.

Hey guys, what's the best local password manager for Android ? I'd want it to be sufficiently encrypted and I don't care for syncing the passwords or storing them on the cloud as I'd want to use my smartphone which I always have on me more like a digital notepad for passwords.

Thanks !

LG G5 prices are looking nice, but it's so old now. And it's unlocked. Would I be missing out on any AT&T features if I buy unlocked? Its gimmick is already dead too. And how is the screen? I saw an S7 the other day and the burn-in was so bad. A shame for such an otherwise nice screen.

AT&T features? Like what? I guarantee whatever they have on their carrier models are things you will not want.

You have to go in buying it understanding the mod portion is DOA. The phone itself is fine but there are a few issues I had when I had mine. The headphone jack quality sucks. Straight up the worst. The battery is average. The screen has some light bleed. Finally the fingerprint sensor seems loose and janky.

Top Bottom