• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Hey guys, what's the best local password manager for Android ? I'd want it to be sufficiently encrypted and I don't care for syncing the passwords or storing them on the cloud as I'd want to use my smartphone which I always have on me more like a digital notepad for passwords.

Thanks !
Keepass2Android

Jeffrey

Is it weird for me that I'd be okay to just use the given ROM?

Nope. Default rom will always have the best camera software unless they ever get around to releasing the blobs.

There are some fantastic roms out there though. Sultanxda is notable around oneplus scene for really decent camera app. Also he underclocks the cpu in a way to minimize performance lost but with notable battery gains.

Do note that oneplus combined their oxygen and hydrogen (China os) teams which is why stock os is looking more and more Chinese custom android now than before which can be a turn off.

GuessWho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_BTRPUr6k

I have to agree with MKBHD here, the OnePlus 3T is basically picking up where Nexus left off. Now if they have CDMA for the OP4 by early summer/late Spring, then you could see these things really, really sell, considering how large the user base is for Verizon. I'd fucking buy one if it worked on Verizon.
What a horrible "review". Anyways I really want one, but I also want a v20. Decision time: Op3 unlocked or v20 under contract.

Jeffrey

What a horrible "review". Anyways I really want one, but I also want a v20. Decision time: Op3 unlocked or v20 under contract.

op3 will let you save a few hundred bucks, snappier os, dash chargin is amazing.

V20 is basically better at everything else.

pick your poison?

AT&T features? Like what? I guarantee whatever they have on their carrier models are things you will not want.

You have to go in buying it understanding the mod portion is DOA. The phone itself is fine but there are a few issues I had when I had mine. The headphone jack quality sucks. Straight up the worst. The battery is average. The screen has some light bleed. Finally the fingerprint sensor seems loose and janky.

I'm more concerned about stuff like HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, or Visual Voicemail. Those dumb gimmicks that I'm not sure I'm guaranteed to get when I just willy-nilly bring over a random device I bought. I've never bought unlocked, so I wouldn't know what to expect about the whole transfer process and making sure it's all registered correctly on my account.
Oh, but that backlight bleed. It might be something I'll need to see from an actual functioning model to possibly deter me from buying it.

daoster

Well now....not even a year and I've just encountered my first bootloop on my 5X......ARRGH, anybody know how to stop it without completely resetting my phone? THis is stock, with nothing rooted or anything. Haven't even played around with the system much.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well now....not even a year and I've just encountered my first bootloop on my 5X......ARRGH, anybody know how to stop it without completely resetting my phone? THis is stock, with nothing rooted or anything. Haven't even played around with the system much.
Yup. Get it repaired.

Edit: LG just e-mailed me on my 5X repair. What timing.

Defect: Power-Completely off
Payment Type: NOT APPLICABLE
Repair Results: Flash Memory

Sounds like a crap repair to me. Flash memory? Did they factory reset it? Replace the flash memory? Flash the already existing memory? Why did it take three weeks? Idiots.

I'm really glad that I didn't cheap out and get a 5X or G4. (inb4: Galaxy S7 explodes in pants)

Are the Nextbit Robin affected as well? I'm still thinking about getting one for the hell of it.

Asgaro

How many more alternate universes do I have to travel to before I arrive in one where compact smartphones are appreciated for the fabulous little things they are?

Get me off this wild ride!

*igniting space rocket*

thuway

I want the new One Plus 3T but with the Snapdragon 835 on the horizon, there is a pretty significant spec bump just around the corner. With how long we stuck with the Snapdragon 800-810; I think I can wait a tiny bit longer.

Nikodemos

How many more alternate universes do I have to travel to before I arrive in one where compact smartphones are appreciated for the fabulous little things they are?

Get me off this wild ride!

*igniting space rocket*
I feel your pain (Z5C user here).

I want the new One Plus 3T but with the Snapdragon 835 on the horizon, there is a pretty significant spec bump just around the corner. With how long we stuck with the Snapdragon 800-810; I think I can wait a tiny bit longer.

Unless you're a big gamer or really anal about video recording, the 820 and 821 are perfectly fine.

Besides, I don't think One plus will be the first to release a 835 phone.

andthebeatgoeson

Hey guys, what's the best local password manager for Android ? I'd want it to be sufficiently encrypted and I don't care for syncing the passwords or storing them on the cloud as I'd want to use my smartphone which I always have on me more like a digital notepad for passwords.

Thanks !

Keepass2Android
I love keep pass. And it sounds like you don't need syncing. If you ever do, use drop box.

yyzjohn

Banned
I love keep pass. And it sounds like you don't need syncing. If you ever do, use drop box.

I use KeePass as well, and I keep my DB syned on Google drive. I have 2 factor authentication with Google so I'm relatively secure with this solution. Tried LastPass for a bit but just didn't really like it. KeePass is cheap and works great.

TTOOLL

I must confess, I'm really afraid of using my S7 naked. I've never used cases or screen protectors, I believe the time is now =( I have a feeling the shortest fall will destroy this thing.

Vic

I must confess, I'm really afraid of using my S7 naked. I've never used cases or screen protectors, I believe the time is now =( I have a feeling the shortest fall will destroy this thing.
The 6P's back is so slippery that a case is almost obligatory.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
RUMOR

Android Authority

An image obtained by Chinese tech site anzhuo.cn might have revealed the specs for Qualcomm’s next-generation mobile processor, the Snapdragon 835. Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon 835 – previously thought to be called the Snapdragon 830 – last week, but didn’t delve into details concerning its hardware. Now the finer details may be out in the open.

aa-snapdragon-835-specs-leak.jpg

daoster

Yup. Get it repaired.

Edit: LG just e-mailed me on my 5X repair. What timing.

Defect: Power-Completely off
Payment Type: NOT APPLICABLE
Repair Results: Flash Memory

Sounds like a crap repair to me. Flash memory? Did they factory reset it? Replace the flash memory? Flash the already existing memory? Why did it take three weeks? Idiots.

Wonder if they did something like thata?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/req-help-to-unbrick-t3251740

I'd do it myself, but fuck it, I don't have time to fuck around with my phone anymore.

I'm so fucking annoyed. I've been enjoying the 5x, especially since the 7.1 Beta, but this shit is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I still have the Nexus 6, which, I guess I should be thankful I didn't sell, but I'm gonna jump into a new phone

Looks like I'm going to be buying the Pixel or Pixel XL, even though I wanted to hold out till the Pixel 2.

Anybody know if Best Buy's version of Pixel is locked bootloader? I dunno why I care, since I don't really mess around with my phones anymore, but I still want the ability.

Wonder if they did something like thata?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/req-help-to-unbrick-t3251740

I'd do it myself, but fuck it, I don't have time to fuck around with my phone anymore.

I'm so fucking annoyed. I've been enjoying the 5x, especially since the 7.1 Beta, but this shit is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I still have the Nexus 6, which, I guess I should be thankful I didn't sell, but I'm gonna jump into a new phone

Looks like I'm going to be buying the Pixel or Pixel XL, even though I wanted to hold out till the Pixel 2.

Anybody know if Best Buy's version of Pixel is locked bootloader? I dunno why I care, since I don't really mess around with my phones anymore, but I still want the ability.

Yes all BB Pixels have locked bootloaders but if you order a regular Pixel on the Google store there is no wait now. 1 day of order processing.

Honestly, it sucks upgrading early but you will be glad you did. The Pixel is a enormous upgrade over the 5x. I used to have the 5x and don't see how I could have lasted the year on that thing's battery life / performance.

I understand what you mean. I thought the same, when I got it new.

But after being unable to find a case I like, I said screw it.

It's even worse with screen protectors, because most of them don't cover the whole screen, due to the rounded edges of the glass. It's a nightmare.

daoster

Yes all BB Pixels have locked bootloaders but if you order a regular Pixel on the Google store there is no wait now. 1 day of order processing.

Honestly, it sucks upgrading early but you will be glad you did. The Pixel is a enormous upgrade over the 5x. I used to have the 5x and don't see how I could have lasted the year on that thing's battery life / performance.

Well, only reason why I want to go to BB is because they supposedly will have a $100 off Black Friday deal for the Pixel.

Do I really need an unlocked bootloader though? Haven't messed around with my phone since the G2 days.

Well, only reason why I want to go to BB is because they supposedly will have a $100 off Black Friday deal for the Pixel.

Do I really need an unlocked bootloader though? Haven't messed around with my phone since the G2 days.

I am guessing the deal is only if you sign an agreement with Verizon?

The locked boot loader isn't a big deal. What is a big deal is if Verizon hurts updates and / or the resale value is worse than the Google store model.

Both of those are unknown at the time though.

daoster

I am guessing the deal is only if you sign an agreement with Verizon?

The locked boot loader isn't a big deal. What is a big deal is if Verizon hurts updates and / or the resale value is worse than the Google store model.

Both of those are unknown at the time though.

Hmm, good point, that deal is probably only if I sign an agreement with Verizon....and that's an issue since I'm a TMo customer.

Regardless, I'll hold off until Black Friday hoping that Google does some sort of Black Friday deal...though I doubt it. The good news is, I'll only have to wait a couple of days to find out!

Jeffrey

where are pixel demo stations?

my local BB doesn't have any (they do have honor 8's out though lol).

Guess ill have to find a verizon joint.

Vic

I'm not going to upgrade my 6P from Pure Nexus 7.0 for as loooong as it takes. It's very stable with a great battery life.

Nikodemos

Does anyone know when Sony's going to get Nougat? Or what version are they going to get?
If I remember correctly, Sony tends to wait until the bugs are ironed out of a version before updating. That's how it worked with 5, anyway (Sony waited until 5.1.1 instead of pushing 5.0.2 like everybody else).

hitgirl

Girlfriend mom wants a tablet for Christmas. She did some research and decided on an nvidia k1. I know nothing about tablets, this a good one?

Jeffrey

Girlfriend mom wants a tablet for Christmas. She did some research and decided on an nvidia k1. I know nothing about tablets, this a good one?

huh didn't even know those are in stock. thought they were wiped off the market a while ago.

If you have a bit more money, the 'new' huawei tablet seems quite good for $300. better screen and apparently quite loud speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LB08BH6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does nvidia still support their tablets?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So I haven't sent in my 5X for repair yet, but I just want to say I'm shocked at how good the battery life I'm getting on the Moto G4 is. Looking at 9 hours of screen on time.

Bloodember

huh didn't even know those are in stock. thought they were wiped off the market a while ago.

If you have a bit more money, the 'new' huawei tablet seems quite good for $300. better screen and apparently quite loud speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LB08BH6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does nvidia still support their tablets?

Yes, Nvidia still supports their tablets. Plus the Nvidia tablets are on 6.0.1 and have been getting the security updates.

reKon

Banned
So I haven't sent in my 5X for repair yet, but I just want to say I'm shocked at how good the battery life I'm getting on the Moto G4 is. Looking at 9 hours of screen on time.

damn, I guess I'm set then. Ordered a G4 Play that comes into tomorrow and this should theoretically get better life than the G4. MKBHD reviewed the Moto G3 and the Moto 4 Play has this same exact internals except for a bigger battery and will get the Android 7.0 update. It's going to make it hard for me again to go back to flagship that doesn't have top battery life. That's why the S7 Edge is the clear option, lol..

Moto G4 Play has VoLTE and 12 band LTE as well.

I still can't believe that I lost three phones. FML...

Top Bottom