• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

wilflare

Square-Enix is having a Go Games flash sale. Everything is 99 cents. Go grab what you don't already own!

which one should I start with?

I've been using iTunes to manage and download my podcast. Is the PocketCast Web UI good? I remember using the trial but I think I found iTunes more straightforward (discovery, etc.)

reKon

Banned
Honor 8 for 290 USD: https://slickdeals.net/f/9407319-hu...or-290-64gb-for-340-free-shipping#commentsBox

Any recommendations of the best "bang for your buck" backup smartphone?

The cheaper, the better.

Seems to be the Moto G4 Play. I've ordered one which should be arriving tomorrow. Should have great battery life and is fully compatible with all carriers. It's going to get Android 7 as well. You can only get this for $99 (amazon ad version, which can be removed), if you're an amazon prime member...

If you want to spend a bit more, then there's the Moto G4 Play or the BLU Life One X2 that should be looking at.

Thinking of jumping on this Honor 8. EMUI 4 looks like trash but the 5.0 beta looks a lot better. Probably will just be my personal/secondary phone since I primarily use my work phone nowadays.

Anandtech review makes it seem like it's not too bad.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Hmm Axon 7 for $350. Should I bite?

....nah. Good phone but it's not a Jazzy Network phone
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The amount of shit you get with a unlocked V20 is ridiculous:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1285960-REG/lg_lgus996_ausatn_lg_v20_4gb_ram.html
Includes Free

Total Value Up To: $194.93

LG 8GB G Pad 7.0" Wi-Fi Tablet (Black)

ASUS ZenPower Pro 10050mAh Battery Pack (Black)

Your choice of one item :
JBL Synchros E40BT Bluetooth On-Ear Headphones (Black)
JBL Synchros E40BT Bluetooth On-Ear Headphones (White)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875136396&cm_re=LG_V20-_-75-136-396-_-Product

Order the LG v20 Smartphone from Newegg.com to receive a set of Harman Kardon gifts. Included are a the Soho Wireless COACH Limited Edition Bluetooth Headphones with leopard print, and a matching Esquire Mini COACH Limited Edition Bluetooth Portable Speaker.

bonusorder_112216.jpg

tempting

AndyD

aka andydumi
Moto Z got Nougat last night. It's really nice, though minimally different. Though I'm not sure I'm a fan of the full width notifications in the shade.

And the Incipio Off-grid chargepack, it makes the phone an appropriate thickness, even in suit pants, and takes the phone to a whopping total of 4500ah. It's crazy. Now to find a thin bumper of sorts for some side grip.

Hitta93

Banned
Honor 8 for 290 USD: https://slickdeals.net/f/9407319-hu...or-290-64gb-for-340-free-shipping#commentsBox

Seems to be the Moto G4 Play. I've ordered one which should be arriving tomorrow. Should have great battery life and is fully compatible with all carriers. It's going to get Android 7 as well. You can only get this for $99 (amazon ad version, which can be removed), if you're an amazon prime member...

If you want to spend a bit more, then there's the Moto G4 Play or the BLU Life One X2 that should be looking at.
$100 is definitely the sweet spot. Was recommended a Moto E but that's way too budget for me lol.

Is that a holiday sale price or it's permanent?

reKon

Banned
$100 is definitely the sweet spot. Was recommended a Moto E but that's way too budget for me lol.

Is that a holiday sale price or it's permanent?

this is the perm amazon prime discount price. I was heavily debating just saying fuck it and going for one of the $150 phones, but I keep reminding myself that I need to make this cheap as possible, that's not completing shitty because eventually I will buy a discounted 2016 flagship as my main phone anyways.

Regarding the Moto G Play is has the same processor as the Moto E, which is the SD 410. If you're not going to be playing games, this is definitely good enough for web browsing. the main upgrade here is the better camera, higher res screen, battery size increase, and most importantly, two 2 GB of ram. Android is highly polished and very well optimized for this phone. I actually had the Moto E (2nd gen) as a temp phone last year when I was transitioning to the S7, but I ended up returning it. T-Mobile disabled 12 band LTE on it. The Moto G Play is fully compatible with it now. This and rest of the Moto G line up can be used on any carrier and that's awesome for use and resale purposes.

Quixzlizx

I'm not getting the $100 offer. I have Prime, but my account isn't the one being charged for it, so I guess only the "main" Prime account gets the offer.

Pixel apparently selling very well at Verizon.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/google-pixel-phones-selling-exceptionally-190742688.html

I could see the Pixel 2 easily doing 10 - 15 million next fall if this keeps up.

Apple, Google is gunning for you.
Looks more like a sensationalist title than anything else. Without actual hard numbers it really cannot be said that it is selling well. Some company doing a study like this doesn't mean much since you really do not know where the data came from. Not to mention, 7.5% of all activation from Verizon last month sounds really freaking low for a new smartphone that was meant to compete with the iPhone and Galaxy which are probably in the 30%+ ranges at the absolute very least and they say activation for other carriers are in the 0-2 range which sounds bad assuming they mean percent.

(Edit) Android Central has better article where they guesstimate the numbers. Verizon sold roughly 8,000,000 smartphones in Q3 which if we suggested similar numbers for Q4 that means the Pixel has sold 600,000 and we are only one month through the fourth quarter. For comparison I looked back at the Galaxy S6 since I could not find good enough numbers on the S7 and the S6 sold roughly 6,000,000 phones in the first month worldwide. The iPhone 6S sold over 13,000,000 during its first week, but obviously nobody can touch Apple like that.

lunchtoast

Just wanted to say I recently went to Spain and took a lot of pics with the 5X with great results. My friends who have an Iphone 6/+ and a Nokia camera were impressed and preferred them to their iphone photos. I've had the phone since it came out but this is the first time I used it heavily for pics.

Plus google photos makes organizing and sharing photos so easy.

So my Nexus 5X broke down recently due to a hardware problem when in conjunction with the Nougat update. This causes my phone to perpetually go into boot mode but never actually turn on. It's supposedly a problem in a few early batches of the 5X.

I send it to LG for a repair 2 weeks ago and they tell me they're out of parts to replace so I'm getting a full refund instead!

shit this is a great christmas present for me, I'm putting the $430 towards a Pixel phone

Looks more like a sensationalist title than anything else. Without actual hard numbers it really cannot be said that it is selling well. Some company doing a study like this doesn't mean much since you really do not know where the data came from. Not to mention, 7.5% of all activation from Verizon last month sounds really freaking low for a new smartphone that was meant to compete with the iPhone and Galaxy which are probably in the 30%+ ranges at the absolute very least and they say activation for other carriers are in the 0-2 range which sounds bad assuming they mean percent.

(Edit) Android Central has better article where they guesstimate the numbers. Verizon sold roughly 8,000,000 smartphones in Q3 which if we suggested similar numbers for Q4 that means the Pixel has sold 600,000 and we are only one month through the fourth quarter. For comparison I looked back at the Galaxy S6 since I could not find good enough numbers on the S7 and the S6 sold roughly 6,000,000 phones in the first month worldwide. The iPhone 6S sold over 13,000,000 during its first week, but obviously nobody can touch Apple like that.

You basically just shit on one article for making estimates and and just said a different one was better that is just making estimates.

:/

You basically just shit on one article for making estimates and and just said a different one was better that is just making estimates.

:/
I shitted on the article because they aren't even making estimates because, there are no solid numbers in it. I'm not saying Android Central's is any truer, but at least they did some research and came up with *rough* numbers that may support what is being suggested. The article from Yahoo is basically click bait because they use a stupid title that would catch the eye and then you open up the article and see there that it lacks any numbers to suggest what "Exceptionally well" exactly means. It'd be another story if they had the information that Android Central's story has in it, but instead you open it up to them saying the Pixel is doing "Exceptionally well on Verizon" and then they proceed to not even give you an idea to suggest it is doing well other than saying it is estimated to have accounted for 7.5% of Verizon activation from last month and they do not even try to come up with a number on it.

I shitted on the article because they aren't even making estimates because, there are no solid numbers in it. I'm not saying Android Central's is any truer, but at least they did some research and came up with *rough* numbers that may support what is being suggested. The article from Yahoo is basically click bait because they use a stupid title that would catch the eye and then you open up the article and see there that it lacks any numbers to suggest what "Exceptionally well" exactly means. It'd be another story if they had the information that Android Central's story has in it, but instead you open it up to them saying the Pixel is doing "Exceptionally well on Verizon" and then they proceed to not even give you an idea to suggest it is doing well other than saying it is estimated to have accounted for 7.5% of Verizon activation from last month and they do not even try to come up with a number on it.

Both articles used the same source except the yahoo one ALSO gives numbers based on the digitimes estimate. Yahoo is just reporting on the same info Android Central did from wave 7 plus the additional digitimes info. It is certainly not click bait anymore than Android Central's is.

Android Central using quarter 3 to estimate quarter 4 is not more informative and makes it even more misleading. Saying quarter 3 is similar to a quarter with a holiday shopping season and black Friday sales doesn't seem accurate at all.

If you want to start getting serious about it why don't you find the increase in Verizon's quarter 3 to quarter 4 from last year and while your at it figure out what the og Nexus 5 sold on the Google store. Quadruple it and add that into the pile too.

Things are looking great for pixel sales. How about we leave it at that?

Jeffrey

After thinking it over I think I'm going with the Moto G4 Plus. Anything I should know about it regarding flaws, etc?

I'm seeing its still around $300 for 64gb.

There are quite a few better spec phones around that price this black friday weekend (axon 7 is $350, honor 8 is $300, idol 4 is $350 etc).

If none of that matters though, its a perfectly fine phone.

The Best Buy S7/S7 Edge got even better for BF. It's now a $400 GC and an additional $200 GC with the trade-in of any working smartphone. Kind of makes me wish I had Verizon because, I'd really like an S7 for what is effectively $100 if you treat the GC's like cash.

Top Bottom