• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

reKon

Banned
After oen day usage I can cofirm that the G4 Play has great battery life and very smooth performance for general usage.

this_guy

Any thoughts of the HTC One A9?

Thinking about buying a Boost Mobile model for cheap and unlocking it from there to TMobile.

Moto G4 Plus is pretty much the same hardware but with a decent battery. HTC One A9 had a tiny battery. Also HTC made 2 unlocked models - one for Sprint and the other for T-Mobile/AT&T. Sure if you unlock you can use on T-Mobile but the antenna was probably tuned better for Sprint frequencies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
RSBrowser just quit working on Amazon, huh? Jeez.

co1onel

RSBrowser just quit working on Amazon, huh? Jeez.
Been like that for a couple of weeks for me. Also, none of the amp links work on rsbrowser, so I have to go into the url and manually delete the amp part everytime. Anyone know of an alternative caf browser that doesn't have these problems?

BiggNife

Any way to turn off those obnoxious trending searches that pop up when I press the google search button on my Pixel's home screen?

Googling told me to go to Search and Now -> Autocomplete -> turn off "Show Trending Stories" which I did but they keep showing up.

Hasney

Been like that for a couple of weeks for me. Also, none of the amp links work on rsbrowser, so I have to go into the url and manually delete the amp part everytime. Anyone know of an alternative caf browser that doesn't have these problems?

Tuga. Use the current beta as the stable had a couple of issues.

this_guy

From the article:
There’s not many smartphone makers that couldn’t care less about declining smartphone sales, but Xiaomi makes its money from connected home devices and its software ecosystem. Smartphone sales are, of course, important to the company, but they are not a financial imperative as with most companies.

If Google only had some other lines of business where they could profit off of an increasing smartphone user base. As a consumer I'm more concerned about getting my money's worth than making sure my favorite company makes a high enough profit per device sold.

From the article:

If Google only had some other lines of business where they could profit off of an increasing smartphone user base. As a consumer I'm more concerned about getting my money's worth than making sure my favorite company makes a high enough profit per device sold.

I'm not saying I am concerned about Google not making a profit.

I am saying that people have unrealistic expectations. If Google is going to build a real hardware division it is going to be expected to be profitable.

Not that Google won't take a loss on the pixel because they probably will anyways this round.

bkw

Android newbie here. I've only used budget phone in the past, so looking to go closer to mid range now.

Assuming the price is similar, any thoughts between the Nextbit Robin and the DTEK50?

808 versus 617.

One thing that I do like about the blackberry is that it looks like it's sturdy. The robin is the opposite. I don't typically use cases on my phones. Specs seems to favour the robin.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well. It's done.

Got an Galaxy 7 Edge.

$400 BB gift card, which I used to buy an Nvidia shield TV box, and a case. Also got a 64gb SD micro for $15.

Will be able to trade in my iPhone6 and my bill will only go up $8 for 2 years.

edit:
Android TV doesn't support NHL TV. Comcast doesn't allow HBO go on android devices.

Back to Best Buy this thing goes in the morning. Too bad. Nvidia shield seemed like a nice device. But I'm not paying $200 for partial functionality. I can still do streaming though my PS3.

Saw this on Slickdeals. If you do not need the extra stuff that other websites are bundling with the Honor 8 than Jet.com is selling it for $230 with coupon code gma30. Available in all colors.

Hasney

Android newbie here. I've only used budget phone in the past, so looking to go closer to mid range now.

Assuming the price is similar, any thoughts between the Nextbit Robin and the DTEK50?

808 versus 617.

One thing that I do like about the blackberry is that it looks like it's sturdy. The robin is the opposite. I don't typically use cases on my phones. Specs seems to favour the robin.

617 is trash, Next bit Robin is such a good looking phone too.

Well. It's done.

Got an Galaxy 7 Edge.

$400 BB gift card, which I used to buy an Nvidia shield TV box, and a case. Also got a 64gb SD micro for $15.

Will be able to trade in my iPhone6 and my bill will only go up $8 for 2 years.

edit:
Android TV doesn't support NHL TV. Comcast doesn't allow HBO go on android devices.

Back to Best Buy this thing goes in the morning. Too bad. Nvidia shield seemed like a nice device. But I'm not paying $200 for partial functionality. I can still do streaming though my PS3.

Did you try side loading the app?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Did you try side loading the app?

Didn't. Once I learned Comcast pretty much screwed over Android users I just took it back. Sideloading would have worked for the NHL app, but I don't see how it would work for HBO, or other aps that won't even bring up a comcast login.

jm89

Bought a pair of sony headphones recently and every time i plug it in to my xperia z3(on marshmallow) it automatically activates do not disturb mode.

Shit is getting really annoying now as i have to always manually turn it back to silent/vibration mode. Any ideas how i can disable this?

And now the power button stops working if i have it plugged in wtf?

Hey guys. Im about to switch from s4 android to ios10

What are the big things that will suck? I already found out I cant make chrome or gmail default apps :/

Any other big surprises in store?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

What are the big things that will suck? I already found out I cant make chrome or gmail default apps :/

Why don't you ask in an iOS thread? Better responses.

Hasney

Didn't. Once I learned Comcast pretty much screwed over Android users I just took it back. Sideloading would have worked for the NHL app, but I don't see how it would work for HBO, or other aps that won't even bring up a comcast login.

I'm not in the US, but UK premium apps I've done that way with my Sony worked fine. Guess if it works off a cable provider login, you might have issues.

iOS 10 is a total disgrace

Gmail app is utter trash on iOS. On the bright side, web browsing with Safari is a billion times better than Chrome on Android.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, since Comcast has left a full fledged android player a no-go for now, what's the cheapest way to go about streaming from the phone to TV? Can a cheap $30 chromecast do it?

Jeffrey

So, since Comcast has left a full fledged android player a no-go for now, what's the cheapest way to go about streaming from the phone to TV? Can a cheap $30 chromecast do it?

googling seems like people have mixed results with it.

best option for hbo is just paying hbo go, or getting an amazon fire tv or roku?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
googling seems like people have mixed results with it.

best option for hbo is just paying hbo go, or getting an amazon fire tv or roku?

I'm just going to hang onto my apple TV. Does everything except Amazon Prime, which I can do on my PS3. I was hoping to get something to do everything. Now I just want something I can stream video from my phone to the TV with.

Your shield could have done it by streaming HBO Go from your Android or iOS phone. Android TV devices are also full fledged chromecasts. That's a shame Comcast is blocking HBO Go on Android TV. They aren't blocking it on Android so just cast away. Probably can do the same with the NHL app too.

Don't forget u can also side load any Android app onto the shield as well.

Shield can actually use Amazon Prime if you side load the Sony Android TV app btw. Unlike the Apple TV. I think your being too quick to judge the shield. Get chrome installed and a side load launcher installed. Your shield controller is a full fledged mouse that you can browse the web with to install any apk you want.

Priz

Got back from Japan/China yesterday... was going to backup then wipe/factory reset my HTC 10 over the weekend. System update this morning to bring it to 7/Nougat so I downloaded and installed that, backed everything up and factory reset.

Interesting changes, still getting used to them but happy with how snappy the performance is since I reset.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Your shield could have done it by streaming HBO Go from your Android or iOS phone. Android TV devices are also full fledged chromecasts. That's a shame Comcast is blocking HBO Go on Android TV. They aren't blocking it on Android so just cast away. Probably can do the same with the NHL app too.

Don't forget u can also side load any Android app onto the shield as well.

Shield can actually use Amazon Prime if you side load the Sony Android TV app btw. Unlike the Apple TV. I think your being too quick to judge the shield. Get chrome installed and a side load launcher installed. Your shield controller is a full fledged mouse that you can browse the web with to install any apk you want.

Well, I got that gift card. Maybe I will go give it another shot. It was a slick looking system.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Got back from Japan/China yesterday... was going to backup then wipe/factory reset my HTC 10 over the weekend. System update this morning to bring it to 7/Nougat so I downloaded and installed that, backed everything up and factory reset.

Interesting changes, still getting used to them but happy with how snappy the performance is since I reset.

I'm leaning towards the 10 now. I like my Axon but it's starting to annoy me with some random bugs, like it just turns my WiFi and data off for no reason. Then again, this could just be some app thing, Android is so insane that apps can go wild on the phone and you never know if it's hardware or software when things go wrong, and they always tend to go wrong a few months in for me.

reKon

Banned
I swear I keep seeing those Honor 8's going down in price more and more...

We're now seeing an average price of $240 from multiple sites (Newegg & Jet).

Makes me keep wondering if I should just go with this as my main phone until the end of next year...

Nahhhhh. Having a great camera in the S7 spoiled me

NEO0MJ

Managed to find a G4 Plus at another branch! Unfortunately the screen of my old phone cracked and now I have no idea how to best copy the data. Any tips?

Jeffrey

I swear I keep seeing those Honor 8's going down in price more and more...

We're now seeing an average price of $240 from multiple sites (Newegg & Jet).

Makes me keep wondering if I should just go with this as my main phone until the end of next year...

Nahhhhh. Having a great camera in the S7 spoiled me

Why downgrade from a S7?

reKon

Banned
Why downgrade from a S7?

uh so this was a trainwreck of a weekend:

- Lost my Galaxy S7 last night, doubtful that I'll be able to recover it as I'm sure some fucker in a Cab after me took it or the maybe cab driver themselves (I wish I wasn't so careless after drinking)

- I had actually ordered a Galaxy S7 Edge Int'l version from Swappa 3 weeks ago and USPS has seemed to lose track of the package. I'm going to try to figure out what sorting facility that it's stuck at put pressure on them to find my fucking package. Otherwise going to have to file a claim since it's insured and it will take even longer.

- If I don't recovery my S7, I essentially lose the $300 - $350 that I would have been able to sell it for.

- Since moving over 5 months ago, I STILL have not been able to find my back up phone, the Xperia Z3 Compact. I swear I've checked everywhere and it's nowhere to be found.

So yeah.. I think what I'll have to do is just buy that Moto G4 Play for $100 from Amazon and have this be my temp phone and eventually just a back up phone. The Xperia Z3 Compact doesn't have 12 band LTE, but the Moto G4 Play does so in the event I'm able to find it, I would have sadly have to sell my Z3 Compact (it was a fantastic phone - great performer, great battery life, and easy to hold).

Any thoughts? Is there some big sale on cheap Android phones that I should be aware of coming this week that's under $150 and would be a significantly better option?

Top Bottom