• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

GrapeApes

I swear I keep seeing those Honor 8's going down in price more and more...

We're now seeing an average price of $240 from multiple sites (Newegg & Jet).

Makes me keep wondering if I should just go with this as my main phone until the end of next year...

Nahhhhh. Having a great camera in the S7 spoiled me
Got it for 230 shipped. Not really that excited but couldn't resist the price. Size is a turnoff and I'm not sure about EMUI. I can always just use it as a daily driver or backup phone for the next year.

Can anyone tell me battery life for 6S Edge, and S6 Edge plus and 6S?

Curious how they stack to apple S6 Plus.

I feel like I can get used to the S6 but the smaller s6 edge yet bigger screen is appealing. Its really about the battery

reKon

Banned
Got it for 230 shipped. Not really that excited but couldn't resist the price. Size is a turnoff and I'm not sure about EMUI. I can always just use it as a daily driver or backup phone for the next year.

I'd toss nova over it and call it a day. That Nougat update that Jeffrey posted looks promising. I could buy this for $220 new from Jet.com. The only thing holding me back from getting this is the poor low light camera performance. I want whatever main phone I have to have a great camera. I think that's why I'm just going to opt to try to get another S7 Int'l version once I get my refund back for the one that USPS lost.

So far I gotta say that I'm very impressed with the G4 Play performance, especially when downloading and navigating the Google Music and Google Play store app. This tells me that Samsung really fucked up when trying to optimize the snapdragon version of this phone. I'm expecting the Exynos version to be much better in this regard.

Moreche

can't decide whether to go with a Chromecast (Audio) or SONOS
or Amazon Echo Dot

not sure where else we can talk about this
I have a chrome cast and echo and I prefer the ech purely because I get Amazon prime benefits on music and video. But I'll be honest that I use the echo for music and checking weather and traffic.
It has limited functionality but it does what I need from it.

So my gf's galaxy s5 finally died on her. She asked what are the best phones nowadays with great camera. I told her and showed some reviews about Iphone 7+, S7 edge and Pixel.
She really like the iphone but when I told her that the Iphone has no facebook chathead she seemed hesitant.
She also liked the pixel but it's not available here in our place. Fuck you googy.

RuGalz

can't decide whether to go with a Chromecast (Audio) or SONOS
or Amazon Echo Dot

not sure where else we can talk about this

chromecast audio if you want/need best audio quality - I have it hooked up via optical out to my main av setup and it sounds quite excellent with high quality output settings turned on. otherwise, it just depends on your usage case. Dot has other functions but it just doesn't sound that great.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Your shield could have done it by streaming HBO Go from your Android or iOS phone. Android TV devices are also full fledged chromecasts. That's a shame Comcast is blocking HBO Go on Android TV. They aren't blocking it on Android so just cast away. Probably can do the same with the NHL app too.

Don't forget u can also side load any Android app onto the shield as well.

Shield can actually use Amazon Prime if you side load the Sony Android TV app btw. Unlike the Apple TV. I think your being too quick to judge the shield. Get chrome installed and a side load launcher installed. Your shield controller is a full fledged mouse that you can browse the web with to install any apk you want.

Got the shield back, and am able to chromecast the NHL stuff. Now I need to figure out if I can get around the local blackout restrictions...

So my gf's galaxy s5 finally died on her. She asked what are the best phones nowadays with great camera. I told her and showed some reviews about Iphone 7+, S7 edge and Pixel.
She really like the iphone but when I told her that the Iphone has no facebook chathead she seemed hesitant.
She also liked the pixel but it's not available here in our place. Fuck you googy.

Wife and I switched to Google Fi and picked up the 6P. We wanted the Pixel but the 128GB is rarer than hen's teeth for less than a grand.

Despite my reticence of Chinese designed phones we are loving them. My wife, who is completely technology apathetic is having a great time with it so far. Not to humble brag, but this happened yesterday and i'm trying to figure out how it happened...

Screenshot_20161126_004735.png

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OK. In about 2 hours I think I might absolutely love my shield. I can log into NHL on my PC, and just stream it right to my TV. This is amazing. If this chrome blackout extension works and I can watch my avalanche game without fuss....

OK. In about 2 hours I think I might absolutely love my shield. I can log into NHL on my PC, and just stream it right to my TV. This is amazing. If this chrome blackout extension works and I can watch my avalanche game without fuss....

Been debating whether to lay down cash for a Shield, but i've recognized that my Nexus Player is basically a Netflix/HBO/Kodi box and that I don't think I would play games on it with the PS4 and 3DS within reach. OTOH, shiny!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well that's annoying.

The blackout blocker I got seems to work just fine. I can bring the game up on my browser. But If I steam it to the Shield, it pops up with the blackout notice.

edit: dumb as hell workaround. Cast the tab, not the video directly, and it works just fine. Looks pretty darn good.

Moreche

I thought no I've converted my wife from iOS to android. She was watching me place my S7 Edge on a wireless charger and for days now thought it was just a fancy stand.
But she was watching me yesterday use gestures on Nova such as double tap to turn off display and swipe up for app drawer but she said wouldn't it be great if she could do swipe up to access Facebook and I told her she can customise anything.
I can see her using her upgrade soon. We are now a chromcast, fire tv, echo household with only an iPad and Apple TV left.
If only android could sort its tablet situation out but I think my sons next item will be a chrome book.

NEO0MJ

The Moto is far more basic than any other Android phone I had. As in, there's very little manufacturer bloat. Guess I have to find the best apps for each function on my own.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Recommendation for media player apps for Andorid TV?

Had AirVideo on appleTV, and that just let me stream right from files on my PC.

VLC is my always goto for playing of common and odd formats. But what features do you want and need?

Kodi has been good, but it's a little too feature rich for just opening iso or mp4 videos.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I thought no I've converted my wife from iOS to android. She was watching me place my S7 Edge on a wireless charger and for days now thought it was just a fancy stand.
But she was watching me yesterday use gestures on Nova such as double tap to turn off display and swipe up for app drawer but she said wouldn't it be great if she could do swipe up to access Facebook and I told her she can customise anything.
I can see her using her upgrade soon. We are now a chromcast, fire tv, echo household with only an iPad and Apple TV left.
If only android could sort its tablet situation out but I think my sons next item will be a chrome book.
Lord Google is pleased!

Apparently 7.1.1 will be out officially for Nexus 6P on the 6th. Curious, for people who have used 7.1.1 on the 6P so far, are the battery issues from 7.0 fixed?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
My 5X is in an infinite boot loop now. Looking on reddit makes it seem like a very common issue. The 5X barely lasted me a year. I might switch to a Moto G4 now.

Donos

Any more impressions form HTC 10 ppl with nougat?

Update not out in Europe so far -_-. Looking forward. Almost nothing to complain with the 10 so far but i'm always happy when new updates arrive.

Since the Shield is a "power user" streaming device I would highly recommend you check out other communities for questions and/or tips and tricks. For some reason NeoGAF doesn't pay any attention to the Shield Android TV but it's thriving on Reddit, Google+ and AVS.

People are really knowledgeable about the shield and have lots of experience tinkering with things in those communities.

Edit: Here is a bunch for you if you are interested.

https://plus.google.com/communities/103510820500984874818

https://plus.google.com/communities/109694875004529508368

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...vidia-shield-console-htpc-discussion-117.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...-nvidia-shield-android-tv-set-top-box-41.html

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
^
Thanks. Will check out.

VLC is my always goto for playing of common and odd formats. But what features do you want and need?

Kodi has been good, but it's a little too feature rich for just opening iso or mp4 videos.

Ohh. That VLC thing is great. It automatically connects to the PS3 Media server app on my PC, so I don't have to do anything else.

Ohh. That VLC thing is great. It automatically connects to the PS3 Media server app on my PC, so I don't have to do anything else.

Cool! VLC is the Swiss Army knife of my AV toolbox. You don't want to rely on it to do everything, but it does a lot of things well enough without too many added headaches.

Keep us updated on your experience with the Shield, I still may pick one up next year in anticipation of getting a 4K tv.

Apparently 7.1.1 will be out officially for Nexus 6P on the 6th. Curious, for people who have used 7.1.1 on the 6P so far, are the battery issues from 7.0 fixed?

Being on Fi with the unlocked version, i'm sure i'll be first in line to get the update, but I definately plan to wait a week for the bugs to show themselves before I take the leap. After upgrading from the HTC One M8 HK variant i'm loving the battery on mine, but I know i'm in the minority. Hopefully 7.1 doesn't introduce too many new snags. Keep us up to date if you take the upgrade, I hope it's a smooth transition.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just ordered a Google Home for $75 and I already feel like a chump.

"OK Google, please don't abandon Home within six months."
Same. I don't trust Google but $75 is worth a risk. I don't even know what I'll use it for. Owners, any issues using your own account in a multiple person household? Privacy concerns?

My 5X is in an infinite boot loop now. Looking on reddit makes it seem like a very common issue. The 5X barely lasted me a year. I might switch to a Moto G4 now.
Haha they're all imploding at the same time. I wonder if my repaired one is actually repaired.

Same. I don't trust Google but $75 is worth a risk. I don't even know what I'll use it for. Owners, any issues using your own account in a multiple person household? Privacy concerns?

Haha they're all imploding at the same time. I wonder if my repaired one is actually repaired.

I said this in that Home thread. These hardware devices are coming from their new hardware division. Google has never marketed hardware like this before. Don't see them just dropping it like their old software ventures and developer toys.

Kind of a different situation now.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Did you have to send yours to LG?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I said this in that Home thread. These hardware devices are coming from their new hardware division. Google has never marketed hardware like this before. Don't see them just dropping it like their old software ventures and developer toys.

Kind of a different situation now.
I hope you're right but it's up to Google to earn the benefit of the doubt, now, after all their flubs.

Did you have to send yours to LG?
Yes.

Quixzlizx

I also ordered a Chromecast and a Harmony Hub this weekend, so I'm going to see if I can use IFTTT to do a bunch of cool voice-activated shit to control my HT.

Fox318

welp no I have the black screen of death on my lg g3.

it had a great run.

Shame that I can't seem to find a Pixel XL anywhere near me. fucking hell are they on backorder for a while

HawkeyeIC

Google screwed up with the Pixel XL. Couple people I know tried to buy them today but they are on backorder forever. Ended up with S7 edges

Google screwed up with the Pixel XL. Couple people I know tried to buy them today but they are on backorder forever. Ended up with S7 edges

First everyone said they wouldnt sell. Now they screwed up because they can't meet demand? Lol.

Apple is backed up too. Did they they screw the pooch as well?

Anyone know of any ways to check for the cheapest price for a V20 now? Issue seems to be most aren't CDMA/Verizon ready.

You cannot be serious. Every LG is going to shit. Not to mention the terrible software.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cool! VLC is the Swiss Army knife of my AV toolbox. You don't want to rely on it to do everything, but it does a lot of things well enough without too many added headaches.

Keep us updated on your experience with the Shield, I still may pick one up next year in anticipation of getting a 4K tv.

Well, I already feel like a fool for returning the first one rather than trying things out.

So far the only glitch I ran into is NFL Sunday Ticket. They have tiered subscription service, with mobile streaming being extra than normal streaming. They don't have a normal App for Android TV. I did my first side-load (super easy), and it loaded fine, but I can't login because it's the android app and my subscription doesn't cover that.

Not a bit deal. I can watch Sunday Ticket via my PS3, which I will keep for the bluRay player anyways.

Watched a few videos via the VLC thing, and so far, so good.

I can already tell it's a beefy machine, with bells and whistles I might never use. Sure I could get all this from a cheaper machine, but I won't even look for one. I like this, it works with my Harmony Remote, the NHL revelation last night with chromecast from my PC sold me.

Hi, everyone here! As an owner of a brand new Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and a free Gear VR, are there any apps and games I should pay attention to? Finally went Android after my Nokia Lumia 930 died out of nowhere last weekend.

Amazon has the Moto Z unlocked for $500 if anyone wants to dabble in the no headphones/moto mods space.

They also have the Axon 7 for $320 with instant rebate. Best Buy has it for $350 with a $30 gift card.

Dobsie

Have been getting the dreaded battery dies at 20% on my 6p recently. Thought I'd chance calling google to get it RMA'd even though I bought it 2nd hand off of gumtree, he checked the IMEI and apparently it was bought from the google store so had no problem with RMA'ing it for me.
Tempted to sell the new one and pick up something else, 6p or oneplus 3t or something else?

Have been getting the dreaded battery dies at 20% on my 6p recently. Thought I'd chance calling google to get it RMA'd even though I bought it 2nd hand off of gumtree, he checked the IMEI and apparently it was bought from the google store so had no problem with RMA'ing it for me.
Tempted to sell the new one and pick up something else, 6p or oneplus 3t or something else?

Mine dies at 15%. Is it really a bad battery or just straight up poor optimization with Nougat?

Dobsie

Mine dies at 15%. Is it really a bad battery or just straight up poor optimization with Nougat?

Mine's been happening randomly, put it on charge when I got home from work for 15 mins and it charged upto 28%, now running it down to 0 to do a full charge and see what capacity of the battery remains. currently on 8% so seems very random.
Have read about people experiencing it on MM too so sounds like its just a bad battery. I'd RMA it if you can.

Top Bottom