• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Neither. The Snapdragon 810 just wants to fill its belly one last time and gulps down the last portion of your battery.

I literally had no issues like this with Marshmallow. Only when Nougat came around.

Mine's been happening randomly, put it on charge when I got home from work for 15 mins and it charged upto 28%, now running it down to 0 to do a full charge and see what capacity of the battery remains. currently on 8% so seems very random.
Have read about people experiencing it on MM too so sounds like its just a bad battery. I'd RMA it if you can.

Mine will almost always switch off at 15%. From what I can tell, basically without fail.

Drifters

Apparently 7.1.1 will be out officially for Nexus 6P on the 6th. Curious, for people who have used 7.1.1 on the 6P so far, are the battery issues from 7.0 fixed?
No. Random wake locks still and Bluetooth has been shittastic. I'm going to upgrade to 7.1.1 and factory reset with the hope that it fixes the problems.

My 2014 Moto X is randomly dying between 40-45% now. It's definitely on its last legs. Moto Z Play (or OP3T) to the shopping list, I think.

Weird, my son's 2013 Moto X is still working perfectly, other than the random static coming out of the speaker. That phone is a beast, and we've seen no battery issues.

RuGalz

No. Random wake locks still and Bluetooth has been shittastic. I'm going to upgrade to 7.1.1 and factory reset with the hope that it fixes the problems.

Also don't restore from previous setup, redownload everything from Google Play manually. I didn't have issues after that on Nougat.

Jeffrey

Let's just hope pixel doesn't run into similar problems.

Always feel like nexus updates felt like beta patches even for their stable releases lol.

Moreche

Is it okay to use one of the Samsung package disablers on the play stor e to get rid of bloat or should I leave them alone?
Thanks.

HeySeuss

Mine dies at 15%. Is it really a bad battery or just straight up poor optimization with Nougat?

My droid turbo did that at 10% when I had the battery saver turned on once it hit 15%. Without the battery saver it would drain completely down. I just assumed it was a built in safety thing so you had just enough for an emergency call.

Quixzlizx

If I currently have a Blu Life One X, would a $99 Moto G Play be a worthy upgrade for now? Or are they about the same performance-wise?

my pixel c is still going strong... and that's with mixed use between me and my 2-3 year old daughter (when her ipad mini battery dies out from a constant stream of youtube kids).

glad i got the smaller memory. i don't usually put too much on tablet storage but for some reason i always buy the most expensive version. love it with the keyboard. though it's really not for any type of work use. matter of fact i'll almost never get used to it.

keep wondering why the damned on screen keyboard never pops up until i remember, oh yeah, cuz the keyboard.

not buying another android tablet though. waiting for a really nice 360 degree chromebook. maybe one that looks sort of like an hp spectre. hopefully google makes a new pixel that keeps the pixel styling but goes 360. that's the only tablet replacement for me.

although my daughter dumped her cousin's nexus 7 2013 into dishwater lol. man her cuz was salty. we ended up buying her a galaxy tab a 7" the next morning to replace it. i'd say she came up cuz we got her a 64gb micro sd so she will never run out of space for her games again.... that nexus was starting to get super slow on her. so in essence my daughter was just doing her a favor. ;)

my pixel c is still going strong... and that's with mixed use between me and my 2-3 year old daughter (when her ipad mini battery dies out from a constant stream of youtube kids).

glad i got the smaller memory. i don't usually put too much on tablet storage but for some reason i always buy the most expensive version. love it with the keyboard. though it's really not for any type of work use. matter of fact i'll almost never get used to it.

keep wondering why the damned on screen keyboard never pops up until i remember, oh yeah, cuz the keyboard.

not buying another android tablet though. waiting for a really nice 360 degree chromebook. maybe one that looks sort of like an hp spectre. hopefully google makes a new pixel that keeps the pixel styling but goes 360. that's the only tablet replacement for me.

although my daughter dumped her cousin's nexus 7 2013 into dishwater lol. man her cuz was salty. we ended up buying her a galaxy tab a 7" the next morning to replace it. i'd say she came up cuz we got her a 64gb micro sd so she will never run out of space for her games again.... that nexus was starting to get super slow on her. so in essence my daughter was just doing her a favor. ;)

Pixel C is an awesome tablet. Very annoying Google rushed it's launch and people just assume there are no great Android tablets.

Really hope Google does a new pixel tablet and Android TV streamer this spring instead of or in addition to the new watches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnn_huKDyEI

so much for google having some secret sauce.

Although op3 wasn't a slouch either.

They really do need to get that camera better for op4 and up their updates game and then oneplus will really live up to 'never settle'.

The op3 is very impressive but it has many advantages that help it push past the Google software magic in the XL. I mean it states it right in the video.

- Lower res screen
- Higher clocked CPU
- Faster flash
- Older but much lighter operating system when it comes to performance.

I bet the pixel crushes the op3 once the one plus gets Nougat. Even with the hardware differences.

mclem

So, here's a question. Not sure if it belongs here or in a more general computer chat thread, but I'll start here and see where it goes.

I'm going to be at my parents' over Christmas, and they're not in the UK. I'd like to keep up with The Grand Tour, but the region differences are likely to mean that I won't be able to access the UK's Amazon Prime from there. I *do* have an SSH tunnel I can use to the UK on my laptop, but that's likely to be too slow a connection to watch over. I *can* download episodes to my Android devices, but it appears they don't allow it to a PC.

So: Is there a way I can - without root access - get my Android devices to connect (through my Laptop if necessary) all key traffic through the SSH tunnel so it is, for all intents and purposes, in the UK?

Ultimate goal: Connect to Amazon Video on my tablet, download the episode overnight (slowly), then watch it the following day via a Chromecast.

Feasible? I have a strong impression it *ought* to be, but I'm struggling to figure out how to bridge the gap between my Android device and the SSH tunnel.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lenovo finally releasing a Snap 430 phone over in Asia. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

The 17 Moto low end line would be killer with a spec bump from the 410 to the 430.

TTOOLL

It's incredible how inconsistent signal eats battery. I'm in a very unstable 3g signal the whole morning and the device is getting frequently hot trying to keep the connection. I have to enable and disable data manually to get it working.

It's incredible how inconsistent signal eats battery. I'm in a very unstable 3g signal the whole morning and the device is getting frequently hot trying to keep the connection. I have to enable and disable data manually to get it working.

3G is a battery whore on Verizon.

hitgirl

Anyone got a rec for a desk stand / holder for my Nexus 5X? I just essentially want a small piece of silicone that I can push my phone into in portrait mode to watch Youtube while i work.

Dobsie

What are people's thoughts on 6P v OP3T? I have the chance to sell the 6p for pretty much what I bought it for and I'm tempted to upgrade to the OP3T for only a little bit more cash.
Priorities are stock-ish interface, longevity of support (I like flashing custom ROMs anyway), battery life.

So, here's a question. Not sure if it belongs here or in a more general computer chat thread, but I'll start here and see where it goes.

I'm going to be at my parents' over Christmas, and they're not in the UK. I'd like to keep up with The Grand Tour, but the region differences are likely to mean that I won't be able to access the UK's Amazon Prime from there. I *do* have an SSH tunnel I can use to the UK on my laptop, but that's likely to be too slow a connection to watch over. I *can* download episodes to my Android devices, but it appears they don't allow it to a PC.

So: Is there a way I can - without root access - get my Android devices to connect (through my Laptop if necessary) all key traffic through the SSH tunnel so it is, for all intents and purposes, in the UK?

Ultimate goal: Connect to Amazon Video on my tablet, download the episode overnight (slowly), then watch it the following day via a Chromecast.

Feasible? I have a strong impression it *ought* to be, but I'm struggling to figure out how to bridge the gap between my Android device and the SSH tunnel.

Virtual Router to create a reverse Hotspot to your tablet. That's where I would start

http://mashable.com/2015/08/18/windows-10-wi-fi-router/

Woorloog

Banned
I need ebook reader app with left-hand mode (touching left turns pages forward) and no ads. Are there any? I've tried three popular ones but every one lacked that feature.

On my old Lumia there i had a ebook app that allowed this... Heck, it had quick-switch for handedness. Was great but i can't recall the name nor am i sure it is even available for Android.
EDIT Looks like it was Tucan Reader it seems, and it doesn't have Android version. Sigh...

I need ebook reader app with left-hand mode (touching left turns pages forward) and no ads. Are there any? I've tried three popular ones but every one lacked that feature.

On my old Lumia there i had a ebook app that allowed this... Heck, it had quick-switch for handedness. Was great but i can't recall the name nor am i sure it is even available for Android.
EDIT Looks like it was Tucan Reader it seems, and it doesn't have Android version. Sigh...

You can force Right-to-Left layout mode at the Administrator level. Try that first to see if the app responds in-kind

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-...ds-layout-better-for-left-handed-use-0159391/

Woorloog

Banned
You can force Right-to-Left layout mode at the Administrator level. Try that first to see if the app responds in-kind

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-...ds-layout-better-for-left-handed-use-0159391/
I'm not interested in left-hand mode for the whole phone, just ebooks. I'm right-handed actually, i just often read ebooks with phone in left hand but i may switch hands occasionally so a quick option would be appreciated.
Switching the whole phone is not "quick".

Edit: besides, it seems the right-to-left mode doesn't even work for this phone, found an app that offers it within the app...

Basically I need an app that allows defining what different touch locations do.

Quasar

Got my Google Home to finally ship out to me in Australia. Hopefully I don't have too many hassles getting it to work in Australia.

Quasar

can't decide whether to go with a Chromecast (Audio) or SONOS
or Amazon Echo Dot

not sure where else we can talk about this

Certainly I went with a Chromecast Audio. Works great. A shit ton cheaper than a Sonos (and probably has access to more services - well aside from Apple ones as Apple Music does not support google cast).

Guess it depends on what hardware you currently have and what services you use. I don't use any Amazon ones so I never was interested in Amazon hardware options.

Mine01

Sup guys im looking for a new phone since my moto x died, looking for mainly 2 requeriments, metal body and vr (light), what would be good phones that fit that criteria?? thx in advance!

Jeffrey

Sup guys im looking for a new phone since my moto x died, looking for mainly 2 requeriments, metal body and vr (light), what would be good phones that fit that criteria?? thx in advance!

what do you mean by vr?

axon 7 will support daydream VR whenever they get nougat, and that has metal body.

So does pixel kinda.

If you're on Verizon the Moto Z and Z Force already have 7.0 Daydream. Pretty sure they're on sale from like Best Buy right now.

Debating between picking up a S7Edge and a OP 3T for my dad.

What's the biggest advantage that the 7Edge has over the OP aside from wireless charging and waterproofing (two things that would be irrelevant for my pops).

Asgaro

Snapchat now educating folks about cancer. Testicular cancer in this case.
What a time to be alive.

Check out the full story. But here the most important ones.
Doing my part by spreading these :)

MYd4Odf.png

Jeffrey

open beta 8 (nougat) is out for oneplus 3, but not OP3T lol.

Seems like a pretty stable build. clean flash to get it to format at F2FS which boosts app cold open times by quite a bit.

Top Bottom