• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

A month later and my SMS still havent backed up to Google's servers from my pixel...wonder why :S

Hell my pixel C doesn't even keep a backup of apps on it every time I've reset it there's no pixel C on the device list.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Google are pushing the Pixel pretty hard. Seeing ads everywhere, online and in public spaces.

1) profit analysis based on expectation

2) % increase, no actual numbers

3) not even a sales article

Im aware but the high sales cannot be denied. Raw numbers from Google may never even come for all we know. These articles don't exist when sales aren't great.

The third article was just for fun since it applies to half the people in here that only look at statistics instead of usability, etc.

At this point I don't see why anyone would say anything other than the pixel is selling well. Unless you want to be that same type of person that was saying the battery life was going to suck on the ~2700 mah regular pixel. Remember that?

low sales cannot be denied either.

i can pull links for 'Nexus increases Huawei/HTC/LG sales' etc if you really really want.

GSMArena said:
The Google Pixel's battery life is about in-line with the iPhone 7 which scored 61h in our endurance tests. However, that's nothing close to the 80h that the Exynos version of the Galaxy S7 yielded. Although it had a slightly larger, higher res display, and a slightly larger 3,000 mAh battery, the Exynos chip proved to be far more power-efficient than the Snapdragon 820-powered alternative.

TechRadar said:
The Google Pixel battery life is nothing special. If you’re careful with your usage you’ll get a full day out of the phone, but we found that given moderate use a mid-evening charge was required to ensure we made it to bedtime without a flat battery.

the really disturbing thing is just how many reviews mention good battery life with the caveat that they only had the Pixel XL.

low sales cannot be denied either.

i can pull links for 'Nexus increases Huawei/HTC/LG sales' etc if you really really want.

the really disturbing thing is just how many reviews mention good battery life with the caveat that they only had the Pixel XL.

Pull the links. I have never seen Nexus articles saying numbers are into the millions like the Pixel.

I have the Pixel and I used to also have the XL. The battery life on the regular Pixel is fantastic. The phone flatlines over night and users anywhere from 0 - 3 percent battery. I am not shitting you. Some overnights it does not even drop 1 percent off charger.

I get 4 - 4.5 hours screen on time and 1.5 days of battery no sweat. Sometimes more. All with a battery roughly the same size as the 5x and a decent amount smaller than the S7, etc. Standby doze is similar to iPhone as long as you don't have some shit app mucking you up. Active doze is still behind Apple.

Sales, performance, battery, camera everything is looking damn near perfect for the Pixel except one thing. You will be glad to know some bad is coming very soon. There is one thing that most do not know about yet and it could be very bad for Google. Devices are bricking and cannot be powered on. It's happening and popping up fast. In fact it happened to my regular pixel and I had to have it replaced already.

this_guy

Sales, performance, battery, camera everything is looking damn near perfect for the Pixel except one thing. You will be glad to know some bad is coming very soon. There is one thing that most do not know about yet and it could be very bad for Google. Devices are bricking and cannot be powered on. It's happening and popping up fast. In fact it happened to my regular pixel and I had to have it replaced already.

LGs at least wait a year before they start bootlooping. Hopefully Google figures it out fast.

clav

With so many bricking and boot loops I wonder if there is something going on at the Linux Kernel level.

Probably something with the quality of the flash memory storage on the device or other hardware issue.

Someone screwed up on QA/QC.

Product was rushed to market.

I'm wondering whatever I should buy a unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, or Pre-order the Galaxy S8?

Hopefully Samsung will follow up with an unlocked model for that too.

Probably something with the quality of the flash memory storage on the device or other hardware issue.

Flash sounds possible. I don't think it's os related because it becomes dead dead. No power at all. I'm wondering if daydream sessions are frying the phones. Mine happened about 12 hours after daydream usage.

If the snapdragon is overheating from daydream it would be a little better since most purchases won't end up doing any VR. They could also improve with otas. Im totally guessing though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why did you switch from the XL? I need to make a decision for my next phone. Normal or XL. Battery life is my main concern.

TTOOLL

I'm looking at getting a new android next month but I'm undecided. It's either Pixel or Galaxy S7.

I have a S7 and highly recommend it. Great performance, great screen, great battery life, best in class camera, waterproof, great build quality. Seriously, I have yet to see any flaws on this device or something I wish it had. It's probably cheaper than the pixel now and I believe they are giving a free Gear VR for holidays. You just can't beat the value.

Ps:I got a Gear VR for free buying mine but I don't live in the US.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's not just the Pixel though. Look at all the other Android phones like the G4 or 5X that also have this problem.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 5X back repaired. They replaced the flash memory. They also fucked up the back with a blue ink stain. Incompetent. Don't people take pride in their work?

Why did you switch from the XL? I need to make a decision for my next phone. Normal or XL. Battery life is my main concern.

Honestly, I kinda regret it already. Especially after seeing the VR differences. The standby is just insanely good on the XL as well. Even though the regular Pixel will most likely have better battery life than your 6p.

I got tired of holding a large phone for long periods. I also like to bike to wirk and just throw my phone in my pocket. I felt like with the XL you have to think about the phone too much when moving around.

I will probably go XL next year unless Google increases the base size of the Pixel 2.

mackattk

I need ebook reader app with left-hand mode (touching left turns pages forward) and no ads. Are there any? I've tried three popular ones but every one lacked that feature.

On my old Lumia there i had a ebook app that allowed this... Heck, it had quick-switch for handedness. Was great but i can't recall the name nor am i sure it is even available for Android.
EDIT Looks like it was Tucan Reader it seems, and it doesn't have Android version. Sigh...

Have you tried Moonreader out? It is extremely customizable and you can easily change to where taps on the left side of the screen advances a page. You might have to buy the pro version for the no ads, but it is well worth the money.

Regardless, I haven't seen rarity like this from an electronic device in some time

This is reaching Nintendo levels of silliness

Dude it's HTC too. When was the last time they needed to pump out this many devices? It's not like Google can just say here's another million bucks to HTC. Let's have another factory open tomorrow.

Nintendo has historical sales at least. Google has never advertised/launched a phone like this before. Apple can't even get it right and it's round 9. How do you expect Google to for round one?

Thanks for reminding me of the memories of scrambling to buy new Nintendo systems. Gonna be exciting times when the Switch drops.

clav

It's not just the Pixel though. Look at all the other Android phones like the G4 or 5X that also have this problem.

LG has a sad reputation of boot looping phones. These problematic phones could all have the same issue.

Flash sounds possible. I don't think it's os related because it becomes dead dead. No power at all. I'm wondering if daydream sessions are frying the phones. Mine happened about 12 hours after daydream usage.

If the snapdragon is overheating from daydream it would be a little better since most purchases won't end up doing any VR. They could also improve with otas. Im totally guessing though.

Maybe heat is affecting the quality of the SSD (+ controller). I remember with SATA Hard Drives, Sandforce had a terrible reputation because it was likely to brick drives. Let's take a deeper look now that you mentioned heat.

Engineers are encouraged to stuff ICs on the smallest possible space to save costs, so both sides of boards are used in a nanoelectronic scenario (compared to analog circuits). What I learned from school, usually in analog circuits, using both sides of the board is not recommended due to troubleshooting + especially during prototyping.

Borrowing the Pixel XL Ifixit photos, we see:

IsPWUv2.jpg

Red outlined box - 32GB Flash Storage

F8V0ibL.jpg

Red outlined box - SD 821 with 4GB LPDDR4 RAM

Orange outlined boxes - Qualcomm QC 3.0 + Power Management IC (unclear which one is which in pics)

Cyan outlined box - wifi chip

Combining two pics in the same orientation using my shitty photoshop transparency skills:

lPHeT4d.jpg

If the SoC heats up under any activity, part of the flash storage gets affected.

Also notice Qualcomm QC 3.0 chip/power IC and wi-fi chip are also directly under the storage.

Combination of all three would burn out the storage over time.

I guess after looking at these pictures, I would definitely not use quick charge on a Pixel phone.

edit: To be fair, overlapping ICs on each other is not bad design as PCB etching/traces are very expensive and wasteful to draw lines all over the place. Chips have to be connected somehow. What's concerning is QuickCharge known to heat up under high current.

I have a S7 and highly recommend it. Great performance, great screen, great battery life, best in class camera, waterproof, great build quality. Seriously, I have yet to see any flaws on this device or something I wish it had. It's probably cheaper than the pixel now and I believe they are giving a free Gear VR for holidays. You just can't beat the value.

Ps:I got a Gear VR for free buying mine but I don't live in the US.
But doesn't the screen suffer from burn-in? If only there was an option to choose a 720p LCD screen to get more performance/battery life. I wouldn't mind.

Jeffrey

s8 should be early next year, so if you can wait, just wait.

I'm predicting the more efficient sd 835 should make next year's phones a fair amount better on the battery, unless companies decide to make the phones even thinner...

But it does seem like people are more vocal about battery for phones now, so hopefully companies listen.

The day when you can have flagship specs that last you 2 days of power use would be a good time.

reKon

Banned
But doesn't the screen suffer from burn-in? If only there was an option to choose a 720p LCD screen to get more performance/battery life. I wouldn't mind.

1) It won't suffer from typical use. You would have to leave the display on bright for 8 hours a day on a high contrast static image to get burn in.

2) The S7 series gets the same or better battery life than most 720P phones, especially the versions that use the Exynos chipset.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The day when you can have flagship specs that last you 2 days of power use would be a good time.

Interestingly I am getting 2 days worth out of a Moto Z with the Incipio off-grid pack. The phone itself is too thin and clearly designed to be used with a case or back or mod of some sort. The edges are sharp, it's slippery and too thin and light for its size.

Add the battery pack and it adds both thickness and weight as well being grippy. It's the right size and thickness even in suit pants. And in about 10 days so far I have been getting 6+ hours of SOT and 2 days of regular use. It really reinforces to me that manufacturers should stop chasing thinness and go for a well weight to size balanced phone with a solid battery instead.

I like bottom tab bars but they look ridiculous on Android.

Having all these bottom bars stacked on top of each other looks dumb:
  • Navigation bar / Soft buttons
  • Bottom tabs in Spotify
  • Now Playing bar
  • Recommended songs bar

Jeffrey

Interestingly I am getting 2 days worth out of a Moto Z with the Incipio off-grid pack. The phone itself is too thin and clearly designed to be used with a case or back or mod of some sort. The edges are sharp, it's slippery and too thin and light for its size.

Add the battery pack and it adds both thickness and weight as well being grippy. It's the right size and thickness even in suit pants. And in about 10 days so far I have been getting 6+ hours of SOT and 2 days of regular use. It really reinforces to me that manufacturers should stop chasing thinness and go for a well weight to size balanced phone with a solid battery instead.

yeah the one downside of getting cheap chinese phones is the lack of accessories.

I still love the battery case I have for my 6s+, great when you are out and about away from chargers.

TTOOLL

I like bottom tab bars but they look ridiculous on Android.

Having all these bottom bars stacked on top of each other looks dumb:
  • Navigation bar / Soft buttons
  • Bottom tabs in Spotify
  • Now Playing bar

They are necessary on big phones. I'm glad the S7 doesn't have the terrible software buttons. Who thought that is a good ideia?

clav

I thought hardware navigation buttons were a must until I tried a phone that doesn't have them.

Makes full-screen experience a lot nicer for games and videos.

Also don't have to worry about people hitting the wrong button when sharing a phone's photos/videos.

Hasney

They are necessary on big phones. I'm glad the S7 doesn't have the terrible software buttons. Who thought that is a good ideia?

They are a good idea. Less bezel required and they can get out of my way when a video is playing. I'd probably never buy a phone without them because it's wasted space and the only thing I want on my bezels now are front facing speakers.

TTOOLL

They are a good idea. Less bezel required and they can get out of my way when a video is playing. I'd probably never buy a phone without them because it's wasted space and the only thing I want on my bezels now are front facing speakers.

That's debatable. The Pixel has software buttons and a much bigger chin that the S7 with hardware buttons and fingerprint sensor. Think about it, hardware buttons are never on you way, they don't steal screen space.

reKon

Banned
Is the One Plus 3T (128GB) the best phone within it's price category?

I was looking into this yesterday and it may actually be. Highly optimized SD 821 with a relatively large amount of RAM, good screen, good battery life, and high storage capaity, good software, and a very nice premium design for that price..

reKon

Banned
honestly might be the 'best' phone overall depending on how important camera and quick updates is to you.

IMO that award still goes to the Exynos Galaxy S7 Edge, which I've just ordered off Swappa new for $500. The unlocked version doesn't have any bloatware and Exynos version doesn't stutter like the SD version because the actual chip is optimized for that phone.

Hopefully there's no shipping issues this time around.

Jeffrey

IMO that award still goes to the Exynos Galaxy S7 Edge, which I've just ordered off Swappa new for $500.

Hopefully there's no shipping issues this time around.

no US warranty (I think?) although you can get android pay if you flash like a german rom on it.

I just couldn't get used to the curve screen even after 2 weeks using an office one.

reKon

Banned
no US warranty (I think?) although you can get android pay if you flash like a german rom on it.

I just couldn't get used to the curve screen even after 2 weeks using an office one.

I think Samsung Pay works if you flash to proper region like the UK CSC, which is getting Samsung Pay next year

I also think that you get a an Int'l warranty. I had issues with the magnetic charging port on my old Xperia Z3 Compact and when I called Sony, they said I would need to send it to the UK...

What they ended up doing it was to send to TX and I got it serviced with no cost. I got the phone back in three business days.

Jeffrey

I think Samsung Pay works if you flash to proper region like the UK CSC, which is getting Samsung Pay next year

I also think that you get a an Int'l warranty. I had issues with the magnetic charging port on my old Xperia Z3 Compact and when I called Sony, they said I would need to send it to the UK...

What they ended up doing it was to send to TX and I got it serviced with no cost. I got the phone back in three business days.

oops mean samsung. Not familiar with samsung on that aspect though about warranty?

reKon

Banned
Based on my experience with Moto G notifications, I love the way that they handle lock screen notifications. It's brilliant. I like being able to slide from one icon to another and see nearly the full message for each app.

Is there are way to get the exact same thing on an S7? I don't want an all day display type thing on cause I don't need it.

Hasney

That's debatable. The Pixel has software buttons and a much bigger chin that the S7 with hardware buttons and fingerprint sensor. Think about it, hardware buttons are never on you way, they don't steal screen space.

Well, yeah. But that's just bad design. You couldn't fit hardware buttons on the Nexus 6 and that was just the best. If we get rid of one of the chins entirely which some phones are close to doing, I could get a 6.5" screen and still use it one handed. I can't wait.

I mean, look at that sexy beast. China can have all the pictures of my dick it wants.

Jeffrey

A chin can help with the balance of the phone, but yeah its nice to have something down there, even design wise than just a 'chin'.

There is a still a benefit for onscreen buttons though, I do tend to accidentally hit the capacitive buttons easier on oneplus phones.

Top Bottom