• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are you trying to avoid Nova for some reason? They basically had feature parity for a long time, but Nova is still updating frequently and is still outstanding.

This.

No reason to use Apex over Nova at this juncture. If you just want something quick and easy without the extra functionality there is the Google Launcher as well.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Guys I need help, I thought this would be pretty easy...

Looking for the stock/oem/genuine LG Fast Type C charger for my wife's Nexus 5x. I can't tell what's real life any longer on Amazon.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Looking for the stock/oem/genuine LG Fast Type C charger for my wife's Nexus 5x. I can't tell what's real life any longer on Amazon.

Google has chargers on their store and free shipping. I'd go with that if you are worried.

abracadaver

Are you trying to avoid Nova for some reason? They basically had feature parity for a long time, but Nova is still updating frequently and is still outstanding.

No, but I bought the Pro version of Apex back in the day.

So I better use Nova now? I still have enough credits from google opinion rewards to just get the pro version of Nova. Will check it out tonight

velociraptor

honestly might be the 'best' phone overall depending on how important camera and quick updates is to you.
Well as long as the camera is 'half-decent' then I don't particularly mind.

I've placed an order but I'm amazed that the estimated shipping date is December 28. WTF!

What's the point in announcing the phone on this date if they won't ship it until end of the month?

RuGalz

Check this for compatibility/safety https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/edit#gid=0

Some of them are listed as NOT approved but if you follow the Proof link it may say something like "the updated version fixed the problem". Since some products are not listed separately on Amazon you still have to weed through the list.

Asgaro

Nova is so good. I use it pretty much exclusively.

It's good. But so is Action Launcher!
The latest Beta seems to add multiple dock pages: the only feature I was missing compared to Nova Launcher.

Also, a tip for fellow Action Launcher users: a swipe-up on the app drawer icon seems to open the app drawer while immediately having the cursor inside the search box at the top. No need to do an extra click in that box.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wow 1Password really sucks on Android compared to iOS. And here I thought the openness of Android would have made it an easier process.
Some developers end up focusing on the ecosystem where they have market share. It's evident in a number of apps that in Android have weird bottom bars, back buttons and such. Lastpass on Android is excellent so it's very doable.

Some developers end up focusing on the ecosystem where they have market share. It's evident in a number of apps that in Android have weird bottom bars, back buttons and such. Lastpass on Android is excellent so it's very doable.

LastPass with the fingerprint scanner on my 6P has made me use LP much more often. Before, having to use my master password was kinda a PITA, but now it's super easy and a dozen less keystrokes.

1) It won't suffer from typical use. You would have to leave the display on bright for 8 hours a day on a high contrast static image to get burn in.

2) The S7 series gets the same or better battery life than most 720P phones, especially the versions that use the Exynos chipset.
Okay, that's assuring on burn-in.
But for 720, wouldn't it get more battery life? It's like, why did laptops have to keep getting thinner if they could fit a bigger battery in there?

Jeffrey

But for 720, wouldn't it get more battery life? It's like, why did laptops have to keep getting thinner if they could fit a bigger battery in there?

I don't think resolution is that huge factor in battery drain/ day to day performance these days.

There is a 'battery saver' mode too that lowers resolution if you want.

the higher resolution is a big benefit for things like photos and videos and text, especially in some Asian languages where the increased resolution significantly increases readability. it's also better for VR.

they could have even better battery life with no screen at all! and no speakers! and no gps/wifi/bt/cellular module!

AndyD

aka andydumi
LastPass with the fingerprint scanner on my 6P has made me use LP much more often. Before, having to use my master password was kinda a PITA, but now it's super easy and a dozen less keystrokes.

Indeed. The fingerprint authorization is incredibly easy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If only it easily worked with non-Chrome browsers. Although I might need to go back to Chrome since RS is dead.

Quasar

And Lastpass on Android integrating with apps made it a no brainer for me. That always was the biggest problem I have and still have with it on iOS. I started paying just for that feature.

Quasar

My Google Home arrived a little while ago. Only took 4 days to get to me from the US to Australia.

Only had enough time to plug it in and set it up, but it seems to work pretty well for me being outside the US. The only noticable thing is the whole 'read me the news' feature is linked to US news sources. Though it does at lest include some BBC world stuff so I can get something less US centric.

Looking forward to playing more when I get time this afternoon.

My Google Home arrived a little while ago. Only took 4 takes to get to me from the US to Australia.

Only had enough time to plug it in and set it up, but it seems to work pretty well for me being outside the US. The only noticable thing is the whole 'read me the news' feature is linked to US news sources. Though it does at lest include some BBC world stuff so I can get something less US centric.

Looking forward to playing more when I get time this afternoon.

Mine just delivered too. Telling what to play, stop or pause on my Chromecast and Shield TV is pretty sick.

I was also very impressed when I was adding things to the shopping list and both mine and my girlfriend Google keep list would automatically update on our phones.

Cool stuff

Quasar

Mine just delivered too. Telling what to play, stop or pause on my Chromecast and Shield TV is pretty sick.

I was also very impressed when I was adding things to the shopping list and both mine and my girlfriend Google keep list would automatically update on our phones.

Cool stuff

One thing I've noticed is that I seemingl cannot get it to play albums from my google play music that I uploaded. I uploaded a bunch of audiobooks, but when I try 'play <album> by <author>' it fails to find em. Not sure why.

I also cannot cast from the Home to my LG MusicFlow Speaker, which has googlecast. Dunno if the speaker needs an upgrade of its googlecast support or what.

Quixzlizx

One thing I've noticed is that I seemingl cannot get it to play albums from my google play music that I uploaded. I uploaded a bunch of audiobooks, but when I try 'play <album> by <author>' it fails to find em. Not sure why.

I also cannot cast from the Home to my LG MusicFlow Speaker, which has googlecast. Dunno if the speaker needs an upgrade of its googlecast support or what.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7030379?utm_source=email-100044594-en-us-&utm_medium=email&utm_content=user&utm_campaign=10022736&utm_content=Advanced_Voice_Commands#advancedcommands

Currently, you can't directly play uploaded or purchased Google Play Music content on Google Home. However, you can add your uploaded and purchased content to a playlist and play that playlist using the "Hey Google, play <name> playlist" voice command.

Damn when did gReader get so bad? Shit is auto playing YouTube videos and readability mode is completely broken. Guess it's another abandoned RSS reader now?

magawolaz

So I just got a Moto G4 Play for cheap, I'm very impressed. Been using a shitty LG LS II for the past three years, it's so good to finally have a snappy phone.

What are the essential apps/things to download/do? Also is there a way to have the old drop down menu (like, having quick settings+notifications in the same screen, without having to swipe down twice or using two fingers)?

My Nexus 5X standby time went awful. Looking at battery stats, Android System is the culprit + phone never sleep. Any 5X owner experience this? Currently in 7.1.1 November DP.

My Nexus 5X standby time went awful. Looking at battery stats, Android System is the culprit + phone never sleep. Any 5X owner experience this? Currently in 7.1.1 November DP.

Oh man it's awful when it's sleeping so I can't imagine.

Your on a beta. Wait for the final any day now and wipe if it still an issue.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I also got my Home for $75. I wouldn't have bought it for $130 after the initial reviews -- I'm getting tired of beta testing all of Google's hardware. But for $75? Meh sure.

Quasar

So I've had a bit more time with my Google Home.

I've come to realise that controlling my music/audio with voice only just isn't practical. Its not so much an issue with home, just that as of now my Google Play Music has like 100 playlists which I obviously cannot remember all the names of so I do still need a screen to browse my playlists.

Maybe this will change once the assistant part is much much better.

I am really liking it though and this will obviously improve as Google opens up the apis and I actually invest in some smart home gear. Can definitely see myself buying an addition one at some point, or a third party speaker like those of Sony once they add in home to them.

Same with 6p and DP2 Android system is out of control and Android OS racking up more battery then screen on time

People are never going to stop fighting battery issues with those phones.

The encryption has a performance penalty. The processors overheat and throttle. They are also clocked at a high idle frequency to deal with performance.

The 2015 Nexus phones need to be forgotten IMO. It will be great when the Pixels can be had as a budget phone next fall.

Quasar

People are never going to stop fighting battery issues with those phones.

The encryption has a performance penalty. The processors overheat and throttle. They are also clocked at a high idle frequency to deal with performance.

The 2015 Nexus phones need to be forgotten IMO. It will be great when the Pixels can be had as a budget phone next fall.

Will they? or will Google just emulate Apple with that?

Top Bottom