• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Laekon

So the EU version of the S7 is down to $500 on the US Amazon. How low do you think it will go before the new phone is announced? I would really like to move on from my 5X but don't want a larger phone. I like stock Android but don't think the Pixel is worth the cost.

reKon

Banned
So the EU version of the S7 is down to $500 on the US Amazon. How low do you think it will go before the new phone is announced? I would really like to move on from my 5X but don't want a larger phone. I like stock Android but don't think the Pixel is worth the cost.

It will probably hover around that. What you do is order one new at swappa.com...

There were a bunch of S7 Edge's going for $500 new last week and I grabbed one. I'd assume that there would be a few new S7's, unlocked EU versions going for anywhere from $400 to $450.

Jeffrey

i wish android was better with bluetooth switching.

Like with ios, my iphone could automatically go from my bluetooth headphones to the bluetooth of my car when i start that just fine.

Unless there is some settings in android I'm missing?

TTOOLL

Phone at 20%. Open camera. Shutting off.

Eat shit.

This shit is totally unacceptable.

Try disabling automatic battery saving mode. It normally kicks in at 15% I think.

It used to happen a lot with my old Moto X 2015 but it doesn't anymore since I gave it to my girlfriend, it has never happened with the new S7.

wilflare

the "sudden death" at 20% on my 6P is getting really unbearable.
time to send it in for RMA :/

but with bootloader locked and no TWRP -- this is gonna be one messy backup

Groof

This shit is totally unacceptable.

Try disabling automatic battery saving mode. It normally kicks in at 15% I think.

It used to happen a lot with my old Moto X 2015 but it doesn't anymore since I gave it to my girlfriend, it has never happened with the new S7.
I've had it off for months. I'm going to see if there's anything I can do about it when I'm back in Sweden. Phone's barely a year old.

Hey, guys. After the Note 7 fun, I'm back to my Note 4 and it's ready to die, so I'm looking for replacements.

How's the OnePlus 3T? Any issues to look out for? How about the ZTE Axon 7? I'm just looking for a device that'll perform well at this point.

Also, I hate that Samsung has a monopoly on the stylus market. Jeez, what a pain. Guess I'm going back to pen + paper...

Denzar

'Sup Android GAF? Looking for a new android phone, preferably without an overlay and not above € 400. Current phone is a Nexus 4 and I've had it for over 3 years. Really satified with the device. Lately the software, no matter if I restore it to factory settings or not, is really, really slow. Apps need to update every fookin' day. Front facing camera is busted and the volume knobs don't work anymore.

I don't need a flagship phone, nor do I want huge storage capacity or a 16MP front facing camera. I don't really want a big phone neither. I'm willing to go bigger than my Nexus 4 (not a lot bigger), but only because that's what's on offer ATM. Sturdyness is a huge plus. I can't remember how many times I've dropped my N4, but the screen never cracked. I've been looking at different devices and these caught my eye:

- Nexus 5, but that seems to be close to obsolete.
- Motorola G4 Plus
- One Plus X or One Plus2 (Price is VERY attractive)

What do you guys think? Any ohter brands you guys could recommend? I'm Euro-trash and don't want an iPhone.

Posting in this thread because I didn't think a question like this warrants it's own thread. Thanks!

'Sup Android GAF? Looking for a new android phone, preferably without an overlay and not above € 400. Current phone is a Nexus 4 and I've had it for over 3 years. Really satified with the device. Lately the software, no matter if I restore it to factory settings or not, is really, really slow. Apps need to update every fookin' day. Front facing camera is busted and the volume knobs don't work anymore.

I don't need a flagship phone, nor do I want huge storage capacity or a 16MP front facing camera. I don't really want a big phone neither. I'm willing to go bigger than my Nexus 4 (not a lot bigger), but only because that's what's on offerATM. I've been looking at different devices and these caught my eye:

- Nexus 5, but that seems to be close to obsolete.
- Motorola phones
- One Plus X or One Plus2 (Price is VERY attractive)

What do you guys think? Any ohter brands you guys could recommend? I'm Euro-trash and don't want an iPhone.

Posting in this thread because I didn't think a question like this warrants it's own thread. Thanks!

Moto G4
Nextbit Robin
Nexus 5X
Honor 8

Ty4on

Moto G4
Nextbit Robin
Nexus 5X
Honor 8
5X? With all the boot loop issues?

I'd stay away from the Robin as well unless you don't mind all plastic construction.

How much is the One Plus 3? It's pricy, but that phone could last a bit longer until getting painfully slow.

I find it depressing that there really isn't much in that bracket. There's a huge gap between the cheapest phones and "affordable" premium phones and the latter is really only the One Plus and maybe some other Chinese brands.

(This is just new hypothesizing), but I think the Nexus 4 suffers from poor flash performance which slows it down with age. Factory reset seems like it should help, but it might slow down again when it gets filled up or maybe the reset doesn't fix the issue. I'd get something with a lot more storage than you need (so you never fill it up and can stay at like 50%) and with good storage performance from the get go. I wish I could recommend all CPUs, but if you get something too cheap like an S615 based (anything with A53s as their fastest cores) you'll get a chip so slow it doesn't really beat the Nexus 4 in web browsing benches. It'll still be faster overall (might be slower in graphics), but it just feels bad to me to buy a phone that doesn't run rings around something 4 years old :p
Doesn't bode well for future performance.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Those of you looking for a phone on this cheap go with that Jazz recommended Honor 8.

The OP3T is faster, but I'm not sold that it's appreciatively faster than the Honor 8 on day to day usage vs the extra cost the OP3T is over the Honor 8.

Jeffrey

Those of you looking for a phone on this cheap go with that Jazz recommended Honor 8.

The OP3T is faster, but I'm not sold that it's appreciatively faster than the Honor 8 on day to day usage vs the extra cost the OP3T is over the Honor 8.

I feel like the honor 8's price drops like $50 every month lol. Will be free at some point!

it's the best camera in this price point imo, and nougat makes emui a bit more like stock too.

Denzar

Moto G4
Nextbit Robin
Nexus 5X
Honor 8

5X? With all the boot loop issues?

I'd stay away from the Robin as well unless you don't mind all plastic construction.

How much is the One Plus 3? It's pricy, but that phone could last a bit longer until getting painfully slow.

I find it depressing that there really isn't much in that bracket. There's a huge gap between the cheapest phones and "affordable" premium phones and the latter is really only the One Plus and maybe some other Chinese brands.

(This is just new hypothesizing), but I think the Nexus 4 suffers from poor flash performance which slows it down with age. Factory reset seems like it should help, but it might slow down again when it gets filled up or maybe the reset doesn't fix the issue. I'd get something with a lot more storage than you need (so you never fill it up and can stay at like 50%) and with good storage performance from the get go. I wish I could recommend all CPUs, but if you get something too cheap like an S615 based (anything with A53s as their fastest cores) you'll get a chip so slow it doesn't really beat the Nexus 4 in web browsing benches. It'll still be faster overall (might be slower in graphics), but it just feels bad to me to buy a phone that doesn't run rings around something 4 years old :p
Doesn't bode well for future performance.

One Plus 3 is way too big for my tastes, even though I know it's a terrific device. Graphics don't really matter all that much to me.

Thanks for replying, dudes!

I narrowed down my choices to the Honor 8 and One Plus X. I'm leaning towards One Plus X because of it's size. It's slightly bigger than my Nexus 4 and slightly smaller than the Honor 8. Taking into account that I'll buy a pretty robust protection case and that the One Plus X is only € 239 ATM, I don't really see why I should go with Huawei.

Unless you guys could point me towards something I'm missing...?

this_guy

One Plus 3 is way too big for my tastes, even though I know it's a terrific device.

Thanks for replying, dudes!

I narrowed down my choices to the Honor 8 and One Plus X. I'm leaning towards One Plus X because of it's size. It's slightly bigger than my Nexus 4 and slightly smaller than the Honor 8. Taking into account that I'll buy a pretty robust protection case and that the One Plus X is only € 239 ATM, I don't really see why I should go with Huawei.

Unless you guys could point me towards something I'm missing...?

If you're in the US the Honor 8 has all of T-Mobile and AT&T's LTE bands. One Plus X will work but it's missing some bands.

Denzar

where do you even get a oneplus x, thought they stop selling them ages ago.

On their website.

Honor 8 is your best bet. You just missed some ridiculous sales on that device.

Yeah, I know. But I work in an electronics store and have quite a bit of employee discount.(Gaming department so I don't know all that much about phones.)

Honor 8 is a much newer much faster device than the One Plus X.

You guys are making me doubt. One Plus X is quite a bit cheaper.

Oneplus X at this point will get you 0 support. If you're fine with that I guess get it.

I am, yes.

On their website.

Yeah, I know. But I work in an electronics store and have quite a bit of employee discount.(Gaming department so I don't know all that much about phones.)

You guys are making me doubt. One Plus X is quite a bit cheaper.

I am, yes.

I'll sell you a mint Honor 8 in black for the price i paid for it on the sale 299.99...nm you're in Belgium sorry

snacknuts

we all knew her
I guess this might not fall under the Android umbrella, but my Google Wifi is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Looking forward to not having any more dead spots in the house.

reKon

Banned
Including that stylus really makes it an engineering challenge I guess. It's not like it was a super thin phone to begin with. I think that they do slight deceases to the battery size and stylus and obviously do some vigorous testing and they should be good. We have now seen what can happen when you really push things with this phones packed with all this technology.

Devices are supposed to have room for small enough defects that would still render them safe to use.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Got my Huawei Watch today. Jaw droppingly gorgeous. That, along with my Axon 7, means I've gone all in on Chinese Android hardware. Not by design, but a $400 flagship phone and a $200 top of the line smartwatch feels like daylight robbery in the tech world. I'm amazed by the caliber of hardware I walk around with for this cheap. I'll upgrade next year, because I always upgrade and because I need a great camera, but this has really opened my eyes to what's possible in Chinese technology. None of this stuff feels cheap, none of it looks cheap either.

reKon

Banned
Got my Huawei Watch today. Jaw droppingly gorgeous. That, along with my Axon 7, means I've gone all in on Chinese Android hardware. Not by design, but a $400 flagship phone and a $200 top of the line smartwatch feels like daylight robbery in the tech world. I'm amazed by the caliber of hardware I walk around with for this cheap. I'll upgrade next year, because I always upgrade and because I need a great camera, but this has really opened my eyes to what's possible in Chinese technology. None of this stuff feels cheap, none of it looks cheap either.

Nice. My brother-in-law and I went in and got my sister this for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013LKLS2E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For $250. Best looking smart watch out there with decent battery life. For the price Huawei was charging when it came out, it should have included a GPS.

nice!

which Huawei Watch model did you go with?

people ask me about it all the time.

so many people know how to say 'Huawei' now because of me!

reKon

Banned
Browsing GAF with the dark theme on an S7 Edge while laying in bed with all the lights off is a thing of beauty. The edges...

Nephix

What's Huawei like these days? Thinking about moving from an iPhone 6 to the Huawei Mate 9 Pro.

Or are there better phones for the price? I like the size of the Mate 9.

That's awesome. I hope you're going to be happy with both devices.

"feels like daylight robbery in the tech world"

I hope you realize what a pile of garbage the Lumia 950 series was for the price they asked. You can like the OS and camera all you want, but the build quality alone was insulting for that price and not excusable.

Top Bottom