• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hope you realize what a pile of garbage the Lumia 950 series was for the price they asked. You can like the OS and camera all you want, but the build quality alone was insulting for that price and not excusable.

I didn't even need to turn to Huawei for that: the 920, with (at the time) revolutionary features like wireless charging, ois, super sensitive touch, etc. was $450 at the CARRIER. It's been downhill for them pricing-wise since then.

Jeffrey

Best thing about android is that there will always be phones with headphones jacks.

Unless you also sell a bunch of headphones, there really isn't a financial reason for most companies to ditch it.

Asgaro

With pebble being bought by fitbit. Interested to try another smart wearable. Might get a gear 3 for Samsung pay.

If you're primarily in for the fitness and workout tracking, I can recommend the Garmin GPS sportwatches. Recently bought the Garmin Forerunner 235 and I love it to death.

reKon

Banned
Samsung would have to put a 4000 mAH battery in their next flag ship offering 3 day battery life if their going to fuck around and do this. We know that won't happen considering the problems they've had, but that would be the only thing make me still consider. They can fuck off with that.

It's a shame because the Galaxy S7 Edge is the damn most beautiful phone I've owned (sorry HTC One M7). I'd rather buy another cheap off contract version of it for $300 for future use rather than get the next version. The battery life, Samsung Pay, and the camera quality are the standouts here.

RM8

I'm planning my return to Android lately, and I'm pretty convinced of buying a Zuk Z2. It's compact yet pretty powerful, that's literally all I ask from a phone (plus this one is cheap!). I'm just a bit worried about the inconveniences I may experience by buying a Chinese Android phone, for better or worse 3 years of iPhone have made me forget about having to tweak around with my phones. But I'm actually looking forward to it! I like iPhones a lot but while playing around with the SE (the one I wanted to buy), I realized I'm super bored of the OS.

Jeffrey

If you're primarily in for the fitness and workout tracking, I can recommend the Garmin GPS sportwatches. Recently bought the Garmin Forerunner 235 and I love it to death.

I never really understood 'active' watches. They seem fine for running, but they don't really offer much if you do any other form of exercise like HIT or weight lifting. Heartrate sensors on the wrist also rarely work well for me.

I'm planning my return to Android lately, and I'm pretty convinced of buying a Zuk Z2. It's compact yet pretty powerful, that's literally all I ask from a phone (plus this one is cheap!). I'm just a bit worried about the inconveniences I may experience by buying a Chinese Android phone, for better or worse 3 years of iPhone have made me forget about having to tweak around with my phones. But I'm actually looking forward to it! I like iPhones a lot but while playing around with the SE (the one I wanted to buy), I realized I'm super bored of the OS.
Do it! It's an amazing phone

Asgaro

I never really understood 'active' watches. They seem fine for running, but they don't really offer much if you do any other form of exercise like HIT or weight lifting. Heartrate sensors on the wrist also rarely work well for me.

Yeah, it depends on the sport: it's only really useful for running and cycling...
I now run in specific heart rate zones (it's very helpful to see it visually) and this will help me improve.

For strength training I think everything will eventually be trackable but we aren't there yet. It will probably not be by wearing a smartwatch but by using for example smart dumbbells that have built-in sensors like accelerometers.

Quasar

I'm really pretty happy with my cheaper vivoactive hr. Sad that android wear or even watchos watches cant match its feature set. Also made me realise that notifications on my wrist really is actually useful.

As a life long non watch person I'm still surprised that I'd even consider owning a smart watch.

BluWacky

How on earth do you choose an Android phone these days???

I'm eligible for an upgrade on my contract and just have absolutely no idea what to go for. Every website says the Galaxy Edge S7; every forum seems to love the Pixel. I suspect that any phone I pick would do the job just fine, but I won't be satisfied unless I buy the best...

TTOOLL

I'm eligible for an upgrade on my contract and just have absolutely no idea what to go for. Every website says the Galaxy Edge S7; every forum seems to love the Pixel. I suspect that any phone I pick would do the job just fine, but I won't be satisfied unless I buy the best...

S7 (exynos) is the best hardware here, no question.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Whats your usage? And do you want size, battery life, camera? All those bests may be different.

Base model with the leather straps. I dress business casual for work and this watch complements it perfectly.

that's what i got too. then i got a 3rd party link band for like $17

Browsing GAF with the dark theme on an S7 Edge while laying in bed with all the lights off is a thing of beauty. The edges...

even better with Note 7

i think imma keep my Note 7

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Buy mine. The person I gave it to cracked the screen in an hour. It's hairline, noticeable but not bad. Still, it's there and it's across the screen. Literally never removed the factory screen plastic covering, too. Otherwise, perfect. Used for a total of one whole hour. $150. Yes, I am pissed at the clumsiness.

LeleSocho

Banned

All depends on what you prioritize, the GS7 has a better screen and if you are outside the US it also has a better SoC but it has Touchwiz while the Pixel has pure stock android and will be supported more and better by Google but has a "worse" screen and it's considered not as pleasing to the eye.
There is no clear winner on the camera as one is arguably better than the other in different areas but for example the Pixel has a lens flare problem which even if fixed by software can result annoying.

stop thinking about it and get a pixel

anything else suxxx unless you want a phone with a stylus then get some old note. Everything else is a huge no. To me the choices are obvious:

budget: Oneplus
any phone: pixel
phablet with stylus: note

everything else shouldn't be considered. BUT THAT'S JUST ME. Feel free to insert the Axon or one of the other budget phones instead of the oneplus.

64GB Note 5

All depends on what you prioritize, the GS7 has a better screen and if you are outside the US it also has a better SoC but it has Touchwiz while the Pixel has pure stock android and will be supported more and better by Google but has a "worse" screen and it's considered not as pleasing to the eye.
There is no clear winner on the camera as one is arguably better than the other in different areas but for example the Pixel has a lens flare problem which even if fixed by software can result annoying.

the Pixel isn't pure stock, and in fact, other devices running actual stock outperform it.

I want a cheap tablet and I'd prefer it to be Android because there's a 60% chance I go back to android next year for my main phone but man everything is so bad. Were there any rumours for a new pixel tablet I missed?

I NEEDS.

I can't help but laugh at the S8 rumors since not long ago Samsung was making fun of Apple for the headphone jack removal and now they are seemingly doing it themselves. Personally I really could not care less about them removing it. I admit I made a big stink when it was rumored Apple was doing it and again when the iPhone 7 was revealed, but I still ended up buying one and I bought a pair of PowerBeats 2 headphones and now I do not know why I didn't switch to wireless sooner.

I can't help but laugh at the S8 rumors since not long ago Samsung was making fun of Apple for the headphone jack removal and now they are seemingly doing it themselves. Personally I really could not care less about them removing it. I admit I made a big stink when it was rumored Apple was doing it and again when the iPhone 7 was revealed, but I still ended up buying one and I bought a pair of PowerBeats 2 headphones and now I do not know why I didn't switch to wireless sooner.
it was the same with flash...some companies even made commercials that aired on TV bragging about still playing about to play flash content lol.

reKon

Banned
Exynos S7 edge shits on everything. First day and I'm at 75 percent battery with 1.5 hours screen on time with location history turned on. It's noticeably quicker than my snapdragon S7 was, especially when going in and out of the settings menu when it's not in memory.

Putting Nova launcher and dark material theme on this is perfection. Even browsing GAF is a joy. Fuck the Pixel (until next year where it's fuck Samsung).

You could switch to wireless and not give up the convenience of a headphone jack. Nothing about what you wrote necessitated the removal of the headphone jack.
Well *IF* Apple was being honest and they really needed the extra space for internals and waterproofing I think it was worth it. Now, obviously other phones have waterproofing and headphone jacks, but I think the iPhone 7 was found to be one of if not the best at waterproofing despite being rated lower than the S7. We will see what Samsung does with the removal of the jack.

Nephix

Keep hearing good things about the S7 Edge but I got a good offer on the Huawei Mate 9 Pro ( same price as S7 Edge ). Can't find much info on it though but 6 GB ram and 128 GB built in storage seemed decent.
Anyone aware of any reviews on the Mate 9 Pro yet?

RM8

Do it! It's an amazing phone
I'm looking forward to having it!

Buy mine. The person I gave it to cracked the screen in an hour. It's hairline, noticeable but not bad. Still, it's there and it's across the screen. Literally never removed the factory screen plastic covering, too. Otherwise, perfect. Used for a total of one whole hour. $150. Yes, I am pissed at the clumsiness.
I live in Japan ;(
and I'm uber picky about such details, lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wish Samsung would hurry the fuck up with the Tab S3.

I've waited this long. I'll wait it out, but FFS what are you waiting for Sammy.

reKon

Banned
Keep hearing good things about the S7 Edge but I got a good offer on the Huawei Mate 9 Pro ( same price as S7 Edge ). Can't find much info on it though but 6 GB ram and 128 GB built in storage seemed decent.
Anyone aware of any reviews on the Mate 9 Pro yet?

Nah I haven't seen any. These phone looks great, but I just can't with that software. I was able to buy the S7 Edge new unlocked for around 500 on Swappa. If you see it for that price, you buy it (unless the Mate 9 Pro is like 100 USD cheaper).

You could switch to wireless and not give up the convenience of a headphone jack. Nothing about what you wrote necessitated the removal of the headphone jack.

indeed!!!

i use my wireless headphones all the time. and my wired ones too. and my wireless/wired headphones that go both ways.

and i understand that sometimes less options can be better, but that is just not the case when you eliminate the actual best option.

Wag

What do people think of the Lenovo Zuk Z2? I need a new phone and I don't have a lot of money. It's S820 based w/64GB and Gearbest is selling it right now for $185.

OK, somebody tell me I'm not crazy. The scrolling in the official Twitter app feels like it's scrolling on ice or some shit. Like the momentum when you start the scroll feels off and when you try to stop it, it feels like it's still slides too far. Apps can't implement their own scrolling behaviour, can they?

I bought Flamingo (great Twitter app btw) and it feels right back to normal.

bedlamite

Got the new Asus Zenwatch to go with my V20, quite liking it so far. Nothing life-changing, but being able to control Spotify from my wrist was worth the price of entry.

Jeffrey

someone here is getting a s3?

i'm curious about how it works for samsung pay. I recall hearing there was limitations on non galaxy phones though.

JoseDFrog

Banned
someone here is getting a s3?

i'm curious about how it works for samsung pay. I recall hearing there was limitations on non galaxy phones though.

I have the Gear S3 paired with a Pixel XL. Samsung Pay works, I had to wait a week to get it since it initially didn't work with Android 7.1.

Jeffrey

I have the Gear S3 paired with a Pixel XL. Samsung Pay works, I had to wait a week to get it since it initially didn't work with Android 7.1.

does MST work though or just nfc?

Early benchies show the 835 with a 30% GPU bump over the 821. That's a massive difference if you care about VR.

don't cares about VR until these phones get up to 4k displays again imo. Should help with emulators though.

Top Bottom