• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

IronRaven

Still stuck waiting for Verizon to approve the update for 7.1.1 for my Nexus 6P. And before anyone asks why I'm on Verizon, no other carrier in my area has very good coverage/reliability.

AndyD

aka andydumi
thanks! I suppose I gotta key-in all the tracking numbers individually
it doesn't get the data off Amazon or something automatically right?

It says it will sync from certain vendors. Which I assume means give them access to your login info? In any case, Google scans your email and populates stuff into cards, which works very well already for regular use. If you buy/sell a lot, a tool like this seems nice.

Nephix

Is the Huawei smartwatch any good? And does it only work with Android or can I use it with my iOS device until my Android phone arrives?

waxer

Keep hearing good things about the S7 Edge but I got a good offer on the Huawei Mate 9 Pro ( same price as S7 Edge ). Can't find much info on it though but 6 GB ram and 128 GB built in storage seemed decent.
Anyone aware of any reviews on the Mate 9 Pro yet?
Prob just cause basicly same as mate 9. Just screen res and size. Camera pricessor etc all same. Just watch mate 9 reviews. There are a heap.

Aiii

So not worth it
it's arguably the best Android Wear device, and yes, it works on iOS.

It is shit on iOS though, and I say this as someone who loved his Huawei Watch. When I switched to iOS I didn't last a week until getting the Apple Watch, which looks way worse, but is a much better smartwatch (even when compared to Wear with an Android smartphone, but that is a whole 'nother story).

Since it is just for a little while, it will be fine, but just know it won't do much other than a few notifications.

Jeffrey

man i missed the huawei watch BF deals...

pebble should have announced their closure earlier.

edit: still see some around $200 on ebay. Think ill just wait to see what 2.0 brings though, and if google will release a watch.

It is shit on iOS though, and I say this as someone who loved his Huawei Watch. When I switched to iOS I didn't last a week until getting the Apple Watch, which looks way worse, but is a much better smartwatch (even when compared to Wear with an Android smartphone, but that is a whole 'nother story).

Since it is just for a little while, it will be fine, but just know it won't do much other than a few notifications.

Sounds like you had a phone problem instead of a watch problem.

Apples lock in ecosystem wins them more money again.

looks like they're going from weekly push notifications to daily next week.

Samsung said:
We strongly urge any customers still using their Note7 to return their device to the place of purchase for a refund or exchange between December 7th and December 15th. We have been in continuous communication with Note7 customers to remind them about the need to return their recalled device and will continue to communicate daily with a push notification about this network deactivation event to ensure they continue to receive adequate notice.

As a recalled product, Note7 device owners are legally prohibited from selling or even giving away the recalled device. We would like to remind customers that they need to return their Note7 device.

http://www.androidcentral.com/canadians-wont-be-able-use-note-7-any-network-after-december-15

*the 'new' phone cuts off features of the watch*

~changes watch, rewarding shitty behavior~

Nephix

it's arguably the best Android Wear device, and yes, it works on iOS.

Sounds great, thanks!

I'm fine with it just showing the clock and maybe some basic notifications for now.
Nice to hear someone actually happy with their Apple Watch though as I mostly heard people complain about it over here. I'm guessing you've got the 2nd gen version?

Jeffrey

i owned an apple watch. nothing wrong with that. the vibration motor was ass though. i missed phone calls, which is 90% of the reason I got a smartwatch to begin with.

So I sold that. those things have great resale value, as with most apple stuff!

Aiii

So not worth it
*the 'new' phone cuts off features of the watch*

~changes watch, rewarding shitty behavior~

Shitty Android support caused me to switch phones to an OS that does give proper regular and security updates in a timely manner, even to older phones, nescessating the change in watch. The watch never dictated a choice.

Sounds like you had a phone problem instead of a watch problem.

Apples lock in ecosystem wins them more money again.

Does the cause of the issue matter? I said nothing bad about the watch itself, it is just not a good smartwatch when linked to iOS and I would not advise anyone to get an Android Wear watch with iOS.

That said, the Apple Watch is a superior smartwatch in every way to Wear linked with Android smartphones. App support is better, it is miles better at fitness, the OS is way better designed, even compared to Wear 2.0, the screen is better, it never bugs out needing a reboot and Siri is way more responsive than Google Now. I hope Wear is quickly brought on par with it, maybe the new Snapdragon helps in this, I couldn't say since I only ever had the old 400 in my Wear watches.

Shitty Android support caused me to switch phones to an OS that does give proper regular and security updates in a timely manner, even to older phones, nescessating the change in watch. The watch never dictated a choice.

Does the cause of the issue matter? I said nothing bad about the watch itself, it is just not a good smartwatch when linked to iOS and I would not advise anyone to get an Android Wear watch with iOS.

That said, the Apple Watch is a superior smartwatch in every way to Wear linked with Android smartphones. App support is better, it is miles better at fitness, the OS is way better designed, even compared to Wear 2.0, the screen is better, it never bugs out needing a reboot and Siri is way more responsive than Google Now. I hope Wear is quickly brought on par with it, maybe the new Snapdragon helps in this, I couldn't say since I only ever had the old 400 in my Wear watches.

it's not even round.

Jeffrey

apple watch is trash. android wear is trash.

pebble was great, but alas.

I hear gear s3's interface is quite good though. Just wish it was better integrated to android stuff. I hear it's not the most consistent in terms of simple things like clearing notifications.

I hear gear s3's interface is quite good though. Just wish it was better integrated to android stuff. I hear it's not the most consistent in terms of simple things like clearing notifications.

I've had very little issues with the S2.

the Gear Fit2 is great, i can only imagine the Gear S3 is fantastic with the additions that wold come with it.

Wag

I finally replaced the battery in my 3yr old Nexus 5 (could only make 1 phone call, lol). Are there any stable Android 7 ROMs out there? Does it pay to root at this point?

wilflare

It says it will sync from certain vendors. Which I assume means give them access to your login info? In any case, Google scans your email and populates stuff into cards, which works very well already for regular use. If you buy/sell a lot, a tool like this seems nice.

thanks! Google doesn't seem to catch it all though. oh well

No faceless is right. You are rewarding shitty behavior. Also there is nothing shitty about googles security updates on their phones. They have been very good and consistent. Anyone that owns a smart watch isn't using a 4 year old phone as a daily driver.

Regardless, when and if Google feels like getting their shit together with Android wear it will slaughter the Apple watch. Siri is garbage compared to googles database and voice recognition.

The microphone and speaker are the new user interface.

Groof

In this episode of the 6p struggle. Shut off at 30%, refused to turn on, charge it a bit and turn on, it starts at 30% again.

yY0gLWb.png

No faceless is right. You are rewarding shitty behavior. Also there is nothing shitty about googles security updates on their phones. They have been very good and consistent. Anyone that owns a smart watch isn't using a 4 year old phone as a daily driver.

Regardless, when and if Google feels like getting their shit together with Android wear it will slaughter the Apple watch. Siri is garbage compared to googles database and voice recognition.

The microphone and speaker are the new user interface.

seriously, some of these OEMs are putting in the actual work they're supposed to...

my 26 month old Note 4 got the November security update in late November!

Wonder if gear s3 Samsung pay would work on rooted phones.

why would anyone want secure financial information on an unsecured device?

linkboy

Still stuck waiting for Verizon to approve the update for 7.1.1 for my Nexus 6P. And before anyone asks why I'm on Verizon, no other carrier in my area has very good coverage/reliability.

I put my 6p on the Verizon side of Straight Talk. Gives me the best of both worlds, Verizon's network and I don't have to deal with them.

Haven't had any issues with Straight Talk.

Aiii

So not worth it

Simultaneously complaining about rewarding shitty behaviour, whilst advocating that everyone should buy a new phone ever 1,5 years is just about the most fanboyish thing you could probably have posted. I applaud you, sir.

I have no dog in this fight, if you want to hate Apple, go right ahead, but stop bothering me with it just because I answered a question about pairing an Android Smartwatch with iOS. I'll buy what I want, and I'll do it without caring about what you think is "shitty behaviour."

Asgaro

with the Pebble going out, guess I should really look for another to be my first smartwatch

thinking of the Gear S3

I'm mostly bumped about the Pebble Core not being produced since there are no competitive products.
There is this, Mighty https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mighty-streaming-music-without-your-phone#/ , but the Pebble Core would on top of that be able to house a data-only SIM card. So you could stay connected on runs without having to take your smartphone with you!
With a push of a button you could send your location to someone, in case you need help, to give an example.

In hindsight I'm really glad I bought the Garmin Forerunner 235 in a Cyber Monday deal for €100 off. I was thinking of waiting it out on purchasing a GPS sportwatch until my Pebble Core would have arrive and then I would have assessed the possiblities.

I would have 2 choices:
- Pebble Time (already have) + heart rate attachment (backed) + Pebble Core (backed).
OR
- GPS sportwatch (with heart rate sensor and lot more data analytics) like the Garmin Forerunner series.

Glad I bit the bullet on the sportwatch :D
And I'll will be able to get a refund for both backed products.

Chorazin

If anyone has a Pixel C without the fancy metal keyboard attachment, I'm selling mine for $100 since I just traded my Pixel C into Amazon. It's barely been used and I ever still have the packaging for it, let me know if you're interested!

So what is a good mid-spec or upper-mid phone with micro SD?
Moto Z Play, if you want a phone with the ability to use it without worrying about the battery life, no lag and a good camera, this would be the top choice.

However, if your biggest need is to display a really high number on benchmark app then you should probably get something else.

Simultaneously complaining about rewarding shitty behaviour, whilst advocating that everyone should buy a new phone ever 1,5 years is just about the most fanboyish thing you could probably have posted. I applaud you, sir.

I have no dog in this fight, if you want to hate Apple, go right ahead, but stop bothering me with it just because I answered a question about pairing an Android Smartwatch with iOS. I'll buy what I want, and I'll do it without caring about what you think is "shitty behaviour."

I jumped in BC your complaints didn't seam valid and your doing it again. Where is this 1.5 years coming from? Especially when you were talking about security.

You were complaining about security updates and the Google devices receive 3 YEARS MINIMUM. Regular security updates is not a reason to drop Android anymore and you know it.

I'm not being a fanboy. I'm calling out bullshit.

their question was can they use it until their Android phone arrives.

your response was garbage.

this_guy

Actually your post was very fanboyish.

In this episode of the 6p struggle. Shut off at 30%, refused to turn on, charge it a bit and turn on, it starts at 30% again.

This happens regularly to mine, too. It shuts off, then when I plug it in and reboot, it's already at 30%+. It's infuriating, and I'm desperate to get off the 6P.

This happens regularly to mine, too. It shuts off, then when I plug it in and reboot, it's already at 30%+. It's infuriating, and I'm desperate to get off the 6P.

Did you download 7.1.1 and try a factory reset?

Getting off of a 2015 Qualcomm is amazingly different. Not related to your issue but just saying.

Might be a redundant question, but I'm looking to 1) Upgrade my phone sometime next year and 2) Get a new tablet whenever Google announces a new Pixel tablet. Question is, if I buy an app or an add on to an app, will that transfer over to the new phone and be usable on the tablet as well? I guess the main question would be how the license sharing works.

Kaiken

Banned
Might be a redundant question, but I'm looking to 1) Upgrade my phone sometime next year and 2) Get a new tablet whenever Google announces a new Pixel tablet. Question is, if I buy an app or an add on to an app, will that transfer over to the new phone and be usable on the tablet as well? I guess the main question would be how the license sharing works.

All paid apps are tied to your google account. They can be downloaded on any Android device or compatible device running apps from Googles Play Store.

Top Bottom