• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Nexus 6P running 7.1.1 just turned itself off at 30%... and it even reset one extra time before it even got to the unlock screen.... jesus... does this mean my battery is bad or something else?

Groof

Nexus 6P running 7.1.1 just turned itself off at 30%... and it even reset one extra time before it even got to the unlock screen.... jesus... does this mean my battery is bad or something else?

Welcome to the struggle, we have support meetings every Wednesday at 5pm. Coffee, tea and cookies will be provided.

Welcome to the struggle, we have support meetings every Wednesday at 5pm. Coffee, tea and cookies will be provided.

Make it cappuccinos and we'll talk haha. But yeah... first time this has happened... hell, the boot loop (which only looped once) started when I plugged the phone into a charger. Unless it's just stupid coincidence and timing?

Groof

Make it cappuccinos and we'll talk haha. But yeah... first time this has happened... hell, the boot loop (which only looped once) started when I plugged the phone into a charger. Unless it's just stupid coincidence and timing?

Can't say anything about the loop but time to get used to the battery. I never let my phone go below 30% anymore just for this reason

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You still have warranty? Because that's most likely a faulty battery.
They're all like this. I doubt it's a faulty battery. I've only had it happen once but that's because I've only ever had my battery hit 30% once. It annoyed me so much that I would have bought a Pixel had they been in stock. I'd really miss my front facing speakers, though.

Dobsie

Official 7.1.1.

I do have a warranty (Nexus Protect) and now it just shuts off when it gets to the lock screen...

Nevermind, this may have just died because my charger is a POS...
Interesting, mine has died quite a few times on dp2 but since I updated to official it's not happened yet. I've got an rma coming so I'm tempted to flash mine back to dp2 to make sure they don't send mine back saying there's nothing wrong with it.

Interesting, mine has died quite a few times on dp2 but since I updated to official it's not happened yet. I've got an rma coming so I'm tempted to flash mine back to dp2 to make sure they don't send mine back saying there's nothing wrong with it.

As long as you return them your old hardware you will be fine regardless if it works or not.

Don't sweat it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's ok. I don't know if it's an improvement or downgrade. I'd say likely a slight downgrade but I've only been on DP not final release.

Does the Pixel XL in 128GB exist in Blue? Or even 32GB. Sigh. I am tempted with the annoying battery. The front facing speakers are a big deal to me, though. I'm also annoyed at the 810 processor.

It's ok. I don't know if it's an improvement or downgrade. I'd say likely a slight downgrade but I've only been on DP not final release.

Does the Pixel XL in 128GB exist in Blue? Or even 32GB. Sigh. I am tempted with the annoying battery. The front facing speakers are a big deal to me, though. I'm also annoyed at the 810 processor.

I really want a pixel, but I don't want to spend the money. I feel like my 6p has one more year left in it. Then the next pixel is mine

Bboy AJ

I really want a pixel, but I don't want to spend the money. I feel like my 6p has one more year left in it. Then the next pixel is mine
This is how I should feel and what I want to do. Still, I have more money than sense. The 810 is frustrating and the everlasting desire for better battery never dies. Although I don't know if the Pixel is particularly better with regard to battery.

This is how I should feel and what I want to do. Still, I have more money than sense. The 810 is frustrating and the everlasting desire for better battery never dies. Although I don't know if the Pixel is particularly better with regard to battery.

If I wasn't buying a new TV, I'd be all over it. I love new tech. I can't blame you for wanting to switch it up

Thanks

Battery life is reasonable when in use, but doze doesn't seem great, losing 4% overnight. My old lg g2 running cm13 lost 0% over 9 hours when I turned it on the other day.

I seriously think the 6P was the best Marshmellow phone ever, but holy hell Nougat did a number on the phone.

Saiyan-Rox

For me the pixel's battery has been fantastic

Quixzlizx

My Google Home just got activated by a Google Home commercial on TV. I didn't notice until I got startled by a "I'm sorry, but there was a problem. Please try again." I guess it processed the "OK Google," but nothing after that.

What do you expect from Android phones in 2017?
seems like the year the "standard design" of smartphones makes a leap. No more bezel, no more external fingerprint scanner, etc...

Of course 1 or 2 OEMs will totally botch this but the major ones should do good. Phones I have really high expectations of are s8, pixel 2, iphone 8, HTC 11.

Phones I expect the bare minimum of and clinging to oldness = LG G6, Moto whatever, sony whatever.

The 2015 Google phones are garbage due to Qualcomm. Always have been and always will be.

The Qualcomms were supposed to have free encryption and they didnt. They also overheat and throttle like crazy. Some phones have them and don't perform so terribly but they don't have encryption on.

It's not a matter of IF googles 2016 phones are better. It's a matter of whether you are willing to hold out longer to get even more bang for your buck.

I don't know if these shutoffs are Qualcomms fault but the constant performance and battery life issues certainly are. I have been following Google's work on dealing with this since the launch of the phones. The 2015 Qualcomms have been a constant battle of sacrificing battery or performance. There is no right answer other that forgetting that crap year for Android.

The 2015 Google phones are garbage due to Qualcomm. Always have been and always will be.

It's not a matter of IF googles 2016 phones are better it's a matter of whether you are willing to hold out longer to get even more bag for your buck.

I don't know if these shutoffs are Qualcomms fault but the constant performance and battery life issues certainly are. I have been following Google's work on dealing with this since the launch of the phones. The 2015 Qualcomms have been a constant battle of sacrificing battery or performance. There is no right answer other that forgetting that crap year for Android.

I'd love for a CDMA OP4. I'd definitely wait for the next Pixel phone as well, and hopefully make it a damn good one (less bezels, actual stereo speakers and maybe even a better battery). But yeah. Fuck the 810.

Qualcomm should have NEVER aborted their schedule and used the ARM chips.

Last year's chipset should have been 32 bit and no consumers would have cared. The 805 was great. I would have much rather had its successor than the garbage we got last year.

Dobsie

The Qualcomms were supposed to have free encryption and they didnt. They also overheat and throttle like crazy. Some phones have them and don't perform so terribly but they don't have encryption on.

It's not a matter of IF googles 2016 phones are better. It's a matter of whether you are willing to hold out longer to get even more bang for your buck.

But encryption can be disabled with custom kernels/ROMs on the 6p and apparently it makes very little difference.
The only time my 6p gets really hot is when it's actually hot outside and/or when I use turn by turn navigation.
Strangely enough, (according to Reddit) a lot of the shutdowns on the 6p when at below 30% seem to happen when it's actually cold outside.

But encryption can be disabled with custom kernels/ROMs on the 6p and apparently it makes very little difference.
The only time my 6p gets really hot is when it's actually hot outside and/or when I use turn by turn navigation.
Strangely enough, (according to Reddit) a lot of the shutdowns on the 6p when at below 30% seem to happen when it's actually cold outside.

Just because you are not noticing your 6p get hot doesn't mean it's not throttling or destroying the battery life. Google has made massive improvements to the overheating and performance caused by the 808/810 but it has came at a cost in battery life.

I'm not going to get into the same conversation I have had a million times. There is plenty of research out there explaining how terrible the 2015 Qualcomms have been for many OEMs.

That's my whole point. It's time to move on if you can or at least plan for something else in the future. No point in battling something that even Google seems to be giving up on.

Bboy AJ

Lot of Pixel issues popping up in the OT. And I saw the screen bubble issue on Reddit, too. Bad luck.

Asgaro

Nice icon pack from Mowmo again. With a transparent effect, which I haven't seen yet.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mowmo.twopixel

zDIelAR.png

Nephix

So uh, I was under the impression that the Huawei Mate 9 Pro would have Daydream support from day one?
But the more I read it sounds like there'll be an update "later" and god knows when that'll be..

The Daydream headsets are pretty cheap over here too at the moment because there's no phones with Daydream support in stores. Maybe I'll just take a chance.

Jeffrey

So uh, I was under the impression that the Huawei Mate 9 Pro would have Daydream support from day one?
But the more I read it sounds like there'll be an update "later" and god knows when that'll be..

The Daydream headsets are pretty cheap over here too at the moment because there's no phones with Daydream support in stores. Maybe I'll just take a chance.

probably won't be a pleasant experience at that dpi.

But at this point i think the only phones with daydream support is pixel, moto z?

seems to be for only online payments? So like paypal or visa checkout? Think Apple is just salty with samsung atm for other reasons.

Are there any samsung apps on ios?

Nephix

probably won't be a pleasant experience at that dpi.

But at this point i think the only phones with daydream support is pixel, moto z?

Really? Isn't the dpi on the mate 9 pro close to or identical to the Pixel XL ( 500+ )?
The regular Mate 9 does have low dpi though so I don't see how they'll get that to look anywhere near tolerable.

Top Bottom