• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

TTOOLL

Check the Galaxy store app. The Google Play store seems to be on version 4 still, but this one they are calling version 5, so it was supposed to be a big update.

It basically has more extensions support now other than adblock. It's more secure. It's now running on chromium 51, so it's faster and it also looks more aesthetically pleasing.

I also noticed that it has that automatic scroll back top up to the beginning of the page feature that it's on the opera browser.

I checked my store and I couldn't even find the browser. I'm o version 4.something.

HawkeyeIC

I thought Andromeda was debunked again just a few days ago.

No. Google is being vague and saying that Android and Chrome aren't merging (in that one of the two would cease to exist), but basically Andromeda is Android getting all of Chrome's features. There will be Android laptops and Chrome laptops, with the Android ones being more premium.

RuGalz

Andromeda needs to ditch Java but it probably won't if it's more Android than Chrome, so meh.

But if it's the other way around since Chrome OS can run Android apps, then hell yes.

Asgaro

"kill me. kill meeeee" - Tim Cuck

Holy shit, I'm cackling.

RYdApAO.jpg

Futureman

Is there a way to send a reduced size photo with Gmail app? or do I have to change the resolution in the camera app before taking the photo? On S7 here.

Andromeda needs to ditch Java but it probably won't if it's more Android than Chrome, so meh.

But if it's the other way around since Chrome OS can run Android apps, then hell yes.

Why does Android need to ditch Java? That sounds like a terrible idea IMO.

The performance loss BC of the VM is becoming less and less of an issue.

The switch causing potential damage to the ecosystem and developers is a much bigger deal IMO.

Java isn't even a bad language. It's basically just a slightly worse and behind version of C#. People's biggest complaints before were due to eclipse and that is gone.

Quasar

Well I thought the slowness of it compared to iPhone code was an issue. That's probably part of why there was chatter about using swift.

IronRaven

Is there a way to send a reduced size photo with Gmail app? or do I have to change the resolution in the camera app before taking the photo? On S7 here.

I think you're going to have to mess around with the camera settings before taking the picture. There might be an app that lets you resize pictures after taking them, but I don't know of any.

Well I thought the slowness of it compared to iPhone code was an issue. That's probably part of why there was chatter about using swift.

That's just due to apples code being closer to the hardware. Android doesn't have that luxury and could potentially need a virtual machine layer even if they picked a different language.

In other words it's not the language thats the problem it's the implementation. IMO.

Honestly with the performance and battery on the Pixel I have zero issues with Java / Android virtual machines.

People also have to remember when it comes to graphics apple released Metal how long ago. We are just getting our own version of that (vulkan). Which again thats Google's fault and nothing to do with the language of choice. I mean we are talking like 30% performance increase with vulkan on the same hardware. That's fricken huge.

The performance/efficiency gap between iOS and Android is slowly closing. It's Qualcomm being behind so far behind apple that is a bigger concern.

Quasar

So lately I've been having trouble with my 5x rebooting a lot and occasionally locking up.

So I've run it in safe mode a few days and there's been none of that so its clear its bad apps on my phone, so I plan to do a 'back to factory' reset.

My issue is of course I have have authenticator setup with all my identies (google, lastpass, amazon, microsoft, etc) and so thats going to cause me some grief with a full reset.

Whats the easiest way to get around this. Disabling 2factor on all these things and then renenabling after the factory reset?

Also with a factory reset how do I stop it from just reinstalling all my apps?

Waiting eagerly for 7.1.1 to show up on my 6P, since i've had nothing but heartburn doing anything in fastboot/adb with my phone. The encryption on this phone has been the bane of my existence and before I dedicate any time to massaging a custom ROM on a brand new device with another year of confirmed OS updates, I want to see if vanilla Android will satisfy my flashing urges.

Maybe it will show up next week.

RuGalz

The performance loss BC of the VM is becoming less and less of an issue.

If you say so, I came from lower level background and the Java code performance is still bad on Android. Chrome's native client while is still a few layers above metal performs much better. The whole Android system was duct taped together and got big way faster than they had time to clean it up. If you think Pixel performs well enough, then there's no reason it couldn't be much better either in raw performance or able to do as well as it does now with better battery life.

You can keep supporting current apps by the way ChromeOS does and offer a much faster path going forward.

If you say so, I came from lower level background and the Java code performance is still bad on Android. Chrome's native client while is still a few layers above metal performs much better. The whole Android system was duct taped together and got big way faster than they had time to clean it up. If you think Pixel performs well enough, then there's no reason it couldn't be much better either in raw performance or able to do as well as it does now with better battery life.

You can keep supporting current apps by the way ChromeOS does and offer a much faster path going forward.

I'm not low level like you so I believe what you say about Java but again is it really the language? I mean u just said Android grew too fast and wasn't put together well. That seems like a different issue than Java itself.

Between Google slowly cleaning things up and the hardware improvements I just feel we are getting at a state where the old pains are less of an issue. Just look at how good the touch latency is on the Pixel compared to let's say the og Nexus 5.

It will be interesting to see what Andromeda brings since it will be running Java apps still.

But yeah as a dev I do enjoy the speed of working on Node backend or even Angular front end projects over native Android. I don't know if Google would go the JavaScript route anyway.

Apps are also predicted to become extinct so there's that too. What happens if everything web based on mobile and Google's new native app platform doesn't take off?

RuGalz

I'm not low level like you so I believe what you say about Java but again is it really the language? I mean u just said Android grew too fast and wasn't put together well. That seems like a different issue than Java itself.

There are multiple issues with Android. Java performance is one, there are a lot of things compiler can optimize that can't be done with a JIT language. And since that's their chosen path the OS has to be done certain ways to accommodate it. It's all related. You lose a bit of efficiency here, a bit there, then it starts to add up.

GuessWho

Need opinion.
Going to renew my contract and here are my options. Canadian prices.
S7 for 50$ with a $72 a month contract
V20 for 400$ with a 61$ a month contract
G5 for 0$ with a 61$ a month contract.

Which would you guys pick? I'm really undecided as the s7 is amazing but so is the v20 in different ways. G5 seems like the wisest decision though as it's similar to the v20 but it doesn't attract me as much.
Urgh this is tough!

There are multiple issues with Android. Java performance is one, there are a lot of things compiler can optimize that can't be done with a JIT language. And since that's their chosen path the OS has to be done certain ways to accommodate it. It's all related. You lose a bit of efficiency here, a bit there, then it starts to add up.

Yeah but the thing is there is no alternative that will be satisfactory due to Android running on many devices.

People think if Google rewrote Android with something different it would be as close to the metal as iOS is which just isn't true.

The only way they could do that is if they gave up on Android a bit and just wrote a new version specifically for the Pixel.

We all know how much the Android community likes it when Google gives special attention to the Pixel...

NeOak

Need opinion.
Going to renew my contract and here are my options. Canadian prices.
S7 for 50$ with a $72 a month contract
V20 for 400$ with a 61$ a month contract
G5 for 0$ with a 61$ a month contract.

Which would you guys pick? I'm really undecided as the s7 is amazing but so is the v20 in different ways. G5 seems like the wisest decision though as it's similar to the v20 but it doesn't attract me as much.
Urgh this is tough!

If you are going to take pictures, the S7 takes the cake.

Note that the S7 and V20 would cost the same after 31 months (11 CDN diff/mo until it reaches ~CDN$ 350)

RuGalz

I don't expect Andromeda to change anything that's why I am not exactly hyped about it until they prove to me otherwise. Google always goes back and forth between different ideas and pet projects until someone else shows them a path then they hastily put together something to compete when it comes to consumer facing products. Maybe having a hardware division will slowly change that.

GuessWho

If you are going to take pictures, the S7 takes the cake.

Note that the S7 and V20 would cost the same after 31 months (11 CDN diff/mo until it reaches ~CDN$ 350)

I plan on keeping it for 24 months. I'm leaning towards s7 but I would love to have a bigger phone...

I don't expect Andromeda to change anything that's why I am not exactly hyped about it until they prove to me otherwise. Google always goes back and forth between different ideas and pet projects until someone else shows them a path then they hastily put together something to compete when it comes to consumer facing products. Maybe having a hardware division will slowly change that.

I could give two shits about Andromeda except for the new notifications sound cool and I expect it to fix messaging finally.

M52B28

Banned
Is the One Plus One still a viable option for a budget smartphone for today's standards?

I'm currently using a banged up Moto X 2013. My screen is cracked (you can see the circuit board), the front and rear facing cameras are non functioning, the headphone jack is barely functional and I can't do data transfer via USB without hangups.

Currently, I plan on buying something soon. I've heard great things about CyanogenMod, but One Plus breaking away from CyanogenMod kind of puts me off.

So, yes or no?

RuGalz

Currently, I plan on buying something soon. I've heard great things about CyanogenMod, but One Plus breaking away from CyanogenMod kind of puts me off.

So, yes or no?

It's still a very capable phone and runs better than budget phones you can get new. I was using it as a temp phone up until a couple weeks ago -- very smooth running cm14.1 nightly. Most of the issues I had with it are edge case stuff. Signal strength is a bit subpar compared to newer phones and lack of band 12 for T-Mobile made me ditch it.

Finally got the GBoard update. Another case of the iOS version being better (slightly).

In iOS, all the search results seem to get inserted into a card view of the data (e.g. map locations, weather). In Android, it just pastes in some text and a link. It's the same information, I guess, but presented better in iOS.

Oh look someone from the verge tweeted about it too: https://twitter.com/backlon/status/809826202328383491

Noema

Nah I wouldn't get OPO at this point. Way too old IMO.

Depends on the price. If he can get it for $150 or so it's still a decent option.

The SD801 is still faster than the midrange SD617. And 3GB of RAM is still more than enough, where most phones in the $200 price range only have 2GB.

And if he's not afraid of tinkering, he can easily flash CM14 on it. That phone has a ton of community support.

Hasney

So someone mentioned a new 7" tablet from Google in a couple of weeks in that Android tablet thread. Is that happening? I'm more than happy with my Pixel C, but my mum wants a new 7" tablet upgrade from her Nexus 7.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For $150, I'd get a Nextbit Robin before a OPO.

So someone mentioned a new 7" tablet from Google in a couple of weeks in that Android tablet thread. Is that happening? I'm more than happy with my Pixel C, but my mum wants a new 7" tablet upgrade from her Nexus 7.
I wish. Rumors have been abound but nothing concrete.

RoKKeR

So why is Facebook Messenger Snapchat now, and is there any way to get rid of this? The fact that the Snapchat is activated by scrolling up is driving me nuts.

Qvoth

probably going to hongkong in january, planning to get either 1+ 3t or xiaomi mix
any owners of either of those have any complaints about them i should know about?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
probably going to hongkong in january, planning to get either 1+ 3t or xiaomi mix
any owners of either of those have any complaints about them i should know about?
I've been to Hong Kong and China on a couple of separate occasions recently. Couldn't find the Mix anywhere.

Top Bottom