• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

His avatar is gone.

That's a bug.

Speaking of his avatar, it always reminds me of this.

"Now my avatar in the other hand is a dead giveaway of where I do some of my work."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201667334&postcount=19267

BSdiXW0.png

Just saying.

FFP2

Updating a rooted Samsung phone is one of the most fustrating things I've ever done. Managed to do it without losing any data/apps but somehow messed up the CSC. Can't install TWRP without doing a full wipe but Flashfire seems to be doing the job well enough. Everything seems functional except for the dialer codes though.

Futureman

I use Spotify like 99% of the time.

There's an album I wanted to listen to that wasn't on Spotify but I had on Google Music, so I listened to it while in my car.

Now every single time I start my car, the bluetooth starts auto-playing Google Music instead of Spotify.

I can't find any preference anywhere as to what app starts playing when connecting to bluetooth. Any ideas? I'm on an S7 if that matters.

AndyD

aka andydumi

There's an album I wanted to listen to that wasn't on Spotify but I had on Google Music, so I listened to it while in my car.

Now every single time I start my car, the bluetooth starts auto-playing Google Music instead of Spotify.

I can't find any preference anywhere as to what app starts playing when connecting to bluetooth. Any ideas? I'm on an S7 if that matters.

Your apps start auto-playing when connecting to BT? Or do you mean when you ask Google to play a song? If so, you can specify the app.

Just ordered a Pixel phone. Any things I should be aware of, or any applications i should download that are a must?

Also, if people can share their experience with the phone just so i can know what to expect, this is my first google phone :)! Help is appreciated.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just ordered a Pixel phone. Any things I should be aware of, or any applications i should download that are a must?

Also, if people can share their experience with the phone just so i can know what to expect, this is my first google phone :)! Help is appreciated.

First Google phone or first Android phone? And what things do you use a smartphone for? Media, games, travel, productivity?

AndyD

aka andydumi
First Google phone, i am replacing my LG G2. I mostly use it for communication, travel and productivity.

I recently upgraded from a G2 as well and I have not really changed my habits much at all. Except I streamlined a bit the apps and culled old stuff. Mostly sticking to Google apps for all purposes.

I've been using this Honor 8 for the past month and there's really some amazing value here. EMUI is pretty terrible out of the box but a DPI change (420) and the material theme from XDA made it real nice looking. I don't even mind most of the EMUI apps - I actually like the built in gallery app, file browser, and the battery manager. Thankfully a lot of the pre-installed apps like Office and Facebook can be uninstalled unlike on Samsung devices. Also forgot how liberating a micro SD slot can be when I can store my entire Spotify library.

Compared to my iPhone 6 Plus, I actually like the Honor a lot more. Battery life has been great... Somewhere around 5 hours SOT most days. About the only thing I think could be better is the camera. It's pretty crap in low light and the app is God awful. $399 CAD was a great deal.

Jeffrey

I've been using this Honor 8 for the past month and there's really some amazing value here. EMUI is pretty terrible out of the box but a DPI change (420) and the material theme from XDA made it real nice looking. I don't even mind most of the EMUI apps - I actually like the built in gallery app, file browser, and the battery manager. Thankfully a lot of the pre-installed apps like Office and Facebook can be uninstalled unlike on Samsung devices. Also forgot how liberating a micro SD slot can be when I can store my entire Spotify library.

Compared to my iPhone 6 Plus, I actually like the Honor a lot more. Battery life has been great... Somewhere around 5 hours SOT most days. About the only thing I think could be better is the camera. It's pretty crap in low light and the app is God awful. $399 CAD was a great deal.

its a good phone! hope you got a case for it though. its slippery as fuck. will always try to slide off any surface onto the ground.

RuGalz

Battery life on it definitely surprises me. Otoh, there are like 2-3 different places you have to go to ensure an app isn't getting optimized out by their battery saver. There are so many bugs in the EMUI though I hope they get fixed in 5.0. I think they are all memory corruption bugs and plenty of people experience them - auto brightness resets itself for no reason, some apps lose their settings for no reason, map loses gps location and think that I'm in the middle of the ocean. It's a good phone at a discount for sure but I can't wait for Pixel 2.

Futureman

Your apps start auto-playing when connecting to BT? Or do you mean when you ask Google to play a song? If so, you can specify the app.

When I turn my car on it automatically connects to my S7 via Bluetooth and then Google Music starts playing by itself without me touching anything.

I just cleared the queue in Google Music... I'm thinking maybe that's what was auto playing?

Battery life on it definitely surprises me. Otoh, there are like 2-3 different places you have to go to ensure an app isn't getting optimized out by their battery saver. There are so many bugs in the EMUI though I hope they get fixed in 5.0. I think they are all memory corruption bugs and plenty of people experience them - auto brightness resets itself for no reason, some apps lose their settings for no reason, map loses gps location and think that I'm in the middle of the ocean. It's a good phone at a discount for sure but I can't wait for Pixel 2.

Can't say I've had any of those issues except for the auto brightness. I think the algorithm for it just sucks in EMUI 4.1. It's supposedly fixed in the 5.0 beta already.

AndyD

aka andydumi
When I turn my car on it automatically connects to my S7 via Bluetooth and then Google Music starts playing by itself without me touching anything.

I just cleared the queue in Google Music... I'm thinking maybe that's what was auto playing?

Odd. Don't have a S7 but I've never heard of auto-play like that regardless of phone.

I heard EMUI notifications have issues and the lockscreen sucks. Confirm/deny?

I think the notifications issue stems from the EMUI battery manager which kills every app when the screen is locked. You can toggle every app to be a "protected app" if you want but personally, I let it kill everything except IM apps and Gmail.

As for the lockscreen, haven't had any issue with it. I actually rarely see the lockscreen since I rely on the LED light for notifications and if I ever have the phone in my hand already, I just use the fingerprint scanner to unlock.

RuGalz

There isn't notification on lockscreen or maybe it's getting wiped. It just shows the icons of the apps that fired notification.

edit: have to use their app to change lockscreen wallpaper instead of the typical way.

There isn't notification on lockscreen. It just shows the icons of the apps that fired notification and you can't change the wallpaper on lockscreen.

You can change the lockscreen wallpaper, just remove all the default images in the covers button when you slide up from the bottom of the lockscreen. Alternatively, you can create/download an EMUI theme without magazine unlock.

RuGalz

You can change the lockscreen wallpaper, just remove all the default images in the covers button when you slide up from the bottom of the lockscreen. Alternatively, you can create/download an EMUI theme without magazine unlock.

ah so you have to use their gallery app, no wonder it can't be disabled.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Based on my experience with the Mate 9, EMUI 5 is waaaay more liberal with lockscreens and notifications. I haven't missed one yet - but you need to make sure that you tell it to allow notifications.

ElNino

I have the same problem, except for me it's Spotify that starts auto-playing instead of Pocket Casts.

I'll be midway through a podcast during my commute (on the train) when I get to the station and I pause the podcast. I get into the car and the phone (OnePlus 3) connects to BT and Spotify will start playing instead of continuing my podcast. And it might have been weeks since my last time launching Spotify.

It bugs me because I've often started driving by the time it connects and starts playing, so I have to wait until I'm stopped at a light before I grab my phone to stop Spotify and start playing my podcast again.

Blackhead

Redarse

I have the same problem, except for me it's Spotify that starts auto-playing instead of Pocket Casts.

I'll be midway through a podcast during my commute (on the train) when I get to the station and I pause the podcast. I get into the car and the phone (OnePlus 3) connects to BT and Spotify will start playing instead of continuing my podcast. And it might have been weeks since my last time launching Spotify.

It bugs me because I've often started driving by the time it connects and starts playing, so I have to wait until I'm stopped at a light before I grab my phone to stop Spotify and start playing my podcast again.

Change the Default App for audio streaming? Either in the Settings or with an app

Nephix

Just got my Huawei Mate 9 Pro and it's pretty awesome so far but I was under the impression that it would be Daydream compatible from day one, but it's not. :/
Anyone hear anything specific about the update?

ElNino

This is one of Android's mystery's I have yet to crack.
It really is strange behaviour to me. I understand that my vehicle sends a ping to "play" when it switches to BT, but I would expect the phone to always play the app that is currently paused (if there is one) rather than launch an app (Spoify in my case) that hasn't been opened in weeks. Unless there is some playlist in Spotify that stays active all the time, but in my case it usually just plays a random genre radio playlist for my anyways.

Top Bottom