• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

The play music app has a weird bug after latest update. If you put the app in the background for any reason it will disappear from the recent window preventing you from switching back it other than relaunching the app or selecting it from the notification shade. Audio will still play when it disappears.
Even disappears during multi-window and you switch off it

Dammit, they didn't even push the update for Google Keyboard. I didn't even know about it until I checked this thread for the first time in a week. What the hell, Google?

Thank God there's finally dedicated number row after Samsung has had it like 5 years now. That's our Googy, always leading Samsung from behind!

Dobsie

So why is Facebook Messenger Snapchat now, and is there any way to get rid of this? The fact that the Snapchat is activated by scrolling up is driving me nuts.

Wait what? I stopped using FB messenger a while ago. Sounds like it's got too much going on now
Install Facebook lite off apkmirror. It's meant for developing countries where data and internet speeds are low. It doesn't have animated gifs and some of the other bloat but looks 100x better than this new crap.

Jeffrey

cellphone wars are so silly.

both android and ios got issues.

but you are using twitter or your browser or other apps 90% of the time anyways, so the OS really doesn't matter much.

I dont know why I haven't been banned yet.

Those ios guys came out in droves!

Wtf just happened to Osiris? What pushed him over the ledge?

Vanilla will chime in any minute and explain that I'm an asshole and take everything too seriously.

If you are referring to my post about perma banning. I honestly don't really consider most of GAF productive so a perma ban isn't nessesarily a bad thing in my eyes.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Dude has no chill. I think those of us fortunate enough to be able to own flagships for all the major platforms knows all too well that the grass is not always greener on the other side and that phone choice is supremely subjective.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Gboard is amazing. It's a little difficult to make corrections until I started using the space bar to cursor move. It's still a bit difficult but not bad at all.

Kind of wish I had a way to edit my synced up dictionary. I can't see the added words to it. No, it's not personal dictionary on the phone. It's the synced option.

Quasar

Well...my rebooting 5x issue is apparently solved. Deleting basically every non google app aside from a handful of trusted apps and my 5x is now totally rock solid again.

Of course I have no idea who the bad actors were.

M52B28

Banned
Depends on the price. If he can get it for $150 or so it's still a decent option.

The SD801 is still faster than the midrange SD617. And 3GB of RAM is still more than enough, where most phones in the $200 price range only have 2GB.

And if he's not afraid of tinkering, he can easily flash CM14 on it. That phone has a ton of community support.
Good to know. I just made the purchase and the phone should be here in a couple of days.

I only wish it had an AMOLED display. Everything else in it seems to be more than enough, even the CPU and RAM.

All I do on my phone is general stuff like browsing this forum/various sites, Facebook, YouTube and phonecalls. I don't play games on phones, so that's not a problem.

LeleSocho

Banned
I dont know why I haven't been banned yet.

Those ios guys came out in droves!

Oh please... you can't lament about people getting on you when the sixth post of a thread where op already made an OS choice is a more refined version of "lol u r dumb because you didn't get a Pixel"

this_guy

Oh please... you can't lament about people getting on you when the sixth post of a thread where op already made an OS choice is a more refined version of "lol u r dumb because you didn't get a Pixel"

The amazing thing is he truly believes he didn't derail the thread, it's the people responding to his posts that are derailing the thread.

Gboard is amazing. It's a little difficult to make corrections until I started using the space bar to cursor move. It's still a bit difficult but not bad at all.

Kind of wish I had a way to edit my synced up dictionary. I can't see the added words to it. No, it's not personal dictionary on the phone. It's the synced option.

I think they need to reduce the size of the number row a bit, like how the Samsung keyboard looks. At least there is a number row now.

Doesn't the synced dictionary just look at your emails in Gmail and add words it found there? Doesn't seem like it needs editing, but I also don't use my Gmail as my primary email account.

Nova launcher is back to a dollar if you still haven't bought it yet.

That's like 3 surveys

I haven't gotten a survey in like 3 months now. I have no idea what happened. :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just don't want it using everything. For example, it uses BST, which is the GAF Buy Sell Trade nickname. I'd rather it not think that a word.

Bboy AJ

Remember when leaks of the Pixel were coming out and people were like, "Just like the 6P, you're hating the leaks but when it drops, you'll come around to how great it looks"? Well, it's been a bit since launch and the phone still looks like trash.

Remember when leaks of the Pixel were coming out and people were like, "Just like the 6P, you're hating the leaks but when it drops, you'll come around to how great it looks"? Well, it's been a bit since launch and the phone still looks like trash.
I always thought the 6P looked great in the leaks and renders. I think the Pixel looks really good with a black front. Ugly as hell in white. Honestly, I think all devices look better in black.

It's a leftover HTC design that they reheated in the microwave, of course it looks like trash. If I wanted giant bezels on my phone, I would just buy an iPhone.

RoKKeR

Agreed. Hope next year's is better as I'm eying that as my next phone.

FFP2

Jesus, the S7 gets so hot when making a TWRP backup. Literally couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds.

Also, thanks to everyone who told me how to update without losing root. Finally getting around to doing it.

S8 event "pushed back" to April.

Just remember who told you guys it's releasing a ~month later than the S7 first :p

I'll give google the benefit of the doubt on this one if the rumours of them losing Huawei and then being forced to do this in 9 months are true. If the Pixel 2 isn't a notable update on the design front I'll kind of lose faith. It's not bad but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Mindwipe

I'm holding off until March to buy a new phone. Might have to go Samsung just for the triple tap shrink gesture - if that were in stock it would make things a lot easier.

i still don't get how people can say they like the look with a straight face.

Jeffrey

i feel like people should hold off phone purchases now until SD835 phone benchmarks are out.

well unless you are going cheap and don't care about specs.

teiresias

Question, because I'm confused.

Is Google Music included with YouTube Red but not vice versa?

Basically, do I have to explicitly sign up for YouTube Red to get Google Music included or will signing up for Music also get me both?

Piano

Banned
Cross posting from Reddit, hoping to get some help:

I've got a Droid Turbo, and manually updated it to Android 6.0 Marshmallow earlier today (it's rooted and thus I don't take OTA updates). Before updating I backed everything up with Titanium Backup and wiped my phone, as I've done in the past. Upon booting into the ROM I restored all of my apps & data, which reinstalled Google Messenger (the SMS app I use) along with all of my text messages.

However, upon opening Messenger it starts systematically deleting all of my text messages. It has all of my texts for a few seconds, but then I watch as it starts marching backwards through time, deleting all of my texts from the two years I've had this phone. The most recent text goes from being today, to a week ago, to November, back into last summer, 2015, etc.

I've tried all of the obvious things - I've disabled the other SMS programs, restarted my phone, etc. Every time I restore the data to Messenger it does the same thing - showing everything to start and then automatically deleting everything over a few minutes.

I presume this is caused by some incongruity between Messenger's history of my texts and the history of texts somewhere else on the phone, but I'm not really sure what else to do. It's so strange, especially since I've gone through wipes / updates before without this happening. I've tried several SMS Backup/Restore apps after restoring the data (before Messenger deletes it all) and they all list my phone as having zero messages / conversations to back up. This further reinforces my theory, I guess.

So what can I do? I'd rather not lose two years of texts - even a plaintext backup would be nice at this point.

THANKS GAF.

EDIT: Okay, I've done some more digging and here's what I've figured out. Essentially while I backed up and restored the Messenger apps database file (bugle.db and bugle.db-journal) I failed to back up the system's mmssms.db, stored in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/. When Messenger boots up it sees this incongruity and tries to rectify it by deleting all messages the mmssms.db doesn't have a record of.

I have tried a few different things, all to no avail. Replacing the mmssms.db databases with those from Messenger (bugle.db, renamed in order to overwrite) stops the app from cannibalizing the messages but causes it to crash upon opening a message thread. Deleting the databases altogether has the same effect.

The question is - is there some way to migrate the bugle.db into mmssms.db?
Or is there some way to stop Messenger from consulting mmssms.db long enough to allow backing up messages?
Or is there some other way / program with which to read Messenger's bugle.db?

EDIT 2: I've discovered that I can open the bugle.db in SQLdatabase software such as DB Browser. I've figured out how to browse the list of conversations and a massive dump of every text message but haven't yet figured out an efficient way of exporting each conversation thread as an xml file or something similar. From googling around it seems like there IS a way, but I need to know more than I do about SQL databases.

Does anyone know how to make sense of these mms/sms.db files in an SQL database environment and organize them into .xml files? I may repost this separately seeing as the question has changed considerably.

Top Bottom