• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Volotaire

Looking to buy a budget phone for my sister. I've been wanting to purchase the Moto G4 (usually £150, on sale usually £120 - 130).

But, something else has caught my eye. The Xperia XA is £80 on sale (very cheap). Good RAM, sufficient screen resolution, ok camera. Seems to have a poor CPU and battery life. Any thoughts?

wilflare

the new battery in my 6P doesn't seem to make it any better... SOT still isn't amazing :/

not sure if it's an app I've installed but the boot-up seemed to have slowed down... and the clock widget is stuck on "loading" upon startup for a few moments

Hasney

It's not an Android exclusive thing, with iPhones screen death and being shit after 2 years due to software too. And that's not a "Look over there, they're shit too!" type of thing, but just that these companies aren't thinking long term when they design a phone. Just stick a bunch of shit in an attractive case and make sure it lasts at least a couple of years. Anything after that is a bonus.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's not an Android exclusive thing, with iPhones screen death and being shit after 2 years due to software too. And that's not a "Look over there, they're shit too!" type of thing, but just that these companies aren't thinking long term when they design a phone. Just stick a bunch of shit in an attractive case and make sure it lasts at least a couple of years. Anything after that is a bonus.
It's really quite annoying. I just want my Nexus 6P to work like it did at its best. If I read the morning news for an hour and nothing else, I'm at like 40% by 3 pm. Unacceptable. Fast charging is the only life saver for using the phone at night.

andthebeatgoeson

Not even just phones. Nothing lasts for a long time, like it did in the past. I bought my oldest kid 3-4 alarm clocks and they have all shit the bed, within a year or two. The best alarm clock is your phone. It should be easy to make an alarm clock but you probably have to research it. It's a $10 device.

And washer and dryers? My mom still has the ones we got when we moved to sw philly back in 1988. And they work great. You'll be lucky to find great appliances that don't require a new circuit board in 5 years.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
the new battery in my 6P doesn't seem to make it any better... SOT still isn't amazing :/

not sure if it's an app I've installed but the boot-up seemed to have slowed down... and the clock widget is stuck on "loading" upon startup for a few moments
I'm easily hitting around 6h of SOT these days -_-

The thing that is usually shit after 2 years is the battery, because they have limited lifespans.

Good thing my Note 4 has a user-replaceable battery. It's going on 2 years already, I need to think about popping a new one in sometime. Otherwise it works better than the day I bought it because I bought in at 5.0.1 and I'm now on 6.0.1.

It's sad that the Note 4 will never get 7.x because it would literally be the forever phone then. Samsung knows it too, every Note after the 4 has been fucked up in one way or another. Hell, the 7 literally explodes. They cannot possibly fuck the Note line up any more than that. Right?

Hasney

It's really quite annoying. I just want my Nexus 6P to work like it did at its best. If I read the morning news for an hour and nothing else, I'm at like 40% by 3 pm. Unacceptable. Fast charging is the only life saver for using the phone at night.

Not even just phones. Nothing lasts for a long time, like it did in the past. I bought my oldest kid 3-4 alarm clocks and they have all shit the bed, within a year or two. The best alarm clock is your phone. It should be easy to make an alarm clock but you probably have to research it. It's a $10 device.

And washer and dryers? My mom still has the ones we got when we moved to sw philly back in 1988. And they work great. You'll be lucky to find great appliances that don't require a new circuit board in 5 years.

Fuck this conversation we're having. I directly blame it for my Nexus 6P's volume rocker stopping working immediately after talking about shit breaking. It was working on the way to work a couple of hours ago...

andthebeatgoeson

Fuck this conversation we're having. I directly blame it for my Nexus 6P's volume rocker stopping working immediately after talking about shit breaking. It was working on the way to work a couple of hours ago...
Hold this L. You gave hundreds of dollars to a company and their product can't last more than 2 years. We all hold this L. Aliens don't come to this planet because they think we are stupid. And they are right.

Hasney

Aliens don't come to this planet because I would whoop them at Hearthstone at MAX VOLUME.

Anyway, the button seems intact and all the search results seem to be for bent volume rockers, it's just not responding. Might see if it's software and wipe it tonight.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Aliens don't come to this planet because I would whoop them at Hearthstone at MAX VOLUME.

Anyway, the button seems intact and all the search results seem to be for bent volume rockers, it's just not responding. Might see if it's software and wipe it tonight.
Reboot? How about software volume control?

Bboy AJ

Reboot did nothing, volume in settings is fine so it likely is hardware. Buggery.
Give it a hard couple of whacks or run a thin needle around the button. Got nothing to lose now since it's already busted.

Hasney

Yeah, trying all that. It's still under warranty, but I may have to send it off for a repair and I'm going away tomorrow, so I'm likely just going to have to put up with this for a few days and get it sorted when I come back.

Nephix

Man, Android has come a LONG way since back when I had my Galaxy S3 and decided to go iOS. Everything is so incredibly smooth and you can actually do stuff with your phone.
Oh and for anyone worried about the new Huawei phones still having Emotion UI - it has to be very close to stock android now because I hated it before but kind of like it now.

Is now just the worst time to buy a flagship? I've still been considering the Samsung Galaxy S7 or LG G5. And I've seen both in person as well. But they're all so old now.
S7 is really nice, that's for sure. Feels great. Looks great. Screen can burn in, I guess. But demo models are probably more susceptible to that anyways. But it's a gorgeous screen otherwise. I'm not a fan of the back button being on the right though.
LG G5 looks great too. Seems to have a good grip too. It felt kind of limiting to only have the volume buttons as the only physical buttons. But the fingerprint sensor on the back would end up being the main button, I suppose. And the button did sound kind of clicky and feel a bit loose. My concern would be if I buy now, would whatever ticking time bomb inside it go off a few months later?

Mindwipe

Is now just the worst time to buy a flagship? I've still been considering the Samsung Galaxy S7 or LG G5. And I've seen both in person as well. But they're all so old now.
S7 is really nice, that's for sure. Feels great. Looks great. Screen can burn in, I guess. But demo models are probably more susceptible to that anyways. But it's a gorgeous screen otherwise. I'm not a fan of the back button being on the right though.
LG G5 looks great too. Seems to have a good grip too. It felt kind of limiting to only have the volume buttons as the only physical buttons. But the fingerprint sensor on the back would end up being the main button, I suppose. And the button did sound kind of clicky and feel a bit loose. My concern would be if I buy now, would whatever ticking time bomb inside it go off a few months later?

I'd probably hold off on the S7 tbh. The S8 will be getting announced in two months, and there are certainly rumours that it will have software buttons which might enable the back button on the right to be configurable.

Vic

we are like polar opposites.. and I remember having this conversation before

okay there is some improvement, at 23% it hit 3hr 47mins SOT.

are you not using LTE or something
Nah, LTE is always on. Same with Wi-Fi.

Hold on, around 20% per hour is pretty decent.

ElNino

did you check out the app?
Check out which app? PocketCast? It's still "active" on the home screen when I connect to the car, even if Spotify is started instead of it. So I have to stop Spotify and close it, and then start PocketCasts again. That's not a difficult thing to do in general, but when I've just started driving, the last thing I want to do is pick up my phone.

thenexus6

My Sister got a Wileyfox Swift 2 for Christmas, it arrived this afternoon and I am just setting it up now so we don't have to waste time doing so Sunday.

This is a nice phone, really solid premium heft and feel to it. Finger print reader is fast and accurate.

I'll see how she gets on with it over the months and maybe i'l get myself one in the future.

So, it has finally happened. Bricked my phone in the washer, so I'm on the market for a new phone. I'm making the switch over to Android this time around, and as such, I'm not really familiar with the landscape. I'm looking to spend somewhere around 300 euros, because I tend to buy midrange and still go years and years with it anyway.

Currently, my mind is pretty set on the Huawei P9 Lite. From what I'm gathering, it's pretty good for the price. That being said though, why I'm here is to inquire as to whether or not there are better choices out there. So anyone has some thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

this_guy

So, it has finally happened. Bricked my phone in the washer, so I'm on the market for a new phone. I'm making the switch over to Android this time around, and as such, I'm not really familiar with the landscape. I'm looking to spend somewhere around 300 euros, because I tend to buy midrange and still go years and years with it anyway.

Currently, my mind is pretty set on the Huawei P9 Lite. From what I'm gathering, it's pretty good for the price. That being said though, why I'm here is to inquire as to whether or not there are better choices out there. So anyone has some thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

Is the Honor 8 available in your region? The Honor 8 is a cheaper version of the P9 (without going lower specc'ed like the P9 Lite).

The OnePlus 3 and 3T, ZTE Axon 7 and Honor 8 were all great midrange-priced phones this year with flagship comparable specs.

I'd probably hold off on the S7 tbh. The S8 will be getting announced in two months, and there are certainly rumours that it will have software buttons which might enable the back button on the right to be configurable.
Announced in 2 months, but when would the release be? I think I can wait out another 2 months if that's the case. And then I wouldn't mind paying the ridiculously high price it will inevitably have. Unless they actually remove the headphone jack. Then it's a no-go.

Is the Honor 8 available in your region? The Honor 8 is a cheaper version of the P9 (without going lower specc'ed like the P9 Lite).

The OnePlus 3 and 3T, ZTE Axon 7 and Honor 8 were all great midrange-priced phones this year with flagship comparable specs.

The only one that seems to be available here is the ZTE Axon 7 mini.

you should get a water resistant phone.

Mindwipe

Announced in 2 months, but when would the release be? I think I can wait out another 2 months if that's the case. And then I wouldn't mind paying the ridiculously high price it will inevitably have. Unless they actually remove the headphone jack. Then it's a no-go.

March or April by previous history. If nothing else the price of the S7 will probably fall dramatically once the new model is announced.

Fbh

Gold Member
Guys, quick (probably stupid) question.
So I have this Samsung Tablet with Android 6.0.1

I got a 64 gb SD card today but I can't get apps to really move to it.
I know not all apps allow to be moved to the SD card but several do, yet despite me "moving" them it's like they are only transfering a tiny part of themselves.

For example:

Under aplication manager I go to Lara Croft Go (which is about 500mb) I move it to the SD card, it transfers ok and then it says "using 500mb of the external storage".
Yet if I go to the storage tab on the settings menu it will tell me that only 30mb are in use. Meanwhle the internal storage doesn't free up.

And it's the same with every app. I just moved 1.5gb worth of apps to the SD card yet in the storage menu it's showing that I'm only using 120mb on the card.
I understand that mabye you can't move the entire app to the external storage and that some files might need to be stored internally. But less than 10%? come on!

wilflare

Nah, LTE is always on. Same with Wi-Fi.

Hold on, around 20% per hour is pretty decent.

that's with the new battery so I guess...
is anyone using Camera NX for the Zero Shutter Lag?

btw Vic - do you turn off location history, scanning and OK Google detection? some have fantastic SOT even with those options on :/

Vic

that's with the new battery so I guess...
is anyone using Camera NX for the Zero Shutter Lag?

btw Vic - do you turn off location history, scanning and OK Google detection? some have fantastic SOT even with those options on :/
Location history is on. Scanning, which I suppose is Wi-Fi scanning, is on. OK Google is off.

Vic

hmm. interesting. what about Bluetooth? so you practically have everything on but still enjoy solid SOT.

ambient sensor?
I never use Bluetooth these days so it's always disabled. Ambient sensor is on. Btw, I do have a custom rom installed with a custom kernel but I'm pretty sure I was averaging 5h SOT on stock anyway. Naturally I hit around 4h SOT if I game a lot or if I use Maps extensively.

wilflare

I never use Bluetooth these days so it's always disabled. Ambient sensor is on. Btw, I do have a custom rom installed with a custom kernel but I'm pretty sure I was averaging 5h SOT on stock anyway. Naturally I hit around 4h SOT if I game a lot or if I use Maps extensively.

oh that explains I guess.
what about Bluetooth Scanning? that is off as well?

Vic

oh that explains I guess.
what about Bluetooth Scanning? that is off as well?
Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning are off. This functionality always eat my original Moto X battery so I just don't like to keep it activated.

wilflare

Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning are off. This functionality always eat my original Moto X battery so I just don't like to keep it activated.

eh. didn't you just mention you have WiFi scanning on? or do you mean you keep WiFi on even when you have no networks connected.

edit: anyone using Pyrope or Tugabrowser? wish they were more updated.

Top Bottom