• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

No Love

Banned
What advantage does Titanium and Helium over just backing up your phone with your Google account anyways?

Backing up with your Google account for apps sucks. If the settings are causing wakelocks it will transfer to your new device/install which means you can have issues follow you.

Backing up with your Google account for apps sucks. If the settings are causing wakelocks it will transfer to your new device/install which means you can have issues follow you.

I've always wondered how iPhone backups are so perfect considering stuff like this. One would think a factory reset and restore with an iPhone is just a guarantee your bringing the same issue back you tried to fix.

this_guy

do Android phones still generally have notification LEDs? I loved that on my Galaxy Nexus but I've been iPhone ever since.

I like Motorola's Active Display notification system and it seems both Samsung and LG copied it with their own versions of Always On display.

longdi

Banned
Damn looks real nice. I expect that half edge on the side to become common in the coming years. Maybe not to that extreme but similar; think of Sony XA ultra. Wonder if the rumor of it using an RGB OLED are true or not

RGB OLED will be a BIG thing for text.
As good as S7e 2K OLED is, the lack of RGB makes text looks no better than even my old 1080p Z2 IPS screen.
Even LG OLED 4K TV dont look as sharp as 4K LCD screen....

And with that dies the little hope I had for Qi charging coming back to the Nexus line. Just great.

Fast wireless charging + water resistance is pretty great combo for my S7e.
Plugging dangling wires is so last gen

clav

Don't know if posters are talking about video or pictures though.

Pictures seem to do OK.

Videos has always been suspect.

Saiyan-Rox

In case anyone still has one the OP2 Marshmallow source dropped and Official CM13 is a go

A little late but at least people can jump to CM now

i probably won't root my next phone. i really don't need it anymore outside of TB and i could always switch to Helium.

I haven't rooted in years, thanks to a work policy regarding our email software. I don't miss it, my phone does what it needs (short of easy 100% backups, which I only need when I switch phones).

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, since Galaxy S3 I never rooted my Android phones either. I have file management, good sync options, most (if not all) useful features, and, just like said above, you can even disable bloat softwares, even though they will still take a minor portion of your storage. I think the way stock Android works today is pretty awesome.

Noema

My nexus 6 has been rooted since the day I got it. I'm running the Pure Nexus ROM and a custom kernel. Really missed all the niceties when I ran the N beta.

I get much better performance, control and battery life (nothing like getting 6 hours SoT without having to disable anything) with the custom ROM+kernel. Plus nowadays with stuff like TWRP rooting and flashing is so easy and quick.

My IT guy at work used to root for no reason but got tired of the complications with it.

Then he told himself android requires too much tinkering and switched to an iPhone because it just works.

clav

My IT guy at work used to root for no reason but got tired of the complications with it.

Then he told himself android requires too much tinkering and switched to an iPhone because it just works.

Hear this story a lot. It's not unusual.

I don't root. I install custom recovery (which does not require root) to put CM since Samsung stopped updating the phone.

One reason why I held off on a new phone.

The other IT story is buying Nexus phones only because of driver support.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Ha, so dumb. I know why I used to tinker with my Android phone back in the day. Battery life was a constant struggle and functions were more limited. But today? Nah.

Last time I rooted was my HTC Aria. lol.
lol

HTC-Aria-10.jpg

kami_sama

At last! OP has released the final version of Marshmallow.
Still a lot later than I though possible, but well, at least it has the June security update.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Samsung iPhone 6... 3 years later.

Top Bottom