• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

If the back is still made of all glass, no thanks.

Seen too many drop tests on the Galaxy S6 + S7.

Yeah. If there is one thing I noticed while looking for these phones on eBay (Xperia, S6 and S7), it's the amount of phones with broken glass backs. Also lot of broken Edge models.

Saiyan-Rox

I mean, yeah. We said initally that it's just a plastic more comfortable version of Cardboard. The original one without the button.

You say more comfortable but its really not for me lol my nose hurts bad D:

But yeah also couldn't find any good quality vids to watch so I'll use it to watch the OP3 launch try and buy a phone and that'll be it.

clav

Yeah. If there is one thing I noticed while looking for these phones on eBay (Xperia, S6 and S7), it's the amount of phones with broken glass backs. Also lot of broken Edge models.

The irony is you can drop the S7 in the pool, but it won't survive a drop to the ground.

Already bad enough smartphone screens crack. Does the rest of the phone need that feature? No.

put your phones in case. this things are expensive i do not know how people expect them to survive. If you want rugged phone samsung has active variation of same phones for a reason.

put your phones in case. this things are expensive i do not how people expect them to survive. If you want rugged phone samsung has active variation of same phones for a reason.
Pretty much. If you're clumsy throw it in a case otherwise I don't know what you expect to happen when it hits the pavement. I mean, glass is fragile, but metal phones are still going to get scuffed and damaged if they get dropped.

clav

put your phones in case. this things are expensive i do not how people expect them to survive. If you want rugged phone samsung has active variation of same phones for a reason.

I expected this response. My Galaxy S3 phone still works thanks to plastic build.

Those phones are carrier exclusive.

Pretty much. If you're clumsy throw it in a case otherwise I don't know what you expect to happen when it hits the pavement. I mean, glass is fragile, but metal phones are still going to get scuffed and damaged if they get dropped.

Then why do people keep describing them as "premium build" when really the correct phrase is "fragile build"?

Why even bother with glass when it's wrapped in plastic cases?

Scuffs are better than cracked.

Metal body is much better than glass body.

Groof

i once dropped my 6p down a flight of stairs while drunk and it survived with only some cosmetic damage on the corners.

reKon

Banned
Why is the iPhone being brought up again in terms of design, especially if the Note ends up using a glass back. We've already gone through the whole similarity thing with the Galaxy S7 (metal frame). If you're trying to be funny, you're not.

clav

Why is the iPhone being brought up again in terms of design, especially if the Note ends up using a glass back. We've already gone through the whole similarity thing with the Galaxy S7 (metal frame). If you're trying to be funny, you're not.

Who said anything about iPhone? Just because someone makes a comparison, you immediately think iPhone?

HTC 10 uses materials that are not glass-back. Same with the LG G5, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P.

Noticing comments from people who RMA their latest Galaxy phones for drops.

I expected this response. My Galaxy S3 phone still works thanks to plastic build.

Those phones are carrier exclusive.

Then why do people keep describing them as "premium build" when really the correct phrase is "fragile build"?

I never gave shit about looks. Nokia phones that i still have look like brick. They are awesome.

I agree with you. I even like plastic honestly. I like practicality more than esthetics.

S5 is still amazing.

Scuffs or cracked back regardless they both are ugly and unsightly. between the two I'd rather have a glass backed phone though because then you can at least get Qi wireless charging which hasn't been an option with metal phones. I know Qualcomm worked on something related to that, but that fact that no phone has used it yet leaves me to assume it isn't viable yet.

That being said I would still most likely prefer a quality interchangeable plastic back as opposed to either glass or metal. That's one thing Microsoft did right with the Lumia 950. It had a good feeling back to it and you could switch it out to another color/feel or one of the wood/leather options that Mozo made. That's an option more phone makers should be looking into.

Hasney

Are the updates on the N preview is the next preview build? And will there be a p4 or it's too close to October for one more

This is the schedule for N:

June: Android N developer preview 4 (with final APIs and SDK)
July: Android N developer preview 5 (near-final build)
August/September: Final Android 7.0 AOSP build

reKon

Banned
Who said anything about iPhone? Just because someone makes a comparison, you immediately think iPhone?

HTC 10 uses materials that are not glass-back. Same with the LG G5, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P.

Noticing comments from people who RMA their latest Galaxy phones for drops.

There were a couple of recent posts before mine that literally mention iPhone lol

Hasney

Don't like the usb-c only port.

Heard bad things about the Robin, mostly cloud related. Maybe the small version of the Moto G4?

Motorola have turned to a big pile of shit since Lenovo. Their customer service rivals OnePlus on the horrible scale and they don't even bother updating their phones anymore.

What's the problem with the USB-C port? Are you planning to stop buying phones after 2017 when it becomes totally standard?

im_dany

So, I'm looking for a phone. 5 inches, near stock android, and good battery life.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for one too, I decided I'm done with Windows and want to try an Android.

For about the same price I saw:
Nexus 5X 32GB (would've bought the 16GB one in a heartbeat if it had an sd port, I can buy the 32GB one for about 250€ which is about cheap)
Huawei Mate S (costs 40€ more, non stock Android though, but more ram if that's actually useful)
LG G3 (it's older, often sold as carrier branded but that shouldn't be a big problem I think)

I don't care for dual sim, LTE is a must, 1080p is probably nice (but you can talk me out of this if it's a battery drainer), must not become useless in one year (I usually keep my phones for atleast 3-4 years and it's the first time I want to throw one out of the windows this soon, damn you Lumia 535).

Futureman

I should probably just wait until the fall to see the new Nexuses and iPhones but I'm feeling the itch to get a new phone right now.

LG G5 and iPhone 6S are $1 on two-year contract at Best Buy right now. Also strongly considering a 5X with Google Fi.

Sou Da

I should probably just wait until the fall to see the new Nexuses and iPhones but I'm feeling the itch to get a new phone right now.

LG G5 and iPhone 6S are $1 on two-year contract at Best Buy right now. Also strongly considering a 5X with Google Fi.
Yeah that fi deal looks plenty appealing. Any experience with fi here?

You should wait and do the 2016 Nexus with Project Fi.

Futureman

You should wait and do the 2016 Nexus with Project Fi.

I love the look of the 5X though and it's currently super cheap. I'm a little afraid Google will only release an update to the 6P or something this fall. 5X is pretty much the perfect size for me.

Yea I'll probably wait unless my 5S breaks before then.

Hasney

I love the look of the 5X though and it's currently super cheap. I'm a little afraid Google will only release an update to the 6P or something this fall. 5X is pretty much the perfect size for me.

Sounds like both HTC and Huawei have a Nexus cooking, so there should be one each again.

There's two Nexus phones coming according to the rumors. The 5x really isn't future proof (battery/processing hence the price)

Seriously Fi has been pretty outstanding though.

Futureman

cool. I'll wait then.

I hope HTC is making the smaller Nexus. I really liked the HTC 10 when I played around with it today. Though I guess the 6P is pretty awesome too but I just don't like how big it is.

reKon

Banned
cool. I'll wait then.

I hope HTC is making the smaller Nexus. I really liked the HTC 10 when I played around with it today. Though I guess the 6P is pretty awesome too but I just don't like how big it is.

El Goog just needs to add in a one handed mode. Not sure there's a good way for it be activated on Nexus phones though. On Samsung phones it works well with the triple of the home button shortcut.

apple seems to be saving the big iphone update to next year so you should probably just wait and get one of the HTC nexuses this year.

Google says they're gonna take a lot more control over that shit so maybe they will be worth their price this time.

Noema

What launcher is good right now?, I used Arrow Launcher for a while but it has become sluggish over time.

Nova.

Super fast. Super customizable. It can look just like Google Now; it can look completely different. Gestures. Night Mode. Enhanced action widgets.

giphy.gif

Noema

What do you mean be "enhanced action widgets"?

You can set a Nova widget called "Nova Activity" (by action in my previous post I meant 'Activity', sorry) which in turn calls for certain tasks that can be performed by certain apps.

For example, I can set an activity widget (in this case, activities.ShareReceiverActivity) so that when I tap it, I can create a quick Google Keep note without having to enter the actual Google Keep App. I can even assign a gesture to it, such as double tapping the desktop or swiping up on the Keep icon.

Many of these activities are usually hidden from the user and cannot normally be accessed via the regular Android UI. For example, some dude discovered that you can actually invoke the Android TV UI for certain apps like Play Music.

You can set a Nova widget called "Nova Activity" (by action in my previous post I meant 'Activity', sorry) which in turn calls for certain tasks that can be performed by certain apps.

For example, I can set an activity widget (in this case, activities.ShareReceiverActivity) so that when I tap it, I can create a quick Google Keep note without having to enter the actual Google Keep App. I can even assign a gesture to it, such as double tapping the desktop or swiping up on the Keep icon.

Many of these activities are usually hidden from the user and cannot normally be accessed via the regular Android UI. For example, some dude discovered that you can actually invoke the Android TV UI for certain apps like Play Music.
Ah yeah, I know about activities. I don't make much use of them anymore, but your post really makes me think I should.

Or just look after your stuff properly.

that can work if your item is stationary like desktop. Mobile are bound to fall or get scratch. Things happen. Unless you are rich or do not care i think protecting such expensive electronics item make sense. Different people different taste though so i understand.

One of the big reason why i do not give shit about looks is that to achieve that phone manufacturer are giving up practicality and features. I want giant ass battery and lens in phone not a paper thin phone. I want replaceable battery and easy to repair phone. I will put phone in giant case any ways.This does not mean that I do not want thin or beautiful phone but I want technology to catch up to provide same or better user experience with beauty at same time.

I have case like below for g3. It is awesome.

81WHStIljDL._SX425_.jpg

Top Bottom