• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

OP3T or Pixel XL

Never really into the plus one..

And the pixel xl seem underwhelming for the price.

too late.

can't legally buy it.

Sucks i really thought the i could replace the great note 4 for a true note.

I had the xperia z5 premium, just for the 4k screen. That thing made me quit sony. Sluggish, lots of flaws and camera is slow..at least its battery is still ok.

Using a lg v20..its pretty beastly in terms of everything but dayam its an ugly phone with an ugly ui.

The iphone 7 plus seem to be better than all current android phone right now though...

What app can I get for my Samsung s6 and my sons samsung tab e, his tablet doesn't have a similar card in it, so I can send him a message over WiFi? I don't use Facebook so their messenger is out of the question. Is WhatsApp possible?

Noema

What app can I get for my Samsung s6 and my sons samsung tab e, his tablet doesn't have a similar card in it, so I can send him a message over WiFi? I don't use Facebook so their messenger is out of the question. Is WhatsApp possible?

Whatsapp won't work on the tablet since it has to be tied to a SIM card number.

Hangouts is your best bet.

Thanks for the replies. I managed to set up Google hangouts. It just confused me when the app asked for a phone number for authentication, which I couldn't do with his tablet.
yeah I misread because you can always just put your cell phone number there and then use the tablet but I didn't realize your son might not have a number of his own to use

hangouts is good though. Maybe one day Allo will not suck either and we could all use that instead.

Sup brehs

Looking to get a new phone. Currently have a lg g3 with CM14 and the screen is crapping out, the insurance to replace it is $150 so I figured I might as well get a new phone.

Looking in the $200-$300 range, new or refurbished. I see some really good prices on the g4 and v10 but after doing a bit of research there looks to be a boot loop issue that's really prevelant.

What devices do you guys recommend?

Sup brehs

Looking to get a new phone. Currently have a lg g3 with CM14 and the screen is crapping out, the insurance to replace it is $150 so I figured I might as well get a new phone.

Looking in the $200-$300 range, new or refurbished. I see some really good prices on the g4 and v10 but after doing a bit of research there looks to be a boot loop issue that's really prevelant.

are you american? If you're willing to spend a teency bit more to get something more modern that doesn't totally suck:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FUF1EL8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Baller

Even though I technically have a 2015 Samsung TV on a whim I searched the app store on my TV yesterday.

Boom Google Play Movies app was available.

Seems to only do 1080p for now, but that's fine. At this point I basically don't even need my gen 1 Chromecast anymore.

Would a tempered glass screen protector mess with the touch of a Nexus 5x at all? I use Gboard and am finding that lately more and more that my swipe typing is predicting a bit off or is adding words that are so far from what I was intending for.

I don't know if the tempered glass is affecting it, Gboard swiping sucks, or if my swiping is just not good enough. I do find that the keyboard, in one handed mode is still a bit too wide. Could that also be the culprit?

Any ideas on if this is just dumb me user error or something more? Any keyboard recommendations for good swipe typing? Thanks much!

....Mate 9? 🤔

Hmmm..very interesting spec

Underwhelming phone for 900+ ..

I think android phone camera performance already plateau. They pretty much perform the same and varies from the way each brand process the image. The pictures looks good but they seem to look fakish in lowlight. There is no way they can ever beat the 1" sensor point and shoot, ex. Sony rx100 and canon g7x series..

oh damn welcome back SS

What's the latest on that Mii Mix? Still unattainable?

Wow! Looks cool! But looks awkward to use...

I agree that pixel should be better for what it costs but after using one it's impossible to deny that it's the best all around experience android has to offer. The optimization/smoothness is unrivaled. Camera is best in class. Getting updates right away and google assistant and whatever else....imo it's the best android experience out there. You can get a phone spec'd higher in every way and won't be as fluid.

Jeffrey

I agree that pixel should be better for what it costs but after using one it's impossible to deny that it's the best all around experience android has to offer. The optimization/smoothness is unrivaled. Camera is best in class. Getting updates right away and google assistant and whatever else....imo it's the best android experience out there. You can get a phone spec'd higher in every way and won't be as fluid.

dont know. friend who has a pixel mentions that the OS still has occasional bugs, launcher crashes occasionally, and its quite aggressive with memory management. Still has some kinks.

OP3T should be smoother and quicker than the pixel xl (lower res helps). Pixel is still the best option for 'smoothness' and good camera though.

JackDT

So it seems like the best value Android deal by far is to buy the international edition of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (so called 'Kate' edition) then do a bunch of android voodoo to wipe out the crappy vendor rom that is probably installed on it and restore either the Xiaomi original ROM or Cyanogen. This gives you a nice 5.5 inch phone with battery life that blows away every single phone you can buy in the US -- including the the Moto Z -- for about $160 shipped. 4000 mAH battery combined with a the very efficient Snapdragon 650 does that I guess. Downside is the camera is crap. Other Xiaomi phones aren't an option because they generally don't support the right frequencies.

Has anyone here done this? I've never done anything under the hood of an Android phone and searching for a guide turns up too many results that it's hard to judge what exactly is going on here. For me it's not so much the dollar value as having that combination of battery + low power SOC giving you okay performance with insane battery life -- would love to just use my phone and never worry about it. But nervous without seeing a super clear and precise guide telling me *exactly* what to do with roms and whatnot.

M3_note-Redmi_Note_3-System-PCMark_Battery.png

this_guy

So it seems like the best value Android deal by far is to buy the international edition of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (so called 'Kate' edition) then do a bunch of android voodoo to wipe out the crappy vendor rom that is probably installed on it and restore either the Xiaomi original ROM or Cyanogen. This gives you a nice 5.5 inch phone with battery life that blows away every single phone you can buy in the US -- including the the Moto Z -- for about $160 shipped. 4000 mAH battery combined with a the very efficient Snapdragon 650 does that I guess. Downside is the camera is crap. Other Xiaomi phones aren't an option because they generally don't support the right frequencies.

Has anyone here done this? I've never done anything under the hood of an Android phone and searching for a guide turns up too many results that it's hard to judge what exactly is going on here. For me it's not so much the dollar value as having that combination of battery + low power SOC giving you okay performance with insane battery life -- would love to just use my phone and never worry about it. But nervous without seeing a super clear and precise guide telling me *exactly* what to do with roms and whatnot.

M3_note-Redmi_Note_3-System-PCMark_Battery.png

I wouldn't buy it because it won't have all the LTE bands for AT&T or T-Mobile. Your reception will suffer depending on your location and bad reception is horrible for battery life.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I need my iPhone SE to hurry up and unlock so I can ship my 6P for repair. Should just be another 24 hours, I hope.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm not familiar with iOS's vpn setup but the way it works on Android isn't that heavy unless they do something really stupid.

Yeah Adguard are lol. My other vpnblockers use an 'vpn on demand' so only 'redirect' for the http addresses that are ads. Adguard claims to do the same but it's acting on my device as full blown VPN all the time. That's the battery killer. It's a shame as it's the only iOS app that offer both the safari content blocker and vpn+blocking (which I need for other apps like kijiji) but I'll have to stop using it for now

RuGalz

Yeah Adguard are lol. My other vpnblockers use an 'vpn on demand' so only 'redirect' for the http addresses that are ads. Adguard claims to do the same but it's acting on my device as full blown VPN all the time. That's the battery killer. It's a shame as it's the only iOS app that offer both the safari content blocker and vpn+blocking (which I need for other apps like kijiji) but I'll have to stop using it for now

full time vpn by itself doesn't cause much battery drain on Android. do you lose a lot of sot with adguard on? (again you can't simply go by battery managers numbers) I certainly don't. The battery saved by not displaying ads outweighs the battery needed to run vpn.

Are there any good unlocked android phones that you can get for around $150?

My OPO is probably about to shit the bed, and I need something to tide me over for awhile before I decide to drop big money on a flagship-ish device.

this_guy

My OPO is probably about to shit the bed, and I need something to tide me over for awhile before I decide to drop big money on a flagship-ish device.

Moto G4 is fine and works with all 4 major US carriers. You can get the Amazon version with lockscreen ads for $50 off, so $99 for 16gb and $149 for 32gb.

I picked up a refurbished G4 Plus 64gb for $209 from Best Buy. It's the same processor as the regular G4 but with an upgraded camera and fingerprint sensor. The 64gb version also does come with 4gb ram instead of 2gb. Day to day performance is snappy enough and doesn't give me any issues.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sorry to bother you but I'm bumping up my budget a little bit to $450, would you recommend the Oneplus 3/3t?

3T and call it a day. No reason to buy anything else for that price.

If you want to save a few bucks I'd get the Honor 8 if it's still on sale for $299 some places.

OP3T is that current GOAT Android phone though.

3T and call it a day. No reason to buy anything else for that price.

If you want to save a few bucks I'd get the Honor 8 if it's still on sale for $299 some places.

OP3T is that current GOAT Android phone though.

even easier choice then, like everyone said, 3T is the way to go.
The 3T availability forced me to go with the 3. Other than the front cam, I'm not really missing much am I?

The Nextbit Robin seems like an excellent value at $145 on Amazon. It has some quirks with the software, but you could throw a launcher like NOVA on it if you do not like the stock one and even though the Snapdragon 808 is pretty shit you'd be hard-pressed to find a better phone for the money.

Noema

Sup brehs

if you are in the US the Nextbit Robin is currently $150

Top Bottom