• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
*happening*
Excellent news all around. Front sensor is dumb. Back is so much more useful and elegant. Good riddance to hardware buttons.

I wonder if there will be no bezels? Seems to be the way for 2017 flagships but I am still skeptical of them being able to pull it off this year.

*happening*
other than the fingerprint sensor being on the back rather than embedded into the display, this is good to hear. I'll never be interested but it's good stuff nonetheless.

Maybe google can do the same but also get that fingerprint sensor embedded to one up. I think sensor on the back isn't great but that's because I use my phone a ton with it laying flat on the table when I'm at work so that's just a personal thang.

But I'm going to assume samsung will embed it into the screen. I mean why not? The tech is there. That part seemed more like speculation on his part that he thinks it will be on the back.

longdi

Banned
Capacitive keys still takes up screen space. Samsung should follow the likes of 1+, configurable tiny soft keys placed at the bezel.

Finger print sensor on the back means you can't check you phone when you lay it on a table.

And no 3.5mm audio jack, why?

Stupid decision all round

Sanjuro

Giving Firefox a go as my primary browser. Chrome has been feeling off on sites of late for me.

I think the only other primary option is the Samsung Internet Browser, but I only used it briefly.

Are you basing this on the way that your Note 4 display looked? They have improved every year on their display technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10120/the-samsung-galaxy-s7-review/5

From Anandtech:

The next portion of our testing is the standard saturation sweep test. Here, the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge are basically perfect. It’s great to see that Samsung continues to provide their Basic color mode with a real focus on providing accurate color calibration for those that care about these things, and the user experience with getting to the right color calibration is pretty much as painless as it can be compared to some other devices where things like saturation curves, white balance, and other parts of a display calibration can only be adjusted using unitless sliders that basically require a spectrophotometer to actually use.

You can also take a look at displaymate for their thoughts. Many displays don't even provide a truly accurate white. It's suppose to be a tiny bit warmer for true accuracy.

I had my hand on the note 7 and more so the pixel xl...and I just prefere lcd screen for now. Once i get tired of LCD I'll go back to amoled, mostlikey the pixel 2.

Giving Firefox a go as my primary browser. Chrome has been feeling off on sites of late for me.

I think the only other primary option is the Samsung Internet Browser, but I only used it briefly.

CAF browser for lyfe, yo.

NoChromo works great for QC SOCs. The idea of my browser using 300-500MB of RAM all the time gives me hives.

Jeffrey

seems like some people's pixels are dying at 30% battery?

must be a bug. that feature kicked off early, should happen around when pixel 2 launches.

So I'll be getting a new phone in January. I have a Note 4 currently and had a Note 2 before that. I'm looking for someone with good accessibility, ease, strong battery life and performance. I'm considering the Edge 7, Pixel or a Xperia. What would you guys recommend?

reKon

Banned
Atleast its not on the side...which is garbage.

Lol Sony's implementation ended up being bad? I thought it was a clever idea, but I never owned a Sony phone that had that.

So I'll be getting a new phone in January. I have a Note 4 currently and had a Note 2 before that. I'm looking for someone with good accessibility, ease, strong battery life and performance. I'm considering the Edge 7, Pixel or a Xperia. What would you guys recommend?

Everyone here is going to tell you to get a Pixel except for me and possibly one clueless person telling you to get an Xperia phone who obviously hasn't been keeping up with phones over the past few years.

Atleast its not on the side...which is garbage.

on the side and disabled in software in some regions because reasons

Sony Mobile

wait for 8

you really should just wait it out. S8 will come out in april...a few months later but it's a phone that will be future proofed for years. Or wait many months for pixel 2 :p

Qvoth

going to probably get 3t in hong kong
if you root it, will all my phone data gets wiped everytime there's an update? or you can just use the official updates?
been a while since i mess with phone roms and whatnot

vivftp

LG with Neck Speakers on deck

VWgPCL8.jpg

bring on 2017!

Dafuq? Did they just copy the Sony Concept N? lol

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/13/11215162/sony-project-n-headphones-future-lab-sxsw-2016

Anyways, I'm excited to see what phones get announced at CES and MWC. I've had my Xperia Z Ultra for the past 3 years and am finally ready for an upgrade. I was actually tempted by the Xperia XA Ultra a few months ago, but managed to hold out a bit longer to see what my options would be.

Also, looks like there's a leaked photo of an upcoming Xperia unit:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/12/27/is-this-a-first-glimpse-of-a-2017-sony-xperia-model/

I'm open to trying a design with no side bezels, so long as it doesn't cause unintended interactions with the screen when I'm just trying to hold the damn thing. I am glad that the top and bottom bezels aren't minimal, so at least I have a place to hold on to the phone when in landscape. No word if that's supposed to be a new flagship, or just another random phone yet. They seem to be speculating about a CES reveal, but it could be MWC for all we know.

Jeffrey

i like phones with no side bezels because im gonna slap a case on it regardless, extra bezel + case just makes it a bit unwieldly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seriously, can I buy a Note 7 anywhere?

Lol Sony's implementation ended up being bad? I thought it was a clever idea, but I never owned a Sony phone that had that.

I think side is better than back but side keeps the phone thick I guess. but I'm right handed. Could see it sucking if you're left handed lol.

It was just odd you use on the z5 premium.
Doesn't matter what hand you use though..cause either way it doesnt work well. I had soo many "too many attempt...." Warning.

With the back finger print reader on the v20..it never fails.

Not too sure if sony improved the scanner on the xperia xz....I wont find out cause i will never get a sony phone again, their high point was the z3.

vivftp

It was just odd you use on the z5 premium.
Doesn't matter what hand you use though..cause either way it doesnt work well. I had soo many "too many attempt...." Warning.

With the back finger print reader on the v20..it never fails.

Not too sure if sony improved the scanner on the xperia xz....I wont find out cause i will never get a sony phone again, their high point was the z3.

Not trying to sway your decision, but I do recall reviews saying the XZ fingerprint sensor was superior to the previous ones. AFAIK they never wound up bringing the XZ to Canada in any capacity, so I never got a chance to play around with one. Very hopeful the next flagship or Ultra variant does make it up here though as I'm likely going to pull the trigger on one.

For what its worth though, it does seem the XZ was popular enough in light of the Note 7's collapse:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia...6_flagship_after_note7s_demise-news-22290.php

Bboy AJ

Stockpiling explosives for the apocalypse? :)
It's fine. I'll just charge it over a tub of water covered with saran wrap.

I seriously want one. You see these new phones and yeah, they don't match the Note 7. It's a real shame. Any idea where to get one?

vivftp

It's fine. I'll just charge it over a tub of water covered with saran wrap.

I seriously want one. You see these new phones and yeah, they don't match the Note 7. It's a real shame. Any idea where to get one?

Damned if I know, but from what I've read some providers are basically gunning to brick the remaining devices out there:

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-unlike-verizon-willing-to-kill-off-galaxy-note-7/

Honestly, if you want one so badly then it would be best to wait for the S8 since the rumors are kicking around that there'll be 2 size variants... and hopefully no built in bricks of C4 :)

BTW, the whole exploding thing wasn't limited to when the phone was charging, IIRC. Didn't they also suffer malfunctions even when the phones were powered off?

Bboy AJ

still waiting on the box from Samsung here.

still hasn't blown up.

unless they're using a more nefarious method to push thru the update, package disabler pro will stop it.

it's illegal to sell, trade or even give away due to it being recalled.
You still have yours? PM me. I'll buy it.

Blackhead

Redarse
because you unlock your phone sitting on the table 70%+ of the time. Other than that, the back is the better placement...

Don't the Galaxy phones also have a very good (?) iris scanner for unlocking phones? iris scanner in front, fingerprint in back, best of both worlds...

akileese

You still have yours? PM me. I'll buy it.

Simple question but are you in the US? If so, all major providers are sending out updates to brick the thing. Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your money, but if you buy an NA version to use on an NA network, that thing is going to be a coaster in no more than three months.

Simple question but are you in the US? If so, all major providers are sending out updates to brick the thing. Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your money, but if you buy an NA version to use on an NA network, that thing is going to be a coaster in no more than three months.

Does the consumer not have to accept this OTA before it installs?

If you just never accept, it should still work right. But I am sure all the carriers will disable access to their network as well. My goodness this whole episode must have been so embarrassing for Samsung management, I pity the poor sod who had to carry the can for this snafu.

akileese

Does the consumer not have to accept this OTA before it installs?

If you just never accept, it should still work right. But I am sure all the carriers will disable access to their network as well. My goodness this whole episode must have been so embarrassing for Samsung management, I pity the poor sod who had to carry the can for this snafu.

My understanding, and this is based as how it is described, is that it's a mandatory update that will install whether or not you give it permission to or not. The only requirement is that you have more than 30 percent battery life so if you want to consistently leave your phone at 1/4 battery you're probably fine?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I jump from phone to phone at an embarrassing pace, usually 3-4 flagships a year. I bought the Axon 7 a few months ago and......wow. This thing is fantastic and I've lost interest in moving to another phone. By this point, I've usually moved on, and I figured I'd be on an S7 or HTC 10 or iPhone 7. But nope, every time I go to buy one, I just can't bring myself to do it, no real reason to over the Axon. The worst part of this phone is the camera, and even on that front, I've gotten some surprisingly good shots, and because of the 20mp sensor, I can fix a lot of the issues in post with filters and end up with fantastic photos.

The front facing speakers are great, 64gb built in with an sd card, great screen, fingerprint, good battery life (with iPhone-like standby time, no joke). I'll just wait for the S8 or whatever, no need to rush with a phone this great.

So I jump from phone to phone at an embarrassing pace, usually 3-4 flagships a year. I bought the Axon 7 a few months ago and......wow. This this is fantastic and I've lost interest in moving to another phone. By this point, I've usually moved on, and I figured I'd be on an S7 or HTC 10 or iPhone 7. But nope, every time I go to buy one, I just can't bring myself to do it, no real reason to over the Axon. The worst part of this phone is the camera, and even on that front, I've gotten some surprisingly good shots, and because of the 20mp sensor, I can fix a lot of the issues in post with filters and end up with fantastic photos.

The front facing speakers are great, 64gb built in with an sd card, great screen, fingerprint, good battery life (with iPhone-like standby time, no joke). I'll just wait for the S8 or whatever, no need to rush with a phone this great.
can't beat that price. Throw nova launcher on there or something and it's solid. Not my thing because it's too big but I'm glad it's out there.

reKon

Banned
I think we're at the point where mid range spec phones are good enough for day to day usage.

Hell for me the Moto G Play was good enough for everyday usage for the time I was using one. The Honor 8 was on sale for 240 USD during black Friday. Great phones have become very afforable.

this_guy

Hell for me the Moto G Play was good enough for everyday usage for the time I was using one. The Honor 8 was on sale for 240 USD during black Friday. Great phones have become very afforable.

I bought a 64gb Moto G4 Plus for $209 (refurbished) as a backup and there's no performance difference versus last year's Moto X Pure edition. I'm sure if I played games I might start seeing a difference but otherwise it works great. The G4 Plus is actually a slight upgrade because of the fingerprint sensor and the camera seems to be better.

No Love

Banned
Samsung looking to release wireless earphones alongside S8.

https://www.sammobile.com/2016/12/2...ireless-in-ear-headphones-with-the-galaxy-s8/

The iconX ones are fucking trash so hopefully these don't suck. Also doesn't 100% confirm no headphone jack but it does fit. I'm so glad I'm already over the headphone jack transition bump.

Was odd at first but all good now. I'm sure people will go craycray.

Wireless headphones are trash. Friend let me listen to his on his crappy iPhone 7, then I switched him over to some Sennheisers on my phone. The worst thing he could say is the wired headphones don't look as good and are too big. Lol.

Fuck any company trying to get rid of the headphone jack.

reKon

Banned
Wireless headphones are trash. Friend let me listen to his on his crappy iPhone 7, then I switched him over to some Sennheisers on my phone. The worst thing he could say is the wired headphones don't look as good and are too big. Lol.

Fuck any company trying to get rid of the headphone jack.

I'm keeping my S7 Edge for as long as possible.

Top Bottom