• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

xero273

Can anyone recommend an app like vlc? I need the app to be able to play files off a network share. I tried the vlc app but it keeps on buffering even on small files. I'm thinking it is a vlc problem.

thanks.

I agree that pixel should be better for what it costs but after using one it's impossible to deny that it's the best all around experience android has to offer. The optimization/smoothness is unrivaled. Camera is best in class. Getting updates right away and google assistant and whatever else....imo it's the best android experience out there. You can get a phone spec'd higher in every way and won't be as fluid.

I tried an xl briefly and i didnt find it smoother than higher end phones. It actully had a few hiccups.

Also, i thought the camera is good, but all high end android phone are pretty much dead even now.

What i didnt like is that its an ugly phone and its dayam expensive for what it currently has. C'mon even the iphone is water proof.

dont know. friend who has a pixel mentions that the OS still has occasional bugs, launcher crashes occasionally, and its quite aggressive with memory management. Still has some kinks.

I xl i tried had kinks...are they all like that?

It's the Exynos S7 Edge. Everyone else is wrong.

after using touchwiz for a year, im kinda sick of it.

Also, Im tired amoled. After extensive note 4 usage, looking at an iphone 7 and xperia z5p screen was liberating.

The xperia z5 screen is GOAT too bad the phone itself is crap.

Jeffrey

The 3T availability forced me to go with the 3. Other than the front cam, I'm not really missing much am I?

Also expect about 40min less battery. heck most of the time its clocked the same speed as the OP3 lol.

Wish the 3 was still available for sale (in the US). don't feel like the 3T is worth the price bump, but alas its the only new option.

LG with Neck Speakers on deck

VWgPCL8.jpg

bring on 2017!

reKon

Banned
I tried an xl briefly and i didnt find it smoother than higher end phones. It actully had a few hiccups.

Also, i thought the camera is good, but all high end android phone are pretty much dead even now.

What i didnt like is that its an ugly phone and its dayam expensive for what it currently has. C'mon even the iphone is water proof.

I xl i tried had kinks...are they all like that?

after using touchwiz for a year, im kinda sick of it.

Also, Im tired amoled. After extensive note 4 usage, looking at an iphone 7 and xperia z5p screen was liberating.

The xperia z5 screen is GOAT too bad the phone itself is crap.

Go to the theme store and apply material or dark material theme. Use Nova launcher and set up it as a Pixel launcher. You will now have a stock look and feel along with the extra features that Samsung packed in that's not on stock Android. I don't know understand why people completely ignore doing this. It's legitimately really stupid at this point.

Regarding the AMOLED screen, you go to display and set it to basic. This is what I've done and it's definitely a noticeable change as colors are natural. This is still the best screen on the market despite the iPhone having perfect color accuracy. The S7 series is nearly there as well on the basic setting.

Also, Samsung Pay is better than Android Pay and Apple Pay. Not even anything to argue here, lol...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Samsung pay is US only, unlike the other two. Because magstrip terminals don't exist in other countries.

So no.
I've been all over the world and yeah, they do exist outside the USA. They exist in Europe, too. The cashier just has to pull out the hidden machine that no one ever uses.

Also, I was surprised London's public transport shuts down so early. Ridiculous. NYC has the worst but best public transportation.

Hasney

So my Nexus 6P volume issue might be software after all. When the screen is totally off, the volume of my music changes on button presses. With the screen on, no effect or on screen notice. Going to do a factory reset when I'm home.

I've been all over the world and yeah, they do exist outside the USA. They exist in Europe, too. The cashier just has to pull out the hidden machine that no one ever uses.

Also, I was surprised London's public transport shuts down so early. Ridiculous. NYC has the worst but best public transportation.

London's underground recently went 24 hour and there is a night bus service, so it's a lot better now. Unless you came over Christmas and it might be bank holiday stuff from 24th to 28th.

tzare

Samsung pay is US only, unlike the other two. Because magstrip terminals don't exist in other countries.

So no.
Weird, i can use Samsung pay in Spain but Android pay still missing in action and Apple pay only became available for a single bank one month ago.

Go to the theme store and apply material or dark material theme. Use Nova launcher and set up it as a Pixel launcher. You will now have a stock look and feel along with the extra features that Samsung packed in that's not on stock Android. I don't know understand why people completely ignore doing this. It's legitimately really stupid at this point.

Regarding the AMOLED screen, you go to display and set it to basic. This is what I've done and it's definitely a noticeable change as colors are natural. This is still the best screen on the market despite the iPhone having perfect color accuracy. The S7 series is nearly there as well on the basic setting.

Also, Samsung Pay is better than Android Pay and Apple Pay. Not even anything to argue here, lol...

Im well aware of the things you mentioned.

I used nova prime here and there but I always feel latency.

Even in basic color setting the white is yellowish.

I dont hate touchwiz..just needed a break from it.

Hey Android-GAF. I just got a new Pixel for Christmas and I'm going to set it up this afternoon. I'm coming from an OG Nexus 5. The transition between phones never seems super smooth, especially with MMS/ SMS. Any set up tips this go round?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Hey Android-GAF. I just got a new Pixel for Christmas and I'm going to set it up this afternoon. I'm coming from an OG Nexus 5. The transition between phones never seems super smooth, especially with MMS/ SMS. Any set up tips this go round?

When you first turn on the phone you will have the option to connect it to your old one to copy stuff over. I used it when I had to make an insurance claim on my first Pixel and it worked great.

When you first turn on the phone you will have the option to connect it to your old one to copy stuff over. I used it when I had to make an insurance claim on my first Pixel and it worked great.

Oh really? That's new-- thanks! Did it get everything or did you need to manually transfer anything else?

Volotaire

So my Nexus 6P volume issue might be software after all. When the screen is totally off, the volume of my music changes on button presses. With the screen on, no effect or on screen notice. Going to do a factory reset when I'm home.

London's underground recently went 24 hour and there is a night bus service, so it's a lot better now. Unless you came over Christmas and it might be bank holiday stuff from 24th to 28th.

Only on select days, Friday and Saturday, and select lines. It's also crippled by the fact they have missed some large night spot areas such as Angel.

LG G6 renders from onleaks: http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-LG-G6-renders-do-away-with-the-modular-design_id89430

fingerprint still on the back...bezels still there....headphone jack on the top (still stupid)....

looks like none of the 2017 innovations will be in this phone.

I didn't love their implementation of it in the G5, but why introduce modular accessories only to ditch them completely in the next phone?

I'm curious is Motorola will continue with them in their 2017 phones, they seem to have done a smarter job with it than LG from what I can tell.

reKon

Banned
Im well aware of the things you mentioned.

I used nova prime here and there but I always feel latency.

Even in basic color setting the white is yellowish.

I dont hate touchwiz..just needed a break from it.

Are you basing this on the way that your Note 4 display looked? They have improved every year on their display technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10120/the-samsung-galaxy-s7-review/5

From Anandtech:

The next portion of our testing is the standard saturation sweep test. Here, the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge are basically perfect. It’s great to see that Samsung continues to provide their Basic color mode with a real focus on providing accurate color calibration for those that care about these things, and the user experience with getting to the right color calibration is pretty much as painless as it can be compared to some other devices where things like saturation curves, white balance, and other parts of a display calibration can only be adjusted using unitless sliders that basically require a spectrophotometer to actually use.

You can also take a look at displaymate for their thoughts. Many displays don't even provide a truly accurate white. It's suppose to be a tiny bit warmer for true accuracy.

this_guy

Are you basing this on the way that your Note 4 display looked? They have improved every year on their display technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10120/the-samsung-galaxy-s7-review/5

From Anandtech:

The next portion of our testing is the standard saturation sweep test. Here, the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge are basically perfect. It’s great to see that Samsung continues to provide their Basic color mode with a real focus on providing accurate color calibration for those that care about these things, and the user experience with getting to the right color calibration is pretty much as painless as it can be compared to some other devices where things like saturation curves, white balance, and other parts of a display calibration can only be adjusted using unitless sliders that basically require a spectrophotometer to actually use.

You can also take a look at displaymate for their thoughts. Many displays don't even provide a truly accurate white. It's suppose to be a tiny bit warmer for true accuracy.

The problem with Samsung screens is, that they're too good.

Jeffrey

Are there any use cases for this thing that don't involve the user being a massive douchebag?

Maybe someone working in a factory/warehouse?

"LG says that it collaborated with DTS to bring a "realistic theater-like sound for a cinematic experience wherever you may be.""

It could be an alternative to a soundbar for your apartment?

idk.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 8m minutes ago

Source: Galaxy S8 will completely ditch hardware navigation keys, Samsung is switching to all soft keys with 3D touch-like functionality.

Soft keys may be be configurable/customizable, as well. Removing the capacitive keys / home button will give the S8 a very tiny bottom bezel

And yes, it looks like the fingerprint scanner is being removed from the front. Will go on the back probably, exact placement not clear.

*happening*

Sitting with a V20. I came from iPhone to the note 7 this year. Give me a freaking note 8. Note 7 was amazing.

I need a pen. You all an laugh but it was amazeballs.

Hasney

Sound like some good moves that would get me interested, but the standardisation does suck for those who stuck with Samsung for those things.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wonder if LG will launch before Samsung or if Samsung will still be first mover.

I also wonder how long OnePlus will sit on the 3T vs moving to the 4.

kharma45

I'd say OnePlus will have another phone out fairly sharpish, and another price bump to go along with it. Gradually creeping their way up as they establish their brand.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
$500+ US OnePlus gets its lunch eaten.

That's too expensive when you convert for the Asian market, and not cheap enough to matter against the big boys.

Plus with other non big boy choices these days OnePlus will get squeezed from both sides in the West.

Edit: Also as the price goes up nagging issues are tolerated less. See Google and the Pixel vs Nexus for proof.

Top Bottom