• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Simple question but are you in the US? If so, all major providers are sending out updates to brick the thing. Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your money, but if you buy an NA version to use on an NA network, that thing is going to be a coaster in no more than three months.
As long as a certain update didn't hit the phone, I can install a custom ROM and be good.

Seriously guys, I want one. No one has one? Or a lead on one?

Wireless headphones are trash. Friend let me listen to his on his crappy iPhone 7, then I switched him over to some Sennheisers on my phone. The worst thing he could say is the wired headphones don't look as good and are too big. Lol.

Fuck any company trying to get rid of the headphone jack.
You might be right but most people don't care about sound quality past a certain point. The convenience of wireless will win out.

Wireless headphones are trash. Friend let me listen to his on his crappy iPhone 7, then I switched him over to some Sennheisers on my phone. The worst thing he could say is the wired headphones don't look as good and are too big. Lol.

Fuck any company trying to get rid of the headphone jack.
I just use the lightning ones that came with my phone. Just as I'd use any usb c earphones that came with any android phones. I donno I just don't think it's a big deal. After the first week or two I can't say I ever thought about it again.

I think wireless is ok depending on which you get. Jaybirds are good as fuck but I'm not a fan of IEMs at all. I prefer wired for the time being. Which hole it plugs into doesn't bug me though.

akileese

As long as a certain update didn't hit the phone, I can install a custom ROM and be good.

Seriously guys, I want one. No one has one? Or a lead on one?

You might be right but most people don't care about sound quality past a certain point. The convenience of wireless will win out.

No you wouldn't. You'd need to unlock the bootloader and get root. Unless you have an international/Korean version you cannot do this.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have a lot of wired headphones, and they're very cheap, even very good ones. And I can still use wireless headphones for convenience or whatever.

Why do we need to pretend like we have to choose?!? Because Apple said so and others are following?

I have a lot of wired headphones, and they're very cheap, even very good ones. And I can still use wireless headphones for convenience or whatever.

Why do we need to pretend like we have to choose?!? Because Apple said so and others are following?
no one has to choose, what's happening is a BAU transfer of standards. Happens with lots of things/ports. Once the transition is over as painful it will be for some people it will be literally the same. You'll have wired ones to choose from, wireless ones to choose from, etc...but the jack gosta go.

You know what's more annoying than no headphone jack? Headphone jack at the top :p

No you wouldn't. You'd need to unlock the bootloader and get root. Unless you have an international/Korean version you cannot do this.

this is Android fam. you can root the US (Snapdragon) Note 7 thru a leaked dev rom and then flash custom roms.

but wireless won't GIT GUD until we dump the 3.5mm jack!!!!

Fezan

How is v10? I am actually getting it for around 280 USD only 4 months used? any known issues? My other option is Xperia Z5 premium which i can get at same price

Volotaire

How is v10? I am actually getting it for around 280 USD only 4 months used? any known issues? My other option is Xperia Z5 premium which i can get at same price

IIRC, the V10 suffers from the 'bootloop' problem like the LG G4. It is a randomly occurring issue where the phone gets stuck on the boot screen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Garbage tier at this point.

So many better options no reason to grab the 2015 V model with the 808 chip.

Volotaire

Is it a common pressie without any solution?

What other option do I have for 300usd with good camera?

It seems relatively common (in terms of the normal chance of getting a system brick problem) and is commonly associated with the phone getting very hot after intensive tasks. It seems the solution to the problem can be quite random and may not work. There are a list of possibilities posted online. It's the result of a hardware problem, not software.

I would stay away. It's not worth the risk.

Xperia Z5 premium...um sucks.
Camera - same over processed imaged, typical sony..slow too.

Speaker- kinda low, probably due to water proof.

Headphone - BEWARE!!!! ALOT of peoples headphone jack stop working! Straight garbage!!

Performance - dissapointing..alot of stutter. ALOT!

Screen - GOAT!! 4k greatness!!

UI - boring but simple minimal.

Battery - actually not bad. Actually better than the v20 that im using now.

last sony phone I'll buy. I had the xperia Z, Z1,Z2,and Z3...so I gave sony alot of chances. Their hard build quality seem to just suck. There always some kind of hardware issues with them. Back then the main thing was the beyond exellent battery life, but now its not their forte anymore.

Z - garbage screen
Z1 - garbage screen
Z2 - ok build quality
Z3 - flaps doesnt close tight. Had to exchange twice

I didnt bother with the X performance and XZ..cause spec wise it laughable.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yes I can. If I had the phone. Someone hook me up!!

Bboy AJ

You probably could get arrested from just shipping a note 7 around on post office without proper thermal packaging.
Such a tiny, tiny risk. I should have bought a Note 7 when it released. Who'd have thought that, to this day, the phone would still be unsurpassed.

ArchAngel

I'd search "iPhone shuts down at 20" before you do. Batteries are tricky bastards.

But Google seems to have fucked up Android 7.1 with this. First the Nexus 6P and now Pixel. There seem to be many people experiencing this right now.
Fuck this and fuck AMOLED lottery!

ozJaI9J.jpg

But Google seems to have fucked up Android 7.1 with this. First the Nexus 6P and now Pixel. There seem to be many people experiencing this right now.

ozJaI9J.jpg

Iphone 7 is the only phone I belive justify spending $900+ on. No way I would spend that money on pixel. Maybe on a pixel 2 when its a more complete product.

Dobsie

Such a tiny, tiny risk. I should have bought a Note 7 when it released. Who'd have thought that, to this day, the phone would still be unsurpassed.
Do you literally have money to burn, I had a quick look on eBay and these things are selling for like 40% higher then retail. Not to mention the dev scene will be crap as any sane person will go nowhere near it. You'd basically have to bastardise the phone with no security updates.

Bboy AJ

Do you literally have money to burn, I had a quick look on eBay and these things are selling for like 40% higher then retail. Not to mention the dev scene will be crap as any sane person will go nowhere near it. You'd basically have to bastardise the phone with no security updates.
Fuuuu. People really want this phone!! I wish I had bought it on release. Ugh.

You have to admit the phone is still unsurpassed. It won't be touched until Galaxy S8 and even then, it won't be a Note.

You probably could get arrested from just shipping a note 7 around on post office without proper thermal packaging.

exactly!

i mean, i have the device, already got refunded, already switched over to a Note 5 and just waiting on the dumb box from Samsung but i ain't risking federal time and/or federal fines for a few hundo lol.

tzare

So I'll be getting a new phone in January. I have a Note 4 currently and had a Note 2 before that. I'm looking for someone with good accessibility, ease, strong battery life and performance. I'm considering the Edge 7, Pixel or a Xperia. What would you guys recommend?
Edge 7. Will feel tiny compared to note but it is great. I also had a note 4 and now own a 7 edge, miss the pen though.

Sanjuro

I've been playing with Firefox a couple days. It's funny how smooth it performs on mobile, while the desktop version always feels a bit sluggish in comparison to Chrome.

I think I might have a winner.

ozJaI9J.jpg

Is this something like I was describing happening to my 6P a few pages ago??? I'm still bewildered at what happened and it's happened a few times over the last 4-5 months. I hope the battery isn't a dud.

I couldn't find the Nexus 6P thread for some reason so I'll just post it here.

I plugged in my phone last night and started streaming Netflix to Chromcast and fell asleep. My phone did not charge at all during this time and died at some point in the night. I woke up and my phone was off and wouldn't charge as if the charger were dead. I held the power button down for what seemed like a very long time and the phone started to boot at which point the battery was at like 60% and the charger started working just fine.

Has anyone had this issue before? This happened a few months ago as well. The wall charger isn't even warm. It's like the phone is refusing power and it doesn't even try.

yyzjohn

Banned
I've heard about these Pixel battery issues but I haven't experienced it at all. Had my Pixel XL since Oct 21, regularly go under 30% battery with no issues.

akileese

I've heard about these Pixel battery issues but I haven't experienced it at all. Had my Pixel XL since Oct 21, regularly go under 30% battery with no issues.

It appears to be a relatively new issue. Since it's the same issues the 6P/5X are having, I'm wondering if it's a software thing.

Hasney

It's a half baked phone. Better luck next year, Google. Here's hoping Pixel 2 is really great. We'd all win.

Well I mean, you are currently after a phone that bakes itself, so it makes sense tour be turned off by half baked.

It is a shame that end of the market is still about making compromises though. Pixel, iPhone and Samsung are really the only high end options and all 3 are farrrrrrr from perfect.

It's a half baked phone. Better luck next year, Google. Here's hoping Pixel 2 is really great. We'd all win.
half baked is pushing it but it's very much a "gen 1" phone that took some shortcuts. Given that though it's decent.

I'm expecting a significant leap for pixel 2. If so I may have to jump back in.

I have $450 to spend on a new Android phone tomorrow and I am looking for last minute recommendations. My iPhone 5S was given to me and I gave Apple a legit shot at converting me...but it's back to Android.

I actually really like the size of my iPhone 5S, and there doesn't appear to be any decent Android phones in the 4.5 inch size...am I missing something? The closest is the Sony Z3 Compact but lacks a fingerprint sensor which is a deal breaker for me; my 5S spoiled me here.

If I can't find a suitable smaller phone, I am heavily leaning towards the OnePlus 3 unless someone can convince me otherwise. All thoughts appreciated!

No Love

Banned
I have $450 to spend on a new Android phone tomorrow and I am looking for last minute recommendations. My iPhone 5S was given to me and I gave Apple a legit shot at converting me...but it's back to Android.

I actually really like the size of my iPhone 5S, and there doesn't appear to be any decent Android phones in the 4.5 inch size...am I missing something? The closest is the Sony Z3 Compact but lacks a fingerprint sensor which is a deal breaker for me; my 5S spoiled me here.

If I can't find a suitable smaller phone, I am heavily leaning towards the OnePlus 3 unless someone can convince me otherwise. All thoughts appreciated!

I think the Galaxy S7 warrants a look too, even though I dislike Samsung I still feel that it's a really nice 5" phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Don't buy a Z3 compact - its nearing the end of it's lifespan. If you want a Sony Compact, look at the Xperia X Compact.

Also, take a look at the Honor 8, as well as the OnePlus 3.

Jzero

So a company accidentally sent me some digital USB-C IEMs with a built in Amp + DAC and they sound really great, too bad i can't charge my 6P while using them.

oneplus 3t

all small android phones are trash. S7 is outa your price range.

I think Xperia X Compact is the best bet here that matches your requirements. It's not the best specced, but it's somewhat futureproof with USB-C and a 2016 CPU.

I think Xperia X Compact is the best bet here that matches your requirements. It's not the best specced, but it's somewhat futureproof with USB-C and a 2016 CPU.
it is a 2016 cpu but it's a lower end one....also the fingerprint sensor is disabled in north america which is dumb as FUCK. I don't know about that phone.

VertPin

it is a 2016 cpu but it's a lower end one....also the fingerprint sensor is disabled in north america which is dumb as FUCK. I don't know about that phone.
My older brother had that phone. He said the camera on it was terrible.

Top Bottom