• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Well I mean, you are currently after a phone that bakes itself, so it makes sense tour be turned off by half baked.

It is a shame that end of the market is still about making compromises though. Pixel, iPhone and Samsung are really the only high end options and all 3 are farrrrrrr from perfect.

lets be real here...

the Note 7 has a 0.001% chance of melting.

the Pixel has a 100% chance of being an overpriced piece of shit.

I have $450 to spend on a new Android phone tomorrow and I am looking for last minute recommendations. My iPhone 5S was given to me and I gave Apple a legit shot at converting me...but it's back to Android.

I actually really like the size of my iPhone 5S, and there doesn't appear to be any decent Android phones in the 4.5 inch size...am I missing something? The closest is the Sony Z3 Compact but lacks a fingerprint sensor which is a deal breaker for me; my 5S spoiled me here.

If I can't find a suitable smaller phone, I am heavily leaning towards the OnePlus 3 unless someone can convince me otherwise. All thoughts appreciated!

you want to drop $450 on a phone on literally the last day of the year?

wait for 8.

you want to drop $450 on a phone on literally the last day of the year?

wait for 8.

My work is buying me a phone of my choice tomorrow, so that the expense can go on 2016 books. I can't wait if I want a free phone, so tomorrow is the day.

Ugh, I really don't want a 5.5 inch phone...but the OnePlus 3 is so tempting. Where should I be buying the OnePlus 3? It seems sellers on Amazon and Ebay are overcharging by about $50.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My work is buying me a phone of my choice tomorrow, so that the expense can go on 2016 books. I can't wait if I want a free phone, so tomorrow is the day.

Ugh, I really don't want a 5.5 inch phone...but the OnePlus 3 is so tempting. Where should I be buying the OnePlus 3? It seems sellers on Amazon and Ebay are overcharging by about $50.

Get the OnePlus 3T and you buy it directly from OnePlus on their website.

reKon

Banned

Check swappa. I see a new int'l version Silver Galaxy S7 going for $445 here: https://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-s7-g930f-unlocked

I've bought from this seller before.

Which carrier are you on?

Check the listing here: https://swappa.com/search?q=galaxy+s7

Jeffrey

ive been to 2 verizon stores and a few best buys... are there really no pixel demo units?

Like I still see nexus 6p's on display at places.

do what reKon said

DagsJT

I'm a bit bored of my iPhone 6S and fancy coming back to Android. I was pretty set on the Pixel as the reviews are so good, and the camera looks superb.

But just glancing over the last couple of pages, the Pixel isn't all the reviews cracked it up to be? Is the S7 the best otherwise?

I'm a bit bored of my iPhone 6S and fancy coming back to Android. I was pretty set on the Pixel as the reviews are so good, and the camera looks superb.

But just glancing over the last couple of pages, the Pixel isn't all the reviews cracked it up to be? Is the S7 the best otherwise?
nah don't listen to the hatazz. Pixel is the best android phone out there. The best overall android experience. Go watch any smartphone of the year round up. iphone and pixel at the top of all of em.

IMO though keep the 6S and wait for next years flagships.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Pixel is the best Android phone available. That doesn't mean it's perfect.

Jeffrey

Still the 'best' android phone atm. It's a fairly 'boring' though lol so jumping from the 6S might not do it for ya.

s7 edge would definitely be more 'interesting'.

Reckoner

How are you bored of your 6S? This is so speedy still, it's crazy.

Samsung looking to release wireless earphones alongside S8.

https://www.sammobile.com/2016/12/2...ireless-in-ear-headphones-with-the-galaxy-s8/

The iconX ones are fucking trash so hopefully these don't suck. Also doesn't 100% confirm no headphone jack but it does fit. I'm so glad I'm already over the headphone jack transition bump.

Was odd at first but all good now. I'm sure people will go craycray.

The IconX are actually really impressive bits of technology. Superior sound quality to the Airpods, built-in heart-rate sensor, and even 4 GB of internal storage which allows it to playback music without a phone nearby. It's too bad the battery life on them is pretty awful, Samsung really needs to work on battery life for the second generation of this product. However that doesn't take away from the sheer amount of stuff they crammed into the things.

Regular headphones still offer superior sound quality at that price point but if Samsung really wants to suicide the S8 by removing the headphone jack more power to them. I'll laugh if they follow the exploding recalled Note 7 with a Note 8 that has no headphone jack though, that would absolutely kill the Note line stone cold dead.

DagsJT

How are you bored of your 6S? This is so speedy still, it's crazy.

Oh it's not the speed, it's pretty quick.

I dunno, I think it's the whole home screen tile layout etc. This is my first iPhone since 3GS, I've had Android in between, and something feels like it's missing.

But yeah, I think I'll go with the above and keep hold for a while longer for now.

this_guy

CES is coming up. Do we start attacking each other and argue over phones after CES, or after the first batch of flagships are launched?

So how many flagships losing headphone jacks this year?

Samsung seems likely. Maybe pixel 2?
google bragging about the headphone jack for the pixel and too cheap to include some fucking earphones in it. AND they put the jack at the top. 2 egregious unforgivable things imo.

Anyway as for your question....I think Samsung and HTC will lose it. Samsing I say 70% chance. HTC 100% chance. Moto will still lose it on their flagship phone. LG will keep it. Google is 50/50.

and as I mentioned, I'm already over it so I can't say I give a shit.

Hasney

Not having garbage tier pack ins and thankfully keeping the headphone jack on great things. Duck getting rid of it and fuck the bottom placement.

Not having garbage tier pack ins and thankfully keeping the headphone jack on great things. Duck getting rid of it and fuck the bottom placement.
bottom placement is more natural and it's a better user experience. It jives with in and out of pocket experience and also makes more sense when you're holding it up and using it so there isn't the weight of it or a wire hanging around up top.

There's literally no reason for it at the top. I'm glad samsung came to their senses on this sometime ago. It's an inarguable worse experience for most users. And I'm sorry but bragging about a 3.5mm jack and then not including any in the box is just cheapness. Not everyone is a goddamn audiophile like internet nerds.

Hasney

bottom placement is more natural and it's a better user experience. It jives with in and out of pocket experience and also makes more sense when you're holding it up and using it so there isn't the weight of it or a wire hanging around up top.

There's literally no reason for it at the top. I'm glad samsung came to their senses on this sometime ago. It's an inarguable worse experience for most users. And I'm sorry but bragging about a 3.5mm jack and then not including any in the box is just cheapness. Not everyone is a goddamn audiophile like internet nerds.

I still never understand the headphone jack thing. With it on top, I pull it out of my pocket and the screen is facing me and is the right way up.

this_guy

I still never understand the headphone jack thing. With it on top, I pull it out of my pocket and the screen is facing me and is the right way up.

I'm the same way. But people that insist on bottom headphone jacks can't comprehend that you can put your phone in your pocket in different positions.

It sounds like you've just been accustomed to doing it the worse way is all it is.

Lets say you're holding the phone in your right hand, rightside up. Headphone jack is on the bottom where it should be. Not only is the weight of it not on the top of the phone (which is slightly discomforting), and not only is there not a wire hanging down from the back like an idiort, you can now (And this is key) IN ONE smooth motion insert it into your pants pocket without changing the orientation of it AT ALL in your hand. And guess what, pulling it out of your pocket is the same thing, you pull out and hold it rightside up all in one motion in the same way that you'd hold it.

Same with inside of a jacket pocket. Straight in, the headphone plug doesn't pick into your jacket taking up needless space and sticks out the side facing out.

Seriously just sounds like you've become accustomed to the wrong way. There's a reason Apple does it on the bottom and there's a reason samsung used to have it at the top but also moved it at the bottom. It simply makes more sense for the user.

vivftp

Hmm, possible Xperia X 2017 box? Borrowed from esato forums. Biggest change seems to be the volume buttons on the left side, if it's real

ZO7l_E2909_ENgx_Jh2_Q4s4.jpg

this_guy

It sounds like you've just been accustomed to doing it the worse way is all it is.

Lets say you're holding the phone in your right hand, rightside up. Headphone jack is on the bottom where it should be. Not only is the weight of it not on the top of the phone (which is slightly discomforting), and not only is there not a wire hanging down from the back like an idiort, you can now (And this is key) IN ONE smooth motion insert it into your pants pocket without changing the orientation of it AT ALL in your hand. And guess what, pulling it out of your pocket is the same thing, you pull out and hold it rightside up all in one motion in the same way that you'd hold it.

Same with inside of a jacket pocket. Straight in, the headphone plug doesn't pick into your jacket taking up needless space and sticks out the side facing out.

Seriously just sounds like you've become accustomed to the wrong way. There's a reason Apple does it on the bottom and there's a reason samsung used to have it at the top but also moved it at the bottom. It simply makes more sense for the user.

Yep - cannot comprehend that you can hold the phone right side up and just drop it into your pocket still right side up. But everyone else is the idiot.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Pyro cares more about the port position than a manufacturer removing it entirely.

As of today, there really isn't a valid reason for removing the Jack. I hate to agree with the Verge, but I agree with them that the onus is on the manufacturers to convey why losing such an elemental, useful, universal port is worth it, and they haven't done that yet.

Pyro cares more about the port position than a manufacturer removing it entirely.

As of today, there really isn't a valid reason for removing the Jack. I hate to agree with the Verge, but I agree with them that the onus is on the manufacturers to convey why losing such an elemental, useful, universal port is worth it, and they haven't done that yet.
lol I do and I admit that. To me putting the jack at the top is the same putting as a carrier logo on the front of the phone. It's like straight up telling the user that they don't give a shit about your overall experience and would rather take whatever shortcuts they like to achieve their design/branding.

I'm over the removal of it in general. As long as the phones ship with usb c earphones I think it's fine. If you're forcing people to buy wireless, then I have a problem with it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If one of your arguments about bottom port placement is the weight of a headphone wire (!?!) causing discomfort..... You've chosen the wrong hill to die on. Especially when your next argument is that the port isn't necessary in the first place. Just bizarre logic.

If one of your arguments about bottom port placement is the weight of a headphone wire (!?!) causing discomfort..... You've chosen the wrong hill to die on. Especially when your next argument is that the port isn't necessary in the first place. Just bizarre logic.
I just don't think much of it. I'm not an audiophile, I typically use what comes with the phone or whatever has solid reviews. I have an iphone 7 and after the first week it has never popped in my mind because it's still wired, it just plugs into a different hole. I don't often run into situations where I want to charge and listen at the same time.

I just don't see it as a big deal. I just want the transition to usb c to happen as fast as possible across the board. It's inevitable, I'm in the "lets get it over with" camp. Hope there's much more usb c earphone options next year. Wireless there are lots of options nowadays that are good but they're too expensive for a non audiophile like me. But there won't be usb c earphone options until OEMs have a reason to make them. They won't have a reason to make them until the jack dies out on all the major devices.

reKon

Banned
google bragging about the headphone jack for the pixel and too cheap to include some fucking earphones in it. AND they put the jack at the top. 2 egregious unforgivable things imo.

Anyway as for your question....I think Samsung and HTC will lose it. Samsing I say 70% chance. HTC 100% chance. Moto will still lose it on their flagship phone. LG will keep it. Google is 50/50.

and as I mentioned, I'm already over it so I can't say I give a shit.

You're probably going to get the next iPhone with that redesign anyways

You're probably going to get the next iPhone with that redesign anyways
I don't know. I feel like it's a possibility but I really want to go back to Android. But it's really pixel or nothing for me so I have to hope google delivers. I think the pixel 1 is a good start but lots of improvements could be made. I guess I'll see if they make em.

I go back and forth every year so it is the android year in 2017, even with a huge iphone update. I'm hoping google matches it (they wont)! I have no interest in the other OEMs unfortunately.

I love my Pixel XL, and have had none of the problems folks have posted about here, but I absolutely hate the headphone port on the top. I can't wrap my head around the folks that argue it belongs there vs. on the bottom. #TeamBottom

I love my Pixel XL, and have had none of the problems folks have posted about here, but I absolutely hate the headphone port on the top. I can't wrap my head around the folks that argue it belongs there vs. on the bottom. #TeamBottom
pure laziness. I hope they move it to the bottom and also copy the same stereo speaker setup as apple and some other OEMs of one speaker on the bottom and one on the earpiece.

I prefer the jack on the bottom as well, but I'll take it on top/side/whatever every single time over it being removed. As of now, removing the jack is just anti-consumer.

Quasar

I prefer the jack on the bottom as well, but I'll take it on top/side/whatever every single time over it being removed. As of now, removing the jack is just anti-consumer.

jack at top always seemed dumb to me. As for removing it, I'm kind of mixed on the whole thing. I imagine I'll be fine with a USB-c set once we start seeing more proliferate, though I do wonder how much battery they use. As for wireless, if bluetooth wasn't shit in terms of both pairing and sound quality I'd be less down on that. That's why I hoped Apple had gone down creating its own wireless standard, something with the pairing qualities the airpods seems to have, but also much less compressed audio. Of course Apple couldn't even be bothered to make their expensive airpods sounds any better than their shit packins. Maybe that's deliberate to upsell people on beats.

I guess the biggest deal for me probably is that both these options kill the last minute purchase of 5$ buds if I forget mine at home and they start having issues and I need a replacement pair quickly and anything is better than nothing.

Jeffrey

still think bluetooth on android is too finicky, in which unlike ios, its not smart about which to connect to,

like with my iphone it can figure out to pair with my car when i get in that, even if I'm using my BT headphones, while on android i'd have to manually connect to the car, or first turn off the headphones.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am new to Android. I switched from Windows Mobile 10 just couple of weeks ago. I am using Pixel XL. I have a question related to contact sync.

this phone is fast, its so much better than my previous in general. But the contact section is dog shit crazy bad compare to my Windows Phone. I can no longer sync it with my FB. So there are no pictures. Is there any way to get pictures on each contact on Android?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Everyone still holding onto 3.5 mm lol. You thought I was crazy years ago but now, the reality is setting in and your aux jacks are walking dead.

I am new to Android. I switched from Windows Mobile 10 just couple of weeks ago. I am using Pixel XL. I have a question related to contact sync.

this phone is fast, its so much better than my previous in general. But the contact section is dog shit crazy bad compare to my Windows Phone. I can no longer sync it with my FB. So there are no pictures. Is there any way to get pictures on each contact on Android?
I'm not 100% sure but if you don't see the option to do this in the facebook app itself, it sounds like you'll just need to use a 3rd party app like sync.me to get it done. I'm sure that will work but odds are it won't be as perfect as native.

Top Bottom