• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

I am new to Android. I switched from Windows Mobile 10 just couple of weeks ago. I am using Pixel XL. I have a question related to contact sync.

this phone is fast, its so much better than my previous in general. But the contact section is dog shit crazy bad compare to my Windows Phone. I can no longer sync it with my FB. So there are no pictures. Is there any way to get pictures on each contact on Android?

I'm not 100% sure but if you don't see the option to do this in the facebook app itself, it sounds like you'll just need to use a 3rd party app like sync.me to get it done. I'm sure that will work but odds are it won't be as perfect as native.

Same situation as you, BeforeU. I can say from my experience Sync.me is pretty solid. It's no native integration, but it'll get most of your contacts covered with photos.

still think bluetooth on android is too finicky, in which unlike ios, its not smart about which to connect to,

like with my iphone it can figure out to pair with my car when i get in that, even if I'm using my BT headphones, while on android i'd have to manually connect to the car, or first turn off the headphones.

i have never had this issue with my Note 4, 7 or 5. it just switches when i turn the car on.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
People don't realize how messy Bluetooth implementation is on car decks and the little plugin devices. One may work better with iPhones, and the other with Android phones. Doesn't mean one is better, just random.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I'm not 100% sure but if you don't see the option to do this in the facebook app itself, it sounds like you'll just need to use a 3rd party app like sync.me to get it done. I'm sure that will work but odds are it won't be as perfect as native.

Same situation as you, BeforeU. I can say from my experience Sync.me is pretty solid. It's no native integration, but it'll get most of your contacts covered with photos.

ahh thanks guys. I will give it a shot

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Happy new year!
I miss new years in Germany. Especially since I lived in the basin of Stuttgart where you live in a valley and you can see the surrounding neighborhoods all around you. Two days a year the country sells fireworks. The entire city, every man, woman, and child, sets the fireworks off for hours. It is a warzone and amazingly awesome. Kids throwing bottle rockets at each other and in the air, duck around corners only to find boxes of exploding fire candles in your face, ambulance sirens blaring all around you through the smoke you can never escape.

It's what I imagine being in a war feels. Without the bad stuff.

I'm trying to change my 6P wallpaper and man, it isn't easy. You can't just crop stuff yourself. It does it automatically. What's the proper resolution for it? Someone turn this into perfect for my 6P lockscreen and we can be buddies. It's probably slightly off the aspect ratio. Fucking Android.

jwMJxWX.png

Edit: got my wallpaper. ty banned gaffer! Groof

wilflare

I miss new years in Germany. Especially since I lived in the basin of Stuttgart where you live in a valley and you can see the surrounding neighborhoods all around you. Two days a year the country sells fireworks. The entire city, every man, woman, and child, sets the fireworks off for hours. It is a warzone and amazingly awesome. Kids throwing bottle rockets at each other and in the air, duck around corners only to find boxes of exploding fire candles in your face, ambulance sirens blaring all around you through the smoke you can never escape.

It's what I imagine being in a war feels. Without the bad stuff.

I'm trying to change my 6P wallpaper and man, it isn't easy. You can't just crop stuff yourself. It does it automatically. What's the proper resolution for it? Someone turn this into perfect for my 6P lockscreen and we can be buddies. It's probably slightly off the aspect ratio. Fucking Android.

Edit: got my wallpaper. ty banned gaffer!

hope VA-11 HALL-A comes to Android soon enough :3

Ty4on

People don't realize how messy Bluetooth implementation is on car decks and the little plugin devices. One may work better with iPhones, and the other with Android phones. Doesn't mean one is better, just random.
I know from the times they crash, sometimes taking the car head unit with them...

Arksy

Hey guys sorry for the thread crash. My Xperia Z1 has finally died and I'm looking to get a replacement. I usually buy second hand outright rather than going on a plan because I had the system we have here in Australia for contracts...

My issue is that I don't even know what I'm looking for anymore. Preferably something reasonably good (at least as good as my old Z1) unfortunately I don't have the budget right now to splurge on a flagship like the pixel or the s7...but I've been out of the game so long I don't really know where to begin outside the flagships.

Hey guys sorry for the thread crash. My Xperia Z1 has finally died and I'm looking to get a replacement. I usually buy second hand outright rather than going on a plan because I had the system we have here in Australia for contracts...

My issue is that I don't even know what I'm looking for anymore. Preferably something reasonably good (at least as good as my old Z1) unfortunately I don't have the budget right now to splurge on a flagship like the pixel or the s7...but I've been out of the game so long I don't really know where to begin outside the flagships.
Huawei Honor 8 is a good lower priced choice. My not be so low priced in Australia (~450 AUD), but I'd say currently it's the most phone for the money.

oneplus 3T is the easy choice. Awesome hardware for a lower price. Also just got Nougat.

Snapdragon 835 is just a die shrink? No improvements on the core design?
I don't know if that's true but Qualcomm has been dragging their feet lately. I feel like it will take them forever to hit Apple A10 numbers but whatever. Optimization is more important at this moment for android. I'll just take a more efficient cpu at this point.

Lunar FC

I love my Pixel XL, and have had none of the problems folks have posted about here, but I absolutely hate the headphone port on the top. I can't wrap my head around the folks that argue it belongs there vs. on the bottom. #TeamBottom

Head phone jack on the top is almost a deal breaker on a phone for me.

But I've got a pair of Air Pods coming in, so the Pixel is now next on my purchase list.

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't know if that's true but Qualcomm has been dragging their feet lately. I feel like it will take them forever to hit Apple A10 numbers but whatever. Optimization is more important at this moment for android. I'll just take a more efficient cpu at this point.

I think this year Samsung will become the king of Android SoC design, if they still do the US/Rest of the world split for the S8 my guess is that the US people will really get the short end of the stick.

So my LG G2 finally took one fall too many and the screen broke, half of the screen is now unresponsive with me having to alternate between portrait and landscape in order to type.

The question is with CES and MWC coming up soon what do I do? Argh decisions, decisions. I am considering Moto Z Play / Oneplus 3T or switching to a second hand iOS device.

Are there any other Android phones I am missing or any good channels for iOS refurb phones I am in the UK.

So my LG G2 finally took one fall too many and the screen broke, half of the screen is now unresponsive with me having to alternate between portrait and landscape in order to type.

The question is with CES and MWC coming up soon what do I do? Argh decisions, decisions. I am considering Moto Z Play / Oneplus 3T or switching to a second hand iOS device.

Are there any other Android phones I am missing or any good channels for iOS refurb phones I am in the UK.
iphones are always going to cost a lot even as a refurb. They retain value very well, even if you go back to the 6S/SE.

3T is an awesome phone for the rice. You'll definitely be a bit future proofed with that. If you want a flagship then wait for more info on this years offerings, get something cheap to tide you over. If you just want something cheaper than get the 3T. You may even want to keep it over most flagships.

AndroidGAF, I need your help.

I've been using a weather app called "Simple Weather". It had a great looking 4x1 widget with no clock or any other nonsense, just the forecast for the next couple of days. It looked great, flat, material-ish.

It has been abandoned by the dev and no longer works anymore.

I've been browsing through the store, but there is so much garbage and if there is a similar simple weather app, then it doesn't have a (similar) widget.

Any recommendations?

cLOUDo

my phone was stolen last week
i wonder if should i buy the oneplus 3t now or buy something more cheap and wait for the oneplus 5 in may/june

for now i'm using a moto g (1rst gen) , the diference is brutal xD

my phone was stolen last week
i wonder if should i buy the oneplus 3t now or buy something more cheap and wait for the oneplus 5 in may/june

for now i'm using a moto g (1rst gen) , the diference is brutal xD
stick with the G and get a 2017 flagship, or get something cheap to tide over.

Jeffrey

I've been using a weather app called "Simple Weather". It had a great looking 4x1 widget with no clock or any other nonsense, just the forecast for the next couple of days. It looked great, flat, material-ish.

I've been browsing through the store, but there is so much garbage and if there is a similar simple weather app, then it doesn't have a (similar) widget.

Any recommendations?

I like weather time line but it's not free.

Nova launcher has the pixel launcher style search and weather that works too.

Any recommendations?

i like HD Widgets with Colourform

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Really interested in the chipset game this year.

Qualcomm seems to be sleep walking as of late, but they got them patents.

Kirin in the likes of the Honor 8 has come on strong in the CPU department. The GPU sucks though and is like 2 gens behind.

Samsung putting in that work, but they seem content to still ship the Qualcomm bullshit in NA.

Early leeks make the Snap 835 feel like more of just a die shrink vs real improvement.

Supposedly they know Kirin shit the bed on the GPU side and are gonna fix that this time around.

Also who knows if Google does their own chip this time.

Time tables also matter. Like which flagship jumps to the market first. How fast due the cheap flagship killers take to get to the market or will chip orders be swallowed up by the big boys.

Any recommendations?

If you love widgets I highly recommend 1Weather. It also has one of the smallest RAM footprints of any decently featured weather app besides Weatherbug, that I've found, but with far fewer hiccups than Weatherbug. Try it out.

Chronus clock app also has great weather widgets, but it's running off Yahoo! weather which can be a bit behind the curve for some locations.

Kirin in the likes of the Honor 8 has come on strong in the CPU department. The GPU sucks though and is like 2 gens behind.

Samsung putting in that work, but they seem content to still ship the Qualcomm bullshit in NA.

Early leeks make the Snap 835 feel like more of just a die shrink vs real improvement.

Supposedly they know Kirin shit the bed on the GPU side and are gonna fix that this time around.

Time tables also matter. Like which flagship jumps to the market first. How fast due the cheap flagship killers take to get to the market or will chip orders be swallowed up by the big boys.

it would take 2015 quality levels for Samsung to skip the Snapdragon in NA

810, never forget

Jeffrey

hope 835 leads to better battery life on flagships and not them just going even thinner.

Don't really need much more performance atm.

Dio

Banned
What are the current best Android car head units?

Apparently Sony's recent XAV-AX100, although 499.99, is really responsive, simple, high quality, and supports both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

I'm not sure I want one of these crappy Chinese knockoff head units that about half the people who buy complain about.

I like weather time line but it's not free.

Nova launcher has the pixel launcher style search and weather that works too.

No full week forecast and the temperature is only in Fahrenheit.

i like HD Widgets with Colourform

I might have to check that out, but the screenshots didn't look that great.

Is that the paid version? That option isn't on there for me.
They moved it so the option is under the Labs setting now
To access the Labs setting, you have to open Nova Settings and hold down the volume button.

If you love widgets I highly recommend 1Weather. It also has one of the smallest RAM footprints of any decently featured weather app besides Weatherbug, that I've found, but with far fewer hiccups than Weatherbug. Try it out.

Chronus clock app also has great weather widgets, but it's running off Yahoo! weather which can be a bit behind the curve for some locations.

Thank you, 1Weather looks good, but it doesn't have the widget I prefer (4x1, current weather, forecast for the next couple of days).

e: I thought it would make sense to include a screenshot of the old app I used.

The second card was basically the widget on my home screen. It was nice, clean and simple. No refresh buttons ruining everything, no clock (because there's one on the status bar, ffs), no huge fonts.

Mindwipe

I'm really interested if the Exynos in the S8 will have all the Daydream optimisations.

Top Bottom