• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

DrAg0nBoY

Thinking about buying a 6P for my birthday but don't really know if I need it. My Nexus LG 5 is still working (although it crashes from time to time and the camera does not work always).

Should I buy the 6P or just wait and stick with my Nexus 5? But then, I don't know for what phone I should wait, lol.

LeleSocho

Banned
Really interested in the chipset game this year.

Qualcomm seems to be sleep walking as of late, but they got them patents.

Kirin in the likes of the Honor 8 has come on strong in the CPU department. The GPU sucks though and is like 2 gens behind.

Samsung putting in that work, but they seem content to still ship the Qualcomm bullshit in NA.

Early leeks make the Snap 835 feel like more of just a die shrink vs real improvement.

Supposedly they know Kirin shit the bed on the GPU side and are gonna fix that this time around.

Also who knows if Google does their own chip this time.

Time tables also matter. Like which flagship jumps to the market first. How fast due the cheap flagship killers take to get to the market or will chip orders be swallowed up by the big boys.

Surely, a custom SoC is imperative if they want to be the iPhone alternative on the Android side.

New Kirin 960 is already out on the Mate 9 and already has the Cortex A73 as more powerful core and the Mali G71 Bifrost GPU... from what i read it performs very very well better than anything else that it isn't the A10.
Since it's still at 16nm maybe we will see a die shrink later this year but i think the processor configuration will remain for the rest of 2017.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The 835 shrink should be great for battery, right?

Thinking about buying a 6P for my birthday but don't really know if I need it. My Nexus LG 5 is still working (although it crashes from time to time and the camera does not work always).

Should I buy the 6P or just wait and stick with my Nexus 5? But then, I don't know for what phone I should wait, lol.
Wait unless you can't. Don't get a 6P.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why? Is it only because of the battery or is there more?

6P is a 2 year old phone (2 cycles anyways) at this point, and the chipset is dog shit.

Your better off waiting for this year's crop of phones or else get the One Plus 3T/Honor 8 depending upon budget.

DrAg0nBoY

6P is a 2 year old phone (2 cycles anyways) at this point, and the chipset is dog shit.

Your better off waiting for this year's crop of phones or else get the One Plus 3T/Honor 8 depending upon budget.

Ok thanks. Will wait for what google shows this year. I don't know, I could be an idiot, but I really want only google phones and not other brand phones.

Well my Nexus 5 is still holding up, so I will then wait.

Vanillalite

Ok thanks. Will wait for what google shows this year. I don't know, I could be an idiot, but I really want only google phones and not other brand phones.

Well my Nexus 5 is still holding up, so I will then wait.

Expect to pay a premium from here on out if it has to be straight from Google.

That being said if you just want something close to stock no reason to not buy the One Plus either current model or the 2017 model when that drops.

Jeffrey

honor 6x priced at CES. $250 for 3gb ram, $300 for 4gb ram.

dual cameras, kirin 655. 5.5" 1080p.

Haven't seen any benchmarks for that processor yet but I assume its quicker than last year's SD 616.

Won't be as easy to slap CM/lineage on it though.

AndroidGAF, I need your help.

I've been using a weather app called "Simple Weather". It had a great looking 4x1 widget with no clock or any other nonsense, just the forecast for the next couple of days. It looked great, flat, material-ish.

It has been abandoned by the dev and no longer works anymore.

I've been browsing through the store, but there is so much garbage and if there is a similar simple weather app, then it doesn't have a (similar) widget.

Any recommendations?

Weather Timeline is exactly what you need/want. It's terrific.

DrAg0nBoY

Expect to pay a premium from here on out if it has to be straight from Google.

That being said if you just want something close to stock no reason to not buy the One Plus either current model or the 2017 model when that drops.

I know about the price yeah... And you are right, the reason is stock android. I will take a look at the new One Plus when it drops in 2017. Thanks.

No full week forecast and the temperature is only in Fahrenheit.

You can absolutely do Celsius in Weather Timeline. Is this basically what you're looking for in the second widget?

GxLPR7B.png

this_guy

Haven't seen any benchmarks for that processor yet but I assume its quicker than last year's SD 616.

From what I've seen the Kirin 655 should be comparable to the Snapdragon 625. It's an Octacore cpu with 4 A53 cores clocked at 2.1GHz (instead of using faster A72 or the newer A73 cores) and 4 slower A53 cores clocked at 1.7Ghz. The Moto Z Play last year used the Snapdragon 625 with similar cpu cores and general comments about performance were solid and snappy without stuttering. The Snapdragon's gpu is probably better.

Most importantly, is it EMUI 5.0?

Vanillalite

Hard sell on that Honor considering you could get the Honor 8 for under $300.

This is IMO why OnePlus made a clean cut. No reason to have the OP3 stick around and compete with yourself with the OP3T.

Vanillalite

Yeah quick Amazon check shows two color variants on the Honor 8 in the $280s.

Why buy the 6X when you could just get the 8?

Vanillalite

Honor 8 is Kirin 650 though isn't it? Also the MSRP of the 8 is still technically 400.

Honor 8 has Kirin 950

CPU cores are A72 vs the standard A53s in the Kirin 655.

Yep 950 as this guy said.

Plus while I get the MSRP argument companies can't hold their head in the sand to real world realities. I mean it's not even like it's sub $300 on B&H Photo. It's sub $300 on Amazon.

I feel like more companies are gonna have to manage stock better. Even if Honor was gonna try and cut Honor 8 supply it feels like there is too much product in the channel already effecting pricing.

Fezan

If you want to spend $350 to actively gimp yourself 2 cycles after the fact sure.

It's your money though.

One plus has no support no accessories in my country. Honor is much more expensive here and i can get a s7 flat or p9 for that price. Also inst the gpu in honor 8 dog shit

Vanillalite

One plus has no support no accessories in my country. Honor is much more expensive here and i can get a s7 flat or p9 for that price

Your already in year 2 of promised 6p support and the processor still has issues.

Wait it out till this year's crop of phones drop soon. Then get a last year device on the cheaper low.

Jeffrey

i recall the honor 5x price dropped fairly quickly, 6x would make a respectable sub $200 phone imo.

wonder how much the mate 9 is gonna cost in the US? Gotta be pretty competitive to match the OP3T. Will be dead if it's the same as EU price.

It's annoying how with the leica partnership, the cameras still suck compare to the competition.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
if I did a blind pic comparison between the Pixel XL and the Mate 9, I'm willing to bet it'd be tough for y'all to spot which one is which :p

I really want an Honor 8, but damn I cannot stand EMUI 4.1. It's not even about how it looks or it has no app drawer, I just don't like how it operates and how its notifications work.

if I did a blind pic comparison between the Pixel XL and the Mate 9, I'm willing to bet it'd be tough for y'all to spot which one is which :p

Everyone thinks they know how camera shots look until they are told to do a blind camera test. I definitely would not be able to tell what photo comes from which camera for the most part.

Jeffrey

I really want an Honor 8, but damn I cannot stand EMUI 4.1. It's not even about how it looks or it has no app drawer, I just don't like how it operates and how its notifications work.

Everyone thinks they know how camera shots look until they are told to do a blind camera test. I definitely would not be able to tell what photo comes from which camera for the most part.

isn't there a pretty stable 5.0 beta build out for honor 8 ? probably this or next month for stable.

Since I bought an iPhone 7 last year I haven't spent a lot of time in Android GAF, but I'm really excited to read/watch all the new phone reviews this year. I can't wait to see how companies move forward from 2016 and I am excited to see how the 835 performs in real-world usage because, it sounds like a huge improvement in efficiency on paper. Also, I hope Android Wear can come back into the spotlight because, we really need more wearables with Pebble gone. :(

That being said I cannot see myself buying a ton of devices this year like I have made the bad habit of doing in the past. Moving forward the only two devices I will consider buying are the new Pixel and iPhone (And maybe a future Surface Phone?).

Jeffrey

Since I bought an iPhone 7 last year I haven't spent a lot of time in Android GAF, but I'm really excited to read/watch all the new phone reviews this year. I can't wait to see how companies move forward from 2016 and I am excited to see how the 835 performs in real-world usage because, it sounds like a huge improvement in efficiency on paper. Also, I hope Android Wear can come back into the spotlight because, we really need more wearables with Pebble gone. :(

That being said I cannot see myself buying a ton of devices this year like I have made the bad habit of doing in the past. Moving forward the only two devices I will consider buying are the new Pixel and iPhone (And maybe a future Surface Phone?).

i might pick up a mate 9 off amazon and play with it for the return period.

oneplus 4 seems potentially good if they up the resolution to 1440p and improve on the camera.

s8... no clue, but it seems like its gonna be pretty interesting this year so that might be something worth looking at?

still think its too early for googles own processor, maybe for pixel 3.

google watch could be neat though.

Aku-Audi

So I am in the market for a new Android phone after not updating for like...5 years. I don't really care for high end gaming or anything like that on mobile, but it would still be good to have something that isn't generations behind for like 200-300 bucks. Any suggestions from AndroidGAF?

i might pick up a mate 9 off amazon and play with it for the return period.

oneplus 4 seems potentially good if they up the resolution to 1440p and improve on the camera.

s8... no clue, but it seems like its gonna be pretty interesting this year so that might be something worth looking at?

still think its too early for googles own processor, maybe for pixel 3.

google watch could be neat though.
Owning this iPhone I have come to the conclusion that software is key so no matter how amazing the S8 hardware turns out to be (And I'm sure it will be amazing) I have no interesting getting one knowing I'm going to wait months for software patches and I also have no more patience to deal with carrier bloatware bull-crap. The software issue is kind of the same story with OnePlus since they take their time updating phones and now that the OP3 got updated it is still behind 7.1 and that's likely going to be the same when the OP2 gets its update. I will be keeping an eye on Google this year because, I recall there was some shiftiness involving the Nexus 5X/6P when it came to updating them in favor of letting the Pixel have the latest updates so I will be watching to see how fast the Pixel phone gets updated.

Jeffrey

Samsung confirms there will be a new note in 2nd half of 2017. Might be 4k? Thing is gonna explode in gearvr lol.

Owning this iPhone I have come to the conclusion that software is key so no matter how amazing the S8 hardware turns out to be (And I'm sure it will be amazing) I have no interesting getting one knowing I'm going to wait months for software patches and I also have no more patience to deal with carrier bloatware bull-crap. The software issue is kind of the same story with OnePlus since they take their time updating phones and now that the OP3 got updated it is still behind 7.1 and that's likely going to be the same when the OP2 gets its update. I will be keeping an eye on Google this year because, I recall there was some shiftiness involving the Nexus 5X/6P when it came to updating them in favor of letting the Pixel have the latest updates so I will be watching to see how fast the Pixel phone gets updated.

At this point I'm fine with software state for android and ios (i do wish ios had better homescreen management though). Not really sure what else one needs really, and honestly the 'latest and greatest' of pixel is just features that's been on samsung and LG for years lol. Splitscreen is still kinda limited compare to older implementations.

At this point I just care about performance, in which oneplus and huawei flagships are still the best atm. battery is important as well.

Give me a legit phone that last me 2 days of power using.

Are there any new rumors about the Samsung Galaxy S8?
like funk said, bigger screen by way of reduced bezels. fingerprint sensor either moved to the back or embedded into the display, AI assistant with a stupid name, potentially a continuum like feature, potentially no 3.5mm if that matters to you, dual camera, etc...

Avixph

Bigger screen, fingerprint sensor on the back, AI assistant, brand new design. Might be forgetting some others....

like funk said, bigger screen by way of reduced bezels. fingerprint sensor either moved to the back or embedded into the display, AI assistant with a stupid name, potentially a continuum like feature, potentially no 3.5mm if that matters to you, dual camera, etc...
Thanks you two.

Jeffrey

Honor 6x got a pretty beefy battery and a low power cpu. Android authority says they get about 1.5 days of hefty usage.

So basically moto z play battery. Camera is OK too. Might be the ultimate phone for parents.

ty_hot

What's the best camera I can get up to 450? I can get used / refurbished as well. Would prefer a phone with Nougat if camera difference isn't big.

I'm even thinking about getting an used HTC M9 just to wait till the summer when last year phones will be cheaper.

I almost got the OP3T, but gave up for a while as they should release a new phone with the new Qualcomm processor that seems promising.

Top Bottom