• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Asgaro

LG is about to release the ideal smartphone apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-N5cZBcl0

LG-G6-water-resistant-01.jpg

Sony Xperia Compact rival.
Let's go.

probably, but the lack of double tap to wake makes the lockscreen ultimately pointless for me lol.

Huawei's fingerprint sensor is stupid fast as always, but it being on the back makes it slightly more annoying when i have my phone on the desk.

I agree, but for everything else I love it on the back.

I absolutely fell in love with the fingerprint gestures which are very useful, like swiping down on the sensor to pull down the notification panel. Huge huge help for one handed use. Personally for me I can't see it anywhere else than on the back, purely for the gestures.

In a perfect scenario I'd like 2 in a phone, both one on the front and another on the back lol.

Jeffrey

Something about the rear of the htc u looks... terrible? Might be the ugliest looking glass back phone ive seen in recent memory.

htc-u-ultra-first-look-aa-17-of-24-840x560.jpg

htc-u-ultra-first-look-aa-16-of-24-840x472.jpg

Something about it just seems... cheap? Maybe they should have done the funky diffusion effect that honor 8 and s7 did.

I'm reading that sapphire glass screen is on the 128gb model? First phone to do that?

Nokia on android should hopefully mean another solid camera option. There window phones have generally been good on hardware too.

I agree, but for everything else I love it on the back.

I absolutely fell in love with the fingerprint gestures which are very useful, like swiping down on the sensor to pull down the notification panel. Huge huge help for one handed use. Personally for me I can't see it anywhere else than on the back, purely for the gestures.

In a perfect scenario I'd like 2 in a phone, both one on the front and another on the back lol.

Is there a good place to provide feedback to huawei for their international folks? I notice a pretty empty subreddit, not sure if they have a forum or facebook page or something?

Nokia on android should hopefully mean another solid camera option. There window phones have generally been good on hardware too.

Is there a good place to provide feedback to huawei for their international folks? I notice a pretty empty subreddit, not sure if they have a forum or facebook page or something?

No, there isn't. Just your average run of the mill costumer support that will ignore everything you say and never pass up any info to anyone that matters within the brand.

Nokia scares me a little to be honest when it comes to my brand, I think they will be huge competition.

Part of me is happy though that they return. It seems, from what I've read of the Nokia 8, that they'll be coming out with all the guns this time around.

Nokia toppling huawei anytime soon... would be something.

Well I don't know really. Nokia's brand awareness and recognition is HUGE, huge, and in my opinion everyone will stop and take a look at what their phones will be like. It doesn't matter whether you like Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Nokia is Nokia and when they release these Android phones everyone will take a look at them. That's a good first step, to have people in store take a very curious look because everyone knows them, everyone has had one of their phones, and millions and millions of people were satisfied with the brand. And specially, trust. People just trust Nokia, generally.

I know I'll be all over them once they come in store. I'm hugely curious and I'm obviously loyal to Huawei. I can imagine non loyal people... If the phones are any good and specially, if they are launched with lower price tags than the competition then yeah, I'm mildly afraid.

It's a very exciting time though, I'm hugely anticipating their launch. Kind of like I was when Motorola relaunched and Blackberry launched Android phones, but multiplied by a thousand.

Jeffrey

Well I don't know really. Nokia's brand awareness and recognition is HUGE, huge, and in my opinion everyone will stop and take a look at what their phones will be like. It doesn't matter whether you like Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Nokia is Nokia and when they release these Android phones everyone will take a look at them. That's a good first step, to have people in store take a very curious look because everyone knows them, everyone has had one of their phones, and millions and millions of people were satisfied with the brand. And specially, trust. People just trust Nokia, generally.

I know I'll be all over them once they come in store. I'm hugely curious and I'm obviously loyal to Huawei. I can imagine non loyal people... If the phones are any good and specially, if they are launched with lower price tags than the competition then yeah, I'm mildly afraid.

It's a very exciting time though, I'm hugely anticipating their launch. Kind of like I was when Motorola relaunched and Blackberry launched Android phones, but multiplied by a thousand.

Might be a regional thing? Don't feel like Nokia been respectable since pre iPhone era in the US.

Did blackberry make a big splash when they went android?

Might be a regional thing? Don't feel like Nokia been respectable since pre iPhone era in the US.

Did blackberry make a big splash when they went android?

I did mean people hold them in high regard exactly for their pre-smartphone era. And the brand has stayed in their mind all these dark years ever since, despite nearly disappearing. But that's how I know it still has huge brand awareness and respect. People haven't owned one in years and still ask whether they'll return, they'll speak fondly of old Nokias, their reliability, construction, etc.

This feeling is stronger in Europe than in the US.

Blackberry was dead and buried when they went Android, which didn't stop me from being curious about their entrance in the Android world. They made zero splash though, in all honesty, looking at them, I dunno why it would be different with Nokia lol. Guess it's just a feeling I have.

Jeffrey

I did mean people hold them in high regard exactly for their pre-smartphone era. And the brand has stayed in their mind all these dark years ever since, despite nearly disappearing. But that's how I know it still has huge brand awareness and respect. People haven't owned one in years and still ask whether they'll return, they'll speak fondly of old Nokias, their reliability, construction, etc.

This feeling is stronger in Europe than in the US.

Blackberry was dead and buried when they went Android, which didn't stop me from being curious about their entrance in the Android world. They made zero splash though, in all honesty, looking at them, I dunno why it would be different with Nokia lol. Guess it's just a feeling I have.

guess it depends on how its packaged and marketed.

On a side note, holy shit is the preinstalled plastic screen protector on the mate 9... really good.

Like ive never seen a non glass screen protector that looks and feel as good as this lol.

Impressive stuff huawei.

Mindwipe

My XA is set up more or less. It's pretty good, but can anyone explain the logic of pre-installing Docs, Sheets and Slides on a 16GB phone? They're not mandatory, they're enormous, and this is not a business orientated handset. It seems bizarre.

Nikodemos

My XA is set up more or less. It's pretty good, but can anyone explain the logic of pre-installing Docs, Sheets and Slides on a 16GB phone? They're not mandatory, they're enormous, and this is not a business orientated handset. It seems bizarre.
Google fuckery. Hopefully they'll stop this once they get their arses fined off by the European Comission.

Mindwipe

Google fuckery. Hopefully they'll stop this once they get their arses fined off by the European Comission.

But they're not on the Google list of mandatory apps. I mean, they could have paid Sony to include them separately, but that seems a weird, weird choice. Especially when stuff like Keep isn't pre-installed any more.

And it's entirely self defeating, as it means the devices are fuller much quicker, and

They also don't use the stub APIs that Google themselves put in by the looks of it, so they can't be uninstalled. Grrrrr.

Edit: No gyroscope. Ahhh, I wondered what the shitty downside of a phone this cheap was.

this_guy

When Microsoft bought Nokia's smartphone division did they also buy their smartphone camera tech? If Nokia focused on their cameras like they did with their high end Lumias I'm sure it'll attract people. I used a Lumia 920 and 925 and both felt great in the hand even though they were plastic (and the 920 was a brick).

Mindwipe

There's no way that flash placement is legit on the S8 render. No way.

When Microsoft bought Nokia's smartphone division did they also buy their smartphone camera tech? If Nokia focused on their cameras like they did with their high end Lumias I'm sure it'll attract people. I used a Lumia 920 and 925 and both felt great in the hand even though they were plastic (and the 920 was a brick).

They took most of the IP, but not really the engineers, and any they took have left by now anyway. Some will have drifted to Apple in the meantime I imagine, but there's still quite the pool of talent.

Mindwipe

with no physical buttons, hope they allow you to flip the nav buttons to be more like stock android?

You'd have to assume so. I can't imagine they kept the physical ones in that order for any reason other than they were petrified about reaction from people upgrading from another Samsung. Once you stop using physical keys you can finally dump it.

RuGalz

or they keep the on screen button the same order as before so people who are used of Samsung phones won't freak out. and don't give you the option to change it!

Kind of sad that the trend this year will probably be curved screens. I really hate them since you pretty much cannot put a glass screen protector on one. Although, I guess that's kind of the same story for 2.5D glass.

Ptaaty

Can someone recommend me a couple phones? I have an LG G2 that I love, but its getting real old (battery capacity down to 2/3, 32GB non-expandable).

Criteria:
Off contract, Price $250 max if new, under $200 highly desirable
Used/refurb is OK.
ATT network

Priority of features:
1*. Camera - I have a DSLR, I want good quality in the 90% of times all I have is my phone. Easily the big one for me.
2. Screen - 5.3-5.7" larger side better
3. Battery. Removable is big deal as well.
4. Updates
5. Performance. Don't care about games, just everything else. Built in must be 64GB, if expandable, 32GB is OK for built in.

My short list:
1. LG V10. Can get new for $250. Top notch camera, good screen size. Battery is weaker than desired but replaceable. Updates iffy in US due to limited sales.
2. LG G4. $<150 used. Almost bought - but hardware boot issues / too risky.
3. ????
4. ????

Jeffrey

Can someone recommend me a couple phones? I have an LG G2 that I love, but its getting real old (battery capacity down to 2/3, 32GB non-expandable).

Criteria:
Off contract, Price $250 max if new, under $200 highly desirable
Used/refurb is OK.
ATT network

Priority of features:
1. Camera
2. Screen - 5.3-5.7" larger side better
3. Battery. Removable is big deal as well.
4. Updates
5. Performance. Don't care about games, just everything else. Built in must be 64GB, if expandable, 32GB is OK for built in.

My short list:
1. LG V10. Can get new for $250.
2. LG G4. $<150 used. Almost bought - but hardware boot issues / too risky.
3. ????
4. ????

don't expect prominent updates for $250 new or used. LG is basically the only place that does removable batteries.

for new, the just released honor 6x hits 1 2 5 on that list. not removable battery but impressions are good for life.

Beware though, EMUI 4.1 is quite far from stock android.

Android Police further confirming that the S8 will have a headphone jack. They sound confident based off their sources and got a lot right with the Pixel rumors. It's going to be hilarious when LG unveils the G6 and it doesn't have a headphone jack. Alongside HTC also dropping it because "Well everybody else is doing it".
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/13/rumor-the-galaxy-s8-will-have-a-headphone-jack-after-all/

Don't they sell 2.5D glass screen protectors?
Most of them advertise 2.5D glass, but a lot of them will say "Doesn't cover full display due to the curved glass" and so it really does not work as well. Not to mention, you also get that rainbow effect on the edge of the screen a lot of the time if you have one on.

Ptaaty

don't expect prominent updates for $250 new or used. LG is basically the only place that does removable batteries.

for new, the just released honor 6x hits 1 2 5 on that list. not removable battery but impressions are good for life.

Beware though, EMUI 4.1 is quite far from stock android.

Thank you, that is the type of recommendation I was looking for. I will have to look into the software side...I used to do the rooting / custom ROM bit if supported.

Battery is a trade for me - when it gets good enough I don't need removable. The removable is mostly to refresh / replace after a year plus of charges.

suplex

Hello fellow Android friends, I’m having some bootloop issues with my Nexus 6p as well as other phone annoyances and am looking for some advice. I’m going to be as detailed as possible, so sorry for the length of this post but please stick with me.

-About a week ago my 6p froze, made a short buzzing sound, turned off and started looping at the Google logo. It booted up a couple times after that but froze and reset each time pretty fast.

-I could get into the bootloader menu, but any option I chose resulted in a bootloop. My bootloader was locked, and research told me there was nothing I could do to bring it back to life.

-I contacted Huawei who told me all they would do is flash it back to an older version, and if that worked, they would send it back and I shouldn’t update it. I also would be without a phone for 7-10 days. Really garbage if you ask me but they wouldn’t budge from this.

-Since I really can’t be without a phone for that long combined with my bad luck when it comes to phones, I decide to get a decent backup phone for these situations and settled on a Moto G4 Play. I get the phone and a sim adapter, transfer the sim and it works fine.

-Since I’m really hoping to somehow get into the 6p just to backup photos, I delayed the RMA and continued to try to boot into the phone. Finally yesterday I decide to call Huawei, and charge the 6p at work so I can get into the barcodes screen in the bootloader when setting up the RMA. When I grab the phone from the charger, miraculously its booted. I’m able to to backup some pictures before it freezes up again about 15 minutes later. I notice I can actually get into recovery mode, so I wipe the cache and try to boot again. It keeps freezing at the android animation, but finally gets in. At this point the phone is working and I’m able to backup all the pictures. During this time I swapped the sim card back into the 6p, and also unlocked the bootloader in the developer menu. It finally freezes back up after 7 hours or so, and back to bootloop. I did notice the bootloader said it was still locked after this so I’m not sure what I did wrong there.

-I swap the sim card and adapter back into the G4 Play and it tells me there’s no sim card. So now I’m back to no working phone. I do some research and others have had similar issues with this phone. At least I can return it to Amazon since it’s only a week old.

-Since I backed up everything I needed on the 6p, I get into recovery mode and do a factory reset. It’s still bootlooping but eventually gets back in, and the 6p is where I’m posting this from. The sim card works fine, so I’m not sure if the issue with the G4 Play is with the phone itself or the sim adapter.

So now that I can somewhat get the 6p working, is my best bet still to send it to Huawei to get it “fixed” or should I unlock the bootloader and try to fix it myself, if that’s even possible? I did a little bit of research and saw something about being able to sideload via adb or something like that. Obviously I’d need to do more research on this.

As far as the G4 Play goes I’m probably going to just return it, unless there’s some fix I’m not aware of. I did order a sadapter, which seems to be a highly recommended sim adapter that will get here Sunday, so I might to see if that works first. I still want to have a backup phone regardless of what happens with the 6p, so does anyone have any recommendations on a decent backup phone for under $200? I’m on Verizon.

Sorry for the word vomit, and thanks for any help!

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/272354-image/Galaxy-S8-edge-case-renders.jpg

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/272353-image/Galaxy-S8-edge-case-renders.jpg

The camera reminds of the S4. Ugh:

http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s-4-i9500-black-mist.jpg

all 3 buttons on the same side... no fingerprint reader on the back... this has to mean they have tap or press to wake right?

There's no way that flash placement is legit on the S8 render. No way.

they had it below the camera module on some devices, beside it on others... why not above?

Kind of sad that the trend this year will probably be curved screens. I really hate them since you pretty much cannot put a glass screen protector on one. Although, I guess that's kind of the same story for 2.5D glass.

screen protectors are lame anyway. just throw on a raggedy old piece of plastic on the screen if that's such a huge concern.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Got my Moto Z Play today and I can tell I'm going to love this device. Been using it for the last 30 minutes and have had 3% battery drain. Oh boy! It's gonna be great, I can feel it.

Got my Moto Z Play today and I can tell I'm going to love this device. Been using it for the last 30 minutes and have had 3% battery drain. Oh boy! It's gonna be great, I can feel it.
what's funny about that phone is the battery isn't even HUUUUGE for a 5.5 inch phone. Like it's big but it's mostly because the screen is 1080p and the software isn't bloaty AF. Throw a 3500mah in to combine with those and it's a great recipe.

Sorry for the word vomit, and thanks for any help!
honestly sounds like a lost cause to keep that phone

Top Bottom