• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Yeah at this point I'm more interested in battery than performance. Don't really play super graphics games on phones or care too much about vr or the camera.

I'm actually kinda bummed. Mate 9 spoils me so bad with the screen size and battery life.

Hard to regress unless other phones offer something similar.

Magni

Hey everyone,

I unwillingly jumped off the WP ship when I moved to Japan a year ago and got a Z5c. Having apps has been nice, but performance and battery life have been dreadful, and I'm reaching the point where I need to buy a new phone before I break my phone in half in a fit of rage. I'll be in the US for work in a couple of weeks and am looking to buy it then.

I'm looking for a phone that doesn't overheat every other time I use it, and that has a battery that can actually last a day of normal usage. Ideally, it wouldn't be too big (5.5" absolute maximum, ideally between 4.5 and 5.2). It needs to be able to reliably play Pokemon Go (the Z5c, more often than not, can't) and have LTE with Docomo in Japan (also having US T-Mo LTE would be a plus). Budget is around USD 400-500. Other than that, I want a decent camera and a design that isn't fugly. In short, I don't really care about nitty gritty technical specs, just something I can rely on daily for the next couple of years.

Right now I'm looking at the Moto Z Play and the Nexus 5X. Which of these would you recommend? Is there a different one I should be looking at? In terms of updates, I'd like to keep the phone for more than a year this time around, 18-24 months.

Thanks for any help GAF!

Hey everyone,

I unwillingly jumped off the WP ship when I moved to Japan a year ago and got a Z5c. Having apps has been nice, but performance and battery life have been dreadful, and I'm reaching the point where I need to buy a new phone before I break my phone in half in a fit of rage. I'll be in the US for work in a couple of weeks and am looking to buy it then.

I'm looking for a phone that doesn't overheat every other time I use it, and that has a battery that can actually last a day of normal usage. Ideally, it wouldn't be too big (5.5" absolute maximum, ideally between 4.5 and 5.2). It needs to be able to reliably play Pokemon Go (the Z5c, more often than not, can't) and have LTE with Docomo in Japan (also having US T-Mo LTE would be a plus). Budget is around USD 400-500. Other than that, I want a decent camera and a design that isn't fugly. In short, I don't really care about nitty gritty technical specs, just something I can rely on daily for the next couple of years.

Right now I'm looking at the Moto Z Play and the Nexus 5X. Which of these would you recommend? Is there a different one I should be looking at? In terms of updates, I'd like to keep the phone for more than a year this time around, 18-24 months.

Thanks for any help GAF!
pixel is my first reco. Between the new moto z play and the 5x....tbh I'd take the z play. Updates may not be super reliable because moto can be random and drop support before you know it.

But now with the pixel around google could do the same for the 5X....but probably not. If not a pixel then you should nab a OnePlus 3T. Not sure what the stock looks like online though.

Magni

pixel is my first reco. Between the new moto z play and the 5x....tbh I'd take the z play. Updates may not be super reliable because moto can be random and drop support before you know it.

But now with the pixel around google could do the same for the 5X....but probably not. If not a pixel then you should nab a OnePlus 3T. Not sure what the stock looks like online though.

Isn't the Pixel Verizon-only?

As for the OnePlus 3T, I've heard bad things about support/warranty. Are those valid concerns or overblown?

ElNino

As for the OnePlus 3T, I've heard bad things about support/warranty. Are those valid concerns or overblown?
I haven't had any problems with the OP3, but I also haven't had to deal with them since buying it. If you are buying a phone in the US though and using it in Japan, what sort of warranty support would you expect to have?

Isn't the Pixel Verizon-only?

you can use it on other carriers but I guess it's over budget if you have to buy it off contract.

TBH you're going to get poor support with a lot of android purchases :p Oneplus has gotten better I've read but I'm sure there's still stories. Many consider it one of the best phones if not the best from last year so you can't go wrong with it.

Personally, I'd just try and spring for an iPhone 6S. I feel like Android still has issues with performance degradation so I'd be wary recommending a phone for somebody to use for the next two years. Not to mention, if you are concerned about warranty support if you need it than you will have a terrible experience regardless of which Android phone you buy. It'd be more than you want to spend, but you could grab a 32GB 6S for $550 and that it will pretty much satisfy all your needs for two years or more. Although, personally I'd really try and spring the $100 for the iPhone 7. Alternatively you could maybe get the 64GB iPhone SE for $450, but that 4" screen is super painful for me to go back to.

The Moto Z Play seems like a nice phone, but Motorola will probably drop it for new updates quickly and I feel like price wise you are pretty much just paying for that battery life compared to getting something like the OnePlus 3T.

Magni

I haven't had any problems with the OP3, but I also haven't had to deal with them since buying it. If you are buying a phone in the US though and using it in Japan, what sort of warranty support would you expect to have?

you can use it on other carriers but I guess it's over budget if you have to buy it off contract.

TBH you're going to get poor support with a lot of android purchases :p Oneplus has gotten better I've read but I'm sure there's still stories. Many consider it one of the best phones if not the best from last year so you can't go wrong with it.

If you worry about warranty why not just get a phone in Japan?

Otherwise I believe Apple covers warranties everywhere?

Personally, I'd just try and spring for an iPhone 6S. I feel like Android still has issues with performance degradation so I'd be wary recommending a phone for somebody to use for the next two years. Not to mention, if you are concerned about warranty support if you need it than you will have a terrible experience regardless of which Android phone you buy. It'd be more than you want to spend, but you could grab a 32GB 6S for $550 and that it will pretty much satisfy all your needs for two years or more. Although, personally I'd really try and spring the $100 for the iPhone 7. Alternatively you could maybe get the 64GB iPhone SE for $450, but that 4" screen is super painful for me to go back to.

The Moto Z Play seems like a nice phone, but Motorola will probably drop it for new updates quickly and I feel like price wise you are pretty much just paying for that battery life compared to getting something like the OnePlus 3T.

Thanks for the answers everyone. Regarding the warranty stuff, the issue isn't me living in Japan - I'm in the US all the time for work. I've already had to use the US warranty on other products (MS Band) since living in Japan with zero issues. It's just that I'd read that OnePlus wasn't as customer-friendly as other companies. When my Band's band snapped, MS replaced it no questions asked. Apparently OnePlus is a much bigger pain to deal with if something were to happen to my phone. So that was my question, have people had experience with their customer support? Good? Bad?

Regarding iOS, I use my wife's iPhone all the time, and that keyboard... Android is already a significant step down* from WP and that was hard enough, I can't deal with iOS's. Deal breaker for me.

Leaning more and more towards the Z Play, thanks everyone.

*I'm currently using SwiftKey for EN/ES/FR and the Google Japanese keyboard for Japanese, is there another keyboard I should be using instead? SwiftKey is usually decent compared to WP stock, but sometimes just plain awful ("Loading predictions").

Thanks for the answers everyone. Regarding the warranty stuff, the issue isn't me living in Japan - I'm in the US all the time for work. I've already had to use the US warranty on other products (MS Band) since living in Japan with zero issues. It's just that I'd read that OnePlus wasn't as customer-friendly as other companies. When my Band's band snapped, MS replaced it no questions asked. Apparently OnePlus is a much bigger pain to deal with if something were to happen to my phone. So that was my question, have people had experience with their customer support? Good? Bad?

Regarding iOS, I use my wife's iPhone all the time, and that keyboard... Android is already a significant step down* from WP and that was hard enough, I can't deal with iOS's. Deal breaker for me.

Leaning more and more towards the Z Play, thanks everyone.

*I'm currently using SwiftKey for EN/ES/FR and the Google Japanese keyboard for Japanese, is there another keyboard I should be using instead? SwiftKey is usually decent compared to WP stock, but sometimes just plain awful ("Loading predictions").
the z play is not a bad phone at all. Only question mark will be support a year from now. You never know with motorola. You'll enjoy the battery life and near-stock android though. Battery life is second to none.

Yea I got the official Huawei case which is meh. Might get a Spigen case for it though.
why did you decide that phone? Not saying it's bad or questioning, I'm genuinely asking what made you end up getting it.

Jeffrey

don't know about jazz, but for a phone thats constantly under $300, one of the snappiest phones in 2016 (beats most of the flagships in "speed tests"), solid dual camera, a rare sub 5.5" phone, and one of the sexiest looking phones of the last year (love the blue), there are reasons to pick it up :p

Really enjoyed my time with it before returning it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Jesus christ this battery life is absolutely insane guys. Believe the hype for Moto Z Play battery because it's real. Phone is snappy too. No regret on my purchase so far!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The 4" iPhone SE screen is bothering me more than I thought it would. Feels so cramped. But being able to completely engulf the phone in one hand is sweet.

Wish Google would release three models of Pixel. 4", 5", 6". Based.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For those of you that follow me on Twitter (add me @badbrobot), you know I'm in Shanghai right now. I went into a Huawei store and wow. Lots of hype over the Mate 9.

5teFiSih.jpg

2T3MzI4.jpg

I thought it was a lot of people until I went into the Apple Store. China loves Apple.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 4" iPhone SE screen is bothering me more than I thought it would. Feels so cramped. But being able to completely engulf the phone in one hand is sweet.

It's an amazing phone, but I couldn't get over the size either. I mean, I adjusted and it was very cool having a device that small be so powerful, felt very futuristic, but my job entails me reading documents and spreadsheets from my phone. I also often need to show people data off my phone screen and it was a real pain.

Jeffrey

For those of you that follow me on Twitter (add me @badbrobot), you know I'm in Shanghai right now. I went into a Huawei store and wow. Lots of hype over the Mate 9.

I thought it was a lot of people until I went into the Apple Store. China loves Apple.

I feel like every inch of Shanghai has a lot of people regardless lol.

Did you get your hands on the mate 9 pro? How does that look and feel?

Bboy AJ

I feel like every inch of Shanghai has a lot of people regardless lol.

Did you get your hands on the mate 9 pro? How does that look and feel?
Felt nice. Sleek and much thinner feeling than my 6P. I don't know the comparative stats but it just felt thinner. The rear looked great. Screen was nothing out of the ordinary. Buttons had great feel. Didn't get to test out the vibration, which is a huge, huge consideration for me. Bad vibration motors just show a lack of care to a product. Vibration isn't a check box. There's a world of difference between vibration motors.

Mate 9 Pro was quality. Hardware wise, I preferred it over my 6P. Didn't seem priced cheap, though. Huawei phones are no longer the best value per dollar IMO. If you can stand the software, you have a winner. The color finish looked good, too.

Huawei phones are no longer the best value per dollar IMO. If you can stand the software, you have a winner. The color finish looked good, too.

Yeah and it's only gonna get "worse". They're gonna get more and more expensive, unfortunately.

Honor phones will continue the legacy of bang for buck.

this_guy

what's funny about that phone is the battery isn't even HUUUUGE for a 5.5 inch phone. Like it's big but it's mostly because the screen is 1080p and the software isn't bloaty AF. Throw a 3500mah in to combine with those and it's a great recipe.

honestly sounds like a lost cause to keep that phone

It's mainly that Snapdragon 625 chip. It has like twice the screen on time of the Moto G4 and G4 Plus, which are also 1080p at 5.5 inches but with a 3000mah battery.

Wish Google would release three models of Pixel. 4", 5", 6". Based.
when I used SE for the brief period I did (couple months) you immediately remember what's amazing about being able to completely grip a phone in one hand and do anything with one hand. Feels so good. But then over time the screen does start getting cramped and limited. It's why I wish for pixel 2 google keeps the same screen size for the 5 inch model and reduces the bezels a lot for a smaller body. And then for the big one reduce the bezels but increase the screen size for the same body.

Everybody wins in that scenario. Google wins because more differentiation between the two. People who want big ass phones win. People who want the most out of a smaller phone win.

Jesus christ this battery life is absolutely insane guys. Believe the hype for Moto Z Play battery because it's real. Phone is snappy too. No regret on my purchase so far!
I've heard (from some on here) that multitasking can be a bit of an issue with the Moto Z Play.

They said that PocketCasts would stop playing if you were doing something like Google Maps navigation at the same time.

Is that a common issue with the phone, or is there a way to fix it? I listen to a LOT of podcasts especially when I'm driving and that would be a bit of a deal breaker for me with this phone.

bob page

Anyone have any tips for boosting battery life on a S7 Edge? I've only had mine for a few months but never really got more than 3.5 hours SOT. I have all the extra Edge stuff disabled and don't really keep anything running/syncing in the background except for the Google apps.

Anyone have any tips for boosting battery life on a S7 Edge? I've only had mine for a few months but never really got more than 3.5 hours SOT. I have all the extra Edge stuff disabled and don't really keep anything running/syncing in the background except for the Google apps.

Do you have Facebook installed? Check to see what eats up your battery most.

bob page

Do you have Facebook installed? Check to see what eats up your battery most.

Not the official app- just Swipe along with the first party Messenger app. Messenger always shows up as a few percentage points but the main culprit is usually just Android System and other OS processes.

ty_hot

I can get the Honor 8 for 330 in FNAC until tomorrow morning, should I get it? (its actually 347 and I get a 17 euros to spend later, so, yeah, 330...)

The deal seems great as its normally 400 euros, but I see it also under 350 in Amazon... and with new phones coming maybe this will end up being its normal price soon... I dont play games on my phone but the GPU is considerably weaker than the other phones, which is holding me... and it also doesnt have APTX support for bluetooth audio (I use it everyday)...

Is the camera great? How far from the S7 in terms of quality? Better than the OnePlus 3T?

edit. they dropped the support for the late 2015 phones already, they are not getting the Android 7. I guess I will just wait a little longer, dont want to spend 300+ in a phone that they will update to the 7.0 when the 7.1 is already available and probably never update it again (not to the 7.1 and surely not the 8 when it comes later this year...). I know the Android updates are not giving much lately, but I just cant believe you pay so much for a phone and they just dont care and drop the support so quick. The H8 itself was released in July, the Nougat only a month later. It took them 6 months to prepare the 7.0 update when the 7.1 is already around (they could at least delay the update and bring the newest)...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've heard (from some on here) that multitasking can be a bit of an issue with the Moto Z Play.

They said that PocketCasts would stop playing if you were doing something like Google Maps navigation at the same time.

Is that a common issue with the phone, or is there a way to fix it? I listen to a LOT of podcasts especially when I'm driving and that would be a bit of a deal breaker for me with this phone.
I will try this out.

edit. they dropped the support for the late 2015 phones already, they are not getting the Android 7. I guess I will just wait a little longer, dont want to spend 300+ in a phone that they will update to the 7.0 when the 7.1 is already available and probably never update it again (not to the 7.1 and surely not the 8 when it comes later this year...). I know the Android updates are not giving much lately, but I just cant believe you pay so much for a phone and they just dont care and drop the support so quick. The H8 itself was released in July, the Nougat only a month later. It took them 6 months to prepare the 7.0 update when the 7.1 is already around (they could at least delay the update and bring the newest)...

I feel like every Android phone except Google's are good for one major update before they're pretty much abandoned. I mean, has there even been any news about nougat for say the G4, V10, S6, OP2, and the like?

reKon

Banned
Don't buy a G4. Nooooo

The Nextbit Robin is $160 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D9LVCAI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That phone might explode if you drop it

Android Police further confirming that the S8 will have a headphone jack. They sound confident based off their sources and got a lot right with the Pixel rumors. It's going to be hilarious when LG unveils the G6 and it doesn't have a headphone jack. Alongside HTC also dropping it because "Well everybody else is doing it".
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/13/rumor-the-galaxy-s8-will-have-a-headphone-jack-after-all/

Most of them advertise 2.5D glass, but a lot of them will say "Doesn't cover full display due to the curved glass" and so it really does not work as well. Not to mention, you also get that rainbow effect on the edge of the screen a lot of the time if you have one on.

Oh lord I'm looking forward to this. That classic misdirection. This would be like some Sony level deception.

PS4 pricing is another more recent example.

I feel like every Android phone except Google's are good for one major update before they're pretty much abandoned. I mean, has there even been any news about nougat for say the G4, V10, S6, OP2, and the like?

Samsung phones typically make it through 2 major version updates.

My Note 4 started all the way back on KK (4.4) and finished it's update cycle on MM (6.0.1). It's sad that I won't ever see Nougat but I'm not complaining that much considering where I started.

The S6 and S7 should both get Nougat. Not sure about the others.

Samsung phones typically make it through 2 major version updates.

My Note 4 started all the way back on KK (4.4) and finished it's update cycle on MM (6.0.1). It's sad that I won't ever see Nougat but I'm not complaining that much considering where I started.

The S6 and S7 should both get Nougat. Not sure about the others.

and it's still getting the monthly security updates for the 3rd year

Jeffrey

how is note 4 these days, in terms of battery and performance?

how do sammy's age? Can they usually last 1-2 years without huge performance/battery issues?

Top Bottom