• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

how is note 4 these days, in terms of battery and performance?

how do sammy's age? Can they usually last 1-2 years without huge performance/battery issues?

Note 4 is the only phone I had that lasted more than 1 year.

Performance and battery did take a huge dip though...but i think its because i didnt want do a clean reset, i was just too lazy to redo everything again.

teiresias

I've heard (from some on here) that multitasking can be a bit of an issue with the Moto Z Play.

They said that PocketCasts would stop playing if you were doing something like Google Maps navigation at the same time.

Is that a common issue with the phone, or is there a way to fix it? I listen to a LOT of podcasts especially when I'm driving and that would be a bit of a deal breaker for me with this phone.

I said it was happening to me, but it was remedied by turning off battery optimization on the apps I tended to run together (basically maps, play music, audible, and Pocketcasts) and needed to not be killed. It didn't result in any loss of battery life that I can tell.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
6 hours and 26 mins of SoT at 54%. It's been on for like 11 hours too. Omg. This is fucking ridiculous :lol

skipped pixel since i can't really afford the pricing at the moment, and my 6p runs just fine, aside from not being able to connect to the bluetooth in my car since 7.0 hit.

(kind of a big deal but i haven't been doing that much driving lately)

s8 rumors make me excited for Note 8, although probably leaning toward Pixel 2 as long as they add in water resistance... i've never had a phone that had water resistance so it will be nice to have that added insurance... because i've dropped 2-3 phones in water so it's prone to happen again.

1 in the toilet (eww), 1 in the pool, and 1 in a puddle (6p which survived thank goodness).

might as well stick with the 6p for now since i still have that nexus protect. didn't think i'd be getting the full two years out of it though.

Xisiqomelir

In the spirit of our new Osiris-free thread I will merely state that it would behoove the 'choice' vendor to offer some choice.

Especially given that the competition does

Asgaro

It's an amazing phone, but I couldn't get over the size either. I mean, I adjusted and it was very cool having a device that small be so powerful, felt very futuristic, but my job entails me reading documents and spreadsheets from my phone. I also often need to show people data off my phone screen and it was a real pain.

I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, which has a 4.6" screen.
This is what I consider a good format to handle with one hand.
However, due to the rather small screen, I want to have a bit more screen content, so I lowered my DPI which means the contents gets downsized.
My eyes are still pretty good so I don't have any issues with it.

I like this look.
However, I notice it gives me issues when I want to show something on the phone to others. They always remark the small letters a lot of the time.

My next phone will hopefully be a bezelless one: what I would like to have is the same overall size (more or less) as my current Z3C, but with a larger screen, close to 5 inch.
My Z3C is still flying and the battery life is still so good (Using Sony Concept ROM) that I'm not eager to upgrade. Waiting for the right device.

(I would still lower my DPI though lol - I can't help it - but not as low as it is currently.)

Asgaro

I feel like every Android phone except Google's are good for one major update before they're pretty much abandoned. I mean, has there even been any news about nougat for say the G4, V10, S6, OP2, and the like?

Part of the blame we don't get Android updates can actually be attributed to... Google itself!

My Sony Z3C got Kitkat > Lollipop > Marshmallow.
If it wasn't for Google's shitty Nougat requirements, Sony would have given us Nougat as well. (In case one doesn't know: the Z3 got a Nougat beta.)

Moreche

I've been using my S7 Edge for a few weeks now after moving from the iPhone 7 Plus and iOS for over 6 years and I now see why people love android so much.
I'm finding the notification system far, far better and Google services are flawless. But the way I can now change themes and system wide fonts in the Samsung theme app are really what I wanted.
The screen, hardware and feel are ahead of what Apple have at the moment and make me realise what Apple are really doing at the moment.

LeleSocho

Banned
Holy moly if the S8 is like that thing in the AMOLED videos and without the Samsung branding on the front it's going to end up being an absolute beauty.

how do sammy's age? Can they usually last 1-2 years without huge performance/battery issues?

mine still works great and battery life was fine even on the last day i used it as a daily driver.

newer notes have better battery life though.

Note 5 is better and Note 7 was ridiculously good.

I broke down and ordered a pixel. How crazy am I?
not crazy at all....arguably the best phone from last year as agreed by tons of users/most websites. I would have just waited for pixel 2 :p

dual speakers?
it's still possible. The way apple does it on the iphone 7 is the best way to do it and I'm hoping everyone copies it in 2017. With one speaker being in the usual location and 1 being in the earpiece. I'm so glad the focus this year seems to be on bezel/design. Should be interesting to see who delivers and who doesn't the most in this aspect.

edit: as for which phones get support/how long it takes. User hroyer from reddit posted this for Nougat:

LG: 78 days
Motorola: 88 days
HTC: 95 days
Sony: 99 days
Xiaomi: 126 days
OnePlus: 131 days
Samsung: 143 days
Huawei: sidelined (not including mate 9 that ships with it)

The caveat is that HTC for example got it out to their unlocked phone at that timing above but carriers may have gotten it later.

not crazy at all....arguably the best phone from last year as agreed by tons of users/most websites. I would have just waited for pixel 2 :p

I've been putting off a new phone for awhile, I'm still on my original droid turbo. I used to post here all the time and I almost bought a new phone like 8 times in the past 2 years. I just said "screw it" eventually and bought one last night

I've been putting off a new phone for awhile, I'm still on my original droid turbo. I used to post here all the time and I almost bought a new phone like 8 times in the past 2 years. I just said "screw it" eventually and bought one last night
lol that's going to be a huge upgrade

madmook

6 hours and 26 mins of SoT at 54%. It's been on for like 11 hours too. Omg. This is fucking ridiculous :lol
I have just ordered a Moto Z Play myself, hoping to see this type of battery life.

Is this phone still on Marshmallow or has it been upgraded to Nougat?

PSA for anyone else trying to get the student discount, turns out UNiDAYS made my account Canadian when I created it, and that's why I was getting the "wrong country" error when trying to get the coupon code. I contacted their support and they changed my account region and then I was able to get the code. I got a 15% discount, so the price of the Moto Z Play was $340. Not as good as the $321 someone else mentioned earlier, but it's still more than the 10% that they're advertising.

I have just ordered a Moto Z Play myself, hoping to see this type of battery life.

Is this phone still on Marshmallow or has it been upgraded to Nougat?

PSA for anyone else trying to get the student discount, turns out UNiDAYS made my account Canadian when I created it, and that's why I was getting the "wrong country" error when trying to get the coupon code. I contacted their support and they changed my account region and then I was able to get the code. I got a 15% discount, so the price of the Moto Z Play was $340. Not as good as the $321 someone else mentioned earlier, but it's still more than the 10% that they're advertising.
earliest reports say late january for nougat and latest known report says mach 4th.

reKon

Banned
I've been using my S7 Edge for a few weeks now after moving from the iPhone 7 Plus and iOS for over 6 years and I now see why people love android so much.
I'm finding the notification system far, far better and Google services are flawless. But the way I can now change themes and system wide fonts in the Samsung theme app are really what I wanted.
The screen, hardware and feel are ahead of what Apple have at the moment and make me realise what Apple are really doing at the moment.

You've seen the light. Also, the notification system will get another upgrade after the nougat update.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah. It's been a buggy mess lately. Always heating up for no reason, janky animations, apps just refusing to load.

Will be really glad to get rid of it.
The Pixel is a great phone but it's not one I'd like to be stuck with for more than a year. It's just going to be substantially outdated when the full fledged Pixel 2 hits, I hope. Have you considered buying a cheaper phone then holding out another year?

The Pixel is a great phone but it's not one I'd like to be stuck with for more than a year. It's just going to be substantially outdated when the full fledged Pixel 2 hits, I hope. Have you considered buying a cheaper phone then holding out another year?

If the pixel 2 is much better I can just get that. I'm not contracted, and though previously I wouldn't be able to afford it I'm now at a place where the price of a flagship phone isn't a big deal. I won't be switching every five seconds or anything, but I can buy a new one next year if I feel the need.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If the pixel 2 is much better I can just get that. I'm not contracted, and though previously I wouldn't be able to afford it I'm now at a place where the price of a flagship phone isn't a big deal. I won't be switching every five seconds or anything, but I can buy a new one next year if I feel the need.
Man, I can't believe you've had a Droid Turbo this whole time. That's a lot of self control.

Quasar

On that...how long will the 835 stay the leading edge chip?

Loxley

I'm still using my Note 4 (got it after it had been on the market for 2-3 months) and it works great. The battery life isn't quite what it used to be, but overall it still works really well.

jambo

So I've been having a terrible time with my LG G4 lately, hoping to do an early upgrade in a few months.

I've heard the LG G6 might be releasing in March/April, but I'm a bit worried about getting another LG after having so many issues with my G4. It's about to be sent off for the 3rd time so I don't want another 2 years of issues and replacements.

The Galaxy S8 will be out around the same time, but I wasn't sure how bad the bloatware and interface is on those phones nowadays. I had an SIII 4G and when I moved to the Nexus 5 it was amazing how much cleaner the experience was.

I've never really liked the look of the HTC phones and the Pixel is unfortunately not available on my carrier, so I don't really have many other options.

Thoughts?

I'm still using my Note 4 (got it after it had been on the market for 2-3 months) and it works great. The battery life isn't quite what it used to be, but overall it still works really well.

The good news is that the battery is user replaceable, so you can pop a new one in whenever you want.

So I've been having a terrible time with my LG G4 lately, hoping to do an early upgrade in a few months.

I've heard the LG G6 might be releasing in March/April, but I'm a bit worried about getting another LG after having so many issues with my G4. It's about to be sent off for the 3rd time so I don't want another 2 years of issues and replacements.

The Galaxy S8 will be out around the same time, but I wasn't sure how bad the bloatware and interface is on those phones nowadays. I had an SIII 4G and when I moved to the Nexus 5 it was amazing how much cleaner the experience was.

I've never really liked the look of the HTC phones and the Pixel is unfortunately not available on my carrier, so I don't really have many other options.

Thoughts?
Definitely just wait and see the S8/G6 and whatever comes out around that timeframe before deciding.

Talon

A prosecutor’s call for the arrest of Jay Y. Lee, the vice chairman of Samsung and the only son of Samsung’s incapacitated chairman, Lee Kun-hee, brings new scrutiny to the deep ties between top government officials and the handful of corporations that dominate South Korea’s economy. Mr. Lee is accused of instructing Samsung subsidiaries to make payments totaling 43 billion won, or $36 million, to the family of Ms. Park’s confidante, Choi Soon-sil, and to two foundations Ms. Choi controlled in exchange for help from Ms. Park in facilitating a father-to-son transfer of ownership control of Samsung.

The special prosecutor, Park Young-soo, said the money represented bribes from Samsung, adding that Mr. Lee embezzled some of it from his companies. He said that he had asked a Seoul court to issue an arrest warrant for Mr. Lee; it usually takes a few days for a court to decide whether to grant such a warrant.

“We have enough evidence to establish President Park and Choi Soon-sil as co-conspirators sharing profits” in the bribery scheme, said Lee Kyu-chul, a spokesman of the special prosecutor, during a news briefing on Monday.
Chaebol culture, fam.

ty_hot

does anyone can tell me how much tax to I pay for importing a phone from HK to Europe? Do I pay only the IVA/VA? (around 20%?)

Ohhh boy, my ZUK Z2 Is getting Nougat this week.

Never heard of the phone, are you satisfied by it? It's a beast, great hardware. Can you tell me about the camera?

The price is very low considering the specs (4gb + 64gb + snapdgn820).

For Samsung battery eating bloatware (Facebook mostly), I use a app called "Package Disabler" that will stop any app or service from running. It's a very effective tool.

does anyone can tell me how much tax to I pay for importing a phone from HK to Europe? Do I pay only the IVA/VA? (around 20%?)

Never heard of the phone, are you satisfied by it? It's a beast, great hardware. Can you tell me about the camera?

The price is very low considering the specs (4gb + 64gb + snapdgn820).
It's a beast with plenty of custom Roms and good official support.
In ZUI 2.5 (Nougat) they are adding pro camera mode, and the beta testers said the IQ increased considerably in low light situations.
In my words, I'd say the camera is good (just don't expect flagship grade camera).

Top Bottom