• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

ty_hot

It's a beast with plenty of custom Roms and good official support.
In ZUI 2.5 (Nougat) they are adding pro camera mode, and the beta testers said the IQ increased considerably in low light situations.
In my words, I'd say the camera is good (just don't expect flagship grade camera).

The official ROM doesnt seem nice for me, but the custom ones are great. Another phone to take in consideration when I decide to pull the trigger. I like the CM/Lineage look and feel.

I miss messing around with custom ROMs, I had a ZTE Blade, 512mb ram and 3,5'' screen which was awesome back then (2010?). Used it for many years relying on custom roms. I even had it running Android 4.4 (the phone itself was 2.2 if I am not mistaken). That was awesome, super cheap phone with great life because of the custom roms!

Kind of disappointing how wide the regular S8 is now. I know you get a much larger screen, but width is important for handling and the S7 was one of the very few good "Small" phones around and now the choices have dwindled even more.

Kitoro

So I flashed my Nexus 6 to 7.1. Does this mean I'll have to flash for every future update, or will I eventually get System Update notifications to do it the standard way?

I waited as long as I could to upgrade to Nougat, and with no option to do it the regular way, I got impatient after 3 months of waiting.

does anyone can tell me how much tax to I pay for importing a phone from HK to Europe? Do I pay only the IVA/VA? (around 20%?)

Never heard of the phone, are you satisfied by it? It's a beast, great hardware. Can you tell me about the camera?

The price is very low considering the specs (4gb + 64gb + snapdgn820).

Try buying at gearbest, they have a shipping method that "avoids" custom tax.

reKon

Banned
Kind of disappointing how wide the regular S8 is now. I know you get a much larger screen, but width is important for handling and the S7 was one of the very few good "Small" phones around and now the choices have dwindled even more.

The width of the regular one is acceptable. It's the Plus 8 that's ridiculous. They should make the current regular S8 the S8 Plus size and then make the regular S8 a 5.3 inch screen at 8mm thick to make room for a slightly bigger battery.

deroli

I have a problem with my new phone (Xiaomi Redmi 3s). I installed 6 or 7 different music apps but only two of them (Poweramp & Shuttle) display the album art that's stored in my mp3 files, all the other apps (Google Play Music, Phonograph, Black Player, Pulsar, Xiaomi's default player...) only show the cover art for very few albums (1 out of 10 maybe). Copying the files from the sd card to internal storage makes no difference. On my old phone (Xperia SP), Google Play Music shows all cover art without any problems. The file manager on the new phone always shows the cover art, too. Tried a different sd cart with a different selection of songs from my computer -> same result.

What the heck :mad: I always take good care of my music collection and don't want the app to download album art on its own. Any help is much appreciated because I have tons of music and that is quite a dealbreaker to me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How fast does a 64gb's phone fill up?
64gb is little or is enough for pictures, music, video, etc?
That depends on you. It's fine for the vast majority of people.

For Samsung battery eating bloatware (Facebook mostly), I use a app called "Package Disabler" that will stop any app or service from running. It's a very effective tool.

I think you can just disable apps like Facebook, even if it is included as bloatware and not normally removable.

But yeah, I've heard Package Disabler is great for stuff like that too, especially if it can't be disabled easily already.

McBryBry

I need help because a first world problem is making me boil over. I'm at work, girlfriend just got off. Since I'm working, she's on speakerphone. Since she's driving, I'm also on speakerphone. Without fail, any time this happens, its a constant string of not being able to hear me, very quiet background noise completely overtaking my voice, or me sounding like I'm in a tunnel. I can hear her perfectly fine. I have an LG V20, what the hell is going on?

I need help because a first world problem is making me boil over. I'm at work, girlfriend just got off. Since I'm working, she's on speakerphone. Since she's driving, I'm also on speakerphone. Without fail, any time this happens, its a constant string of not being able to hear me, very quiet background noise completely overtaking my voice, or me sounding like I'm in a tunnel. I can hear her perfectly fine. I have an LG V20, what the hell is going on?
try a different phone and see if it's the same problem. If not, you just got LG'd.

madmook

I am currently using an iPhone 6S, have ordered a Moto Z Play, will I have any problem swapping my T-Mobile sim between iOS and Android? Should be plug and play without needing to mess with any settings, right? Besides iMessage, which I know about.

I am currently using an iPhone 6S, have ordered a Moto Z Play, will I have any problem swapping my T-Mobile sim between iOS and Android? Should be plug and play without needing to mess with any settings, right? Besides iMessage, which I know about.
shouldn't be a problem

Jeffrey

make sure to sync all your contacts to your sim card (forgot how to do on iOS.) or to like a gmail account.

besides that, all the other apps (facebook twitter etc) you just login and it should be fine

vid

Hi Android GAF! A few days ago I managed to smash the display on my two year old Nexus 6. It's easily my favorite phone that I've owned, so I was very sad to see it go, but I figured now was as good of a time as any to pick up a Pixel and switch to Project Fi. Unfortunately, the unavailability of the Pixel has put that idea on the back burner for now.

My provider's insurance is willing to replace my Nexus 6 with a Galaxy S7 Edge, which by all reports seems to be a nicer device anyway, but I have concerns about what this means for the operating system. How much of a downgrade am I going to be looking at by going from a pure Android experience to whatever Samsung has bolted on top of 7.0 at this point?

Jeffrey

Hi Android GAF! A few days ago I managed to smash the display on my two year old Nexus 6. It's easily my favorite phone that I've owned, so I was very sad to see it go, but I figured now was as good of a time as any to pick up a Pixel and switch to Project Fi. Unfortunately, the unavailability of the Pixel has put that idea on the back burner for now.

My provider's insurance is willing to replace my Nexus 6 with a Galaxy S7 Edge, which by all reports seems to be a nicer device anyway, but I have concerns about what this means for the operating system. How much of a downgrade am I going to be looking at by going from a pure Android experience to whatever Samsung has bolted on top of 7.0 at this point?

I mean besides some UI differences, it should still 'feel' like android. The buttons are flipped on the bottom though so that might take a bit to get used to. Samsung settings are different from AOSP.

there are alot of gimmicks with samsung stuff, good to look at to see what you could use.

I mean besides some UI differences, it should still 'feel' like android. The buttons are flipped on the bottom though so that might take a bit to get used to. Samsung settings are different from AOSP.

there are alot of gimmicks with samsung stuff, good to look at to see what you could use.
aggressive memory management and the phone performing questionably over time are the only downsides. You may even like some of the samsung features.

With that said, imo nothing beats stock but it's not like you're entering a different world.

Jeffrey

aggressive memory management and the phone performing questionably over time are the only downsides. You may even like some of the samsung features.

With that said, imo nothing beats stock but it's not like you're entering a different world.

feel like nexus/pixel aren't resistant to this stuff too, all depends on the next google patch lol.

heck pixel seem to have crap memory management compare to the competition.

ty_hot

I was checking ebay in the morning and I came across a Nexus 6P in perfect condition for 320 euros shipped (free shipping). Checked the seller references, a few phones and all buyers said the conditions were 'as described' or 'perfect condition' so I got it. It also comes with 2 cases, box and usb c cable, so I dont need to spend nothing extra. Seems like a great deal (other 6P on ebay were at least 10% more expensive and were not in such a great condition and without accessories).

As it is a Nexus, it has the clean Android look, and will still get another Android update later this year (meaning it will be running the latest android for 1+1 year. Awesome.

The plan is to use it for a few months (until before summer) and then buy a new phone as my girlfriend also needs a new one (she has a shit Zenfone Go that cant record or play videos because of... who knows)... idk if I will keep this for myself or give it to her, we will decide it later. It should arrive early next week (or as fast as this friday if the seller is quick). Super excited.

I went to sleep with the Honor 8 and 6X in my mind, I just stayed home until 10 because that's when the mall opens near my house, and in the meantime I found this beauty <3. I still want to go try the Honors, though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Alright, finally contacted Huawei to get this 6P repaired. I am annoyed already at having to deal with iOS on my iPhone SE. Huawei wanted me to send them pictures of my 6P before approving my out of warranty repair. It's the battery issue, though, so that's on them.

Also, my iPhone 7+ arrives tomorrow, I think. I have too many damn phones and I didn't want it to be like this. I just want my 6P, frankly. Is it separation anxiety from Android? I can't use my Sony Smartwatch 3, either. Well, I guess I can, but it'll be quite different.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is Daydream tanking?

Nobody is talking about it, and Google just price dropped the headset to $50 on the store.

Idk what Google expected since it only worked on the Pixel, and even now does the Axon 7 even have it's update yet?

Samsung has the benefit of being out a few years before Google. Plus seems like all of the flagship Galaxy phones have launched with the free headset promo.

Granted Google gave away some headsets too, but not near as many.

LeleSocho

Banned
Alright, finally contacted Huawei to get this 6P repaired. I am annoyed already at having to deal with iOS on my iPhone SE. Huawei wanted me to send them pictures of my 6P before approving my out of warranty repair. It's the battery issue, though, so that's on them.

Also, my iPhone 7+ arrives tomorrow, I think. I have too many damn phones and I didn't want it to be like this. I just want my 6P, frankly. Is it separation anxiety from Android? I can't use my Sony Smartwatch 3, either. Well, I guess I can, but it'll be quite different.

Gift the SE to me please... my main phone is still an iPhone 4 and i'm struggling :p

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Galaxy-S8-S-Pen-case-leak_2-800x500.jpg

Galaxy-S8-Plus-S-Pen-case-leak_1-800x484.jpg

Leak: Galaxy S8 & Galaxy S8 Plus Cases Feature S Pen Cutouts

?_?

Google was daydreaming with that half baked idea, ahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think that Daydream can still be successful, but I had higher hopes before I/O. That presentation felt like "we're doing something with VR, I guess". Baking the functionality into the OS is still a better solution than what Samsung is doing with Oculus. A big issue is obviously the display requirements for Daydream. Until good OLED panels get cheaper, we're not going to see a wide adoption of Daydream.

Mindwipe

Is Daydream tanking?

Nobody is talking about it, and Google just price dropped the headset to $50 on the store.

Idk what Google expected since it only worked on the Pixel, and even now does the Axon 7 even have it's update yet?

Samsung has the benefit of being out a few years before Google. Plus seems like all of the flagship Galaxy phones have launched with the free headset promo.

Granted Google gave away some headsets too, but not near as many.

I dunno if tanking, but Google has plenty of margin to spare on the headset anyway.

But the launch was terrible, presented by a product lead who seemed to have a pretty weak grasp of what was presented, and the bits about buying content still are pretty clunky.

They also missed a really obvious opportunity to sell 3D movies on Google Play.

So my google account is set up for two step verification. Should I go ahead and put my sim card in my new phone before set up, or should I set up my pixel with my google account info and then transfer the sim over?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So my google account is set up for two step verification. Should I go ahead and put my sim card in my new phone before set up, or should I set up my pixel with my google account info and then transfer the sim over?

I always put the sim card in before turning it on. It allows it to go through the whole setup process without interruption.

Bboy AJ

No surprise Google dropped the price of Daydream. No one really cares about that thing. It's garbage and yet another half baked idea from Google. Pay to beta test their products. No thanks.

Top Bottom