• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

jambo

Yo Android people!

I currently have an LG G4 that is almost 12 months old. It's had a few issues along the way and even got replaced at one point when it got stuck rebooting forever, so I've been looking at what's currently around. My mobile carrier has the option of paying $99 to upgrade after 12 months and this is their current selection:

• Samsung Galaxy S7 + GearVR
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge + GearVR
  • Nexus 6P
  • HTC 10
  • LG G5
  • Sony Xperia Z5
  • Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
  • BlackBerry Priv
I've been moving between the Nexus 6P, HTC 10 and Sony Z5 Premium. The main issue with the Z5 Premium is the age, plus the fact that it is still on 5.1.1. Nexus 6P is also a bit older, but at least will get updates day 1. The HTC 10 sounds amazing, but it's a bit smaller than I was hoping for, plus I'm not huge on the design.

Thoughts?

Noema

Yo Android people!

I currently have an LG G4 that is almost 12 months old. It's had a few issues along the way and even got replaced at one point when it got stuck rebooting forever, so I've been looking at what's currently around. My mobile carrier has the option of paying $99 to upgrade after 12 months and this is their current selection:

• Nexus 6P
  • HTC 10
  • LG G5
  • Sony Xperia Z5
  • Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
  • BlackBerry Priv
I've been moving between the Nexus 6P, HTC 10 and Sony Z5 Premium. The main issue with the Z5 Premium is the age, plus the fact that it is still on 5.1.1. Nexus 6P is also a bit older, but at least will get updates day 1. The HTC 10 sounds amazing, but it's a bit smaller than I was hoping for, plus I'm not huge on the design.

Thoughts?

The Z5 Premium is trash.

Get the S7 Edge. It's head and shoulders above the rest. Amazing display, performance, battery and best camera out of any smartphone.

You're in Australia, right? Which means you'd get the Exynos version, and that's even better.

The S7 Edge is heads and shoulders above the rest of the list. The Nexus 6P's biggest problem is that crappy 810 which would make me write it off the list straight away. The Z5 Premium has the same issue except you pretty much lose a lot of the nice things the 6P has going for it in return for all of the things the Z5 Premium does not have going for it.

The HTC 10 looks like a nice phone, but honestly it just doesn't seem compelling enough to compete with the S7/S7 Edge. Also I think HTC is still having camera issues whether they are software or hardware related so it might not be the best buy.

Yo Android people!

[*]Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge + GearVR
  • Nexus 6P
  • HTC 10
  • LG G5
  • Sony Xperia Z5
  • Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
  • BlackBerry Priv

Thoughts?

s7 edge + vr is so awesome.

Jigolo

Yo Android people!

• Nexus 6P
  • HTC 10
  • LG G5
  • Sony Xperia Z5
  • Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
  • BlackBerry Priv

Thoughts?

S7 Edge for sure

FFP2

there are so many other better options then moto in that price range on the website.

for little bit more money you can get Z3 compact R4705 or upcoming SA which is good too. Why would you go to Motorola?

I'm reading the gsmarena review and it seems like the camera isn't very good. Also the screen is pretty small, is 720x1080 instead of FHD and it might not get any further updates. Moto G4 is guaranteed to get N and O. I had a sony Xperia Ray before the S4 Mini and I kinda got burned on it.

The XA also has the same screen size but I'll wait for a review to see if the performance/camera is better than the G4.

jambo

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, but it looks like it was a waste of time.

Turns out the $99 replacement option is only for new plans signed since April of this year. Exact same plan naming and price as mine, which is why I got confused.

Yo Android people!

• Nexus 6P
  • HTC 10
  • LG G5
  • Sony Xperia Z5
  • Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
  • BlackBerry Priv

Thoughts?

I vote HTC 10. Less bloat/crap than a Galaxy and USB C. Also HTC is better with updates.

I'm reading the gsmarena review and it seems like the camera isn't very good. Also the screen is pretty small, is 720x1080 instead of FHD and it might not get any further updates. Moto G4 is guaranteed to get N and O. I had a sony Xperia Ray before the S4 Mini and I kinda got burned on it.

The XA also has the same screen size but I'll wait for a review to see if the performance/camera is better than the G4.

Z5 camera will most likely be better than g4. Z3 has n developers preview do z5 can get it. Frankly speaking both xeperia ray and s4 mini were outdated even when they released and in terms of hardware g4 is in same boat. Unlocked phones are other good options.

FFP2

Z5 camera will most likely be better than g4. Z3 has n developers preview do z5 can get it. Frankly speaking both xeperia ray and s4 mini were outdated even when they released and in terms of hardware g4 is in same boat. Unlocked phones are other good options.

Z5 is way out of my price range. I'll check out the Z3.

The Z3 costs 380$ and the Moto G4 Plus costs 306$. Can someone tell me if the spec increase is worth 74$ more? I could use the leftover cash to buy a bigger SD card.

Also, the Sony XA is 336$ if that is a viable option.

this_guy

This summer. So, uh, any day now, I guess.

Also, I expect everyone to praise the fuck outta the AI Assistant thing, but lament that none of their friends will ever use that app.

I'm hoping it's like Microsoft's AI Twitterbot that became racist. That way I can say whatever I want and blame it on Google.

Noema

Z5 is way out of my price range. I'll check out the Z3.

The Z3 costs 380$ and the Moto G4 Plus costs 306$. Can someone tell me if the spec increase is worth 74$ more? I could use the leftover cash to buy a bigger SD card.

Also, the Sony XA is 336$ if that is a viable option.

The SoC on the Z3 is considerably faster than the SD 617 on the G4.it also has more RAM and a bigger battery. I'd say go for it. It's probably the best phone Sony has made and it'll get N.

It really speaks volumes on how shitty those A53 midrangers are when they are slower and run hotter than SoCs from 2013 like the SD801.

The XA is overpriced crap. Tiny battery, 720p display, A53 CPU. The Moto G4 is better. At least it's FHD and has a decent battery.

Dobsie

Is there a way to preload YouTube videos anymore? The feature was removed some time in 2014 to make way for "exciting updates" from what I can find via google searching. I can't find any info on how I can now preload a video now, sucks as I don't have unlimited data anymore and want to load up some gym exercise vids.

FFP2

The SoC on the Z3 is considerably faster than the SD 617 on the G4.it also has more RAM and a bigger battery. I'd say go for it. It's probably the best phone Sony has made and it'll get N.

It really speaks volumes on how shitty those A53 midrangers are when they are slower and run hotter than SoCs from 2013 like the SD801.

The XA is overpriced crap. Tiny battery, 720p display, A53 CPU. The Moto G4 is better. At least it's FHD and has a decent battery.

Thanks! I'm looking around and the Z3 Compact has the same SoC. Z3 is kinda pricey tbh.

When you say considerably faster are you mainly talking about gaming performance? I'm only really going to play Final Fantasy on it and I'm probably not going to run any performance heavy apps.

Edit: Ooh, the G Flex 2 is around 315$ and it has better specs than both. I heard that they fixed the performance/overheating issues with soft updates. Only issue now seems to be rooting and Android version updates.

Hasney

Is there a way to preload YouTube videos anymore? The feature was removed some time in 2014 to make way for "exciting updates" from what I can find via google searching. I can't find any info on how I can now preload a video now, sucks as I don't have unlimited data anymore and want to load up some gym exercise vids.

Sure! Buy YouTube Red and you get it.

So Project Fi just announced U.S. Celluar support.

Not sure what their coverage is like, but that's still exciting news that they're making moves like that.

Noema

You can also move to a developing country, as I believe Google allows them to download videos without Red.

I live in a country with no YouTube Red (México) and I can't download the videos officially without also paying for Google play music.

I use this and it works great. Super lightweight and well designed and it's not shady like a bunch of other video downloaders. Does not currently work on N though.

Thanks! I'm looking around and the Z3 Compact has the same SoC. Z3 is kinda pricey tbh.

When you say considerably faster are you mainly talking about gaming performance? I'm only really going to play Final Fantasy on it and I'm probably not going to run any performance heavy apps.

It also has to do with overall performance and smoothness. You'll have a much better user experience, much less jankiness / choppiness / throttling. Even stuff like multitasking between the browser, texting, music and taking pictures can bring lesser SoCs to their knees.

I don't really game on my phone but I sure appreciate the SD805 on my N6, specially coming from an OG Moto G.

Hasney

Google Play Music subscription gets you the YouTube Red features in other countries, aside from the exclusive content and ad-free viewing.

FFP2

It also has to do with overall performance and smoothness. You'll have a much better user experience, much less jankiness / choppiness / throttling. Even stuff like multitasking between the browser, texting, music and taking pictures can bring lesser SoCs to their knees.

I don't really game on my phone but I sure appreciate the SD805 on my N6, specially coming from an OG Moto G.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

So Project Fi just announced U.S. Celluar support.

Not sure what their coverage is like, but that's still exciting news that they're making moves like that.

Its fucking huge. Google is now going toe to toe with verizon in the midwest for half the price. Sprint, Tmobile and ATT are crap in the midwest. Basically if you dont live in a big city you are SOL unless you have verizon or us cellular.

This changes the game significantly. Verizon is going to lose a lot of customers.

Dobsie

I live in a country with no YouTube Red (México) and I can't download the videos officially without also paying for Google play music.

I use this and it works great. Super lightweight and well designed and it's not shady like a bunch of other video downloaders. Does not currently work on N though.
Thanks, running the N preview but installed it anyway, gives out an error when I try searching for something.

this_guy

Its fucking huge. Google is now going toe to toe with verizon in the midwest for half the price. Sprint, Tmobile and ATT are crap in the midwest. Basically if you dont live in a big city you are SOL unless you have verizon or us cellular.

This changes the game significantly. Verizon is going to lose a lot of customers.

Project Fi isn't enough of a game changer. Limited phone support and people for the most part want to stick to the big 4 carriers in the US. That and if you're a heavy data user (not even heavy - if you use more than 3gb/month) Project Fi can get pretty pricy.

Sprint customers can also roam on US Cellular natively although the free roaming allotment is limited.

Not unless they open it up to more than just Nexus phones. I've seen literally zero advertising for Project Fi.

Project Fi isn't enough of a game changer. Limited phone support and people for the most part want to stick to the big 4 carriers in the US. That and if you're a heavy data user (not even heavy - if you use more than 3gb/month) Project Fi can get pretty pricy.

Sprint customers can also roam on US Cellular natively although the free roaming allotment is limited.

Sprint coverage is terrible in the midwest and Sprint phones do not roam unless they need to. You are also a second class citizen when you are roaming.

Verizon and US Cellular is the only option in many places in the midwest and are way more expensive unless you are a HEAVY data user.

Money talks and so does coverage. People that like US Cellular can now have nationwide coverage for less cost.

this_guy

Sprint coverage is terrible in the midwest and Sprint phones do not roam unless they need to. You are also a second class citizen when you are roaming.

Verizon and US Cellular is the only option in many places in the midwest and are way more expensive unless you are a HEAVY data user.

Money talks and so does coverage. People that like US Cellular can now have nationwide coverage for less cost.

Right. But with Project Fi you are also a second class citizen (all mvno users get less priority than native users) whether the phone is currently on T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular. When you're in good coverage things are great, if you're on a congested tower you get lower priority.

Right. But with Project Fi you are also a second class citizen (all mvno users get less priority than native users) whether the phone is currently on T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular. When you're in good coverage things are great, if you're on a congested tower you get lower priority.

Wrong. You get full downloads, no throttling, full tethering and same latency. This is not Cricket or Straight talk.

this_guy

Wrong. You get full downloads, no throttling, full tethering and same latency. This is not Cricket or Straight talk.

Metropcs and T-mobile prepaid also give you full speed and same latency. But still lower priority than T-Mobile postpaid when on a congested tower. That goes for all mvnos. It's in the terms and conditions/fine print.

Metropcs and T-mobile prepaid also give you full speed and same latency. But still lower priority than T-Mobile postpaid when on a congested tower. That goes for all mvnos. It's in the terms and conditions/fine print.

All i could find in Fi's terms is this.

"To provide the Services, we also rely on networks, systems, equipment, and services provided by our suppliers. Our suppliers may also engage in their own network management techniques to protect their networks, systems, equipment, and services from harm, and such network management can impact the Services."

Regardless. I dont get the relevancy in your point. Im saying all the people in the midwest with only US Cellular and Verizon as a choice can now bounce for half the price. Most of these people live in smaller towns and cities where congestion is not an issue. In fact congestion isnt always an issue in big cities unless your are venues.

US Cellular basically exists because of all these midwest customers and Verizon owns this market. People have never had choice like this before. Verizon basically controls it and now they have a competitor that isnt small time.

this_guy

All i could find in Fi's terms is this.

"To provide the Services, we also rely on networks, systems, equipment, and services provided by our suppliers. Our suppliers may also engage in their own network management techniques to protect their networks, systems, equipment, and services from harm, and such network management can impact the Services."

Regardless. I dont get the relevancy in your point. Im saying all the people in the midwest with only US Cellular and Verizon as a choice can now bounce for half the price. Most of these people live in smaller towns and cities where congestion is not an issue. In fact congestion isnt always an issue in big cities unless your are venues.

US Cellular basically exists because of all these midwest customers and Verizon owns this market. People have never had choice like this before. Verizon basically controls it and now they have a competitor that isnt small time.

My original point was Google Fi is not a game changer. Limited phone support will eliminate a large portion of your potential customers.

How does Sprint being a second class citizen on US Cellular differ from Project Fi customers being second class citizens?

My original point was Google Fi is not a game changer. Limited phone support will eliminate a large portion of your potential customers.

How does Sprint being a second class citizen on US Cellular differ from Project Fi customers being second class citizens?

Since when was google only going to do Nexus phones forever? They already offer LTE iPads.

I can use US Cellular as my primary carrier on project Fi if i decide to. On sprint it is only for roaming and it is probably throttled or rated.

I can toggle between the carriers at my own discretion with Fi
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cheekydevs.fiswitch&hl=en

this_guy

Since when was google only going to do Nexus phones forever? They already offer LTE IPads.

I can us US Cellular as my primary carrier on project Fi if i decide to. On sprint it is only for roaming and it is probably throttled or rated.

If you have evidence that other phones are available on Fi let me know. Right now if you want fi your devices are limited.

You can choose US Cellular to be your primary carrier but to US Cellular you're still an mvno customer. That's the same whether your with Sprint or Google Fi. On Sprint you're roaming natively and there's no throttling in place as far as I'm aware.

If you have evidence that other phones are available on Fi let me know. Right now if you want fi your devices are limited.

You can choose US Cellular to be your primary carrier but to US Cellular you're still an mvno customer. That's the same whether your with Sprint or Google Fi. On Sprint you're roaming natively and there's no throttling in place as far as I'm aware.

You are not getting the difference.

As a Sprint customer in area with Sprint towers. If I am in a Wal-mart and my sprint coverage is shit I am not going to switch to US Cellular. You only get us cellular where there ISNT sprint towers.

As a Fi customer I get US Cellular whenever the hell I want it.

Ah, I see. I remember reading some articles about Google doing it, but maybe it's only for certain countries or something else.

Edit: Ooh, the G Flex 2 is around 315$ and it has better specs than both. I heard that they fixed the performance/overheating issues with soft updates. Only issue now seems to be rooting and Android version updates.

z3 compact is better than z3. if size is not issue. G flex 2 is amazing. I have G3 and I never had any issue with it.

Top Bottom