• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Quixzlizx

What's the cheapest tablet I can get that will actually run? I want one in the kitchen just to display recipes.

Is there a good app for that, too?

AndyD

aka andydumi
What's the cheapest tablet I can get that will actually run? I want one in the kitchen just to display recipes.

Is there a good app for that, too?

We use an older Nexus 10 and a Fire HD in the kitchen just for that purpose plus weather/traffic before we go out in the morning. They work just fine.

As to app, I find that collecting recipes from across the web in Google Keep does the trick as I can organize them with the built in tags, and add pictures plus the link to the original site. It's not perfect, but it works very well without showing constant ads in a webpage.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I might be getting a Gear S2 from a relative. Never had a smart watch or been terribly interested. Anything to know on how to use it?

So I might be getting a Gear S2 from a relative. Never had a smart watch or been terribly interested. Anything to know on how to use it?

I had an S2 but I upgrade to S3. I really liked my S2. Love the rotating bezel and some simple things like notification and music player is a lot easier to use IMO. Also since I change phones every so often, it is much easier to repair it to another than Android Wear was. That was a nightmare.

Jeffrey

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/17/f...d-google-and-lgs-watch-sport-and-watch-style/

google partnering with LG for a 'nexus' watch announcing feb 9 with the release of 2.0

I had an S2 but I upgrade to S3. I really liked my S2. Love the rotating bezel and some simple things like notification and music player is a lot easier to use IMO. Also since I change phones every so often, it is much easier to repair it to another than Android Wear was. That was a nightmare.

how is the s3 on non samsung stuff? Does samsung pay actually work without any limitations?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LG watch will be great with all its boot loop issues.

I actually want the smaller one but they pumped up the specs of the larger one, making it more desirable. No NFC in the smaller one? That's a crime.

Browsing on iOS is SO much slower than Android. How do iOS users do this? You can't quickly scroll through websites. You have to slowly trudge through them. iOS as a whole is way slower. Switching apps, quick notification replies or clearing them... It's just waaaay slower. Smoother, though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LG Watch R still hasn't bootlooped yet, so eh.
Mine did. I had to get it repaired before I sold it. My Nexus 5X bootlooped, my Nexus 5 bootlooped. It's no joke.

Hmmm this is really weird. Google may be bringing Android One stateside:

The Information reports that Google will be bringing the Android One program to the United States in the coming months.

The report claims that the first Android One device in the United States is expected "before the middle of the year," with Google backing the phone with an ad campaign. The device will likely be priced in the $200-300 range, which is rather expensive compared to most other Android One phones, but still firmly in the 'budget' category.

One of the partners is likely to be LG, which makes sense considering the company's long history of developing hardware for Google, including the upcoming Google Android Wear watches. I'll be excited to see the Android One program come stateside, especially if it can get OEMs to start paying more attention to software updates.

Isn't this basically cheap nexus phones if they raise the price and get LG to make em compared to the cheap ass ones in other countries.

reKon

Banned
Thoughts on the Asus S3 tablet?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MATMXZV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looking for a decent Android tablet now that my Nexus 7 appears to be dying.

Everything seems really nice about this tablet except for the fact that it's not going to receive many updates. I think updates are more important for the tablet these days than the phones. Split screen multitasking for example turned the Pixel C into a beast.

LMAO

Great tablet for the price, from a good brand. Great screen, speedy, lots of storage, build quality should be top notch too. I think it's a nice choice. Go for it.

Personally though on another note, I can't believe my Nexus 7 2013 is still rocking so hard. Sure it's modified to hell but... It has a great screen still in ppi, which is a massive point for me in a tablet, only matched in ppi by like 5 tablets, with all of them only going to 359ppi, instead of the 7's 323, which is barely noticeable. Great colors, good sunlight legibility.

32gb of storage.

Underclocked processor to 1.1GHz for an awesome 8 hours SoT, yet I also made it overclock to 2.1GHz whenever I need it to, which is a massive boost in performance compared to its stock speeds.

Android 7.0 since day 1.
Wireless charging.

Blazingly fast, top notch response time, you'd hardly believe it has a snap dragon 600.

I can't believe this beast was 250 euros, in 2013.

I don't even know what I'd upgrade to. Super happy. Best buy I've ever done.

Jeffrey

FTC is charging Qualcomm with antitrust violations. This is pretty big. Pretty much any CDMA phones have to use their chips/modems because they own all the CDMA patents. Hopefully this can lead to cheaper alternatives and all the midrange unlocked phones can eventually be compatible with Verizon and Sprint.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11049/...itrust-charges

shame it took this long. too bad FTC is gonna get gutted by next week.

Well I wouldn't consider them nexi. AndroidOne phones made by LG is not in any way akin to a Nexus.
Close enough. They run stock. Updates controlled by google. Etc.

I agree it will probably suck but it's something. In other news allo 5.0 is out. It still isn't as useful as hangouts.

ty_hot

Great tablet for the price, from a good brand. Great screen, speedy, lots of storage, build quality should be top notch too. I think it's a nice choice. Go for it.

Personally though on another note, I can't believe my Nexus 7 2013 is still rocking so hard. Sure it's modified to hell but... It has a great screen still in ppi, which is a massive point for me in a tablet, only matched in ppi by like 5 tablets, with all of them only going to 359ppi, instead of the 7's 323, which is barely noticeable. Great colors, good sunlight legibility.

32gb of storage.

Underclocked processor to 1.1GHz for an awesome 8 hours SoT, yet I also made it overclock to 2.1GHz whenever I need it to, which is a massive boost in performance compared to its stock speeds.

Android 7.0 since day 1.
Wireless charging.

Blazingly fast, top notch response time, you'd hardly believe it has a snap dragon 600.

Android 7? I have a nexus in here as well and was thinking about updating it. Which ROM are you using?

This machine is awesome! As you said, many years ago, full hd screen, 2gb ram. Proobably the best piece of hardware for the price that I ever had

Saiyan-Rox

No surprise Google dropped the price of Daydream. No one really cares about that thing. It's garbage and yet another half baked idea from Google. Pay to beta test their products. No thanks.

It really is awful I returned mine a day after I got it.

Huh price hasn't changed here

The latest security update on my Note 5 drains the battery, if its anything like previous buggy updates I'll need to wait for the following months update to fix it. Great work Samsung.

Is there anything out there up to £400 that offers good performance, at least a 5.5" screen and a battery that will comfortably get a heavy user through the day. And doesn't have an obtrusive manufacturer skin (ie. Huawei). OnePlus 3T? Do I take a chance on importing a Xiaomi Mi5S? Cheap out on a Nexus 5x?

Browsing on iOS is SO much slower than Android. How do iOS users do this? You can't quickly scroll through websites. You have to slowly trudge through them. iOS as a whole is way slower. Switching apps, quick notification replies or clearing them... It's just waaaay slower. Smoother, though.

I got an ipad Air 2 before Christmas and can't get over how slow scrolling is in ios. A quick flick of the wrist and I've scrolled a few hundred lines in Android. Meanwhile ios is going to give me RSI with it's slow ass scrolling.

Now I know why people say ios is butter smooth, its because everything runs so slowly nothing has a chance to skip or lag.

Android 7? I have a nexus in here as well and was thinking about updating it. Which ROM are you using?

This machine is awesome! As you said, many years ago, full hd screen, 2gb ram. Proobably the best piece of hardware for the price that I ever had

Simple AOSP is the name of the ROM.

Well to be fair I could not notice a huge difference from 6 to 7, I just wanted to be updated even though I was more than satisfied with 6.0. But go ahead, there are plenty of ROMs already with 7.1 even.

Jeffrey

its funny how much faster iOS is to android in speed tests and benchmarks, but actual 'workflow' for me is vastly slower even if apps might take a bit longer to cold boot.

32gb of storage.

Android 7.0 since day 1.
Wireless charging.

Thanks for the reply. yea, I loved my Nexus. Sadly the battery is barely holding a charge these days.

Malvolio

I've been eyeing this tablet as well. Should be perfect for my needs. However, as an Xperia Z3 owner that has been excluded from Nougat, I just can't deal with another device that ends up locked in time as the rest of the system advances on. Really wish certain manufacturers took being current a bit more serious.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Image of unclear provenance shows Galaxy S8 panels with shockingly minimal bezel, rounded display corners

ap_resize.php

whew

Bboy AJ

Lol ridiculous. What is wrong with these people. Just switch to a free GS7E. It's the same damn phone.
No it isn't. I don't know what's wrong with these phone companies. There's a miniscule chance of the phone exploding. BFD.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Couple of questions for the Android experts here.
My current phone is a Moto X Gen 2 running Android 5.1

First Question:
How do I reduce the amount of storage the "Phone/Messaging Storage" takes up on my phone? Currently it takes up about 500Mb while my Textra install only takes up about 150Mb. I can delete stuff from Textra but it doesn't decrease the amount of storage used by the "Phone/Messaging Storage" app. Googling for these relevant terms doesn't yield any good results aside from doing a factory restore on my phone.

Second Question:
I'm looking for a new phone since I'm starting to have issues with the USB connector, WiFi, and Bluetooth of my current one. Here's what I'm looking for.
Needs to work on Verizon
Needs to have a screen size around 5.0" with an absolute max at 5.5"
Needs to have a dedicated headphone jack
Needs to have the most stock UI possible - None of this HTC/Samsung or equivalent nonsense
Would like to spend $400 USD
Would like to have an SD card slot

I ruled out the ZTE Axon 7 since it's still having issues with Verizon connectivity.
Ruled out the Moto G4 Plus, Nexus 5X, and the Xperia X Compact because the hardware is a bit outdated. All the other good pones that meet this criteria don't work on Verizon and that's a big sticking point since it's the only carrier that works both in my day to day area as well as whenever I'm out in the mountains/countryside/rural areas.

this_guy

Couple of questions for the Android experts here.
My current phone is a Moto X Gen 2 running Android 5.1

First Question:
How do I reduce the amount of storage the "Phone/Messaging Storage" takes up on my phone? Currently it takes up about 500Mb while my Textra install only takes up about 150Mb. I can delete stuff from Textra but it doesn't decrease the amount of storage used by the "Phone/Messaging Storage" app. Googling for these relevant terms doesn't yield any good results aside from doing a factory restore on my phone.

Second Question:
I'm looking for a new phone since I'm starting to have issues with the USB connector, WiFi, and Bluetooth of my current one. Here's what I'm looking for.
Needs to work on Verizon
Needs to have a screen size around 5.0" with an absolute max at 5.5"
Needs to have a dedicated headphone jack
Needs to have the most stock UI possible - None of this HTC/Samsung or equivalent nonsense
Would like to spend $400 USD
Would like to have an SD card slot

I ruled out the ZTE Axon 7 since it's still having issues with Verizon connectivity.
Ruled out the Moto G4 Plus, Nexus 5X, and the Xperia X Compact because the hardware is a bit outdated. All the other good pones that meet this criteria don't work on Verizon and that's a big sticking point since it's the only carrier that works both in my day to day area as well as whenever I'm out in the mountains/countryside/rural areas.

Moto Z Play Droid. Battery life from all reports is pretty fantastic.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-play-droid

I'm so glad that rumour came out so early about apple possibly getting rid of the bezel on the next iphone. Makes me happy that now everyone is rushing to do it first or do it as well.

But the key is who will do it properly. As in who will embed the fingerprint scanner into the display rather than just relocate it to the back and move other sensors/front cam into weird ass awkward places like the Mi Mix.

Top Bottom