• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Quasar

I'm so glad that rumour came out so early about apple possibly getting rid of the bezel on the next iphone. Makes me happy that now everyone is rushing to do it first or do it as well.

But the key is who will do it properly. As in who will embed the fingerprint scanner into the display rather than just relocate it to the back and move other sensors/front cam into weird ass awkward places like the Mi Mix.

Well rear fingerprint reader is the best place anyway, so I wouldn't say embedding it in the display is 'properly'.

bu-bu-but I have to pick up my phone to unlock it! That's horrible!

/s
I don't get why you say it like this. When I'm at work which is many hours a day, my phone stays on my table literally 95% of the time that I'm there so I can constantly keep an eye on messages I get and emails and other notifications. I'm sure there are many others in the same situation. Even at home my phone is flat on my desk right now right next to the keyboard I'm typing this on. It's a small thing that makes a huge difference when you add up all the times you'd have to pick it up just to go into it.

Also I just think we should be working toward eliminating as many external pieces as possible. I want all sensors in the screen I want the front cam in the screen I want the fingerprint in the screen. I want the front to be ALL screen and the back to just be a camera. To me that's ideal from a design and usability perspective.

It's a huge convenience to be able to do things with a phone flat on a table. Now I'm not saying the back is bad. I think it's ok. I just think the front is better and I think if it were embedded it would be perfect since it wouldn't even take up bezel. If the pixel 2 is awesome but it has the sensor in the back you won't find me complaining but I think there's better.

Lunar FC

This is my next.

rendered-pixel-black-front-2.png
rendered-pixel-black.png

Glad to finally have a stock android phone. I've grown tired of the HTC one series, and this is the change I have wanted.

Lol ridiculous. What is wrong with these people. Just switch to a free GS7E. It's the same damn phone.

it's definitely not the same phone.

doesn't have the more interactive always on display yet and no face unlock and no stylus and the curvature is way better on the Note 7 and it's not 64GB.

No it isn't. I don't know what's wrong with these phone companies. There's a miniscule chance of the phone exploding. BFD.

liability.

Well rear fingerprint reader is the best place anyway, so I wouldn't say embedding it in the display is 'properly'.

rear FP sensor is trash.

would prefer headphone jack on the side between volume up and volue down to a rear FP sensor.

acm2000

Rear is by far the most natural place for the fingerprint sensor.

Only thing some people moan about is unlocking when it's face up on a desk but that's what smart lock is for.

Blackhead

Redarse
yep, rear is the most natural place because who would interact with the front of a touchscreen device.

You forgot the sarcasm tag? /s

Rear is the most natural because it doesn't distract from the UI. Moving your thumb from the touchscreen to the homebutton is an extra effort compared to using the other fingers on the back of the device.

I'm not even sold on embedded touchscreen fingerprint sensors until I see how the UX is implemented. The iPhone touchscreen interaction is already overloaded with 3D touch as it is that I can't see how embedded doesn't require a screen overlay everytime.

imo a fingerprint sensor on the back and an iris scanner on the front is the best combination.

I think the Huawei design is better.

Samsung started rolling out 7.0 in the UK and China. I wonder if other major countries weill get it by the end of the month.

I still can't believe they're shipping 7.0 and not 7.1.1. What a company.

So had my pixel for a few hours, sense about noon yesterday, and gotta say. This is my favorite phone I've ever owned. It's everything I loved about my near stock droid, but up to date and much, much faster. I've barely reached for my iPhone sense it came in. It feels great to be away from all of the annoying things iOS does.

yyzjohn

Banned
So had my pixel for a few hours, sense about noon yesterday, and gotta say. This is my favorite phone I've ever owned. It's everything I loved about my near stock droid, but up to date and much, much faster. I've barely reached for my iPhone sense it came in. It feels great to be away from all of the annoying things iOS does.

What are some annoying things iOS does in your opinion?

What are some annoying things iOS does in your opinion?

Poor scrolling, posting images on GAF is a pain in the ass. Going to thread search I always have to type out the whole search sense if I click on the suggestion it kicks me out of the keyboard and I can't hit go. Just three off the top of my head about browsing GAF specifically.

There's lots of room for improvement on the pixel but it's the only phone I'd ever suggest an iphone owner move to. I really hope the pixel 2 is good times.

There's lots of room for improvement on the pixel but it's the only phone I'd ever suggest an iphone owner move to. I really hope the pixel 2 is good times.

I was actually using an iPhone 6s and my aging droid turbo at the same time. I only use it every day because of work. Due to the turbo slowing down the iPhone was getting a lot more use but the negatives always stand out more to me due to minor easy things on Android being like pulling teeth on iOS.

Pixel needs water resistance, a 1440p screen on the smaller model and smaller bezels, but I can live with those hardware issues when the software is this good.

I was actually using an iPhone 6s and my aging droid turbo at the same time. I only use it every day because of work. Due to the turbo slowing down the iPhone was getting a lot more use but the negatives always stand out more to me due to minor easy things on Android being like pulling teeth on iOS.

Pixel needs water resistance, a 1440p screen on the smaller model and smaller bezels, but I can live with those hardware issues when the software is this good.
there's pros and cons on both. I use my pixel as my work phone sometimes (when I feel like carrying around two phones at work) and they both have strengths and weaknesses. Apps are still better on iOS and I don't just mean overall selection, I mean equivalent apps on both devices are almost always better on the iphone. I've never had to wonder what's draining the battery, standby time is basically perfection, listening to music uses almost zero battery, etc....whereas on the pixel those things have been randomly an issue sometimes. That's more of an android problem. Pixel is better them than other android phones. But the upsides of android are enough to overlook it sometimes. Cons for iOS are well documented and I agree with some of them as well.

That's why I just want better hardware design and I'm good. Less bezel on the smaller pixel, waterproofing, etc... and I'm switching back.

The Nexus 6P has gone to shit since 7.1, ESPECIALLY the Google keyboard lag issues, the last patch didn't fix it.

So sad what Google has done to the Nexus owners, too bad outside of Google or Apple there are no real competitors.

This phone is barely 1 year old and already lagging system wide.

I don't root or any of that stuff, plain stock.

there's pros and cons on both. I use my pixel as my work phone sometimes (when I feel like carrying around two phones at work) and they both have strengths and weaknesses. Apps are still better on iOS and I don't just mean overall selection, I mean equivalent apps on both devices are almost always better on the iphone. I've never had to wonder what's draining the battery, standby time is basically perfection, listening to music uses almost zero battery, etc....whereas on the pixel those things have been randomly an issue sometimes. That's more of an android problem. Pixel is better them than other android phones. But the upsides of android are enough to overlook it sometimes. Cons for iOS are well documented and I agree with some of them as well.

That's why I just want better hardware design and I'm good. Less bezel on the smaller pixel, waterproofing, etc... and I'm switching back.

I agree on the software front. Snapchat is infamously terrible on Android and I use that all the time. So far It's much better on Pixel but still can't match my iPhone. Also sense I was given this iPhone it only has 16gb of storage so app space is limited once I add the cocktail of stuff my job requires.

I agree on the software front. Snapchat is infamously terrible on Android and I use that all the time. So far It's much better on Pixel but still can't match my iPhone. Also sense I was given this iPhone it only has 16gb of storage so app space is limited once I add the cocktail of stuff my job requires.
yeah 16gb on an iphone is a joke because apple is still stingy as FUCK with that icloud storage. Can't believe it's still 5gb for everything.

Groof

The Nexus 6P has gone to shit since 7.1, ESPECIALLY the Google keyboard lag issues, the last patch didn't fix it.

So sad what Google has done to the Nexus owners, too bad outside of Google or Apple there are no real competitors.

I don't get much lag but have to deal with the shit battery, but it's a shame what happened to this phone considering it was absolutely amazing when it came out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am greatly enjoying my iPhone time right now. It's gotten way better after adjusting a bit from my 6P. Some of my gripes are the same as Spork: Slow scrolling, poor sharing, no default apps, switching apps is not as fast.

I got my 7+ in yesterday but have shelved it for the SE. The SE is really awesome. It's super tiny and makes me remember why I miss small phones. No, the screen itself isn't why. It's mostly the feel of the device. The entire thing is engulfed by my one hand. It fits in pockets so easily, in the sense you don't even know it's there. I only wish it had my 7's home button and 3D touch. Otherwise, love it and prefer it. It's making me reconsider getting an XL model of my next phone, be it Pixel or iPhone.

Also, the iPhone SE just feels so good. The design is outstanding and superior to the 7 or literally every other phone ever made. Except the iPhone 4/4S. That was special.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wtf is this bullshit that the GS7 Nougat update intentionally downclocks the screen res to 1080p default. You have to go into settings to set it back to 1440p.

tzare

Wtf is this bullshit that the GS7 Nougat update intentionally downclocks the screen res to 1080p default. You have to go into settings to set it back to 1440p.

there are a number of performance modes afaik (first seen on Note 7) to save battery life on Nougat for the S7 series. Some of them allow to reduce resolution , you must have one of those enabled.

reKon

Banned
It's a brilliant option to have, but they probably should have had it the other way around and kept it at 1440p by default.

tzare

It's a brilliant option to have, but they probably should have had it the other way around and kept it at 1440p by default.

yes i think it is a nice option to have. I'd love one of those tech sites or youtube reviewers to make a comparison test to see if it is worth to lower resolution and if it really has an impact on battery life

reKon

Banned

Because of this comment I refreshed my software update button and of course Android 7 was available and has started downloading for me. The benefits of owning an unlocked international phone...

TTOOLL

Because of this comment I refreshed my software update button and of course Android 7 was available and has started downloading for me. The benefits of owning an unlocked international phone...

hnng, what country do you live? I haven't got mine yet. Exynos version here.

Also ad blocking on iPhone is so much better. Don't think Google will ever incorporate it into Chrome mobile. The CAF browsers do it but they all suck compared to Safari's plugins. I've tried almost all of the CAF browsers and while they block ads they don't seem to reformat the layout to get rid of these huge empty blocks where the ads used to be like iOS or desktop ad blockers do.

Adguard on Android does do it but requires you to constantly run in VPN mode and it does not block Google search ads unless you allow it to intercept your https traffic which I will not do.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't know what the fuck this bullshit is. Perhaps you could link the source were you read it?

http://www.androidauthority.com/sam...ge-display-resolution-scaling-setting-744111/

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s7-display-defaults-full-hd-after-nougat-update

there are a number of performance modes afaik (first seen on Note 7) to save battery life on Nougat for the S7 series. Some of them allow to reduce resolution , you must have one of those enabled.

I don't have the phone FYI, but it's enabled automatically with the default set to 1080p.

Bingo.

It's also creating a non native image output which fucks with image quality.

NH Apache

Banned
I'm reading that if you try and use gear VR with the lowered resolution (you can even bump it down to 720p), it makes you set it back to QHD.

ty_hot

Omg, the Honor 8 is so cheap in the USA... I was checking amazon.com by mistake and its around 330 now, while in europe its 400 euros, sometimes going as low as 350. So I checked camelcamel and the cheapest in EUA was actually 265 during the black friday! This price difference arrrghhh Right now I am waiting for a discount in the Honor 8 in europe as my girlfriend decided she wants one (she only cares about it looking nice and taking decent photos), but after seeing those american prices I will feel robbed no matter what deal I will get in here lol

so, is there any site that checks the prices of a product in one click in all european amazons?

I have a 6P arriving next week. Bought it because I felt like it would run smooth the latest android and the next one (Android 8 or 7.2 or whatever they decide it is later this year...).

Worst case scenario I can move to LineageOS/Cyanogen that will certainly work well on it.

So I was getting MMS photos from my wife as slideshows instead of pictures, which was really annoying. Switching my MMS messaging app from the default to Hangouts seems to have fixed the problem. Are there any drawbacks to this that I should be aware of?

reKon

Banned
Omg, the Honor 8 is so cheap in the USA... I was checking amazon.com by mistake and its around 330 now, while in europe its 400 euros, sometimes going as low as 350. So I checked camelcamel and the cheapest in EUA was actually 265 during the black friday! This price difference arrrghhh Right now I am waiting for a discount in the Honor 8 in europe as my girlfriend decided she wants one (she only cares about it looking nice and taking decent photos), but after seeing those american prices I will feel robbed no matter what deal I will get in here lol

so, is there any site that checks the prices of a product in one click in all european amazons?

I have a 6P arriving next week. Bought it because I felt like it would run smooth the latest android and the next one (Android 8 or 7.2 or whatever they decide it is later this year...).

Worst case scenario I can move to LineageOS/Cyanogen that will certainly work well on it.

Honor 8 was as low as $220 around black friday time after working some magic and taking advantage of offers from jet.com

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I was getting MMS photos from my wife as slideshows instead of pictures, which was really annoying. Switching my MMS messaging app from the default to Hangouts seems to have fixed the problem. Are there any drawbacks to this that I should be aware of?

Which app was your default? Hangouts is decent, but Messenger is better.

Also ad blocking on iPhone is so much better. Don't think Google will ever incorporate it into Chrome mobile. The CAF browsers do it but they all suck compared to Safari's plugins. I've tried almost all of the CAF browsers and while they block ads they don't seem to reformat the layout to get rid of these huge empty blocks where the ads used to be like iOS or desktop ad blockers do.

Adguard on Android does do it but requires you to constantly run in VPN mode and it does not block Google search ads unless you allow it to intercept your https traffic which I will not do.
They never will because it goes against their business but I WISHHHH google integrated ad blocking on the API level. So damn gooooood.

Top Bottom