• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

remz

rear fingerprint reader- good
minimal font bezel- good
lg- eeeeeeeeeeh

both my lg g3 and n4 died after taking a tumble from my pocket and having the screen totally smash... by contrast my 6p fell down concrete stairs and is still ok. furthermore, my g3 was pretty laggy considering the specs- i tend to think lg software was responsible. i'm just really sketchy on their phones now

Samsung too strong against the law.

Samsung leader won't be arrested in South Korean President bribery case http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-leader-not-arrested-743950/

Samsung is literally 30% of South Korea's export GDP. This one company is responsible for one-third of the country's exports. They aren't strong against the law. They literally are the law in Korea.

If you ever want to see what a prototype corporate nation looks like, just look at South Korea.

If non-stock phones are your thing, S8 seems like it will be superior to the G6 in every conceivable way.

Me thinks LG is fucked.

If S8 keeps the headphone jack and G6 ditches it, you can stick a fork in LG. They're done.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Loving this iPhone SE. Seriously. Also, yeah, ad blocking in Safari is ridiculously easy. You just install an app, enable a setting in Safari, and never touch the app again unless you white list websites like NeoGAF. Insanely easy and gets rid of so much nonsense. I was shocked at how easy it is.

kharma45

rear fingerprint reader- good
minimal font bezel- good
lg- eeeeeeeeeeh

both my lg g3 and n4 died after taking a tumble from my pocket and having the screen totally smash... by contrast my 6p fell down concrete stairs and is still ok. furthermore, my g3 was pretty laggy considering the specs- i tend to think lg software was responsible. i'm just really sketchy on their phones now

The specs were the reason it was laggy. It was a 1440p screen with 2GB RAM and an 801. The 2GB RAM was probably the bigger hinderence out of the two.

reKon

Banned
OK Samsung actually did a really good job with the Android 7.1.1 update. Everything looks cleaner and there are some very nice customization that you can apply to really tailor the device to how you want it performing. There just a ton of small improvements.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same thing, but it really feels like the device is a step snappier and still just as smooth as Android 6. I have the Exynos version, but I think it was the snapdragon version that would benefit the most on this if Samsung actually spent time optimizing for the SD820.

This is probably one of the reasons that Note 7 owners were pissed. Some good shit here.

DagsJT

OK Samsung actually did a really good job with the Android 7.1.1 update. Everything looks cleaner and there are some very nice customization that you can apply to really tailor the device to how you want it performing. There just a ton of small improvements.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same thing, but it really feels like the device is a step snappier and still just as smooth as Android 6. I have the Exynos version, but I think it was the snapdragon version that would benefit the most on this if Samsung actually spent time optimizing for the SD820.

This is probably one of the reasons that Note 7 owners were pissed. Some good shit here.

Isn't it 7.0 that Sumsung released and not 7.1.1?

Asgaro

Wtf is this bullshit that the GS7 Nougat update intentionally downclocks the screen res to 1080p default. You have to go into settings to set it back to 1440p.

What's wrong with that?

- If you didn't notice the change: be happy, you wouldn't have noticed it and would have saved battery/received better performance in the process.
- If you did notice it: you would have double checked the settings and noticed it's now on 1080p and then have changed it to the useless 1440p.

Win-win for both sides.

Hasney

lol "useless". While 1080p in a phone isn't a bad, looking at that non-native res screen is awful. My friend was complaining about it until we Googled the issue.

F0m1yA9.jpg

Man, Nougat is fucking cool. This is a feature I already love more than anything.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That's the biggest reason I'd go for an XL model. Split screen. Although I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

Hasney

I use split screen quite a bit on the Nexus 6p. Saves me having a separate device for a browser when watching sports highlights or whatever.

Splitscreen isn't for me, I guess. I never use it on my S7. Probably because the browser lets you pop out the video instead and float it over the apps, iOS PiP style. That's much more useful to me.

Hail Samsung.

No Love

Banned
I am greatly enjoying my iPhone time right now. It's gotten way better after adjusting a bit from my 6P. Some of my gripes are the same as Spork: Slow scrolling, poor sharing, no default apps, switching apps is not as fast.

I got my 7+ in yesterday but have shelved it for the SE. The SE is really awesome. It's super tiny and makes me remember why I miss small phones. No, the screen itself isn't why. It's mostly the feel of the device. The entire thing is engulfed by my one hand. It fits in pockets so easily, in the sense you don't even know it's there. I only wish it had my 7's home button and 3D touch. Otherwise, love it and prefer it. It's making me reconsider getting an XL model of my next phone, be it Pixel or iPhone.

Also, the iPhone SE just feels so good. The design is outstanding and superior to the 7 or literally every other phone ever made. Except the iPhone 4/4S. That was special.

About to get an iPhone SE as a business phone so this kind of feedback is helpful.

Mindwipe

There are still far too many apps that don't like split screen.

I'm looking at you, OneNote.

The more I use this Xperia XA the more I think Android One is even more doomed than everyone says. The average Android One phone will offer no features this one doesn't (and worse design), and will be three times what I paid for it. It still gets software updates. If you're not willing to pay top tier there are amazing bargains on slightly older handsets. So why bother with Android One?

About to get an iPhone SE as a business phone so this kind of feedback is helpful.
if you have to carry around a separate work phone it's actually pretty perfect because of its size/performance/quality

In fact the only negative is that once you experience the fingerprint scanner on the 6s/7 line, that one feels a bit slow. Pretty negligible overall though.

Bboy AJ

I really hope Apple makes a new SE, though it's doubtful. It's a Special Edition for a reason. But the lack of force touch, slower fingerprint sensor, and old home button are big quality of life misses.

Still. Really great phone. Are there any Android phones like it or coming out? Z3 Compact I guess but even then. Rip small phones.

Also, I've been using Android Wear Sony 3 with my iPhone. Works pretty darn well. I don't miss anything on my iPhone that I'd otherwise have with my Nexus. I guess some notifications show up in a stranger fashion. Messages pop up as separate notifications instead of one chat. Little stuff like that.

reKon

Banned
If Sony was component then a Xperia Z6 Compact would have been your phone. I owned the Z3 Compact and it was really an incredible phone. The only reason I changed was because of the lack of 12 band LTE.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have no doubt the iPhone SE will eventually get a sequel. It might not be yearly, but Apple likes to have to one smaller cheaper entry price point phone also the 5C or SE.

The only issue will be force touch going forward. Idk if they can do the haptic feedback and such in a device that small.

That being said if Apple and Samsung get rid of the bezels and go to built into the screen home buttons and such then it might not be as big of an issue. The 4.7 iPhone without the bezels isn't that much bigger than the SE per say.

Vanillalite

ty_hot

The iphone SE almost made me go iOS for the first time. If it costed a little less (50) or had a bigger screen (0.5) i would have made the change.

Its beautiful and really powerful. its a tiny 6S basically, few things missing. And as i never had a 6s (or any iphone) I wouldn't miss them.

this_guy

Why should Lenovo place Motorola as a direct competitor to the Chinese brands?

They should keep the G series the same price as previous years. And right now the Chinese brands support their phones with security updates better than Lenovo owned Moto, which itself is a Chinese brand.

Vanillalite

Why should Lenovo place Motorola as a direct competitor to the Chinese brands?

Well Moto is a sub brand of a Chinese company not that any of that matters.

As this guy said it's about the value proposition. The G series was always a great value phone without being suuupperr entry level like the E series.

The Honor 6X is already out for $250 with a 5.5 inch screen and more base storage.

The $250-$450 phone segment is EXTREMELY competitive now. So you can't come out with a price hike and mediocre specs and expect to have the same success.

Jeffrey

Don't forget to account for the new tariffs coming to the US!

Don't they usually match iphone? Think cheapest flagship 7 starts at $650.

zewone

latest render for s8.

feel like the samsung logo should be a bit higher? could use more margins.

The bezels look incredibly thin and that Samsung logo appears to be taking up the whole bezel.

It's pretty gaudy.

Wish there was no branding on the front.

ty_hot

Finally got to try the Honor 8. I visited at least 7 different stores in the last days/weeks looking for it... today more 3, then i was already giving up and I found it on display in a Mediamarket.

It was the black color, so not as nice as the blue already, but there were so many prints on its back, it was ugly and not shinny... maybe because its on display, but it gave a bad impression

Camera is fine, but expected something better... and my girlfriend doesnt like its size - she wants 5,5 at least now. So we are not getting it. Probably gonna wait for the next Oneplus 4... or if the S7 edge drops well in price after the 8 comes, its another option.

Or she could end up having my Nexus 6P and I can get whatever phone I like (5 inches is enough for me).

Vanillalite

Had an old cheap printer in the casa that we've had for like this whole decade.

Wife had to go get some ink, and just decided to upgrade to a new printer.

Old one was just base model wired. She got us a cheap wireless Epson. It's nothing fancy, and I get that laser is probably the better long term value. We don't print much as it is.

That being said Epson app is legit, and the app had built in link to sync to Google Cloud Print. So $$$. Already added the wife and the kids accounts too.

Top Bottom