• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Ahhh no, the innovations! Anyway, Qualcomm is doing nasty stuff, fuck the. Funny thing too is Apple all high and mighty claiming innovations? Fuck them, too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I choked on my cereal seeing Apple of all companies pointing fingers at others for overcharging.
What's overpriced? Build quality and customer service cost money. So does software.

man, imagine how much money Samsung burned in 2015 using the Exynos in the USA because the Snapdragon was a disaster that year.

shows how much they care about their products, unlike the other companies that rocked the 810

Avixph

man, imagine how much money Samsung burned in 2015 using the Exynos in the USA because the Snapdragon was a disaster that year.

shows how much they care about their products, unlike the other companies that rocked the 810
Will the US Samsung Galaxy S8 come with an Exynox processor?
I hope so.

The bezels look incredibly thin and that Samsung logo appears to be taking up the whole bezel.

It's pretty gaudy.

Wish there was no branding on the front.

Should have kept the front logo-less.

Samsung will never remove their logo from the device. Unlike other companies, they are proud to put their name prominently on the device where the owner can see it.

It's funny that Nvidia actually complained about Qualcomm's monopolistic behavior some years ago now, while they were trying to get their Icera software modem acquisition off the ground and integrated with Tegra.

No one really cared about Nvidia's complaints as Nvidia was a tiny fish in a big pond. Now look at Qualcomm, they now have major world governments and Apple breathing down their necks. Why don't you get fucked Qualcomm.

What's overpriced? Build quality and customer service cost money. So does software.

What kind of costumer service? Because at least in my country, for example, Apple does not replace batteries.

They give you the very nice option of either nothing and going home with a dead phone, or getting a new replacement phone, for a fee.

The problem with that fee? It's that it's 80% of the phone's retail price.

So you either go home with a dead phone, or if you have ie an iPhone 6, and it costs 500 euros retail, Apple will happily give you a brand new replacement phone, as long as you pay 400 euros.

That to me is not costumer service, that's raking in the profits. They could replace the battery for a fee and still profit. But no, they just sell you another phone for 5x the profit, or else you go home with a dead phone.

Lol Qualcomm - hope they get destroyed by Apple and the FTC. Maybe one day we'll see all the phones worth caring about (Apple, Samsung, Google) completely divest themselves from Qualcomm.

LeleSocho

Banned
Samsung will never remove their logo from the device. Unlike other companies, they are proud to put their name prominently on the device where the owner can see it.

They could always settle for the logo on the back which would be totally fine.
These are the little things that distinguish great companies to simply big companies in my opinion...
If the S8 manages to have a clean front it can potentially have an immediately classic design, if it sticks that crappy ass logo on the front then it will be just one of the other phones this year.

They could always settle for the logo on the back which would be totally fine.
These are the little things that distinguish great companies to simply big companies in my opinion...
If the S8 manages to have a clean front it can potentially have an immediately classic design, if it sticks that crappy ass logo on the front then it will be just one of the other phones this year.

silly

Talon

What kind of costumer service? Because at least in my country, for example, Apple does not replace batteries.

They give you the very nice option of either nothing and going home with a dead phone, or getting a new replacement phone, for a fee.

The problem with that fee? It's that it's 80% of the phone's retail price.

So you either go home with a dead phone, or if you have ie an iPhone 6, and it costs 500 euros retail, Apple will happily give you a brand new replacement phone, as long as you pay 400 euros.

That to me is not costumer service, that's raking in the profits. They could replace the battery for a fee and still profit. But no, they just sell you another phone for 5x the profit, or else you go home with a dead phone.
Do you live in Bosnia and Herzegovina?

Logo on the front is classic company telling you they don't value their customer experience more than they do themselves. It would obviously look a lot better and be a nicer design if there was no logo on the front but nope, them branding your phone and making sure you know it is far more important than your experience lol.

Respect to companies that don't do it anymore in the android world like Motorola and google with the pixel. I don't think huawei does it either.

Avixph

Why hasn't Samsung created a symbol logo for their Galaxy line of products? It could be an a small S that resembles a galaxy.

It may be silly, but it's true. Having that logo on the front just ruins the design, if there are basically no other elements on the front. A Samsung logo is not something I'd show off with pride. Not that I'd do that with any other logo anyway, because it's stupid. But still, those companies should let their distinctive design speak for their brand. Instead I have a Samsung logo on the front and back of my S7, because reasons.

It's the same stupid shit carriers do and i remember slightly different reactions to that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No, why?

I'm not sure how costumer support is in the USA, but at least where I live, I do not get the impression there's anything better about Apple's costumer service than any other brand.
To which building can I go to get on site repair of any other phone by the manufacturer?

It may be silly, but it's true. Having that logo on the front just ruins the design, if there are basically no other elements on the front. A Samsung logo is not something I'd show off with pride. Not that I'd do that with any other logo anyway, because it's stupid. But still, those companies should let their distinctive design speak for their brand. Instead I have a Samsung logo on the front and back of my S7, because reasons.

It's the same stupid shit carriers do and i remember slightly different reactions to that.

The logo on the front is obviously there because most people put their phone down face up and you can't see the logo on the back.

Groof

Why hasn't Samsung created a symbol logo for their Galaxy line of products? It could be an a small S that resembles a galaxy.

you mean like this?

galaxy-s6-logo.jpg

To which building can I go to get on site repair of any other phone by the manufacturer?

Ahahah I'm at a loss here, my bad. Getting the feeling I'm missing something obvious here.

You can head to the store you bought the phone from for example.

But there isn't a repair in any situation by the manufacturer, Apple. There is no repair. Apple does not replace batteries on iPhones here, and the only provided solution, if you go through the store you bought it from, or any big box repair store that is dealing with this, that sends the iPhone to Apple, is that you can get a new replacement unit of your same model, by paying 80% of the value of said phone in retail. No batteries are replaced and no other solutions are given...

Well you could explain then ;) Thanks for being so helpful, I'm sure you've never missed something obvious in your life before.

I'm not even arguing their costumer service is bad, or worse than other brands, so I guess if could spare a couple minutes, please tell me what I'm missing here.

Edit: and if you still haven't read the post, I just want to add that I don't live in the US/UK etc, so what might be obvious for many people, might not be obvious to me. Things may work differently here. Just like Apple has an upgrade service in the US, but not here, just like you can call a number in the US to have someone help you choose an iPhone that's right for you, but not here. Things can just vary and be different from country to country.

Folks.

Where's the best place to buy extra batteries for phones? I need a Moto G4 Play battery, but I feel like this is the type of thing you don't want to buy a cheap knock off of.

Amazon doesn't have them, or I can't find them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm buying a new phone this year, anybody else?

It would be cool to know what you think you'll end up with before any of the 2017 announcements are made and then see how it changes based on the actual product announcements.

Right now, my guess is that I'll buy a Galaxy S8.

I will pay attention to the LG announcements and maybe HTC will announce as well, so it will be cool to see what I actually end up buying.

ty_hot

It would be cool to know what you think you'll end up with before any of the 2017 announcements are made and then see how it changes based on the actual product announcements.

I will pay attention to the LG announcements and maybe HTC will announce as well, so it will be cool to see what I actually end up buying.

HTC already announced a new model for March that goes against everything they did on the great HTC 10.

I get one every year :p

I'll 100% end up with an iphone 8 or whatever it's called or a pixel 2.

HTC already announced a new model for March that goes against everything they did on the great HTC 10.
yeah but we all know that's not their new flagship for the year

ty_hot

I get one every year :p

I'll 100% end up with an iphone 8 or whatever it's called or a pixel 2.

yeah but we all know that's not their new flagship for the year

sure, but then the S8 will have already launched and people wont wait to see the new HTC flagship, unless they announce it months before it is released (as the HTC U Ultra lol), which would also be a bad thing (why did they do it with the U Ultra?)

sure, but then the S8 will have already launched and people wont wait to see the new HTC flagship, unless they announce it months before it is released (as the HTC U Ultra lol), which would also be a bad thing (why did they do it with the U Ultra?)
oh yeah don't get me wrong it will flop no matter what, just saying the one they announced is not their flagship.

So do I, one off contract and one on contract. There are a few non negotiables for me:

-64gb minimum (before SD expansion)

-quad HD minimum (for VR)

-top tier camera

-waterproof
my only dealbreakers are shitty battery life and price not matching features. I realize that second one is loaded but for instance the pixel, if they want to charge iphone prices then they need to include OIS and waterproofing etc.... needs to have more perks than bog standard flagship running stock. I guess top tier camera is also a dealbreaker if it sucks.

At this point I think I'm going to get the next iPhone. I am very happy with my iPhone 7, but I pretty much get a new phone every year and I expect the next iPhone's going to be a big leap if they trim down the bezel and/or increase the screen size.

Bboy AJ

Yeah, after a few years of not being on iOS, I think I'm ready to jump back for good. There's a ton I love about my temporary iPhone SE. The hardware is sublime. The OS just feels better and more refined. It needs a few substantial changes but overall, it's a refreshing change. The notifications really stink compared to Android, though. Android is miles ahead.

Pixel 2 will really need to impress. Otherwise, I'll switch to iOS permanently again.

Top Bottom