• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Yeah, after a few years of not being on iOS, I think I'm ready to jump back for good. There's a ton I love about my temporary iPhone SE. The hardware is sublime. The OS just feels better and more refined. It needs a few substantial changes but overall, it's a refreshing change. The notifications really stink compared to Android, though. Android is miles ahead.

Pixel 2 will really need to impress. Otherwise, I'll switch to iOS permanently again.
I agree on the pixel 2....if it's not a significant jump in a few ways it will seem like it's 2 years behind, ASSUMING the rumoured new iphone is true.

Should be interesting....and yes apple at this point should just straight up copy android notifications. I expect it to be a large part of ios11 because it's one of the few things that isn't as refined as their rest of the OS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Meh, its the new car smell. I loved my SE last year, but eventually the little nagging issues with iOS started bothering me again. Not being able to change default apps, app restrictions that mean I have to babysit my OneDrive backups, crap notifications, the boring stale springboard that I couldn't customize, etc.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like, but all these operating systems have nagging issues.

Meh, its the new car smell. I loved my SE last year, but eventually the little nagging issues with iOS started bothering me again. Not being able to change default apps, app restrictions that mean I have to babysit my OneDrive backups, crap notifications, the boring stale springboard that I couldn't customize, etc.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like, but all these operating systems have nagging issues.
some of those are more subjective than "nagging issues'. Just things you'd like. I personally don't care about homescreens on any OS much because I never spend any time in them. Default apps would be a very tiny convenience. Doesn't come up much since a lot of third party apps give you the option of which you want to open which is a decent workaround if apple wont bake it into the OS yet.

Notifications are the only ones I think need a lot of improvement. They aren't bad but they're outdated as fuck compared to android.

Either way it will be an interesting flagship battle this year. Will be great to see who steps up to the plate and who totally underwhelms.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
some of those are more subjective than "nagging issues'. Just things you'd like.

Only one of those was subjective brah, and I'm not trying to start system wars here, just putting out an informed counterpoint to some areas where iOS falls short of Android. In the Android thread.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Default apps are a pain, yes. App restrictions, also agreed. Google Photos not backing up with quite the nuance it does on Android. Meaning, on power plug and wifi only. I don't care about the spring board but I do miss my Twitter widget.

You could be right about new car smell. Just today, I looked for the Pocketcasts trim silence option. Doesn't exist like it does on Android. Really annoying. I'll see how it goes before I decide whether I can live with these iOS issues. Part of them, though, is from not fully embracing the Apple ecosystem. If I used Apple Photos instead of Google, it'd be seamless. Maps, Chrome syncing, I wouldn't need to care for default apps.

Now I feel less happy about iOS. Thanks :/

DagsJT

Default apps are a pain, yes. App restrictions, also agreed. Google Photos not backing up with quite the nuance it does on Android. Meaning, on power plug and wifi only. I don't care about the spring board but I do miss my Twitter widget.

You could be right about new car smell. Just today, I looked for the Pocketcasts trim silence option. Doesn't exist like it does on Android. Really annoying. I'll see how it goes before I decide whether I can live with these iOS issues. Part of them, though, is from not fully embracing the Apple ecosystem. If I used Apple Photos instead of Google, it'd be seamless. Maps, Chrome syncing, I wouldn't need to care for default apps.

You're sure trim silence isn't there on iOS? I could've swore I used it when I had my 6S recently.

"App restrictions" is a bit of a loaded term. I don't want apps to have free roam like they do on android on iOS. That's part of what causes annoying things in android where you always end up having to deep dive to see which app is fucking your all your shit up. Probably one of my most hated things on android imo. There needs to be a balance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Neither gets the app restriction balance just right, but when it interferes with the functioning of an app, like automated photo backup, then that's worse. I don't see how you could even debate that.

reKon

Banned
Neither gets the app restriction balance just right, but when it interferes with the functioning of an app, like automated photo backup, then that's worse. I don't see how you could even debate that.

So I wasn't going crazy when I couldn't get my mom's shit to auto back up to Google photos? That's infuriating to me..

I feel Apple will really blow every other phone in the market this year.
Bigger screen/bezel-less display and a file manager would be an instant switch for me.
I have no doubt they will also improve notifications.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I wasn't going crazy when I couldn't get my mom's shit to auto back up to Google photos? That's infuriating to me..

Like bboy said, it'll work great if you're using their garbage ass iCloud service. That's just dumb, but as long as people defend those practices under the banner of "balance", then they'll keep getting away with it.

I have trim silence and volume boost in my iOS Pocket Casts. Trim silence only works with downloaded podcasts for now though, they haven't updated it to work on streamed podcasts yet but supposedly it's coming.

I'm buying a new phone this year, anybody else?

It would be cool to know what you think you'll end up with before any of the 2017 announcements are made and then see how it changes based on the actual product announcements.

Right now, my guess is that I'll buy a Galaxy S8.

I will pay attention to the LG announcements and maybe HTC will announce as well, so it will be cool to see what I actually end up buying.

Note 8

Pachimari

I completely broke my iPhone 6 last year, so I'm considering an iPhone 7S this fall. Although I'm also looking at the possibility of an Android phone. LG G3 is still a favorite phone of mine, but that is in large parts thanks to the replaceable battery, and it doesn't seem like any of the upcoming phones this year will have this feature. So if no phones will have replaceable battery, I might look into the Samsung Galaxy S8, and the only Galaxy phone I've owned before was the Galaxy Nexus. I wonder what new stuff the S8 comes with besides a edge-to-edge sceen.

ty_hot

Its impressive how the iphones retain value. I was checking prices, and even the 6 is super expensive nowadays comparing with the Galaxy S6 that was released in the same year.

It really is expensive to get a new iPhone, but once you get the first one, you just need 200-300 every 2 years to upgrade to a newer version. That is the same that people spend buying cheap android phones, 100-150, and they last a year. So you just need to make the jump once and spend 500 more, then after all upgrades will come for almost the same price that you would spend for shit phones.

I just cant see why people buy used iphones. If you pay 100-150 more you get a NEW phone that is the NEWER version already... when the thing costs 700, 100 is not that much.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're sure trim silence isn't there on iOS? I could've swore I used it when I had my 6S recently.
I have trim silence and volume boost in my iOS Pocket Casts. Trim silence only works with downloaded podcasts for now though, they haven't updated it to work on streamed podcasts yet but supposedly it's coming.
Yeah, it's there. But it's not in settings menu. It's in the podcast itself settings menu. Annoying. I asked them on Twitter and they responded.

Yes but how do you restrict if you're Apple without fully going Android? Neither OS does it perfectly.

You can. It just needs to be manually activated sometimes.

Hasney

The Note 7 explodey press conference is on now:

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=HzjlUt4Trg4

Unavailable. Shit. Did some fanboys phone blow up?!

EDIT: Found it.

"Our investigation, as well as the investigations completed by three independent industry organisations, concluded that the batteries were found to be the cause of the Note7 incidents.

Uh, thanks? That was from the Express that had this image in its story

Samsung-Note-7-fire-757557.jpg

Yes but how do you restrict if you're Apple without fully going Android? Neither OS does it perfectly.

Eh, I know which way I prefer. Even before I ever touched an Android phone, I had to be constantly jailbreaking iOS to get it how I wanted it. It wasthe annoyingness of holding back updates to wait for the jailbreak that made me switch originally.

Blackhead

Redarse
Its impressive how the iphones retain value. I was checking prices, and even the 6 is super expensive nowadays comparing with the Galaxy S6 that was released in the same year.

It really is expensive to get a new iPhone, but once you get the first one, you just need 200-300 every 2 years to upgrade to a newer version. That is the same that people spend buying cheap android phones, 100-150, and they last a year. So you just need to make the jump once and spend 500 more, then after all upgrades will come for almost the same price that you would spend for shit phones.

I just cant see why people buy used iphones. If you pay 100-150 more you get a NEW phone that is the NEWER version already... when the thing costs 700, 100 is not that much.
No, it's more complicated than that. Your analysis is off:
  • More people didn't pay 'full price' for that Galaxy S6 compared to people who paid 'full price' for the iPhone 6. About 6 months after the Galaxy S6 launch (by Black Friday) there would have been a promotion/price cut. Whereas the iPhone 6 stayed at 'full price' for ~11 months. So right off the bat, more people would be spending ~$500 on Galaxy and $650 on iPhone so $150 savings/smaller initial investment.
  • You overestimate the resale value of iPhones. iPhone 6 for as low as $259. So it's 300-400 every two years or 200-300 every year with tax, reseller fees, time wasted etc. NB: the glory days of iPhone resale value were the 3GS to the 5. There are various factors for declining resale value (lack of innovation/compelling design etc) but the simplest are larger supply (the iPhone 6 was best selling phone ever resulting in many more on the used market) combined with lower demand (iPhones are available on almost every carrier, in almost every country, so few people need unlocked/used phones)

And it should be obvious why some people go with the rock basement $150 android phones:
  • cheaper plans are available for the cheaper phones
  • that initial "500 once" is too large for a lot of people
  • shit happens (loss, broken phone etc) at suddenly the person has to make another $500 decision not just once

Finally why do/should people buy used iPhones:
  • As already mentioned, used iPhones are cheaper than you think, cheaper plans etc
  • However the USA market has recently changed. No more buying phones as part of plans. So I actually agree with you here and now that getting a new iPhone with a no-money down, 0% interest free loan from Apple Upgrade program (which tacks on AppleCare+) is a nobrainer. TMobile Jump program even offers deals/sales on iPhones at launch now, don't have to wait ~11 months anymore. It's a bit insane really.
  • Outside the USA, the used iPhone market is still sensible. That's because of rising prices of new iPhones. iPhone 6 launched at $750 in Canada while iPhone 7 launched at $900. The iPhone is steady at $650 in the USA but everywhere else the fluctuating currencies means you can't bank on selling/upgrading your iPhone every year for 200-300 (much less 100-150)

There's a middle ground between 150 shitty android phones and 650 iphones. The best bang for your buck has usually been an unlocked 350-500 Nexus phone combined with a cheap cell phone plan. Replace Nexus with Axon/Huawei/OnePlus etc but the principle still holds imo

So turns out the note didn't explode because of ALL THE INNOVATIONZ!!!

Two totally separate defects lol. They probably shouldn't have rushed the second batch after the first recall.

Bboy AJ

So turns out the note didn't explode because of ALL THE INNOVATIONZ!!!

Two totally separate defects lol. They probably shouldn't have rushed the second batch after the first recall.
Interesting how the first battery has a 100% failure rate. Kind of scary.

"App restrictions" is a bit of a loaded term. I don't want apps to have free roam like they do on android on iOS. That's part of what causes annoying things in android where you always end up having to deep dive to see which app is fucking your all your shit up. Probably one of my most hated things on android imo. There needs to be a balance.

Yeah I'd gladly take these "app restrictions" if it meant I never have to self diagnose battery drain and wake locks ever again. Same for Android's god awful permissioning system.

Really think they need to fix these two things before I'd ever recommend an Android phone to, say, my parents.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know that the batteries were deficiently built, but does that mean the thinness played no role at all? Like, if the batteries had more room to expand, would both failures still have happened?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I know that the batteries were deficiently built, but does that mean the thinness played no role at all? Like, if the batteries had more room to expand, would both failures still have happened?

It's hard to say. Even if they had some room to expand, it's unclear whether it would have been sufficient, or if they would have expanded to fill whatever space was available until they burst.

The clear lesson is that they did not seem to do enough QA and testing even though they are one of the largest manufacturers out there.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's just odd is all. All these different messaging clients.

They are shifting Hangouts to be a corporate tool, so the various things that were part of it for regular people are now getting separated and revitalized. Messaging, Allo/Duo, Voice...

And lots of people used and still use Google Voice for free "home" service and visual voicemail.

Saiyan-Rox

They are shifting Hangouts to be a corporate tool, so the various things that were part of it for regular people are now getting separated and revitalized. Messaging, Allo/Duo, Voice...

And lots of people used and still use Google Voice for free "home" service and visual voicemail.

Honestly I've never ever used Voice (it was mainly Us wasn't it?) I couldn't get the hang of how hangouts worked either really.

But with allo is voice really needed? Not that I use it either no one I know use it.

this_guy

Honestly I've never ever used Voice (it was mainly Us wasn't it?) I couldn't get the hang of how hangouts worked either really.

But with allo is voice really needed? Not that I use it either no one I know use it.

Allo messages are only on one device. If you switch phones and download Allo none of your messages transfer over.

As a Google Voice user I can send and receive text messages on my desktop or on any one of several phones. Also when someone calls me I can have multiple phones ring (I can also answer on my desktop if I have a headset connected). It's very useful.

Jeffrey

Gear s3 is $300 at best buy and I assume other places too. Thinking of picking it up.

Does android wear 2.0 add anything game changing?

Saiyan-Rox

Allo messages are only on one device. If you switch phones and download Allo none of your messages transfer over.

As a Google Voice user I can send and receive text messages on my desktop or on any one of several phones. Also when someone calls me I can have multiple phones ring (I can also answer on my desktop if I have a headset connected). It's very useful.

Huh I can see that being pretty good but it gives you a new number like allo does if you text someone from it doesn't it? I'm happy for people who use the service though but it does seem to be US centred.

this_guy

Huh I can see that being pretty good but it gives you a new number like allo does if you text someone from it doesn't it? I'm happy for people who use the service though but it does seem to be US centred.

It's the same cell number I've had for 10+ years. I ported my number to Google Voice, so people call and text me using the same number I've always had. I can make calls either using the standard dialer app, or I can make voip calls using the Hangouts dialer. It's very convenient once you know how it works.

But you're right this is great in the US but outside of the US I have no idea if any of this works.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's the same cell number I've had for 10+ years. I ported my number to Google Voice, so people call and text me using the same number I've always had. I can make calls either using the standard dialer app, or I can make voip calls using the Hangouts dialer. It's very convenient once you know how it works.

But you're right this is great in the US but outside of the US I have no idea if any of this works.

Same here. And our house IP phone is also a Google Voice number, so it gets the same benefits.

It was quite powerful and unique back when it came out, it just fell into neglect by Google with the rise of Hangouts.

Jeffrey

So LG ditches removable battery, what else does it have to differentiate besides boot loop?

Guess headphone jack is getting rare lol.

If it doesn't boot loop, if it has a great battery life, if it has waterproofing and isn't an outlandish price (more in line with Samsung or even the Pixel), then maybe I'll be interested.

iphone 6 look like a M7/M8 design
I agree overall but not as close as the edges of the iphone 6 compared to the phones coming out now. The key part is the metallic rounded perimeter around the phone, this is the only thing I'm referring to. I mean just look at the edges of the iphone 6 and look at the edges of a lot of recent phones. It's crazy. Some of them look legit identical.

shits bordering on identical lol

Top Bottom