• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

Supposedly the LG G6 isn't using the Snapdragon 835 going off of a Forbes rumor/leak. Apparently Samsung has bought up the entire stock of chips and Qualcomm will not have anything available until after the S8 launches. The article also suggests that insiders say this is why the HTC U Ultra is using the 821.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/...se-the-galaxy-s8-has-first-dips/#22ba551823d0

The G4 used the 808 instead of the 810 so that's plausible. Hopefully they price the G6 accordingly, and since LG phones lose value it should be a great value by summer.

HawkeyeIC

Supposedly the LG G6 isn't using the Snapdragon 835 going off of a Forbes rumor/leak. Apparently Samsung has bought up the entire stock of chips and Qualcomm will not have anything available until after the S8 launches. The article also suggests that insiders say this is why the HTC U Ultra is using the 821.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/...se-the-galaxy-s8-has-first-dips/#22ba551823d0

This is amazing. All the more reason for Google to not use Qualcomm going forward.

Ultratech

Welp, looks like my Nexus 5X got hit with the dreaded bootloop this morning. ;_;

Was working this morning, but then I pulled it out to take a picture and it was dead.
Managed to get it to pop up for about a minute, but it never made it past the Google splash screen.

The most bullshit part? The original warranty ran out YESTERDAY.
Thankfully, I got the Nexus Protect on it when I first got it, but even though they're sending a replacement phone, I don't imagine it'll last too long, so I'm probably gonna be looking for a new phone.

Any suggestions?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2.../#22ba551823d0
if this somehow ends up being true....HUUUUUGE smh at qualcomm and LG

they blackmailed Sam to make their chips and then buy them all up? lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Welp, looks like my Nexus 5X got hit with the dreaded bootloop this morning. ;_;

Was working this morning, but then I pulled it out to take a picture and it was dead.
Managed to get it to pop up for about a minute, but it never made it past the Google splash screen.

Thankfully, I got the Nexus Protect on it when I first got it, but even though they're sending a replacement phone, I don't imagine it'll last too long, so I'm probably gonna be looking for a new phone.

Any suggestions?
I'll only help if you weren't one of the people going all, "Well, my 5X has never bootlooped!" when us owners were complaining about LG.

Give us more criteria. Price? Nextbit Robin is a great phone for the price.

Any suggestions?

iPhone 7 Plus with Apple Care

Excited to see some snapdragon 835 benchmarks. Going back to a 8 core chip is a little scary. Hopefully they don't have overheating issues again.

It seems like their would/should be laws against something like this since it forces Samsung's competitors to use older technology or push their phones back into the Summer/Fall. Kind of shitty, but it is just another reminder that LG and other manufacturers should be manufacturing and using their own chips instead of being forced to rely on Qualcomm. I bet Huawei isn't sweating right now.

clav

What's troublesome is Qualcomm probably has some sort of discount for manufacturers who use their unwanted parts, which tend to overheat and deliver underwhelming performance.

Probably will see an increase in MediaTek SoCs used if supply + cost problems continue.

MediaTek has silently been delivering on the budget end of the scale in terms of performance/dollar.

Mediatek is still putting cut-rate GPUs in their SoCs but they are slowly improving there.

The really big deal with Qualcomm was that the Adreno was pretty beefy as mobile SoC GPUs went. Samsung was never big on GPU grunt, which is why they always use ARM Mali in Exynos which is kinda crap.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's more bullshit is Samsung already makes their own chips. They just need the Qualcomm chips for Na due to all the licensing bullshit.

I hope Apples takes Qualcomm to the fucking cleaners in their lawsuit.

Also I hope Huawei brings their 970 to the west ASAP. We need more competition.

kaiyo

Any suggestions?

Xperia XZ

Ryne

How are the Mi Max Pro and Mi5? I need a cheap phone to tide me over until the new flagships come out this year.

The Honor 8 I bought went to my mom.

What's more bullshit is Samsung already makes their own chips. They just need the Qualcomm chips for Na due to all the licensing bullshit.

I hope Apples takes Qualcomm to the fucking cleaners in their lawsuit.

Also I hope Huawei brings their 970 to the west ASAP. We need more competition.

Samsung makes Qualcomm's chips now too :lol

reKon

Banned
For those still looking for a good Android tablet at good size, the Huawei MediaPad M3 (8.4) seems really nice. It will be likely getting Nougat within the next few months, which will be FANTASTIC because they really improved the software on that version. With that you will have a great high-res screen, performance, building quality, and battery life.

Samsung Tab S3 is also incoming soon, but I read an article saying they are using the Exynos 7420, lol...

If true, Samsung is basically doing some aggressive cost cutting to maximum margin, but I gotta say is smart based on what they did with the S2. Despite being disappointed that my Tab S2 I use to own only had an Exynos 5433, it was one of the smoothest performing devices I've ever owned even with touchwiz and it had surprisingly good battery life for a device that thin with a a small battery...

I'm pretty sure that it was and still is the world's thinnest tablet.

It seems like my next phone will be between an iPhone 7S, LG G6 or Galaxy S8. I'm bummed none of them have removable batteries.

You haven't been following phones that much in the past few years have you?

For those still looking for a good Android tablet at good size, the Huawei MediaPad M3 (8.4) seems really nice. It will be likely getting Nougat within the next few months, which will be FANTASTIC because they really improved the software on that version. With that you will have a great high-res screen, performance, building quality, and battery life.

Coming from a Nexus 7 2013 as I talked about a few pages back, and wanting to upgrade, I really only see the MediaPad M3 8.4 as the single plausible solution that's an upgrade on ALL fronts. Samsung S3 or S2 isn't a choice because screen quality (in PPI) goes down. Plus I've been playing with it every day at work and I'm impressed with it. Incredible build quality, all aluminum, basically a bigger Huawei Nova, a gorgeous screen, to the point I just show off all the P9/Mate 9 photos to the costumers in the store on this tablet, and very good sound. It's snappy too, and now that it is indeed getting 7.0, I think I might bite.

For 350 euros, it's never going to be a once in a lifetime buy like the Nexus 7 was, but it's a very fair price in my opinion. I'm not in a rush so I might wait for a discount later down the road.

Pachimari

You haven't been following phones that much in the past few years have you?
So what do you really mean with this? The LG G5 had removable battery, so of course I had good reason to hope they would keep this feature to differentiate themselves from the competition.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Lotsa new S8 details by the Guardian:

A claimed retail launch of April 21st (this could be specific to the UK, as The Guardian is a UK publication)

Display sizes are somewhere between 5-6" (yeah, not helpful, guys)

Headphone jack is intact

Displays are curved, nearly bezel-less "infinity" screens, with almost no room on the front for even a Samsung logo.

Fingerprint scanner is now on the back of the phone (I believe it's next to the camera module, off to the side).

Iris scanner from Note7 is present.

Storage now starts at 64GB, microSD card remains.

USB-C

New Gear VR and Gear 360

Similar camera to last year's phones, improvements only "incremental."

Unspecified chipset, but Guardian hedges on Snapdragon 835.

A dock and software that turn the phone into an Android "desktop" operating environment called DeX.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...lay-rear-fingerprint-scanner-desktop-os-mode/

reKon

Banned
So what do you really mean with this? The LG G5 had removable battery, so of course I had good reason to hope they would keep this feature to differentiate themselves from the competition.

I mean that flagships in the past few years typically didn't have this feature. The G5 was the exception and this did not benefit them as much as they wanted it to.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly I wouldn't mind more 821 phones on the market IF that meant we'd get better initial pricing.

That's not gonna happen though.

Ultratech

I'll only help if you weren't one of the people going all, "Well, my 5X has never bootlooped!" when us owners were complaining about LG.

Give us more criteria. Price? Nextbit Robin is a great phone for the price.

Hmm...don't think I did. Given what I've read about it in the past, it seemed inevitable. :\

The Robin doesn't look too bad though. Price isn't bad either.

iPhone 7 Plus with Apple Care

Eh...not a big fan of Apple and their ecosystem.

Xperia XZ

Looks nice, but a wee bit expensive. Was trying to keep it under $500.

teiresias

Really excited to get the updated Voice app and move off of using Hangouts for SMS!!

Anyone know how I go about doing that on the phone? There was a whole process for migrating to Hangouts for messaging back in the day.

Jeffrey

This doesn't look bad.

Was also looking at the ZTE Axon 7
(I think a guy at work has one of these; may ask him.)

its a great phone for the price. Do note the skin is a bit hefty, not the slickest thing around, also its a 5.5" so bigger than your 5x.

loud as hell front speakers, good audio DAC for headphone listening, ok camera. 1440p amoled screen that no other phone in this price range can compete with.

nougat within this week unless delay that will add Daydream support too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just used Apple Pay on my phone when checking out at a website. Why doesn't Android Pay do this? It's so slick. Or does it exist but no websites use it?

madmook

Enjoying my Moto Z Play so far, got a Play Store question: I know some apps have had newer versions released in the past day or so (Firefox, Google Voice and Messenger), but they are not showing up in the Play Store with the update available. Does it take some time before updated apps show up on the Play Store?

Bboy AJ

I use it on seamless all the time.
It needs to be standard. It's ridiculously convenient and gets around the problem of having to input my credit card at different websites. And takes some control from PayPal, which is always good.

Top Bottom