• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Paganmoon

The one on the right is a Huawei and the one on the left is some Japanese off-brand thing made my Foxconn. I've heard it has bad reception, wonky Bluetooth and no support for apps yet. Pretty expensive, too.

I hear you need a separate smartphone for voice communication too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looks like there's another Switch owner in the OT. Nice! I bought mine impulsively. I have a never used Wii U and planned on getting Zelda for it. But then I got weak :(

This thing isn't pocketable. The screen doesn't match Samsung screens either.

Jeffrey

Looks like there's another Switch owner in the OT. Nice! I bought mine impulsively. I have a never used Wii U and planned on getting Zelda for it. But then I got weak :(

I can kinda fit it in my khakis but that's without the joycons. Don't see the point though. The only game I got is zelda and it hurts my eyes squinting at the font on the small screen.

It does seem all my usb C stuff work fine charging the system though which is great.

neither does the cost.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It would have been a really cool idea if Nintendo made an Android tablet that's the Switch. Some custom kind of Android. I can see people buying their kids a Switch if it hits the tablet notes but is also a game system, too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Was close to ordering that G5 yesterday just cause of the price.

That boot loop scares the FUCK out of me though. So I couldn't do it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Bought a Mate 9 in the US? Put your imei in this to get a neat accessory pack: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MY6ZJ6F

Comes with a 9V/2A charger (a standard fast charger not a fancy Supercharger), USB-C to Micro-USB adapter, a USB Type-C to USB Type-A data cable and a Selfie Stick.

eebd4d58-a17d-4bd9-96f2-87e77d9b3db7.jpg

I bought a non us Mate 9 :/

Toki767

they already do with the 12 inch ipad pro

edit: just realized it was said ahha. Lightning to usb C has the added potential of letting users plug it into their macbooks and presumably new PCs.

This actually caused the Switch to charge the MacBook and not the other way around.

Mindwipe

It would have been a really cool idea if Nintendo made an Android tablet that's the Switch. Some custom kind of Android. I can see people buying their kids a Switch if it hits the tablet notes but is also a game system, too.

That's exactly what I said in Gaming.

I mean, they made a tablet. That's clearly what they wanted to do. But they chickened out.

"Zelda needs access to:

Phone
Contacts
Pictures
SMS
Camera
Microphone"

For all of you that mentioned the fact Spotify, GPM, VLC, etc, lockscreen controls did not show up on Huawei phones...

With Emui 5.1 it looks like this is finally solved. Spotify, GPM and VLC all display lockscreen controls for me on the P10.

Hopefully they'll roll this out to the Mate 9 and other phones, because this is such a basic function of using a smartphone, and I can't believe it took so long to fix this.

Screenshot_20170304_011504.png

ty_hot

For all of you that mentioned the fact Spotify, GPM, VLC, etc, lockscreen controls did not show up on Huawei phones...

With Emui 5.1 it looks like this is finally solved. Spotify, GPM and VLC all display lockscreen controls for me on the P10.

Hopefully they'll roll this out to the Mate 9 and other phones, because this is such a basic function of using a smartphone, and I can't believe it took so long to fix this.

Show us some good photos taken with your P10! And tell us how much better it is comparing to the P9

GrapeApes

Got a honor 8 and the lockscreen controls are ass. It's great that I can now pause from there but anytime I try to hit play on my podcast app it requires a PIN. Then there's no 15 sec fast forward. Just using it as a backup phone for now. Too many little annoying quirks with Emui for daily use.

Bboy AJ

"Zelda needs access to:

Phone
Contacts
Pictures
SMS
Camera
Microphone"

Don't forget that nintendo is the most anal about piracy and copyright stuff.

Yeah it's too easy to root Android devices and find pirated apks.
Good points. It doesn't have to be Android. They could have just made a solid tablet with their actual games on it. A Switch with proper tablet abilities. It'd be great. They could still do it.

Show us some good photos taken with your P10! And tell us how much better it is comparing to the P9

Will try to take some quickly. I usually focus on the macro/bokeh shots, hope you don't mind, but I'll take some normal ones too.

I'll report on that too, but honestly, so far I can't tell much differences apart from the P9 to the P10 from a practical standpoint. The thing is even though there are differences technically, like the CPU speed, the practical gains right now are none there for example. The camera photography is almost the same even, with 20MP on B&W, but with the same sensors. You can do B&W bokeh, and front camera bokeh on the P10 too, but it's an incremental upgrade, and I'm stretching it. It's basically the same camera hardware wise. Other things like the screen are equal I terms of ppi and resolution, just a tiny bit better in brightness, which was one of the things Huawei could've improved (although I find 1080p more than enough).

It feels very much like an incremental upgrade, like a iPhone x to an iPhone xS. It has a lot of better things it is true, it's just many of them will not be or are not visible like, yes it has 4gb Ram, yes it has a faster CPU, yes it has 64gb of storage, but the speed is the same, it's super fast like the P9 was, and storage while always better, it's not a life or death case of not having space for installing apps. It doesn't make one say wow coming from the P9, it is an incremental upgrade, not a generational one, but it's definitely a step up from the 9.

I think this is very normal too, smartphones are so good right now it's hard to come up with generational differences every year.

Good points so far, I barely spent time with it today, last 2 days at work were crushing:
- Video is much better.
- Charges so fast it's even sickening, huge upgrade over the already fast P9, I got 23%+ charge in 10 minutes
- Android buttons are mapped to the FP sensor, and work very well, leaving more room on the screen
- Screen is noticeably brighter, and with better viewing angles.
- much faster at heavy games

The P10 is a small Mate 9 basically. It is exactly the same, spec for spec.

The P10 Plus is the real deal here, specially for the camera, it's just much better in low light from when I took photos with both. But yeah the Plus is the top dawg and is meant to be the top dawg. Meant in theory to be that generational leap.

I pray Huawei has done things right and positioned both products just right, specially when they chose to make the P10 so inferior to the Plus.

@GrapeApes man that's even more absurd lol, that makes no sense whatsoever, it almost feels Huawei is trolling you, you get the lockscreen notification and then you press the button and it proceeds to try and unlock the phone. Wtf

GrapeApes

@GrapeApes man that's even more absurd lol, that makes no sense whatsoever, it almost feels Huawei is trolling you, you get the lockscreen notification and then you press the button and it proceeds to try and unlock the phone. Wtf
Yeah, shit is super lame. It will let me click play if I press back from the PIN screen and then if I try to pause the PIN screen comes back up again. I can just quickly unlock my phone and pause myself but it would be a nuisance when driving. Also not having a previous track button also sucks. Huawei is failing on some real basic stuff.

ty_hot

My gf is traveling and someone stole her 6P. First night out and she accomplish that. The phone is huge and she leaves it in the back of her jeans... She was basically asking for that to happen. Argh.

Anyway, the device has the pre boot password, so I guess there is no way to turn it on without the pass, right? It also have her fingerprint after it boots.

We have the IMEI and we can't track the phone (it's turned off). Anything we could do? If I could I would explode the phone remotely lol.

Jeffrey

Will try to take some quickly. I usually focus on the macro/bokeh shots, hope you don't mind, but I'll take some normal ones too.

I'll report on that too, but honestly, so far I can't tell much differences apart from the P9 to the P10 from a practical standpoint. The thing is even though there are differences technically, like the CPU speed, the practical gains right now are none there for example. The camera photography is almost the same even, with 20MP on B&W, but with the same sensors. You can do B&W bokeh, and front camera bokeh on the P10 too, but it's an incremental upgrade, and I'm stretching it. It's basically the same camera hardware wise. Other things like the screen are equal I terms of ppi and resolution, just a tiny bit better in brightness, which was one of the things Huawei could've improved (although I find 1080p more than enough).

It feels very much like an incremental upgrade, like a iPhone x to an iPhone xS. It has a lot of better things it is true, it's just many of them will not be or are not visible like, yes it has 4gb Ram, yes it has a faster CPU, yes it has 64gb of storage, but the speed is the same, it's super fast like the P9 was, and storage while always better, it's not a life or death case of not having space for installing apps. It doesn't make one say wow coming from the P9, it is an incremental upgrade, not a generational one, but it's definitely a step up from the 9.

I think this is very normal too, smartphones are so good right now it's hard to come up with generational differences every year.

Good points so far, I barely spent time with it today, last 2 days at work were crushing:
- Video is much better.
- Charges so fast it's even sickening, huge upgrade over the already fast P9, I got 23%+ charge in 10 minutes
- Android buttons are mapped to the FP sensor, and work very well, leaving more room on the screen
- Screen is noticeably brighter, and with better viewing angles.
- much faster at heavy games

The P10 is a small Mate 9 basically. It is exactly the same, spec for spec.

The P10 Plus is the real deal here, specially for the camera, it's just much better in low light from when I took photos with both. But yeah the Plus is the top dawg and is meant to be the top dawg. Meant in theory to be that generational leap.

I pray Huawei has done things right and positioned both products just right, specially when they chose to make the P10 so inferior to the Plus.

The biggest I have with Huawei and most China folks besides lockscreen is the crazy memory management.

4gb ram on the mate 9 might as well be 2gb on a stock rom.

My podcast app stops when I take a picture lol.

Yeah that's why I preordered a P10 Plus. The f/1.8 improved cameras, 6GB of RAM, 128Gb storage, QHD screen (normal 16:9 ratio too), 3,750mah battery, IR blaster (I still care damnit). Specs wise, I found it more exciting than even the LG G6 or S8 this spring, and I don't like those 18:9 aspect ratios they're going with (you're gonna get a letterboxed 5.1" image for most media).
The biggest I have with Huawei and most China folks besides lockscreen is the crazy memory management.

4gb ram on the mate 9 might as well be 2gb on a stock rom.

My podcast app stops when I take a picture lol.
Can you manually turn this off? Can't imagine I'm gonna need it with 6GB of RAM.

ty_hot

Nintendo is going to shit themselves when they find out what the piracy rate of Super Mario Run is. The reason most phone games went freemium was because of the sheer magnitude of Android piracy.
Which is why it only runs online. To avoid piracy. Maybe someone will patch it to work offline though.

Pachimari

When is the Samsung Galaxy S8 supposed to hit stores?

I'm looking for a new phone since I broke my iPhone 6 last summer. I was looking at the Huawei P8 Lite and the Sony Xperia E5 but both seem to be lacking in performance. So I might just as well wait for Samsung's flagship if it comes out this Spring.

I'm looking for a new phone since I broke my iPhone 6 last summer. I was looking at the Huawei P8 Lite and the Sony Xperia E5 but both seem to be lacking in performance. So I might just as well wait for Samsung's flagship if it comes out this Spring.
End April.

april 21

Top Bottom